Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I just hope that Rockstar learns from their mistakes in GTA4. It was so great going from GTA3 to Vice City to San Andreas and each time going "Wow, they actually put in most of the stuff that the previous game made me dream of" and then GTA4 had almost nothing interesting to do and a terribly boring world and lovely characters. It's still a really good game and the physics and UI are fantastic but it doesn't hold a candle to San Andreas in terms of game design. Bring back tractor trains!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Niko's motivations don't line up with what he does IN missions or even cutscenes. That's why he's a completely poo poo character.

CJ is a stupid, greedy, easily manipulated, all around bad person and career criminal who's only loyalties are to his friends and family. That makes his character work.

Tommy Vercetti is a complete psychopath and actively enjoys torturing and murdering people. That's why he's the best player character in GTA. Everything he does makes complete sense because he doesn't give the slightest poo poo about other people.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Tewratomeh posted:

On an unrelated note, why do people trash GTA IV so much and not GTA III? GTA III has even less to do between missions and yet nobody complains. Is it just the fact that GTA III was the first of its kind? Is it really the fact that Claude is a "silent protagonist" and they feel like they're more free to be a bastard?

You're wrong and GTA3 has at least as much side content as GTA4, and definitely has more FUN side content, but that's not the issue.

In terms of :
Side missions
Vehicles
World variety
Pedestrian/vehicle variety by region
Character progression and general abilities

GTA3 > Vice City > San Andreas had massive progression game to game. Then GTA4 took giant steps backward in every area compared to San Andreas and even Vice City in most regards. They also built up a really entertaining universe with tons of connections between the games and then threw it all away.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

GTA4 + TLAD + BOGT is $9.95 at Direct2Drive today only. If you don't own it, and you don't buy it, you're a certifiable dumbass.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Anyone who says there's more skill or fun in GTA4's driving than the previous games never learned to drive in them at all. Go watch some VC/SA stunt driving videos.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Calling movement in any DICE game smooth is more than a little :wtc:, but yeah. Euphoria is cool, but staggering and the other effects it has are some of those things that are fun to do but usually not fun to have done to you. It feels like Niko has the same physics thresholds as everyone else, while the game would play a lot better if he was more physically capable and could do cool poo poo like sliding or running across the hood of a moving car if you jump across it.

The cover system is bad too, like all cover systems. It's the main reason that combat in GTA4 is really boring.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Himuro posted:

But you're in a car half the time in GTA games so bad car controls kill it for me.

The car controls are great. KB/M is vastly superior in every GTA, especially san andreas and gta4 where the camera is so much better. I don't know how anyone can tolerate playing the console versions where you can't see where you're going, not to mention how ridiculous trying to drive at 15 FPS is.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That doesn't change the fact that you basically stop every time you take a corner. Part of it is the lovely world design, but most of it is the bad vehicle physics, they just don't have enough grip and acceleration is slow. It's like going back to GTA3 all over again where driving anything other than a banshee or cheetah is a chore. They made all the cars much higher performance in VC and SA for a reason.

It's just boring, there's really not much to improve at, and it makes driving around just for the sake of it not all that fun.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

wa27 posted:

Woah, seriously? Did they patch the 360/PS3 version as well?

He's completely full of poo poo. They didn't really change much of anything, the fastest cars still handle like a San Andreas Trashmaster. I don't know if the 360/PS3 got an equivalent patch.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's probably mostly irritating because the driving is so poo poo and unfun. If they fixed the drat core mechanics, a lot of the stuff that was annoying in GTA4 would become somewhat fun.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I like almost all kinds of music and I think GTA4's music was terrible with the exception of LRR and Vladivostok FM. Every previous GTA had vastly superior music selections that showed a lot more care.

EFLC's music selection is absolute garbage, with the exception again of LRR. I don't think there's a single new song on any other station that is any good.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 24, 2011

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That mission is easy. The key is to not be right up on the guy's rear end right from the start, because he's completely invincible until he stops, but if you're too close he'll shoot you and hurt you. Once you get to the part where he stops, drive right up the stairs past him and stop in the slightly lower part past it, then pop all his buddies in the head.

Also, there is armor near CJ's house. If you go out into the canal, then head north and look under the bridge, you'll find it.

Wrong Side Of The Tracks is similarly about not positioning yourself badly, you just need to stay near the front of the train but not right beside it so that Smoke can actually shoot the guys and not just hit the side of the train.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah I don't think GTA needs customization of the underlying character, at least not beyond the San Andreas fat/thin wimpy/muscular deal, but they should learn some things from Saints Row's clothing system like creating custom outfits and a decent browsing system.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone know how to make the AA-12 in Gay Tony fire a bit faster? I've tried fiddling with the only value I can think of with a weapon editor (Time between shots), even going so far as to set it to zero, but it never speeds up and never slows down :psyduck:

The two AA-12s are different guns, maybe you're changing the wrong one?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That only applies to steamworks games. You can TRY doing what you want to do and it MAY work, but I wouldn't count on it.

