Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

I never tried any of the graphics improvements as my aging computer chokes on the normal game's level of detail and whatnot, but for managing cars your best bet is notepad++ and pastebin. You'll be using SparkIV to edit your vehicles.img file, and notepad++ is handy for editing handling.dat, vehicles.ide, and carcols.dat. Also it's suggested you back up those files _every_ time you mod in a new car. loving up the values in vehicles.ide can make a bad problem become a game stopper.

I think it's due to the way most modders release their stuff, there is nothing like... say, Fallout Mod Manager for GTA4 :\ There's a few managers kicking around, but nothing that will get along with every mod available.

Simple Native Trainer though is a really fun tool to screw around with :q:

I tried a few cop car mods but couldn't get them to work as fully as I'd hoped so I've given up on vehicle replacement; instead I went and made the FIB Buffalo indestructible and super fast with nimble handling. Godddamn is it handy that game puts your cheat codes in your cell phone you only have to type them in once... If it weren't for that I'd probably end up making a bunch of trips to pick up that hidden Sultan RS, which would get boring fast.

I'd be glad to give you the handling.dat text line for it; it isn't specific for that one car and can be used to make any vehicle awesome. But if you pick a different car, yours won't be the only awesome one - any others in the game will be just as awesome as yours, so if it's common in traffic you'll be best advised to pick a different one. The great thing about using the FIB Buffalo for this is that it's super rare without the cheat code.

Just beware, if your computer isn't as powerful as mine you might end up driving so fast your computer can't keep up...

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Doesn't seem like any of you have heard of LA Noire... you play the part of a good cop in postwar Los Angeles and work your way up through the ranks to be a detective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LfZq_OdU80

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

fuckpot posted:

They need to get rid of airports. They are a total waste of space.

Disagreed. Half the fun in GTA4 MP is the airport. And if you don't mind tweaking handling.dat a bit, you can make your car indestructible so you can have all the fun you want in SP regardless of that ridiculous 4-star wanted rating.

Someone mentioned that consoles have good driving mechanics and PC has good shooting mechanics - I got a XBox 360 controller for my PC and I can switch between that and the keyboard/mouse at will. The little "push this button to do something" messages change too.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 8, 2011

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cage posted:

Use your brakes, the vehicles aren't slot cars anymore. Don't brake and turn at the same time either. Also don't use the handbrake unless you need to make a 180.

The tweaks I did to my handy-dandy cheat code FIB Buffalo convinced me once and for all that whenever you brake, use the handbrake AND the normal brake at once, you'll stop quicker (MUCH quicker with my tweaks) no matter what you're driving. Handbrake and foot brake to slow down, handbrake to start the bend, gas to finish it.

And whenever I'm driving anything else it works the same way, they're just not as fast. The Feltzer is a lot of fun to drift around corners with, that mission where I kidnap the Italian girl in her pink Feltzer was awesome.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Just finished the GTA 4 storyline this morning.

It does need to be mentioned that GTA 4 is only superficially similar to older games like Vice City. Sure, you drive around fast and run over people and cause some mayhem, but I never did end up flying a remote control plane to drop grenades onto evil guys' boats, or anything like that. Kinda makes me feel like GTA 4 and GTA VC simply defy comparison.

In GTA 4 what really makes me mad is that I can't move Niko around as quickly as, for example, I myself can move. Take the example of the last mission when you jump down onto the dock and get on a bike to chase the mobster in the boat along the shore. Jump too far and land in the water? Sucks for you, by the time you actually manage to get Niko up on the ladder and onto the bike, that mobster is gonna be halfway to Vice City. Ladders, swimming, swimming towards ladders, and most anything involving trying to move around lots of stuff close to you in a hurry really sucks, especially when I'm used to COD and BFBC2 where movement in close quarters is fluid, fast and easy. It's way too much trouble to just turn around and run away so you can hide behind something, especially if there's anything at all in your way.

