Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I got the entire series on Steam for 7,5 euros, and III alone is already paying for itself. Story is concise, characters are all nicely done, each with his own spin on things (for example Tony not caring much about the Family), and for a game that's 11 years old it still is very much playable.
Looking forward to playing through the three III games (III, VC, SA) before hitting 4 and the DLC, which I know almost nothing about.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

havenwaters posted:

GTA3 is oddly enough the easiest one to get working.

Vice City is fine unless you want to use a 360 controller or some other xinput gamepad. If you want to do that there's some xpadder control scheme and settings.ini for Vice City you have to find on the internet or you can set it up manually with joy2key and this guide here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848465 (The guide also has stuff for GTA3 and San Andreas)

For San Andreas you have a little bit more work to do. I wrote this for some goon on the steam thread and it should guide you through what you have to do: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510690&pagenumber=819&perpage=40#post414929267

Oh yeah I'm playing it, I know it's working :v:
I meant "playable" in a "even though it's dated, it's an enjoyable thing to play" sense, not that it's not running. Aside from two minor graphical issues, I've had zero problems with the game.
Don't really care much about gamepad, but thanks for your post, at a glance it looks helpful if I do decide to go for it, not to mention the thing about the frame limit stuff.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

havenwaters posted:

Make sure you aren't running the game on 16-bit colors mode. That could cause the colors to be weird (go check your resolution in the menu)

As a sorta-related note, GTA2 requires you to switch your Windows to 16-bit colours if you want to run it in windowed mode (it says so in the readme/known issues thing, but might as well say it)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DangerKat posted:

The Bait mission can also go gently caress itself, that's probably the only one that I wound up having to replay a lot to complete.

How come? I didn't find Bait to be all that hard (I played it yesterday), and not nearly as hard as some other missions around it (dreading Espresso-2-Go, although at least the time limit starts from the first stall wrecked).*

Doing all the Import/Export garages in GTA III is one of the best ideas in the game. The Emergency one lets you get a tank without cheating (aside from the initial cheat to get the tank, if you're so inclined), and the one in Shoreside Vale carries a good number of good cars (Kuruma and Sentinel are pretty great at going from A to B at a reasonable pace), all of which except the BF Injection are easily found just outside it.

Also, am I the only one who really likes Donald Love as a character? To me, it looks like he's the most straight up "honest" character, at least in GTA III.

*but I just noticed that Espresso-2-Go is one of the last missions of the game. Might even finish it today, then on to VC.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DangerKat posted:

And conversely, Espresso-2-Go only took 2 tries.

Took me two tries as well, and I could have done it in one if I hadn't wasted a bit of time changing cars (bulletproof Patriot caught fire, stole a Coach, then went for a Cabbie, and wasted a bit more time trying to steal a Kuruma which drove away). Definitely easier than I expected, especially if you know where the stands are. It is a bit annoying when you're apparently not going fast enough to destroy the stand and have to waste ~30 seconds ramming it again.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DangerKat posted:

I used the rocket launcher so that helped with no needing to get right up next to the ones at the airport or in Bellevue Park. Hell, Staunton in general was real quick since like 3 blocks between 4 of the 5 using the rocket launcher.

:aaa: I had no idea you could do this. Should have at least tried, so shame on me. Oddly enough the GTA Wiki says nothing about it, so I presumed you'd have to use a car.
Now on to S.A.M.

bort posted:

You might not want to play Liberty City Stories, then...

I can't say it's a priority anyway, mostly because it's not out on the PC and I lack a controller.
I do appreciate the warning though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Coffee And Pie posted:

GTAIV is good, the episodes are great, V is amazing.

Speaking of GTA IV, I'm going to be starting it soon (first GTA game I've never played), on PC. Any must-have mods? I didn't use anything on III-VC-SA, but I remember hearing that the PC port wasn't too good, but they fixed it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Install Windows posted:

The PC port was "fixed" by people upgrading to newer hardware. You really needed to have at least a good system from 2009 to play it (the year it was released) and most people who had problems with it at start were using systems a few years older than that, particular in the CPU.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah I put together my i5-750 system back then and picked up GTA IV soon after and it ran well - although I didn't bump all the sliders up. That was a quad core though, but I think even people with dual cores had a bit of trouble with it.

I've got a pretty good machine, so that's cool. Thanks for the answers.
Time to go bowling I guess? :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

101 posted:

I had to reread that multiple times. That's some odd phrasing...

Yeah apologies for that.
I had played III-VC-SA before actually finishing them, but I have no experience with IV (aside from like 30 seconds, on a PS3, two-three years ago).

I need to get used to controls, it feels subtly different to the 3D era.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I finished all the 3D era GTA games on a keybord, and had no problems. Hell, my biggest frustrations were losing my GTA 3 save, and doing gang territory missions in the endgame of San Andreas, neither of which were related to the controls.

Full disclosure, I did do a bit of remapping in the options. Nothing serious, but you might wanna check it out if the control scheme itself is giving you issues.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

fuckpot posted:

So I heard something about GFWL being canned. Does this mean GTAIV on Steam won't work anymore? Because I am trying to play it and it doesn't seem to be working.

It's working fine for me.
Or at least it did earlier today when I played...

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

So I should try San Andreas then?

San Andreas is pretty great, and has everything you want from it. Customization, there's a whole lot to do in free roam, and the cutscenes are much less annoying.
I used to like Vice City more, but after playing a whole lot of San Andreas, I realize it's the better game. For what it's worth, I never did finish IV. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

wa27 posted:

GTA V plays better on console than any of the 3-era games play on anything, in my opinion.

Not everyone has a console. Looking at The Lone Badger's original question, it looks like that is indeed their issue, since they mention waiting for GTAV to come out on PC.

• Locked thread