But there's no "steam functionality" in any non-steamworks game anyway. You can just install the game, click the add a game button in steam and get the steam overlay.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That or a DS3 with the drivers that let you emulate a 360 controller. Don't waste your money on lovely controllers.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Disable the mouse flying thing, bind the controls for pitch/rudder to the numpad and use two hands on the keyboard. Changing the camera can help a lot depending on exactly what you're trying to do.

The mission button (2 by default) will pull up the gear on your plane, that gives a massive performance boost on the planes that can do it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Underflow posted:

Btw, is there a way to modify/wire up a wireless Xbox controller to a PC? I have a redundant one I can hack into. Tried making it talk to a standard w/l receiver, but no go.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows-Pc/dp/B000HZFCT2

But as people have said, you're better off on m/k anyway. There are already other converts in this thread.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

VC isn't that bad, but man is III ugly. Speaking of which, as someone who first played SA, then IV (did not finish but I feel like I'll start playing again soon,) III (did not finish) and lastly VC, I can't understand how someone could look back at the PC version of III and say it was a good game. Was it influential? Yes, highly so, but the models were godawful, the map terrible, the lack of running/climbing/swimming a bit ridiculous, the shotgun holding gangs ridiculous and there was that loving "whoa" animation whenever you failed to jump over something. Was I just loving up or was the PS2 version a lot less frustrating to control? It was certainly surprising to see how much better VC and SA were than the original, which makes me sad to have not gotten any real spin offs this generation.

It was way worse on PS2. It ran like absolute rear end, had a draw distance of about 10 feet, and the controls were garbage. When it first came out I heard a bunch of great stuff about it, then I saw the game and played it for about 5 minutes and was incredibly unimpressed.

It was, however, something radically different, and showed a lot of promise that was realized in Vice City and San Andreas (and then mostly lost in IV).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I really want a San Andreas sequel, but I hope the next GTA isn't that. They need to get their footing back and make a real GTA game before they take a crack at a sequel to the greatest game of all time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

trandorian posted:

Floppy? Really?

Have you ever tried driving a car in first person in GTA4? The car physics are loving horrible. I like that there's more detail to the physics, but everything about GTA4's car handling is loving garbage.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The driving places is only a problem because the driving and the world are both garbage in GTA4.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

csidle posted:

I am so annoyed at the camera options in the video editor. I wish there was a way to just use the mouse to record your own movements, so you could literally just move around freely while the action goes on and record it that way. Does anyone know of any mods to the video editor that improve functionality? I haven't seen any, and I doubt they exist, but I sure hope so.

The video editor's camera functions are by far the best of any such system in a game. You just need to learn how to use it, it's REALLY good.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That map comparison is loving horrible and doesn't accurately represent anything. The only remotely correct scale is between GTA3 and San Andreas.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Tonton Macoute posted:

The game rewards good boring driving, but good and boring driving doesn't always ever equal fast fun driving, especially during chases. Only drive fast enough to lose line of sight, then, as soon as you hear the description of the car and your direction of travel going out on the police radio, make a turn, then another one for good measure and you're practically done.

Edited for accuracy. The thing to remember in GTA4 is that the developers had a boner for excising fun, and now there's almost no skill in the game. Just drive slow and boring and you'll get away from the cops every time. Make sure you use the radar zoom (down on dpad on consoles), it's really useful.

It's the same thing with the combat. Niko's horrendous lack of responsiveness will get you killed if you try anything fun, so just stand back and play whack a mole as the developers intended.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Himuro posted:

Also, one thing I want added to GTAV that Rockstar continuously ignores: audio settings. Hey guys, when I turn down sound effect volume in these games, guess why I'm doing it? Because the stupid car engines are louder than the character's voices and even the music. So when I turn down the sound effect audio, I'd like to hear the character's actually speak for a change.

This is probably because you have your sound setup configured wrong and the game is trying to play the voices through your nonexistent center speaker.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Himuro posted:

I have it set to stereo...

In windows? That kind of thing is really common in games when you have that sort of sound configuration issue, and I've never heard anyone complain that it was hard to hear voice work in GTA, they manage the volume levels really well.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

wa27 posted:

Speaking of vehicle damage, has ANY other game done a dynamic-damage system like GTA4 did? Along with the Euphoria animations, the vehicle damage was what impressed me the most about that game.