The cover system is kinda cumbersome and ridiculously unrealistic that you can see around the cover you're hiding behind without poking your head out, but it generally works well. I do like seeing how many blindfire headshots I can get.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Calling movement in any DICE game smooth is more than a little :wtc:, but yeah. Euphoria is cool, but staggering and the other effects it has are some of those things that are fun to do but usually not fun to have done to you. It feels like Niko has the same physics thresholds as everyone else, while the game would play a lot better if he was more physically capable and could do cool poo poo like sliding or running across the hood of a moving car if you jump across it.
At least in BFBC2 or COD I don't have to run around in circles to reorient myself after I try to do something as laughable as turning around to run back for cover when evil bitches are shooting at me. Just a mouse twitch and go.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, don't get me started on GTA IV's "moral choices". Do you kill this person or let them go? Doesn't loving matter at all, but here have a slightly different cutscene! You don't even know these people before you're pointing a gun at them, and killing them has absolutely no impact on you or repercussions on the story. And the execution animations are just that... animations. No bonus or penalty for doing an execution, no reputation lost or gained.
Not entirely true. Around the middle of the storyline, you get to choose whether to kill that playboy guy or his creepy brother Dwayne. If you kill that playboy guy, you get his condo as a new safehouse, Dwayne becomes your friend, and Niko is satisfied. If you get Dwayne to like you enough you can call him for backup. If you kill his creepy brother Dwayne, you get a lot of money, but the playboy calls you "cold" and leaves you.

Also, near the end of the storyline you get a chance to make a heroin deal with an evil Russian guy, Dimitri Rascalov, or to kill him and get revenge. If you make the deal, Dimitri betrays you, Roman later gets killed at his wedding, and you end up in a helicopter chasing after Rascalov's helicopter. If you get revenge, Pegorino, who called you to make the deal, gets pissed and tries to kill you at Roman's wedding but hits Kate instead. Later on you chase Pegorino to an old abandoned building, kill a bunch of thugs, and jump a motorbike off a ramp to get into a helicopter to chase Pegorino as he runs off in a boat.

The execution choices don't affect much except the dialogue in the car as you leave. With the other choices, going for the money tends to be the bad choice rather than following Niko's principles and going for revenge.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 13, 2011

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I've had some ideas about possible future GTA's.

- Liberty City, 1987: CJ's story, a prequel to San Andreas. Sadly it'd be pretty much the same as all the other Liberty City GTA's, working for the mafia type stuff, but I guess you could put in something about the cocaine epidemic.

- Los Santos, 1984: CJ's Story, a pre-prequel to San Andreas, at the end you leave for LC.

- Or combine those, once you finish the game you get to fly between LS and LC at will (and maybe it saves the game in-flight).

- Based on Washington DC. (I think they've called it Capital City in the past?) Corrupt guvmint, that kinda stuff.

- Modern Vice City

- Another Rockstar game was set in rust belt Carcer City - maybe base it on Cleveland or Chicago?

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 15, 2011

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Peenweed posted:

I'm thinking about buying the GTA classics bundle on Steam because it's on sale. How well do they control using just a keyboard and mouse? I've never played any of them without using a controller and I'm not interested in getting one for my computer just for GTA.

Flying a helicopter is loving impossible without a controller but everything else is fine.

Evil Eagle posted:

GTA I, II, III, VC and SA are on sale today for a grand total of $7.49 on Steam.
:dance: hell yes.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I heard that after the "Hot Coffee mod" San Andreas got rated AO so they had to make it so no mods at all would work before they could get it back to being rated M... anyone care to verify? And will I still be able to install mods if I've downloaded it on Steam?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Lee Van Queef posted:

To play MTA (and probably other mods) with the Steam version of San Andreas, download this executable and put it in steamapps/common/grand theft auto san andreas (or whatever the SA folder is called). You shouldn't need to rename or overwrite anything; the regular Steam executable is called "gta-sa.exe" whereas this one (originally a no-DVD crack for the retail version) is called "gta_sa.exe."

The above-linked executable allows any version of the game to be modded.

awesome, thanks!

Curious that the one linked above is 14mb but the one from Steam is 5mb...

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

If you want realism in driving, play Forza.

But if you want an approximate approximation of realistic driving, play GTA 4. It gets fun when you know how to do it well.

