Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

kri kri posted:

Is there a mod manager for PC? I am looking to just gently caress around in vanilla for a bit.

What kind of mods do you want to manage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

kri kri posted:

Graphics improvements, cars, I dont know.

I never tried any of the graphics improvements as my aging computer chokes on the normal game's level of detail and whatnot, but for managing cars your best bet is notepad++ and pastebin. You'll be using SparkIV to edit your vehicles.img file, and notepad++ is handy for editing handling.dat, vehicles.ide, and carcols.dat. Also it's suggested you back up those files _every_ time you mod in a new car. loving up the values in vehicles.ide can make a bad problem become a game stopper.

I think it's due to the way most modders release their stuff, there is nothing like... say, Fallout Mod Manager for GTA4 :\ There's a few managers kicking around, but nothing that will get along with every mod available.

Simple Native Trainer though is a really fun tool to screw around with :q:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Cage posted:

This is really the only thing that bothered me with GTA4, was that there were only like 8 cheat codes that you could use.

GTASA: http://www.gtasanandreas.net/cheats/pc.php

GTA4: http://vgstrategies.about.com/od/pccheatsg/a/GTA4PCCodes.htm

I mean, at least on PC its fixed with trainers, but on consoles you don't even get a godmode cheat. Thats the best cheat in GTA.

Peds riot + everyone armed + bounty on your head took up _way_ too much of my time. I'd always try and see how far away I could get from a starting point using the fewest amount of vehicles possible.

Also, GTA5 should bring back bicycles. God I loved jumping over things on the mountain bike :buddy:

E:

San Andreas also had the best radio stations out of all of them.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Himuro posted:

Signs seem to hint at Los Angeles. Maybe even Miami.

So...Los Santos or Vice City.

I really want them to put a new GTA in a new place and not a revisited place.

I'd like to see one take place in the Pacific northwest :shobon:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
You really should be using an edited xlive.dll if you're playing on the PC just to negate GFWL and the social club thing.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Icept posted:

Just bought the game in the D2D sale, where can I get this? GFWL is an abomination.

Right here. It disables all the multiplayer as well, I think. The .dll is most often used in conjunction with things like the Simple Native Trainer.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Snuffman posted:

You just reminded me of something I've always wanted (mostly PC wise, but It'd work on consoles too), the PC to have a personal music player of some sort.

Also, GTA with a female protagonist. I'm serious.

Yes to both of these. One of my favorite parts of simple native trainer in GTA4 is the on-foot radio.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Hot drat, both DLCs for $7.50 today.

Oh god why, my internet sucks so I'm downloading something like 18GB at 133KBs :shepface:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

henpod posted:

Edit - drat, just noticed the GTA4 and DLC set on offer too. Jesus, I dont think I can resist. Im probably not going to play any of these, but having the whole GTA Catalogue for under £12 seems criminal to ignore.

TLAD adds bikes that not only look cool but also don't handle like a bag of rear end.

Gay Tony adds explosive toys.

One of which is fired from an automatic shotgun.

That dents cars up real nice before they explode :q:

Then you can also turn on the EXPLOSIVE PUNCH and EXPLOSIVE SNIPER BULLETS cheats and oh god so many explosions :supaburn:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

So I just got the GTA IV complete pack on steam, are there any must have mods or addons?

You can't go wrong with Simple Native Trainer.

http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods/2115

KFCB posted:

Speaking of real car mods, is there one for GTA IV that works with Steam?

I have a Steam copy and tons of modded cars. Installing them is a tedious, one at a time, bug check, make sure everything is set right process, but worth it. A good place to look is:

http://www.gta4-mods.com/

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

wa27 posted:

Oh god, the Leone mafia with their shotguns are the worst. Drive too close to two of them on the street and your car will blow up instantly.

I learned the hard way that any changes to the weapon stats file were global.

:kiddo: Oh hell yes gonna make the shotgun fully automatic and have tons of range and and ohgodmafiatur-

*bambambambambambam*

:supaburn:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Himuro posted:

Only after I get the bulletproof vehicles do I ever step into Portland for a hidden package stroll. Speaking of which, bring back bulletproof and fireproof cars!

