Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The best Grand Theft Auto video of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drp9o4E7G7U

Really makes me want to purchase the PC version!

edit: Whoop I am a dumbass, this link was posted on the previous page (in my defense, it's a hard-to-see link)

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Why hasn't anyone begun the GTA5 city guessing game?! I'm hoping for a San Francisco lookalike, but seeing how cyclical the series has been with locations, it'll probably be Vice City.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

He means a "level editor," you grade-A doof ball! And yeah, a level editor would own harder than anything else on earth...

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, don't get me started on GTA IV's "moral choices". Do you kill this person or let them go? Doesn't loving matter at all, but here have a slightly different cutscene!

While I agree with you a little, you must realize that, to implement the kind of thing you're dreaming of, Rockstar would have to account for a number of options that grew exponentially with each character added into the story.

No game company on earth could handle the complexity that arises when you start dealing with situations like "ok, what should Kate say to Niko if Niko killed Dmitry but didn't kill what's-his-name." They'd have to record millions and millions of hours of dialogue to meet every circumstance.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I wonder if they're going to use LA Noire's facial mocap technology in GTA5. I'd guess "yes," since GTA always puts crazy emphasis on characters and dialogue cutscenes. Then again, it costs a bazillion dollars and you need a "real" actor for every single character in the game.

If they didn't add facial motion capture, however, what else could they add to the engine? In terms of scenery and detail, GTA4 is already pushing the current gen consoles to their absolute limit.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

That Awful Nick posted:

Was it a GTA3 "have fun, do a thing!" style game or more of a GTAIV "serious story, realistic missions" affair.

It was totally fun-focused. If you can find it for cheap it's definitely worth playing.

Everything feels great except that the game suffers from a ~really stupid~ cop evasion system. When your wanted level rises, you need to attack cops to get it down. But 90% of the time the cops will crash their cars themselves and you'll lose your rating anyways. As a result, losing cops was so easy that you never had to worry about getting arrested at all.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Exactly 2 days until Rockstar announces the next GTA game that everyone will claim to hate despite it being nearly perfect!

What GTAV needs to do to make nerds like it: literally keep the words "you can turn the cell phone off, you know" flashing in the upper-right hand corner of the screen.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Himuro posted:

Concentrating solely on the story and ignoring the friends really brings up my enjoyment of the game.

I really think that Rockstar expected players to largely ignore their friends. It actually makes the story feel a bit richer, because as time goes on Nico gradually begins to alienate everyone.

Nico is actually kind of a weird character if you keep up all of your friendships. *kills 100 people* "Sure, I have time for darts!!"

And really, the fact that I felt guilty the first few times I said "no" to Roman really showcases the strength of the characters. I felt guilty for telling a video game character I didn't want to play darts with it.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 1, 2011

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

2 hours 30 minutes till the trailer! Let's place bets on what we'll see. I'm betting on:

• Characters with facial motion capture, a la LA Noire
• One shot of the main character riding a horse

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

The Dave posted:

I thought this was GTA4's first trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M80K51DosFo

Yeah, this guy is right, this was the first trailer. But then again, gta4 was a huge jump visually from gta3 so this kind of trailer made sense. GTA5 can't have the same visual jump since it's still running on 360 and ps3, so I don't think the trailer will be purely "look at the city!"

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

It looks like a prettier, more colorful gta4 with slightly improved graphics/lighting and better animations. Which yeah, could pretty much be A Perfect Game. If they nail mission variety, that is!!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

Please please please suck less than GTA4. I had to forcefully push myself to finish the game and get my $60 dollars worth. At least the graphics look nice in the trailer.

Ug. Just a reminder, an utterly fantastic game with 2 or 3 slightly annoying elements doesn't "suck."

I know critical reviews aren't everything, but seriously now—literally the highest rated game of all time:
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all?view=condensed&sort=desc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Big new trailer for V that's split into 3 parts, one for each character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38HiYPMiI

I don't want to get overhyped but this does really look incredible. I thought GTA4 would have been perfect if it had more of three things: color, crazy fun, & variety. It definitely looks like they're covering those three bases with this one.

edit: and the faces look so good ungggghh. After watching this stuff Nico Bellic looks like a miserable pile of blurry grey polygons.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 30, 2013

• Locked thread