Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Himuro posted:

Gosh I love Chinatown Wars so loving much.

Drug Wars should be an odd job in every future GTA.

Also the property buying system from Vice City Stories.

I think San Andreas is still the gold standard of the series but Vice City is by far my favorite setting. I still listen to the radio stations from both VC games, it's super easy to rip if you have the PS2 discs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Dr Snofeld posted:

Speaking of Vice City Stories, Vic Vance may be my least favourite GTA protagonist, since VCS has the biggest discrepancy between how the character is in cutscenes and in gameplay. "I'm no killer!" *murders 20 rednecks*

The absolute best storyline in VCS was Phil Collins playing himself. It was pretty rad of him to do that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

jerkstore77 posted:

Wherever they decide to do GTA 5, my wish for the series has always been for them to recreate the actual streets of the various cities. Like you could take a map of the game and overlay it onto google maps and it'd be exactly the same. Imagine the game being played on the actual Vegas strip. I dont know if current technology can support this though.

I don't know if it was 1:1 but the LA in True Crime was boring and annoying. I always thought creative license would be a much better approach.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Why is it so hard to separate what the character does and what the player does? Should every open-world sandbox crime game have a deranged psychopath as its protagonist? Or should they make it so the morally conflicted, tired-of-it-all, unsure-about-his-life protagonist is literally unable to kill non-targets?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Vice City Stories actually had commercials for Evacuator, the movie Vice City said Exploder was the sequel to.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

LvK posted:

One thing I hated about GTA IV was the radio. I loved the soundtrack to death, it had so much good music from all over the spectrum. What I didn't like was that they dropped any pretense of being real. Like, the old ones (outside of music) at least pretended to be FCC compliant. GTA IV has all sorts of cursing every which way and it's honestly a bit offputting. Not even the cursing, just the fact it's on the radio.

The rap station in San Andreas played everything uncensored, although Julio G at least referenced the FCC when he played I Just Don't Give A gently caress.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

I thought I was the only one who played the game just to drive around. Seriously, it's great. I actually enjoy driving in GTA4 more than I do in actual racing games. I can understand why some people like the old driving better, but to me it's just because you didn't have to put any thought into it. there i said it.

I always thought it was really lazy that people complained so much about the driving and getting phone calls from people. It doesn't take long at all to learn how to drive and surprise, cars that look like they should handle better, handle better. And you can either turn off your phone or just cancel friend meetings. Hell, I can probably count on one hand the number of friend date calls I got in Lost and Damned/Gay Tony.

Stuff like the detailed but empty and lifeless city, invincible target chase missions, and control scheme are much bigger problems than driving or phone calls.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Now I'm just grinding away on the achievement that awards you points for batting 69 bikers off their rides during races in TLAD.

Look up a video on YouTube, you can do this in a couple minutes. If you knock a guy over then ride up to him, you can get into a loop of knock him off, wait for him to get back on, knock him off before he drives off, repeat until race ends with you losing.

Rick posted:

CJ appears in a commercial in GTA IV, and apparently the other guys too but the only one I recognize is the silent dude who is in SA too.

Really? What for, I don't remember seeing CJ in GTA4.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Doppelganger posted:

Was it ever revealed what was in that box Donald Love had in GTA3?

In Liberty City Stories he's revealed to be a cannibal, there's a mission where you steal corpses for him

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The guy who did the soundtrack for Bully posted on Twitter or something a long time ago that he got hired to write the music for the sequel. I've heard nothing else since, though.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

wa27 posted:

That's what I don't get. How can that get an M rating while Hot Coffee (which was a full clothed scene that had to be hacked into the game) meant GTASA for a retroactive AO rating? Have the ESRB standards changed that much since 2005?

They got shamed into it by public pressure, plain and simple. The M rating already said it had "strong sexual content". But if they don't respond to the outrage the ESRB looks like the bad guy.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

This R3 mission talk reminds me of two more reasons that Vice City Stories owns: you had to confirm that you wanted to quit the missions so you don't screw yourself by accidentally pressing R3 again, and they had checkpoints for them at every 5 levels. So if you got to level 14 and lost (15 was the max for the reward) when you started again you started at level 10.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Vice City Stories is the only GTA game I didn't 100% because the PS2 version had some extra racing missions in them that were really loving hard. I remember never coming close to beating this checkpoint race where you had to drive all kinds of poo poo like a golf cart and a hovercraft. And the goofy vehicles were really hard to steer, and if you hosed up you couldn't restart, you had to blow up your vehicle and then hoof it all the way back to the beginning where you could get in the first one and get the mission to start up again.

I keep telling myself I should replay these PS2 games I own, but I never do. I replayed Vice City and San Andreas to 100% on my 360 a long long time ago, and haven't touched either of the Stories games since going nuts on them both for like a month or so after they came out for PS2. Hell, the only PS2 games I've played in the past like 4 years were Metal Gear Solid 3 and Guitar Hero 80s.

I would do unspeakable things to get HD ports of any of the 5 previous gen GTAs but I get the feeling that between the size of the game worlds and the cost of re-licensing the music and voiceovers it can't ever happen.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The best cop spawning ridiculousness was to get a fairly high wanted level in San Andreas and hover just off the edge of a cliff with the jetpack. The police never stop driving at you and going over the cliff.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Himuro posted:

Speaking of gta4 soundtrack, is it :filez: for asking where I can find a complete version of IV's soundtrack including both expansions? Because for the life of me, I can't find anything.

I looked around for a long time for some way to rip it like you could do with all the PS2 game discs but never found anything.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Himuro posted:

Play Gay Tony. Not only can you replay missions, but you're also given a score. As a big GTA replayer that's like the best feature ever.

