Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
This being summer, I actually managed to read through the entire thread! I've been playing the series for a long time and there are quite a few things to talk about.

Most recently I've been replaying San Andreas and IV, both on the Xbox. I've done everything necessary to get 100% on SA, apart from the taxi missions because of the glitch where no passengers spawn :(. I think the games have steadily gotten "easier", if not just easier to pick up and play, which isn't necessarily a negative point for me. I'm awful at the early games but seem to be moderately good at SA and IV. Don't get me started on The Chiliad Challenge though...

I feel like I've always been comparatively kind to IV, I like it. It's not a "perfect" game and I think some comments are reactionary according to the early reviews that stated as much. It has obvious problems but. There were some fun interpretations of Niko many, many pages back and I think what I like about the character is that he's the most psychological GTA protagonist yet, a real sadomasochist in denial. He at least seems more consistent when he's read that way.

I also feel like partially defending what seems to be an unpopular part of the game, the Mafia segment in Joisey... I think what I like about it is that the Mafia has long been at the centre of the series, but IV gives you a family that is frankly incompetent and unimportant to work with (some of the mission dialogue with the Pegorinos borders on farce really), while the only significant Mafioso we see is a frail old man who's dying before our very eyes in a hospital. IV was a departure from lots of things in the series and I feel like the story reflected that there.

I really like the "random encounters" and I think they go a good distance in colouring the city and culture. Red Dead Redemption did a lot with this too so I've got high hopes for V!

There was also talk a long time ago about IV's soundtrack not being good or at least not varied. I simply cannot agree with that, I think it's superb and broad. My only real gripe is the resetting issue that seems to happen more often with certain radio stations (e.g. The Classics).

Finally, I don't think IV's tone clashes with the Viz-esque humour that's still there. I still laugh at that banner advertising a restaurant in Alderney that reads "Get stuffed!", because I'm a child I suppose :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Yeah, there are plenty hard as balls missions from LCS and VCS, but I feel like true die-hard fans could eventually pass them with ease. I wish there was even one mission in gta5 that was as hard as Death Row from Vice City.

Alright mush, I'm going to save your Vera mate!

I disliked that mission, mostly due to bad memories of a glitch where upon getting to Lance, he'd fall through the floor and die. On that sort of theme, I'd probably prefer the one from IV where you rescue Roman (if it were not for Niko's small bank of "threatening phrases" for him to shout every few seconds).

Any Vice City mission involving Lance as your "backup" was irritating to me actually. He would barely contribute anything and was flimsy. He was more of a liability than Hilary! Philip Michael Thomas helped make up for it though.

"Ooh, fits perfectly!"
"Bit tight around the crotch though."
"Oh yeah, yeah, mine too, mine too..."

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I have a question I hope it's okay to ask here.

I played a fair bit of GTA this year and due to some reading on the forums here and there, I'm playing Bully again for the first time in years. Is there a Bully/general Rockstar thread? I want to go on about the new classes (I played the PS2 one before, playing the 360 one now).

• Locked thread