Or at least let us spend the shitloads of cash these games throw at you to add bullet/bomb/fire/damageproofing to cars. And bring back the weapon drops at safehouses.

Basically put rewards for doing poo poo back in the game. I loved getting weapons at the apartment in Gay Tony for doing X number of drug wars, especially considering drug wars are fairly fun.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Himuro posted:

Better yet, include the Saints Row car garage! The problem with GTA is that you get a great car and you're scared to take it out because if it blows up, it's gone forever.

In Saints Row, any car you put in your garage is automatically saved and kept...FOREVER. If it blows up, you can pay a fee to get it back.

That'd be nice as well. Saint's Row 2 had a really nice reward system going on.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

My favorite thing to do when I just want to game without stress is just drive around and look for random stunt jumps and stuff, but I obey speed limits and traffic laws until I find what I'm looking for :v:

This is even more fun when you're in a police/FBI car. Some dude runs a light or litters, fire up the roof :cop:

Then maybe shoot him through the back window or throw a grenade/stickybomb/put a carbomb on their vehicle.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Doppelganger posted:

Does anyone else compulsively run over people who ride Faggios? I don't have anything against scooters in real life, but when it comes to GTA, riding one in my presence means you're a goner.

My problem is I could never get enough speed to get a really satisfying hit on those dudes. Last night however I learned that the simple native trainer for Gay Tony lets you add nitrous to your car whenever you please. It can also be unlimited.

Many bikers flew into the sides of buildings for a solid hour :3:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Anyone know how to make the AA-12 in Gay Tony fire a bit faster? I've tried fiddling with the only value I can think of with a weapon editor (Time between shots), even going so far as to set it to zero, but it never speeds up and never slows down :psyduck:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

K8.0 posted:

The two AA-12s are different guns, maybe you're changing the wrong one?

That's not it :( I changed the value on both and nothing changed. I know the file isn't read only as I've changed weapon effective range, target range, impact force, all sorts of stuff.

Also tightening the spread on the explosive version was hilarious. With the default value of 200 impact it'd juuuust about knock an ambulance over :haw:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

ExtraNoise posted:

There are so many people to avoid too, because I installed that mod that adds more cars/pedestrians.

Is there a mod that adds more peds? I doubt my PC would like more traffic :v:

ExtraNoise posted:

So I'm curious about modding the game further. I would like to add cars to the game, but I've run into several road-blocks (terrible pun):

1. Tutorials online are written for different versions of the game.
2. Some places say that you can only install 28 cars while others show 100+.
3. Readme files in the downloaded folders are often in other languages, such as Russian or Polish.

I really just need a little direction. Maybe I'm missing a good tutorial or what I'm reading is out of date. Any help, goons?

What version of the game are you running? For my Steam copy it's:

1) Get car I want, usually from http://www.gta4-mods.com/
2) Extract into it's own folder (D:\Games\GTA4 Mods\Cars for example)
2a) You may need to run a program to _force_ all the files in your GTA4 install to be writable. Sometimes just right clicking on a folder and changing the properties won't take. You can find those programs on gta4-mods.
3) Load SparkIV
4) Point it to my vehicles.img file in GTAIV\pc\models\cdimages
5) Export the vehicle texture and model file I'm going to replace for safe keeping
6) Import the downloaded one, renaming if necessary
7) Rebuild archive
8) Save archive
9) Plug handling, carcols, and vehicles.ide data from readme into their respective files
10) Launch game, spawn car, hold onto butt

An example would be:

http://www.gta4-mods.com/vehicles/1970-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-454-f7963

This has an archive with chevelle.wft and chevelle.wtx in it. The vehicles.img file can only accept file names that already exist within it, so I renamed them to sabregt.wft and sabregt.wtx. My GTA4 install has 30+ cars now, and TLAD and Gay Tony have slightly fewer.

E:

If you want to add multiple cars, you have to rebuild/save in SparkIV, close it, and repeat the process for each car you add. It gets bitchy when you do more than one car at once.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 28, 2011

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Whalley posted:

You know what would be more awesome than horses in a GTA game? Not having horses in a GTA game. Including horses means there's going to be at least one horse chase mission in the storyline and I don't know, that just strikes me as being silly.

