Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

No. PC came out over half a year later. They took their sweet time announcing it and wouldn't confirm it existing prior either. That said, the PC version wasn't playable for anyone without a brand new, overpowered computer for at least another year.

I could run Crysis on high settings, but screw trying to play GTA IV at a remotely acceptable frame rate with everything low. When I say "acceptable," I'm setting the bar very low, to say, 15-20fps.

Being able to run Crysis versus GTA IV isn't an apples to apples comparison. Crysis is much more reliant on your GPU while GTA IV is heavily CPU dependent. GTA IV still wasn't very well optimized, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Well optimization is the crux of it, right? It's kind of lame for the developers to expect users to upgrade their CPU for one drat game when every single other PC game out there runs just fine for another 1.5 years afterwards.

My 2.66 GHz C2D 8800GT system is finally going to be overwhelmed by the upcoming wave of PC games in the next half year, but until now it's been fantastic and great value for almost four years* with the exception of GTA IV.

Crysis wasn't that well optimized either but the difference of a GPU reliant game is there are a bevy of options to customize to make it all work. If your CPU isn't up to snuff, there isn't as much that can be done to compensate. And don't get me wrong, I am not trying make bones over this. J

Himuro posted:

But looking at the supposedly leaked character profiles for gta5, we're going to be playing as cops this time. I truly think that would put a great spin on the formula.

:stare:

I am now holding you personally responsible should this turn out to be untrue because it sounds fantastic. I would also love it if over the course of your career, you crossed paths with the past "heroes" of Grand Theft Auto.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 6, 2011

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Himuro posted:

Just temper your expectations.

Too late!

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Another Castle posted:

This never bothers me nearly as much as it seems to bother everyone else. I think I kind of prefer it. To me it's like two different game modes.
I like having the semi-serious narrative (as heavy-handed as it comes out sometimes). When I do the psychotic rampage thing I don't really feel like I'm playing the same character, or any character really. I'm just playing some arcade-style game for fun. When I get bored with that I'll go back to the main story and pick up where I left off.
The two separate, co-existing styles is a lot of what makes the GTA formula (and the sandbox formula in general) work for me. I suppose if anything had to change, maybe a less rigid story path would work; more branching paths or ways to change the world in a meaningful way. Though really I'm happy with the current style.

This is how I feel. The only time I am actually using the character/person of Claude/Tommy/CJ/Niko is when I am in-mission. All the times outside of that, it does not matter to me what the controlled character says/does/looks like. It never crosses my mind that Niko's motivations don't line up with me cruising in a tank all aroudn town.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Is Vice City for the PC compatible with an XBox 360 controller or at least can Xpadder be used?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
The size and scope of San Andreas is amazing when you consider it was on the PS2 and there were no load screens as you traveled between areas.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Whalley posted:

Europe's been making fun of America just fine for a long while now. Besides, National Lampoon's European Vacation made pretty good fun of America despite being entirely not set in America. I'd rather it get set in a parody of
but it's not like it would be impossible to set it in Europe.

DC would be pretty cool, so long as you accurately depicted how loving confusing the Metro system is the first time you use it. Also all the political monuments and locations would be fantastic to steal a motorbike and ride it over. If they set one in DC I would really want an accurate depiction of Dupont Circle because I'm awesome with learning roads and streets and when I was there a couple years ago it was so confusing. Triangle-shaped city blocks mess with my head.

Really? Of all the subway systems I have used, the DC Metro has been by far the easiest to understand. Is it that they charge your fare based on distance traveled that you think is confusing for first timers?

And I think a DC knockoff with all the monuments and what not would be very distinctive and fun, albeit small. I can only imagine the new wave of poo poo that would come about from people being able to gun down politicians and what not, though.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Whalley posted:

It was my first subway and the sheer number of bridges and platforms facing all different directions, combined with having to pre-purchase tickets for distances that I had no idea I'd be travelling sent me into sensory overload :ohdear:

I even came from a city that had totally bangin' public transport!

That is understandable, actually. However you can purchase the rest of your fare at the end of your ride so long as your card has minimum fare. There is always a bank of fare machines at the exits.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

I'd say all the characters from IV will be completely ignored or there'll be another easter egg saying they're all dead. The GTA series was never big on continuity, so I don't know why people keep insisting that they'll see the same characters from game to game. Occasionally one would make a brief cameo, like Claude in San Andreas, but it was pretty rare except for maybe the DJs (who don't really count as "characters" in the game).

At the same time, though, Catalina was a recurring character throughout most of GTA:SA as were Kent Paul and Ken Rosenburg. Much more than simple cameos. Obviously the PS2 era games were not strict or direct sequel/prequel games to one another but they were obviously all constrained within the same "universe".