Totally agree on the slow on-foot movement. People complain about sluggish movement in Bad Company 2... they haven't played GTA 4. People shooting at you and you wanna turn around? Ain't gonna be easy. Hiding behind cover and wanna move somehwere else quick? Absurd! Who'd ever wanna do that? Hiding behind cover and drop a grenade instead of throwing it because the controls are spotty? Guess you're just gonna have to get blown the hell up again.

[/rant]

Overall I thought GTA 4 was a great game, just sometimes it really pisses me off...

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So if I've already gotten GTA 4 on DVD can I download EFLC from Steam and have it either 1) tack itself onto my existing GTA 4 install or 2) have it as a standalone like EFLC for ps3?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

VanityHero posted:

I loved the way cars handled in GTA IV. with the weight and inertia and it felt so great when you made wicked high speed turns.
...and it felt so bad when I slid past them all sideways... Feltzer or Blista Compact. Problem solved.

I've never played any dedicated racing games like Gran Turismo or Forza, what would GTA be like with their driving mechanics?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

If you hate GTAIV driving then pop all your tires and drive as fast as you can around the city.

That's actually pretty fun, I was doing that some yesterday just dicking around...

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Lurchibles posted:

It's fun when you try to turn really tight corners and smack into a group of pedestrians.

I do that all the time anyway, bare rims or not...

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

The bike part, hmm... The only time I screwed that up was when I went over the first jump and the bike randomly flipped over forwards and I fell off, and in my panicked keyboard mashing :f5: the guy on the boat got away.

Don't just mash the gas the whole time on that part, UNTIL you get to the last tight bend around the boulders. Make good driving your priority til that part because it's more of a problem if you crash than if you drive too slow. But when you get to that turn past the boulders, take the turn as tightly as you can so you've got a straight shot off the jump on the shore, and mash the gas.

You'll get a cutscene with Niko catching the side of the helicopter, then you'll mash some buttons quickly, kinda like lifting weights in San Andreas, to climb up onto the helicopter, then you'll fly that and attack the boat. It'll blow up at the same time regardless of how much damage you've done to it, but only if you've damaged it - I can't fly worth a crap, let alone actually aim the thing, and in a random burst of gunfire I must have hit the boat as the helicopter tipped and yawed, then out of nowhere I get a cutscene with the boat crashing next to the Statue of Happiness where it's really easy to finish off.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Hey you with the blue car chase, you got a trainer, you cheatin. :colbert:

Tips for getting away from cops:
1. Never drive in a straight line.
2. Side streets are your friend.
3. Never drive in a straight line.
4. Never drive on the same road for more than 3 blocks.
4. Never drive in a straight line.
5. Never drive in a straight line.
6. Turn corners a lot.
> 6a. Brake early. High speed and tight corners do not mix.
> 6b. Use handbrake often.
7. Never drive in a straight line.
8. Never say never.

And since when could you tow stuff with a tractor in San Andreas?! Holy crap, they actually aren't 100% entirely, genuinely useless.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 25, 2011

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That mission is awesome. The suits, the constant gunbattles, the EVERYTHING.

I want more missions like that where it's just white knuckle tension and gunplay. GTA V has to have more of those.

Only if I get to chase a bank robber and/or run away from a cop through the edge of the airport.

The Departed is also good to leech missions from.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Same as the tow truck, use NUM8 and NUM2. Hooking up tractor trailers and towing things and using a forklift was one of my favorite things in SA. I was sad it was one of the things that didn't make it into GTAIV. They even have a forklift, but the forks don't move at all.

I think if they put something in the game, it should be functional. Too many things in GTAIV were "HEY PRESS THIS BUTTON TO DO THIS REALLY COOL THING IN THIS VEHICLE. But only in this mission. P.S. gently caress you."

I played San Andreas on PS2 originally, and I'm actually pretty sure you can pick up cars with it. Either that or one of the Driver games.

