Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

ChuckDHead posted:

Niko was pretty similar, and CJ's plot was generally pretty stupid. The sort of vaguely humourous psychopath embodied by Tommy Vercetti works better in a world where you can do anything.

My major issue with the GTA series is how the player characters make themselves out to be these moral people while the person controlling the game is always going to make those characters commit the most heinous acts of violence imaginable.

Remember how in GTA:SA cutscenes CJ would rant about drug dealers destroying the neighborhood and ruining the place he grew up, but if during gameplay you were running around without a car or a bike, you'd think nothing of killing somebody for their ride? Even though the character you were playing as would say stuff like "I need this poo poo you drive", I don't think anybody could really ignore the incongruence between the thoughts and actions the cutscene character portrayed and the behavior that the character the player controlled during gameplay displayed.

Basically, if the game that I'm going to be playing involves me stealing cars and killing a vast amount of people, please don't make my character conflicted when it comes to selling drugs, killing people for money or stealing cars. The person playing the game has already resigned to a completely immoral lifestyle in-game, don't try and make me believe that Niko or CJ are willing to kill 30 or 40 cops but then feel bad about getting revenge for a family member.

Vice City had it right; give me a person bent on becoming the ultimate crime boss, gently caress this morality crap. By the end of the game, I want to control criminal empires and crush those that even dare question my methods, not go back to the lovely neighborhood I grew up in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
You idiots need to stop saying that the cars in GTA4 handled poorly; they stick to the loving ground like crazy when you need them to. You can whip in between traffic at 100+mph on bridges and highways as well as take 90 degree turns sideways through the densely packed streets between the skyscrapers downtown.

It's not the games handling that's the issue, it's you. You are the ones that suck.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I don't care where the game is set as long as it feels like the character progresses in their bad-assery. Vice City is the only game in the series to feel like you actually became a crime boss, or even moved up in general. Niko was a cry-baby, CJ had millions of dollars and a loving airport and jets but still couldn't stop hanging out in the ghetto.

Let me enjoy my mansion, please. Oh, and don't let my protagonist cry about shooting certain people, he/she is going to put down thousands of people violently, it's really stupid to have him/her crying and whining.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
Come on, don't kill dogs.
I hope I can have a dog in this game that will jump in the car with me, and he loves going for drives so much that he gets really excited when you go near the car.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

JDanielS posted:

I just hope they let me put glasses on the character. That was one of my favorite ways of making Niko a bit more of my character rather than just a character, with those big, stupid-looking not-quite-Aviators.

I have a feeling that we're gonna get quite a bit of ways to spend money. I believe Rockstar themselves have said this game's plot is about chasing the almighty dollar and it would be quite foolish to have nothing to spend that money on. I'm guessing we'll get clothes, glasses, cars, houses and loads of other crap to buy.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

JDanielS posted:

I really loving hope so, but I don't want to build up expectations of being a less-than-legal business mogul, though that's exactly what I want to have appear.

Same here. My favorite GTA game was Vice City, because even though the representation of the illicit businesses were pretty darned abstract (Kill a ton of people and receive MONEY PRINTING BUILDING!!!) I loved the concept behind it. I want that drug dealing minigame from Chinatown Wars on a much larger scale.

Imagine how much fun it would be to actually have to launder the money? You have $100k in legal, taxed tender and another $600k in illegal money? Buy a bar! Now you can launder money at a rate of say, $50k a month. Want to launder more? Buy another business!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

ChuckDHead posted:

You know you're only going to end up with the car on its roof and on fire within about 3 minutes of choosing that new colour, right?

Yea, but for those 3 minutes you get a pretty bitchin' car!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

At least in SF, CJ was trying to get his life on track. I was sick of LS where it was a constant reminder that CJ was doing just fine in liberty and ever since he went back to LS his life has become terrible and he won't give up his lovely street and get a better life. The whole "I gotta rep Grove Street" was super retarded. He's living high and mighty in Las Venturas, has a business in SF and a god damned mansion in LS but no we gotta help all the retards on grove street. By the time you get to Las Venturas, you're pretty much free from Tenpenny, why even bother?

I totally agree; the only Grand Theft Auto games that had anything resembling a believable main character were GTA 3 and GTA Vice City. In Three, the you play a guy his is basically a mute, stone-cold killer, and mowing down the mafia, the police and a few civilians on accident/gleefully seemed like something that the person you were playing as was capable of doing.

Same goes with Vice City: like the GTA 3, your character was betrayed and you want to get your money and revenge. Main man Tommy Vercetti was pleased as punch to put as many bullets into as many people as he needed, and he was quite vocal about it. He laughed and swore, but he never really gave you reason to believe that he was ever going to wimp out and start feeling bad about doing terrible things.

