Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

trandorian posted:

I wish the gang system in GTA SA hadn't been restricted to just the eastern half of Los Santos.

Also It'd be neat if that gang system had allowed you to drain some of your mad stacks of cash by paying off gangs to join Grove Street instead of having to do tedious battles for 100 territories each.

For some reason, I thought Saints Row 2 handled gang warfare far better than GTA:SA. In GTA, it felt like a chore whenever you had to defend one of your territories, but in Saints Row 2 it wasn't nearly so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I have a friend who works in QA for Rockstar North, and she had to remove her "employer" on Facebook because people were trying to hack her email accounts.

Also, she refuses to talk about work at all - a good thing, given how seriously they take security at these companies.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

BrandonGK posted:

But... But think of all the forum cred!

One of my brothers is also friends with a level designer there.

Internet cred doesn't earn you as much money as a job. Or for that matter, a career. All I'm saying is that the people who know anything worth leaking have way too much to lose to actually do it.

EDIT: Funnily enough, I work for Nokia. We're familiar with the phone left in a bar problem - and we're leakier than a sieve.

Otik fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 10, 2011

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I've said it before, but one of my closest friends works at Rockstar North and they put the fear of God into her regarding her NDA. She won't even go into details about projects she has worked on that have been released, let alone stuff like GTA V.

I think that's pretty typical there, so I'm left doubting pretty much any leaks I hear about - especially the ones that sound like terrible game design.

EDIT: Oh, and NDAs definitely do not get lifted when you leave the company.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
According to this, GTA IV is rendered at a native 720p resolution on the Xbox 360. The PS3 renders it at 1152x640 for some reason. I imagine it will be similar for GTA V, considering they're using the same engine.

This is the biggest :goonsay: post I've ever made.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
Once again according to the same place I linked before, RDR and GTAIV are apparently rendered with 2XAA on the 360.

It actually looks like that might be accurate, but the car is looking aliased because of the way some engines render scenes:

quote:

"missing" MSAA - AA is apparent in certain cases, and it's possible the rendering pipeline or the use of post-processing effects, with respect to the MSAA resolve, messes with the end results. e.g. drawing effects after the msaa resolve.... HDR tone-mapping occurring after the msaa resolve, leading to no AA'd edges... etc

Consider that an AA'd frame is resolved and the HDR lighting is applied afterwards. The lighting would be using colour ranges far exceeding the original resulting in an incorrect comparison.

If you look at the sign or lamppost in the background it does look like there is some AA going on, but the car is highly specular so some shaders might be messing with the anti-aliasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

San Andreas is coming to mobile devices in December!

That's a preeeeeeeeetty huge open world game to put on phones and tablets, but I guess if they've already done GTA3 and Vice City for mobile, they can do this one somehow too.

I probably won't buy this one just like I didn't buy GTA3 or Vice City for mobile because I don't want to play those games with touch controls, but it's still very impressive that they're able to get the game on these devices.

It does have controller support, though, so playing a remastered version of the game on a tablet with a controller would be pretty awesome.

Ooooh yeah. On Windows Mobile Phone, too!

• Locked thread