Viper Racing did in 1998. Vehicle damage is just one of those areas, like AI, where game developers have just been very very lazy and not even tried to do anything cool most of the time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Black and white? I think something is wrong with your TV/System

It is pretty much black and white at night in the rain. GTA4 is probably the worst offender in the horrible trend of games having ridiculous filters that annihilate all the color. The entire game looks incredibly samey because of it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

ChuckDHead posted:

Vice City's soundtrack is just perfect, but San Andreas' really grew on me over time. I was in a shop today when Rod Stewart's Young Turks came on the speaker system, and I was reminded really strongly of driving around the San Andreas desert or countryside at night with that song playing. I really wish I had one single memory like that for GTA4.

To be fair, this isn't only because of how good the music is. It's partly because the San Andreas world is so full of memorable places and things and the driving mechanics are so fun that you just want to go out and see them, and it's just a natural thing to associate specific music with a specific memory.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

GTA4 is really pretty, has improved controls, more detailed physics and... that's about it. Niko is the worst GTA character, the plot is stupid and terrible, there's a dramatic lack of progression and customization, the world is incredibly bland and samey, for the first time there are dramatically fewer kinds of vehicles, driving is the least fun, the side content is largely awful, there are almost no random events, the radio stations are nowhere near as good as the previous games, the game runs like rear end on every platform, and there are none of the innovations other games have introduced like replaying missions/cutscenes and having an actually good UI for selecting stuff that you own.

GTA4 is a good game, but Rockstar can do and have done far better. Even TBOGT fixed a lot of the poo poo that was wrong with GTA4, but I hope that GTA5 is more than one step forward and two back.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 13, 2012

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Tumble posted:

CJ didn't really have that; he had a savage hate-on for drugs like crack and heroin, but his antipathy for drugs, drug-addicts and drug-dealers lead him to kill hundreds of people involved with them. That's worse than anything involved with the drug trade presented in the games story.

CJ hates drugs and dealers because they've hosed with people he cares about, not because he's a good person. He's apathetic about violence because he doesn't care at all about people who aren't his friends and associates. The only people he feels bad about murdering are his old friends.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Reive posted:

Installed GTA3 PC now that I have a good enough PC to run it and I'm running into some really bad graphical problems, any ideas?

Try some other games, normally that kind of artifacting means your video card is hosed, but if it's just GTA3 it's probably something else.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Avocados posted:

How the heck do I keep my sex appeal up? I look pretty well dressed, having the best clothes San Fierro has to offer. (Still locked out of Las Venturas). I also have maxed muscle and very little fat, but my sex appeal is around 25% still.

Just take an expensive car to your dates (a bullet always spawns in a spot on a side road between the garage and the airport) and don't crash it on the way. Dating has a few weird bugs in general and you should just read a faq about it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The problem isn't the lack of mid mission save points, it's that driving in GTA4 is not fun (which makes you want to skip the driving part of the mission) and that cover shooter combat is loving poo poo (so when you get bored of playing whack a mole, you die).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There is a huge difference between types of vehicles in San Andreas, and braking is really important for driving well. The idea that you can take every turn at top speed with the accelerator down in every car is a ridiculous fantasy people have come up with.

GTA4 driving is loving garbage, all the vehicles have awful acceleration, basically no grip, bad brakes, and suspension that is straight up comedy, which results in supercars struggling to turn inside an intersection at 30 MPH. San Andreas's driving model is not only more fun, but vastly more skillful, in large part because you can drive much faster without crashing. The greater physics detail and vehicle damage in GTA4 are great, but the way they're put to use is really really bad.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I'm pretty sure that over three quarters of the lines in that video aren't even used in the game. It's pretty interesting.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Because the Housers REALLY have a hate-on for the US, if you hadn't noticed.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Holy poo poo that's incredible. I am really loving impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

simosimo posted:

This thread is making me want to play SA AGAIN! I remember last time I tried, my STEAM version was constantly crashing. I tried a few tweaks (downgrading, frame limiter on (yuck) but nothing worked.

That was a few video-card drivers ago but I'll ask anyway - Anyone else had problems with SA on steam on Win 7 (ATI HD6970?)

I'm pretty sure San Andreas is one of the games where the copy protection makes it crash on newer OSs. I know that with a crack and XP compatibility mode it's stable on my system. Disabling the steam overlay is also probably a good idea.

Vice City is giving me fits, though. It crashes very reliably on interior transitions after doing a certain random series of actions. I've thought it was a series of things but now I've got steps to recreate the crash nailed down and I can't seem to stop it from happening. Has anyone had this issue and do you remember how you fixed it?

• Locked thread