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Himuro posted:

Yep. But I wonder if they can carry over that same sense of lawlessness to modern times. Half the reason I think RDR worked was due to the setting because the random elements fell in line with the old western frontier feeling.

I don't see why not. Just call it 'State of Emergency' :v:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

davebo posted:

I just wanted to say god drat your avatar. I had just gotten that out of my head.

And in regards to open world games, would anyone here recommend Mafia 2 if I had a free download code that came with a graphics card from last year? If so, how does it compare to GTA? Mostly story based I assume, is the actual gameplay (combat/driving) much fun?

I am not terribly far in Mafia 2 but if you are expecting an openworld/sand-box game similar to GTA, it is not. Your exploration of the city is limited to mission at hand, which is unfortunate given how awesomely detailed the city is. I still enjoy it, though.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

blue squares posted:

It would be pretty awesome to play as a power hungry politician who splits his time between campaigning and causing mayhem.

Campaigning to clean up the streets from crime and mayhem you yourself are causing :tinfoil:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

davebo posted:

Edit: ^^ Why do I feel like it'd be hard to get away with crime in a place like that? (the sci fi one)

But that's the thing, they aren't making accurate maps of real cities. They'd just make a city similar to D.C. but change the layout so the missions would be more fun. I would like them to do this, then I'd like them to redo all the roads in D.C. to make it more like the game.

Indeed. Liberty City is clearly New York City without being New York City. Same with Los Santos, San Fierro, and Las Venturas. Making a "Capital City", the key component would be the monuments/iconic government center. Everything else is designed around making the game flow.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Rockstar Games are the weekend deal (different deal each day) so these guys are sure to be available on sale tomorrow or Sunday.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

mutata posted:

Not sure if you know, but Rockstar has more than a few studios. See http://jobs.rockstargames.com/ . For example, the first LA Noire trailer came out before GTA 4 was released and that and RDR have come out since then, not to mention the handheld stuff. There's more than enough resources to work on 2 or 3 big games at once.

A ton of studios but Rockstar North (which is working on Agent) is the one that handles all the GTA games. The only other games they have published are Manhunt and Red Dead Redemption and the bulk of RDR was done at Rockstar San Diego.

They are certainly capable of announcing a new GTA even with Agent still in the works but it is unlikely they come out in the same year.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Himuro posted:

I've been watching Ugly Betty and the setting of the show is NYC and you wouldn't believe this by watching the show.

They green screened the poo poo out of everything towards the end.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
For anyone interested in using a controller in GTA III or Vice City (Xbox 360 specifically), here is a write up on what to use and how to set it up

It is not perfect and takes 10-15 minutes to set up but I have found it to be worth it considering I (and my wife) prefer to use my laptop undocked in our living room leaving me without a mouse.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Himuro posted:

Finally loving did it.

How did you do it?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Speaking of real car mods, is there one for GTA IV that works with Steam?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Himuro posted:

Is there a way to enhance GTASA character models?

They look noticably dated compared to III and VC's for some reason. Characters have color and everything. I'm playing 32 bit and jesus.

Really? I am playing III right now and they are incredibly dated. I mean, obviously it is still good with the mindset of "this came out in 2001" but it also clearly came out in 2001.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Doppelganger posted:

Also, particularly in SA, can I get a loving RIDE? Why does every single character insist that I drive them around in their car?

'Cause you a BUSTA, Doppleganger.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Doppelganger posted:

It also didn't help that his brother was a controlling, short-sighted idiot.

"Man gently caress you CJ! Sure you've done every single I told you to do since you got back, brought unprecedented wealth to our family, AND just sprung my rear end from prison, but what have you done for the hood lately? You're a joke!"

You know what Sweet? Take the hood and shove it up your rear end. You want to spend the rest of your life fighting over some dirty ghetto? Go right ahead. I'm through wasting my energy on your small-time bullshit. I own a goddamned JETPACK now!

And you wonder why you have to drive everywhere. Like I said, Doppelganger, you a busta.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

K8.0 posted:

He's completely full of poo poo. They didn't really change much of anything, the fastest cars still handle like a San Andreas Trashmaster. I don't know if the 360/PS3 got an equivalent patch.

Well this simply is not true.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

Alright, so apparently people are getting their PS3 controllers to work in San Andreas by making them emulate a 360 controller, but is there any way to get an actual 360 controller to work properly? I tried to set up my wired controller and neither analog trigger is registered by the game, and neither is the d-pad. I mean, I guess I could set it up for the most basic of controls and leave out the radio station switching or whatever, but I'd like to get all buttons working so it controls more like the PS2 version.

