Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'd be satisfied with Vice City 1.5: Now with more missions and cool radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I really hope RDR comes to the PC Eventually, if not ill just do what I planned anyway; to get a 360/ps3 when the next generation arrived to play games I missed due them not being on the PC.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

I've been looking into replaying GTA3, VC and SA and was considering getting some mods but all I found was funky and terrible lovely makeshift mods that I don't want. I was wondering if there are any "essential" mods for any of those three games?

Thing to do in San Andreas when you are dead or something like that is the only half competent mod I've ever played for those games, but I never really thought of it as needed so I got rid of it.

I still love the games and I am crazy enough that I 110%'d every major 3d GTA so far and for VC and SA I did it multiple times if we exclude package-like collectables.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I use a gamepad for missions where I do not have to shoot at all from my vehicle, sometimes I use a gamepad all the time; sometimes purely m+kb.

Embrace the options. :)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

So is GTA4 playable on PC nowadays?
It's still a bit hit and miss and having a good processor helps a lot.

That said I completed GTA4 and EFLC multiple times on a 3.0ghz Core2Duo with an 8800gt with pretty high settings.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I can't figure out a good control option for San Andreas. For some reason, I don't think the game lets the right stick control the camera while driving.

It never did for me either, but you can just download a free (aka older) version of xpadder and set the numpad keys or something to the right stick to work around it.

That way you can just copy the PS2 controls.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

It will be a standalone 16gb download.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It'd be really cool to set the game in a bit city, LA or SF or Miami but have more than one time period in the same setting.

So for the first half of the game you might be doing late 70s/early 80s Starsky & Hutch or Miami Vice type stuff but then halfway through the game moves to the modern day so the streets are the same but the cars, pedestrians and shops are different. Unlikely I know given the problems that would cause for art/audio assets but it'd be a great gimmick.
Mafia 2 more or less did that, it went from a winter late 40's to a mid 50's theme; it worked really nicely and looked great.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Also, how's Mafia 2? It came free with my new videocard.
A lot of wasted potential and a bit too much driving in the missions; if you see it as a mission based game it works a lot better; Technically I would say the game looks and runs better then GTA4 at least with regards to how much detail they managed to fit into the city and npc's.
It's a fun, good but not great game with some jarring flaws and bad publisher decisions keeping it down some more.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Gay Tony is better from a gameplay perspective; so just play that one last.
While not oscar worthy the story isn't bad, slightly worse then Lost and Damned, but some of the further refinements and mission setpieces make TLaD look very anticlimatic if you play it last.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

SA's story isn't its best thing, but it works okay enough in each city itself.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Is GTA 4 just bad
No.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

GTA discussions after IV came out always make me feel like I am weird for loving both the GTA3/VC/SA and IV/TLaD/BoGT era equally; they are just different takes on the same formula and both of the "sets" have things they do better then the other.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

Alright, so apparently people are getting their PS3 controllers to work in San Andreas by making them emulate a 360 controller, but is there any way to get an actual 360 controller to work properly? I tried to set up my wired controller and neither analog trigger is registered by the game, and neither is the d-pad. I mean, I guess I could set it up for the most basic of controls and leave out the radio station switching or whatever, but I'd like to get all buttons working so it controls more like the PS2 version.

Just bind the keys ingame and use Xpadder for the few things you cant bind ingame.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I liked that there where gans gunning for you in GTA3 a lot though, SA probably handled it best with making it not be everywhere but still fun/important.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Samopsa posted:

The one where you bust into the prison has almost no dialogue, and the way Jim dies offscreen is also pretty lame.
Must be a bug, I had decent ammounts of dialog in the final mission.
Although that used a generic model in GTA4 itself, Niko had a mission involving that spoiler.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I can actually see that young boy fighting for the rights to party hard being a casting call for Bully 2.

Bully 2 would rule, Bully is an amazing game that almost everybody that played it liked.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Cage posted:

How to not suck at police chases:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSIX4aQMUbg

I picked a pretty slow/boaty car, and even got my tire shot out 3/4ths through. If the cops see you on one street they will keep deploying on that street, make a quick turn when they can't see you.

How did you get rid of the grey filter over everything and get it to look so clean?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Himuro posted:

Clean? Looks like it's missing shadows and lighting and well, everything really.

