Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I never really got into Bully, but that probably has more to do with the fact I played the 360 version when it first came out (and was the buggiest poo poo ever) than anything else. I got the PC version from the Steam sale a few days ago, so I'll give it another go soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Holistic Detective posted:

Also, I don't really care about what happens to the friend activities from IV so long as they keep the ability to go get drunk at bars and then attempt to drive home drunk across half the city with 10 cop cars on your tail whilst your date freaks the gently caress out in the passenger seat.
One of the funniest things that ever happened to me in GTAIV was the first time I went drinking with Roman and tried to drive home afterwards. I started driving and got pretty far before realizing Roman was missing -- his pathfinding had caused him to get stuck humping some dumpster or something and I had to go back for him. The cops noticed I was driving drunk and proceeded to ram me into a light pole, and since I didn't want a bullet in my head I tried surrendering to them.

Naturally, halfway through the surrender animation I pressed the wrong button or something, and the cops immediately gunned me down for resisting arrest. :downs:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Ingram posted:

Just installed Vice City with the intentions of playing it on my TV with a 360 controller. Unfortunately the triggers and right analogue stick don't work in the game so there goes that idea.

Anyone got a simple solution to get it working or should I just connect my PS2 controller up and play it like that?
I use version 5.3 (the latest free version) of Xpadder with my 360 controller, works perfectly and is easy to set up.

edit: Might have to run it in XP SP3 compatibility mode if you're on 64-bit Windows 7.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 14, 2011

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

closeted republican posted:

But then the game makes you go back to Portland for certain missions, which makes things much, much harder than they should be.
Bulletproof Patriot. :getin:

I'm pretty sure you were able to use that car in those missions. If not, at least it helps a ton if you still have some hidden packages or something to collect in Portland.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Man, GTA2 is more brutal than I remembered. $50,000 to save your game? $5,000 to get your car resprayed? Limited lives? No in-game map? :gonk: (I wandered aimlessly for like half an hour looking for the save point until I pulled up an online map on my phone, really would have appreciated an arrow pointing at the church at all times)

Even if I'm completely spoiled by modern games, it's still a lot of fun to play this and cause all kinds of mayhem while listening to the excellent radio stations. My favorite is probably Heavenly Radio with its completely ridiculous Christian pop. (:buddy:: "JE-SUS MY SAVIOR, MY FAVORITE FLAVOR!")

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

Hey, GTA 1 didn't even have save points while in the levels! GTA 2 is considerably less brutal since saving exists at all.
I completely forgot GTA 1 only allowed saving between levels. I haven't played it in an even longer time than 2, except for a very brief test run when I got it on Steam a couple of years ago.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Ron Burgundy posted:

The TV truck antenna always points to the church.
Oh hey, that's good to know. Thanks, maybe the next time I play I won't be as hopelessly lost.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Welp, I'm glad I actually decided to look up the San Andreas sidequest rewards before going off to spray over all the gang tags in Los Santos. I thought the reward for that was infinite sprint, but apparently that's in Saints Row 1 instead and in SA you get the infinite sprint from doing burglary missions.

Also, I finally got to experience the sheer joy that is flipping your fire truck ten levels into the firefighter side mission, with ten minutes on the clock and no hurry whatsoever. "Eh, I'll just cut through here, I'll save a couple of secOH gently caress PLEASE DON'T FLIP OH poo poo NOOOO :suicide:" Paramedic missions were fun too, especially as CJ began to starve to death around level 9 (fortunately so slowly that I had at least 75-80% health left at the end) and my ambulance got rear-ended by a truck as one of the patients on level 12 was entering it. He got stuck under the truck for a couple of seconds but eventually made it somehow. I probably would have ended up hurling my laptop out of the window if that dude had died.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I tried to install the latest version of the Xbox textures mod for my Steam version of GTA3, but for some reason I can't get the thing to work even though I followed the instructions (it's missing a DLL file that should have been included in the automatic installer) :saddowns: Now the game looks like this:

Oh well, let's see if I can fix this without reinstalling the game.

edit: All right, it seems the installer put the important DLLs in the completely wrong folder. Now the mod works as it should.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 29, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, I just noticed that like a minute after I posted. Thanks for the quick reply anyways.

There's also this update for the 1.0 version of the mod, let's see if I can install it without loving up horribly. Apparently it isn't fully compatible with the Steam version (as in some of the improvements don't work), but it should work fine for the most part.

edit: yeah, the update seems to work okay, even though it moves the two DLLs back into the /GTA3/ folder and you need to put them back in the main directory.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 30, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Anyone have a good ENBSeries setup for San Andreas that isn't an unholy mess of bloom lighting and HDR (like the ENBSeries Summer Edition is)? The Marty McFly Californian Sun one is pretty decent, but I wasn't able to get the reflections to look as nice and shiny as I would have liked.

edit: well, turning the effects on actually helps. Who knew? :downs: Hell yeah, now SA brings my fairly powerful laptop to its knees in ways GTAIV and Saints Row: The Third could only dream of!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 31, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Good grief, the gunplay in GTAIII and Vice City is even jankier than I remembered it being. I aim at a guy's torso and watch my assault rifle rounds phase right through him while he happily blasts away at me and drains my health. Shooting people in the legs seems to be the most reliable way to kill them, as the hits register slightly better.