You can try using the set up in this link:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848465

But I am assuming the second analog stick works properly? If it does, I would just use Zedd suggestion since that would work way faster.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

As I recall, the Love thing just kinda ends because originally you were supposed to fly a plane into his tower.

For some reason they cut that out, though.

Weird. I wonder what happened to lead Rockstar to edit something like that out.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

I learned the hard way that any changes to the weapon stats file were global.

:kiddo: Oh hell yes gonna make the shotgun fully automatic and have tons of range and and ohgodmafiatur-

*bambambambambambam*

:supaburn:

This gave me a belly laugh.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Doppelganger posted:

Did you guys play GTA3 with trails on or off? I was so used to it by the time I realized it was an option that it didn't look right to me without them. It makes everything looks semi-hazy and dreamlike, which to me really fit the mood of the game.

I turned them off in VC though, because they looked terrible.

I know I must have had them on when I played it on PS2 because I didn't know about the option until I bought the classic pack last weekend and was like "what the gently caress is wrong with my FPS?" Turned them off and now the game feels way more foreign. I think I will be turning them back on because with out it the game just looks... ugly. (and that's not just the 2001 graphics)

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Himuro posted:

I'm betting GTA5 will have multiple main characters due to that "leak" (if it's true) as well.

Playing as both a cop and a gangster would be neat.

Especially if you got to play both sides of a crime. Hell, make that the bridge between them... catching the gangster being the last mission of the cop and then taking over as the gangster to break out and continue your crime spree.

Also, do you have a link to the link stuff?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Zedd posted:

I don't know where you can find it; but this is the best car mod for gta4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOEnbJYn1Bc

That mod is more detailed but the true BTTF experience is found in Crysis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZAaKH0FYO8

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

spincube posted:

I like Vice City because you're placed in the flashy, materialistic part of town from the beginning of the game; the slummy, lovely parts of the city unlock later in the game, by which time you're done with stealing not-Lambos and not-Ferraris.

Do the Steam games play nice with wired Xbox360 controllers?

You need to use a 3rd party mapper like Xpadder or Joy2Play but once you tweak it, it works well.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Fat_Cow posted:

Is the GTA 4 PC thread dead? I posted a question in there and the thread sunk away.

More or less. Most of us have played through GTA4 and can hopefully provide an answer.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Zedd posted:

And then you finish IV and are left with over a million and nothing to spend it on.
(sure Roman wasted all of it storywise but you never see that ingame)

I honestly never felt like money was ever really an issue in the first half of GTA IV unless I got busted by the cops and needed to be re-buy my guns. And once you finish Three Leaf Clover, it felt like a non-factor.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

The best thing a new Grand Theft Auto can do is adding some good checkpoints to their missions. I think Ballad of Gay Tony fixed this for the most part. But GTA4 was infuriating because I remember I kept failing that Elizabeta mission at the abandoned hospital and having to drive back there each and every time.

Any mission that required you to go somewhere else to trigger the actual event was just awful if you had to restart. I can dig being loose on check points and they at least are throwing you a bone with the cellphone restart but poo poo... there is no reason for me to have to go pick up the Comet again after losing the race with Brucie or drive with Packie back to the pier and climb up to the roof after the first time.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I didn't forget about, it's just a poor workaround to the much more sensible option of restarting you at a meaningful part of the mission.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Knightmare posted:

When I die in GTA5 I want the game to rewind three seconds that way I'll never be inconvenienced ever for my bad GTA skills.

Don't be a dick bag, it's not an unreasonable complaint.

trandorian posted:

You get penalized for failing a mission. That's all. Heck you can even get to the mission point immediately by telling the cab to skip.

If that's how you choose to see it, okay. I didn't consider it a penalty, just a poor design decision when needing to restart a mission. To me, the journey stuff is so inconsequential I would have rather seen them place you back at the point where your actual objective takes shape.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 16, 2011

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, what are your ingame settings at? The game isn't very well optimized and if you try to max out the draw distance and what not, there aren't many systems that can run it smoothly.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

CVagts posted:

Someone's trying to tell me there's a big rumor that GTA5 is going to be WiiU-exclusive. That's complete bullshit, right?

Can't wait for this. I'd honestly be surprised if we got this before the holiday season next year, but maybe it's further along than I realize.

Have you been hanging around the GameFAQs GTA boards? Cause that would be ridiculous.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I can't wait until none of us are able to watch the trailer until this afternoon due to server crashes.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Policenaut posted:

But some of us might make it and get to see it, and then relay that information back.

It's the digital equivalent to salmon swimming up a waterfall.

We'll all get there... some day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

chamois posted:

Welp, I got to 1:02. That's something I guess.

Haha, me too.

Looks fun, I am excited.

• Locked thread