Yeah that is obvious, but somehow he also managed to get rid of the grey filter that is over the game and his colors are actually not shades of grey.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

The only good radio station in GTAIII was Flash FM. It was nothing but music from Scarface. :colbert:
Flashback FM Goonsir. :eng101:
Also: The classical station.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

There is a luxury car dealer on Algonquin somewhat south of the middle bridge.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

robot roll call posted:

The two story one with the big windows? I loved driving cars out of those.
Thats the one.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

screaden posted:

You can chain link them up too, there is a tip/construction site near the huge mountain which has an infintely respawning towtruck. Just hook one up to the other, park it, run back and get another one, link it up,

I think I still have a screenshot of my 20+ towtruck chain somewhere. it was glorious.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I am very much looking forward to Saints Row: The Third, but GTA is just a different take on the concept.
They can do plenty of wacky things, look at Yussef, Vice city in general, The Truth etc. but it is just a different take on the genre.

They can co-exist.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

precision posted:

...you can go inside the hospital?!

Why did I never try that!
There is a storyline mission to do just that, guess you never beat the game. (Or just forgot, I tend to forget details like that myself)

One thing I dislike about BoGT is that you can't enter Bahama Mama's after the mission or before the mission involving it; teleporting in with the native trainer has the club being empty even during nights. :(

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

It's a bit conflicting that the story is pretty drat good for about the first half, especially the move to Bohan.
But the better missions are almost always in the second half.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

csidle posted:

Yes. Great car for fast driving. Probably my favourite, although I prefer the Sultan XS over the stock. Are there no mods to remedy the car-spawn thing? :(

Get the simple native trainer and just spawn the car you want; its not really cheating if you only use it for that.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I don't know where you can find it; but this is the best car mod for gta4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOEnbJYn1Bc

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

So is the DLC for gta4 worth it? Do they actually expand the base game and improve it or is it just slapped on mission packs and some new vehicles?
The DLC together are more or less the next full GTA release, hell they are both individually longer then a lot of newly released games nowadays.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

They didn't touch the handling of non-bikes as far as we know, I think you might be the first person to complain about it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Gils posted:

Does anyone have a good video to teach me how to fly a plane in SA? I'm so terrible at it, I just can't figure out how to make good turns. Does it show up in a lot of the Las Venturas missions?
If you have a gamepad, just use that for flying.
It goes from gently caress-this to second nature.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I watched the single segment run, the 100% run in 9hours and his gTA3 100% speedrun.

I have 100%'d all those games but he tears the game a new one.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Digital control matters little for the 3/vc/sa era anyway; the steering model is very different and stuff so you probably wont even miss analog controls.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

GTA 3: Clipped wing dodo plane
GTA:VC Helicopters and a water plane
GTA:SA Heli's, planes, jetacks, VTOL aircraft, etc

Today; In spite of having over 100 unfinished games, I installed GTA:VC and have been playing it for4h straight now; the game is showing its age a bit with regards to the character models but everything else is still a blast.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Eurodance is awesome :colbert:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

GTA4 has a weird port and it is also optimized for the 360's 3 cores..so yeah.
On top of that it is very hit and miss; my old C2D-3.0ghz 8800gt system ran it above 30fps on medium while I have friends with much better systems barely able to run it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

So I am replaying Vice City and I just discovered that there's a counter for how many times you can consecutively bounce a beach ball on your head. Is there a reward if I do this enough times? I got it up to ten while playing. Its so cool that I've had the game for years and am still discovering new things in it.

Nope, Andreas had a whole minigame but it doesn't count towards 100% progress

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

It's reasons like this that I wish I had a PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSNDGLNqe3U

It's San Andreas recreated in GTA IV...and it looks really good.

I really want a HD remake of the GTA3 era games now; that looks amazing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I forgot the exact timing but start the mission and hold forward while it is loading so you dive as soon as possible, keep that for 10 (11, 12?) seconds then use the parachute; do the rapid decent on the chute when you are above the second circle of the target.

Something like that, Took me a while but I did get it eventual for my 100% savegame.
gently caress City Sleeking Gold in the driving school though; that one is 100x more annoying and random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

GUI posted:

At what settings are the people complaining about GTAIV's PC performance running it on? I keep hearing it's a bad port, but for all I know it could be just another case of PC gamers angry that they can't run something with shadows enabled alongside every draw/detail distance at max.

You need: High End Dual core
Nvidia 8800gt or better card
4gigs ram

Then it will probably run decent. (Native resolution, density's and draw distance about 25% of max and medium details) the main problem with the PC version is the hit-and-miss preformance. Identical systems can have extremely different preformance.

• Locked thread