That pissed me off when I got to use the trash compactor in that garbage truck mission AND THEN NEVER AGAIN. I wanna mash a cop in that thing.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

another cool thing you can do on gtaiv is blow the propane tanks up under the food stalls on the street :)

Cool, not awesome. Go north from the docks in south Alderney, and if you're on the right street there'll be a grassy hill in front of you (still in the industrial section) with a billboard to the right. Go over the hill and if you've aimed right (or wrong, if you're just trying to get to the telephone to do the assassin missions) you'll run into/land on a set of super-explodey tanks. That's a wrong turn I'll never make again and/or I fully intend to make again. (Maybe I'll remember to jump out of the car early enough next time and not die)

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Whalley posted:

I don't like the idea of killing someone's pet, even if it's in a videogame. Nobody should like the idea of killing someone's pet.

Then don't. Just like running over pedestrians, you don't have to.

As for the damage system, it's better than in previous GTAs, where the fenders themselves were always pristine, and the only parts that would ever get damaged - and always the same damage - were the hood, doors, trunklid and windows. But it still kinda annoys me because the hood doesn't crumple like it ought to, it just gets shorter. IRL they never change size, they get bent into an inverted V shape - this never happens in GTA 4.

That said, I like to drive around in my tweaked FIB Buffalo, with a mass of 20,000, and see just how much damage I can do to cars. With that mass, plus a little extra speed, I find that sometimes when a car dares to come in my way, it might spontaneously catch fire or explode when I hit it...

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cage posted:

So I started downloading new car models for the first time ever a few days ago. Changing car models was pretty easy, but I just left handling.dat alone.

A few cars are extremely top heavy using the stock numbers so today I tried using the recommended settings that came with the wrx sti that I downloaded.

I think I did something wrong, somewhere.

One of the lines in handling.dat will make the wheels vanish if you put the value too high or too low. Don't know which though.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

csidle posted:

The one that looks like a 2008 BMW. Can't remember what it's called, but it's really rare. Might actually not be a BMW, but a Lexus or something. It's usually found in the fancy neighbourhood of New Jersey, it's fantastic. It's like a mini-limo.

That would be the Sentinel.

I quite like the Feltzer, it's like the Elegy from San Andreas. By far the best car for drifting.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Wait, what the hell? I hated the Washington with a passion. :stare: Please inform me of its redeeming qualities.

The Blista Compact is good, and the rusty junkers were cool just because they weren't really as bad as they looked. I very much like the Miami from TBOGT also.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Lee Van Queef posted:

There's no car called the Miami; he's probably thinking of the Tampa, the two-door muscle droptop with go-faster stripes.
Miami, Tampa, Tallahassee, somewhere in Florida. Whatever it is, it's a good car.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I hate to say it but flying a plane in San Andreas was insanely easy on a PS2.

Now mine's gone and I'm stuck with it on PC and it won't even recognize my xbox controller but but i wanna fly a goddamn plane and and and :cry:

edit: wait. i can't seem to recall trying out the xbox controller for GTA:SA on my laptop. welp, here's to hoping it works... (it works beautifully in GTA4)

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Underflow posted:

Wouldn't mind owning one IRL though.
I love our gun laws that allow stuff like this.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Along these lines of how a controller is better for acceleration control, when I did the San Andreas mission where you have to chase a plane on a motorcycle, I kept being too slow and I couldn't figure out why. I was using the default PS2 controls, where X is accelerate (same position as A on xbox IIRC.) I knew the buttons had some pressure sensitivity, but they were apparently more accurate than I thought - I tried squeezing the gently caress out of the controller to see if that would work, and sure enough, the bike went faster, I guess to emulate twisting the gently caress out of the handlebars (or mashing the gas or whatever).

So yeah, even the last-gen consoles had some degree of pressure sensitivity with normal buttons, not even the triggers they've got now. I wonder if computer keyboards will have that for use in gaming anytime soon?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

If GTA's gonna be a serious game in the future, it oughta be a genuinely serious game. Sure, there can be a joke here and there, but GTA 4 was both too serious to be over-the-top hilarity, and too funny to be down-to-earth serious. I can handle serious games and I can handle over-the-top games, but GTA is neither and it do

Also I'd prefer that the characters to actually live by their ideals. Niko was a cool guy, but basically summed up by "I want to get away from the bad things I did in the war..." (two seconds later) "I'LL RIP YOUR loving HEART OUT!" It just doesn't make sense. Give me a guy who's out for blood and vengeance and I'm fine, but when he's looking for peace and stability and a little bit of vengeance like Niko, it seems too hypocritical.