Then CJ from San Andreas and Niko from GTA4 showed up, and all of a sudden the Grand Theft Auto series are focused around these conflicted characters who feel bad about what they are doing in the plot.

But the issue with them feeling bad is that:

1) Your character starts feel majorly hypocritical - when you are making him run around during a side quest or main mission, the game throws you into these scenarios where you are most likely going to kill a vast amount of people. Like, seriously thousands upon thousands of people over the course of the game. And now he's going to be upset about it? You probably ought to stop crying about it after you light victim number #237 We don't need any moments of silence for the 39th person you hit with the dangerous end of the chainsaw.

2) It's kind of pathetic - I don't play a game titled Grand Theft Auto and need a character with a set of morals that give him a big ole wet one when he thinks of his past or his friends need him to go kill some drug dealers. I play GTA because when I hit the power button, I am going to commit a lot of virtual crime. Even when I want to actually help people by driving them around town or to the hospital, I'm still going to probably destroy a vast amount of vehicles and quite likely run somebody over. I really don't care to see my character reminisce solemnly about his past time in some random war. We just hit 8 mailboxes and took out a crowd of people getting hot dogs, you don't feel THAT bad.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 23, 2012

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Coolodile posted:

The disconnect never really bothered me honestly, especially since it goes both ways. When I did the ambulance missions in Vice City I never cared that Tommy Vercetti - a multimillionare drug kingpin and sociopath - would probably never go out of his way to do such things.

And CJ isn't a good example either. He's not conflicted, just weakwilled. He has Marty McFly syndrome, just replace the word 'chicken' with 'busta'.

OK, he hates hard drugs because they are tearing his community up by its roots, but he has absolutely no problem slaughtering rival drug dealers with a sniper rifle or up close with molotov cocktails or a pistol?

I don't mind a bit of disconnect: I feel that Red Dead Redemption did a decent job at presenting Marsden's dismay at killing innocent people. He would say his apologies when he accidentally killed a civilian or two during a mission to take out people who were, in canon at least, quite bad. To me, that's fine - he wasn't gleefuly slaughtering his enemies, he was trapped because of his families peril.

CJ didn't really have that; he had a savage hate-on for drugs like crack and heroin, but his antipathy for drugs, drug-addicts and drug-dealers lead him to kill hundreds of people involved with them. That's worse than anything involved with the drug trade presented in the games story.

My problem is that the games keep presenting the protagonists as people who are morally opposed to issues that are far less severe than assault and murder, but then have the characters killing massive amounts of people during the missions. And then after those missions have been completed successfully, they go back to having a problem with other, less serious goings-on.

Certainly the solution is not to have every character be a psychopathic Vercetti-esque killer, but don't make it mandatory to kill massive amounts of people and still have those characters try to feel bad about it.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

LARRY JEW posted:

Those screenshots look awesome. I know there was some single vs multi-protagonist discussion earlier but despite what you guys think it will be, do you want multiple protagonists? I really don't know how I feel about having more than one main character.

I hope they make the very different from each other - I want one of them actually be a bad-rear end guy who knows his way around various criminal activities. Stop equating emotional wrecks with character depth, Rockstar. Oh, and also stop letting other characters in the story give me orders to do menial poo poo and have my character jump at it.

If I just shot a security guard and hijacked a truck full of sports cars, my character better respond to "Drop what you are doing and come play darts!" with a quick and concise "Go to hell."

Pretty much give me somebody like John Marsdon again. I liked playing as him.

Physical posted:

To all the GTA 4 dislikers, that game rules. Who cares about the story (I personally liked it), just skip the cutscenes and do missions. Don't like the controls? Well sorry about that but I loving loved them. You can vault over stuff and keep running and poo poo. You gotta control your character like he has inertia though so if a car nips him in the knew you may go down if you try to be too forceful and don't go with the flow.

I loved the driving too. GTA 4 multiplayer races were the best races out of any game I've played. It was a great racing sim. And that was before they even fixed the bugs.

God drat I wanna work at Rockstar on one of these games. Rockstar and Valve.

Having realistic inertia is all good and fun provided the character you're controlling does certain things autonomously - getting stuck on doorways, chairs and tables is a major frustration in a firefight. They improved it quite a bit in Red Dead Redemption, so I'm sure they'll improve it again for this.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
If there are dogs in this game, you guys better not hurt them. Don't ever hurt dogs. My first and most important mission will be to protect the dogs, and to hunt down everybody that even thinks about hurting them.

• Locked thread