Also, I would feel really squeamish accidentally killing a horse in a modern day setting. RDR had animals that you could kill without feeling awkward because it was set in a location and a time period where animals run free and wild across the land. In GTA, no animals would exist that aren't someone's pet. I don't like the idea of killing someone's pet, even if it's in a videogame. Nobody should like the idea of killing someone's pet.

I went out of my way to not kill horses in RDR. Even on that mission later on when you've got a machine gun, I'd try as hard as I could not to kill one :shobon:

SplitSoul posted:

Does anyone have a GTA IV savegame around the start of the third island?

This should sort you out:

http://www.gtavision.com/index.php?section=content&site=114

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Cage posted:

So I started downloading new car models for the first time ever a few days ago. Changing car models was pretty easy, but I just left handling.dat alone.

A few cars are extremely top heavy using the stock numbers so today I tried using the recommended settings that came with the wrx sti that I downloaded.

I think I did something wrong, somewhere.

Did you use the new settings for vehicles.ide as well?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

ExtraNoise posted:

I just wanted to quote and say THANK YOU. Why is everything else that I read such a mess and this was concise, correct, and easy to read?

No prob :) As far as editing textures goes I think you can just drop the .wtx file into Photoshop, but I never tried it. Also, keep constant backups of your edited files in case something fucks up so you don't have to start from scratch like I did about a month or so ago :downs: Keeping a notepad document of what cars are what is also handy.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Starhawk64 posted:

So, what's everyone's favorite car in GTA4? I'm partial to the Sabre GT. It's semi-common, tough enough to survive crashes, and has a sweet exhaust note to boot.

I also like the Blista Compact.

Vanilla cars: SabreGT all around, but if I know that things are gonna get interesting, I'll take a Futo GT.

It's surprisingly durable!

Modded cars:

gently caress I can't choose just one :v:

(Also god drat jpg compression ruined that picture.)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

csidle posted:

Those models look really great. Do you happen to have a list of the models you've installed?

Buick GNX
Chevrolet Chevelle
'69 Charger
'06 Charger (Replaces civilian Buffalo in TBOGT, but you could use it for any four door you want in the regular game)
Ferrari F430 Scuderia
Mercedes SLS

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I was so bummed that your car delivery buddy in Gay Tony didn't get a Tampa on his list :( Yes these supercars are nice and all but do you have something more classic looking? No? Oh, ok :smith:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Underflow posted:

Wouldn't mind owning one IRL though.

Don't bother, they're pretty lame. The AA-12 has been kicking around since the '70s in some form or another, and nobody adopted it for numerous reasons :v:

nerdly_dood posted:

I love our gun laws that allow stuff like this.

Good luck getting anything from Firequest working as advertised/working at all.

Has there been any news on GTA5 lately? Last I saw was something about how it'll be a real world Los Angeles and not Los Santos :(

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

One of the most disappointing things about GTAIV is how the majority of your buddies have no real role in the game's ending. It's especially jarring since Packie has a personal reason to be involved in the revenge ending. I wish Brucie was the one flying the copter at the end, or something. Brucie should have been in the ending in some way.

Packie is too busy with his chop/crying bunches. GONNA GET ME SOME CHOP IN ME NIKO BOY CHOPPIN' ON CHOPPERDAY NIGHT CHOPPIN' IT UP WITH CHOP IN THE CHOPROOM OF THE CHOP CLUB WITH SOME CHOP GIRLS YEEEEEEEEEEEGH :byodood:

Speaking of Jacob however, I'd love a TLAD/TBOGT style DLC with Jacob and Badman. Why does Jacob seem afraid of Badman :ohdear:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

There are like a billion mods there for dumb poo poo like cars.

Is there like one mod or some must have mods that make the game better, not just turn Nico into a cat or whatever.

Simple Native Trainer is a must if you enjoy screwing around and having vehicle spawns hotkeyed and want to make your car go 500MPH and weigh 20 tons and other assorted goofy poo poo.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I'm late to car chat but the Futo GT was pretty fun:

Pretty durable, too:

:haw:

I really hope the next game has a drat revolver though, it was so fun in Vice City :(

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Foiltha posted:

While I thought GTA4 was a bit boring towards the end, Gay Tony really stepped up and was sort of reminiscent of the old school GTA wackiness.