I've never played Saint's Row, but I haven't heard anything I didn't like about The Third so it'll quite suffice for insanity. It'd be nice to have something serious to balance it out.

Also I totally agree about the hood cam, it's pretty useless. If you're gonna give me something like a hood cam, gimme a driver's seat view instead. I'd much prefer a first-person view. (Maybe with working dashboard gauges?) I wouldn't be opposed to a first-person walking/shooting view either, for that matter.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 30, 2011

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

My one complaint about Grand Theft Auto 4 was that the combat felt like poo poo. If they had the cover system from Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood then it would have been much more pleasant and fun.

FTFY. The shooting was fine; the cover was clunky, unintuitive and painful.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Found a trailer for the upcoming GTA V trailer. :downsrim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMPwsUey0U0

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Also make sure to watch the stars in the corner - if they're white, the cops can still see you so if you make a turn they'll (make a weak attempt to) follow you; if they're gray, they can't see you so make a turn and gun it to the edge of the wanted area, then stop, sit there til the stars quit flashing and you're done.

Also, never use a highway to get away from the cops. Long, straight wide-open roads are the worst place for it, especially the bridges. The cops will keep up with you, they won't lose sight of you, and if you're lucky they won't put up a roadblock right before the next exit. This goes for the long, straight streets near Central Park also, if you're in Algonquin, make as many turns as you can as often as you can, in the general direction of "away from the cops."

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 29, 2011

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

rizuhbull posted:

How does a wired 360 controller work in GTA4? Does it have in-game support for it? Or do I need to use Xpadder?

Beautifully, gently caress yes, absolutely not. I still get a touch of input delay, but it's a lot better than WASD.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

rizuhbull posted:

What?
To clarify:

rizuhbull posted:

How does a wired 360 controller work in GTA4?
Beautifully.

rizuhbull posted:

Does it have in-game support for it?
Yes.

rizuhbull posted:

Or do I need to use Xpadder?
No.

I still get a touch of input delay, but it's a lot better than WASD. The driving mechanics require a lot more subtlety than all-or-nothing gas or brakes, and the triggers on the 360 controller accomplish that quite nicely.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Fayez Butts posted:

I don't even remember which one that is! But I'm gonna have to say Blista Compact is the best.

The Blista's nice and quick, good in the corners too (FWD helps with that some IMO) but I like the Turismo a lot, it's fast and it's generally easy to avoid oversteer so you can actually get where you're going without spinning around at every turn. The Feltzer is great too, it's basically the Elegy of the GTA 4 era - far too much wheel spin if you're trying to seriously go somewhere, but great fun if you just wanna drift around corners all day long.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

trandorian posted:

FIB Buffalo is the best GTA IV car for any cop mission

...Especially when I modify it to be crazy fast with great handling, weighs 10 tons, and is invulnerable to damage. Definitely the best in the game.

But then again, when I get 4 stars, then there are cops chasing me that are crazy fast with great handling, weigh 10 tons, and are invulnerable to damage. Gotta SMG them fuckers in the face to get em off me.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Pink or not, the Feltzer is the greatest drifting car since the Elegy. Not my favorite, but definitely a great ride.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

They can't show explicit stuff while maintaining an M rating, blame the ESRB and seemingly illogical American standards

Something's not right here, lemme just, um...

Michael Scott posted:

They can't show explicit stuff while maintaining an M rating, blame the ESRB and genuinely illogical American standards

...there, that's better.

Also, for the record, they showed a naked guy's dick in TLAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What the gently caress? San Andreas is one of the smallest? :psyduck:

The draw distance definitely helps the place seem huge. When you're running around in a kinda thin fog, you can't really tell that Los Santos and San Fierro are literally one mile away from each other. A mile ain't far.

edit: Got a better screen cap of the police car, like two frames before the one earlier that shows "Obey & Survive."

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 2, 2011

• Locked thread