I ended up playing through the 'Death Row' and 'Rub Out' missions using only the .308 Sniper, because actually getting into gunfights only got me and/or Lance killed. I'm bad at video games.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

That Awful Nick posted:

Avoid the gunplay entirely and kill all enemies with cars. It made GTAIII and GTA Vice City much more playable and even came in handy in San Andreas most of the time. All of the "go do a drive by on these dudes" missions turned into "slam a car into everyone" and I succeeded a lot more of the time than when I tried to do it their way.
I do that whenever possible, but in a lot of missions you're unable to use a vehicle (I don't think you can drive a car inside Diaz' mansion in 'Rub Out' :v:) and just have to deal with the lovely shooting mechanics. At least the sniper rifle works pretty well.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

closeted republican posted:

Are you talking about the PC or console versions? Combat is fine on the PC, since you can freelook with the mouse and aim with it. Getting through the combat-focused missions (like the one where you need to save Vance) aren't that hard on the PC. I've heard combat on the consoles is an absolute nightmare, tho.
The aiming is fine on the PC, the problem is that guys won't die when I'm shooting them in the chest and it looks like the bullets just pass through them. Getting better weapons helps a bit, though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

moms pubis posted:

I've encountered this in III and Vice City, and it only seems to happen if you're running the game in a widescreen resolution and have the widescreen option turned on in the graphics settings. If you run it at a 4:3 resolution, or just turn widescreen off, the bullets go where they're supposed to.
That would explain why I'm not hitting anything. Time to drop the resolution to 1024x768, I guess.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I remember being a :smug: high school kid scoffing at the San Andreas hype and everyone who was buying into it, thinking it couldn't possibly be anywhere near as great as everyone is making it out to be and that it would be completely impossible for the PS2 hardware to handle such a game. Vice City was already pushing it to its limits, so how in the hell would San Andreas be able to have all those features and such a big game world? At least the graphics would have to look like poo poo, and your cars would probably be disappearing left and right even more than in the previous games, and god knows what... :downs:

Naturally, I ended up buying the game a day after the launch (having seen it at a friend's house the previous night) and putting something like 100 hours into it before 2004 was over.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

ElwoodCuse posted:

I love the thought but two of the those are already out and the other two songs are a whopping 1:40 long.
I listened to the EP on Spotify, and "Down Down Down" and "Fist Till Morning" barely have lyrics. That's a bit disappointing, honestly (although I suppose you could argue that "FIST! FIST! FIST TILL MORNING!" is all the lyrics you ever need).

At least "Dangerous Bastard" still owns. :rock:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Was the frame rate in Liberty City Stories PS2 (PAL version) always this bad? Playing the PSN version on my PS3 and it's like I'm going in slow motion. I don't remember it being this jerky when I played it on my PS2 back in 2006, maybe it's an emulation issue on the PS3 or maybe I just didn't care so much back then.

At least Flashback FM is just as awesome as it always was. Giorgio Moroder songs all day every day :getin:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

The really frustrating mission in San Andreas was that one where you and the fat homie chase after the train with all the :ese:s on top. If you get too close to the train, the homie can't hit them, if you get too far from it you risk falling off the track or getting blindsided by an oncoming train.
ALL WE HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE drat TRAIN, CJ :byodood:

If we're talking about lovely GTA missions, the early storyline mission in Vice City Stories where you're saving Phil's moonshine from a burning warehouse takes the cake for me.

Gimmick vehicle (forklift) with lovely controls? Check!
Bullshit obstacles you get stuck on? Check!
Fixed camera angle that makes the controls and avoiding obstacles even more annoying? Check!
Overly strict time limit that doesn't let you get used to the controls and camera? Check!

I failed that poo poo so many times. gently caress your stupid moonshine, Phil.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, it drops more debris in your way after every crate you're returned to Phil, and eventually everything except the longest and most convoluted route possible is blocked. Naturally, that means you have to haul rear end if you want to get that last crate within the time limit, and you absolutely can't make even the slightest mistake. gently caress that mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Vice City Stories also has that one mission where you control a Domestabot in first person mode and try to steal something from some guy's house within a time limit. Ughh.

I liked Vice City Stories for what it was, but goddamn some of those missions were terrible.

• Locked thread