*golden Little Bird blows up enemy vehicles on your way to the airport*

ARAB MONEY

MOTHER

BITCHES

Yusif loving owned.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Himuro posted:

I demand Drug Trafficking minigame from GTA Chinatown. DEMAND.

God yes.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm fairly certain they perfected their "putting your loving hat back on" tech with Red Dead Redemption, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Lost my hat? Oh this guy knocked my hat off? Kill his friends, shoot him in the god drat face, get my hat back. :clint:

A British Nerd posted:

That's a drat good fix, that poncho was badass! Rivalled the feeling I got from donning a Perseus tux and shades in GTA IV.

Too bad it covered up your awesome bandoleer :(

All this talk of improvements and changes/fixes we might see, I really hope the radio is improved. San Andreas had the best radio selection out of the lot :(

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

It's set in (fictionalized) LA. What seasons would there be?

Smog.
Smoggier.
Uh Oh Smog Level Alert.
Hope you got some kinda rebreather or some poo poo smog!

:v:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
GTA Texas Anywhere:

Your character immediately eats their gun, roll credits.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I like to think of GTA4 and the DLCs in terms of progression from GTA3 to San Andreas.

GTA4 is just figuring poo poo out with the mechanics and gameplay. Fun, but not much substance.

TLAD is like Vice City, adds a little bit more to play with, improves some things.

Then Gay Tony is everything has had time to be really worked on and perfected and it's just so wonderful and oh my god ~*arab money*~ :allears:

Maybe all it was is I just liked smashing the poo poo out of cop cars with explosive shotgun rounds.

I mean I really liked that. :q:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

the best was when Lazlow interviewed OG Loc (and started off by calling him "ogg lock")

DON'T DISS MY STRAP, FOO' :mad:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

the_american_dream posted:

Eh actually now that I think about it, I agree with you on that point. I liked the NY/Life simulator but it would've been nice to have something to spend the money on. Property or something

This was one of my bigger gripes with GTAIV; shitloads of cash with nothing to spend it on. :(

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

VolumeBroadcast posted:

After Red Dead Redemption I have my hopes up for V. Especially after realizing how long they have had to make a game, and not have to worry too much about a game engine gives me confidence we will get a nice balance between SA and IV.

As for the SR vs GTA argument, just be glad we have two sides of the same coin as opposed to one game coming off as a knock off of the other.

I really hope the shooting in GTA5 will be as fun as it was in RDR. Now if only they could get shotguns right :argh:

Also Saints Row 2 was pretty serious and downright dark at times. SR3's dev team dropped that in favor of more whacky poo poo. I honestly enjoyed the serious poo poo in SR2, sometimes it's fun playing a sociopath who isn't afraid to admit they're a horrible person.

Especially if they fully admit they're a horrible person and don't give a single gently caress about it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

And that's why Tommy Vercetti is still the best GTA protagonist.

Pretty much, yeah. CJ was enjoyable, but Tommy was amazing :allears:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

HOW YOU ALLOWED TO DRIVE IF YOU BLIND

Oh wait, that was SA. Oh well, same tier of GTA games :v:

ARE YOU A PROFESSIONAL MORON, OR JUST A GIFTED AMATEUR?

MARQUESS OF QUEENSBURY RULES ONLY, BABY.

GIMME 'EM DUCATS

I SMOKE CAUSE IT GIVES ME PEACE OF MIND

BrandonGK posted:

I still remember Rockstar's response in the mission at Madd Dogg's mansion.

DEAD AGAIN?! TANNER, YOU SUCK rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

The Deadly Hume posted:

GIMME DAT PAPER

I'M RICH AND FUCKIN' CRAZY

DON'T HATE ME BECAUSE I'M BEAUTIFUL

I can't even remember if that last one was from SA or not.

Not sure which is better, remembering these lines or reading them in Lester's voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLgatPkIgHg

:allears:

E:

GIMME 'AT BIKE, PEE-WEE

I HATE GRAVITY

• Locked thread