This was awesome but it really needed a visible counter for the objectives. Kinda annoying to have to wonder if you were going fast enough or got enough explosion kills or whatever.

Perfect score on all missions was the only single player achievement I never got. A couple of them had some gently caress-off requirements, mostly the one where you steal the attack chopper because the controls are so wonky and another where you have to kill everyone (a ton of dudes) with only headshots. Again, half the problem was the controls, really. Not worth the headache.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

If you drove slow in San Andreas one of the things people would shout at you is "you're like my rear end in a top hat, always holding up poo poo"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

As much as I loved sending people flying by ramming their motorcycles it was really disappointing that they almost always got up and walked away from soaring a couple hundred feet.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Imagine a Saints Row game structure in a GTA game world with Rockstar's production budget. Goddamn.

Honestly all the customization stuff never interested me. Why spend time playing paper dolls when you can be wreaking havoc. I didn't care that there was basically none of it in GTA4 and had plenty of fun in Saints Row 2 without doing much of it at all. I played the whole time as either Ali G or Mike from Spaced.

ElwoodCuse fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 26, 2011

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Was listening to Wave 103 today and the DJ lead-in to I Ran So Far Away is clearly meant to be for Video Killed The Radio Star, which is on an entirely other station for some reason.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

SplitSoul posted:

Wish I could get ENBSeries working as well as those guys on GTAForums... :(

send this to kotaku and tell them it's an early screen from GTA5

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I like walking in to the Times Square Cluckin Bell and starting a rampage. If you cover next to the door it creates a great choke point as cops start coming. Plus blind firing the RPG into the street creates huge chain reactions.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The best car deformations were when you either spawned one on top of a skyscraper and drove off, or used the explosive shotgun in Gay Tony.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I've noticed this with San Andreas, while in Vice City I have yet to get bored of jumping in the Hunter and cranking up V-Rock.

V-Rock: the 100% official home of rebellion

the radio bumpers and IDs are just as good as the music

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I don't suppose there's any chance of the PSP games being part of the HD rerelease series on the PS3, is there? I'm not holding my breath because those games probably don't fit into what Sony wants for that series but I'd absolutely buy them, even though I beat them both on the PS2.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Turismo and such brake awesome. The beaters and SUVs barely brake at all.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Chinaman7000 posted:

If we're talking about best bros in GTA, Woozie is pretty high up there for me.

One of my favorite bits from SA--

We've got a problem, boss. Check out this chip.

Woozie: It's counterfeit.

CJ: That's amazing! How could you tell?

Woozie: Why else would he give it to me?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I liked the gang wars in SA with two exceptions: (a) the part where you lose it all before going to San Fiero, and (b) those couple of "territories" that were basically 20 feet of loving sidewalk that was drat near impossible to start a gang war in.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The best place name ever was Company of Gyros in Saints Row 2.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I had a blast playing Chinatown Wars on an ipod touch and would love to do the same with GTA3.

I can't believe that came out 10 goddamn years ago. Also that I was so much more excited about Metal Gear Solid 2 that I didn't pick up GTA3 until after Christmas.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I always figured music licensing would doom any re-release of the GTA PS2 games. GTA3 is probably an exception because they created all the radio stations themselves except for the public domain classical channel and the one that has the soundtrack to Scarface.

It's a shame that while they are all backwards compatible, playing any of them on a 360 + HDTV looks like rear end.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Is playing GTA3/VC better on an Xbox 360 (or even the OG Xbox) or on a PC with a fake on-board video card? That's all my desktop has and I haven't played a game on it ever except the Steam version of Deus Ex.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

trandorian posted:

As for playing them on 360, well, you'd have to go find a the original Xbox discs for the games, and then They only show up as 480p so they look kind of blurry and stretched. I wouldn't advise it unless you already have the Xbox copies.

I got GTA3 from a local used game store for $2.50. The 360 BC actually does a pretty nice job of it, it does widescreen and honestly doesn't look any worse than a 10-year-old game should. I think the game not being pretty to begin with helps it hold up better, actually. I seem to remember of all the GTA games I played on the 360, only San Andreas gave me the "ugh this looks bad" vibe, probably because they pushed so much of the hardware limit that you think it should look better than it does.

I would pay an embarrassing amount of money for HD remakes of all of those games, but I doubt it will ever happen.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I can't wait for everyone to make a million assumptions about what you can do in the game based on a three minute trailer and then tear the game apart because it didn't live up to that.

But seriously, it's gonna be great. I think the Los Angeles rumors are based on casting calls for voice actors that turned up a while ago.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Grand Theft Auto wouldn't work as a launch game. The development times are too long and they need time to figure out how to best use hardware too.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Ballad of Gay Tony fixed a lot of GTA4 issues, and surely they'll incorporate RDR stuff too.

Also wasn't GTA4 originally supposed to come out October 2007 when that original trailer was released?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

RustyTrombone posted:

Do you think there's any chance this will be shown on a pc and it's being developed for the next generation of consoles?

No. That's too far off. They can milk this generation for another full game and probably some episodic DLC.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Just because GTA4 wasn't San Andreas in HD doesn't mean it wasn't any fun.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The best part of Chinatown Wars was the drug dealing side game. Find dealers, buy low, sell high, outrun setups and stings, it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Boba Phat posted:

I'll settle for them just removing the endlessly annoying "Let's-play-darts-kuzin" social mechanics. Jesus, what were they thinking?

You could turn off social calls in 4 and they were practically non existent in the DLC so I wouldn't be concerned.

• Locked thread