Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If Rockstar just released that as their next game instead of a new GTA title, I'd be perfectly okay with that.

Seriously, I'd probably play it forever. As it is, I played San Andreas for like 2 solid years after it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

webmeister posted:

So yeah, the story is still awesome and the game was brilliant at the time, but it would need a lot of work to bring it up to a modern standard. Don't forget that awesome mission where you need to spend 20 minutes grinding up your underwater breathing skills!

That was the worst part of the entire game, I'm with you there (well, that and "All you had to do was follow the drat train, CJ!"). But the rest of the stuff you listed, I'm okay with all that. The last time I played through it was when I bought it on XBOX Live at like the end of '09. I was still just as in love with it then as I was when it came out. It was still a hell of a lot of fun for me to replay, which I can't say is true for GTA IV.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Iacen posted:

I thought San Andreas was too big v:shobon:v

San Andreas was just the right size. I thought the driving times between places were pretty accurate to real life, and I didn't mind them because you had all sorts of cool vehicles to drive. Taking a jetpack from San Fierro to Las Venturas was pretty fantastic. And you got to see all the cool scenery along the way.

Like if I had come out of Los Santos and immediately been in San Fierro, it would've felt weird. I loved having small towns and wooded areas and mountains and whatnot to break it up. Then when I got to the new city, it really felt like I had progressed into some entirely different area.

It always seemed like Rockstar got that right to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Both times I played through GTAIV, I sided with Dwayne and killed Playboy just so I could get his sweet rear end apartment. Never hung out with Dwayne, though. He came across like a little bitch to me too but I never felt guilty enough to hang out with him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Junk posted:

Killing Playboy means you get the GTA3 outfit.

Above all else, this is why it is the correct path.

...wait, Claude's black jacket and dark green camo pants?

:stare:

Now I have to re-play GTAIV. I never knew that was an unlockable.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The bank heist mission with all those guys was absolutely insane and probably the peak of that whole game. Then nothing after that comes close to being as huge as that mission.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Himuro posted:

Did the trailer feel like Vice City to anyone else? It's mostly the colors.

Absolutely.

Also, drat the areas look a ton more detailed than they did in SA :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm at work and I had to watch the trailer with the sound off so I have no idea who the main character is supposed to be :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That Awful Nick posted:

We're going back to Los Santos guyysssss! This is the best possible outcome! Yayyyy!

San Andreas with Euphoria physics. It really doesn't get any better than that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That Awful Nick posted:

Was that a jet fighter flying through the skyline in that one cut? Please let me fly that jet fighter. I need it. For reasons.

Hobo fightin' reasons.

Holy poo poo, doing a bombing run of a tent city would be the best thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Can I fly off the top of Mount Chiliad in a dirtbike again, this time in glorious high definition? Because if so, :rock:

That death animation is going to be absurd.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Install Gentoo posted:

There has been 0 confirmation of three cities. All we have is that some signs say other cities' names but IV had signs and references to Los Santos, Venturas, Vice City etc without any way to go there.

I hope there's another mission like the one in GTA:SA where you fly to Liberty City and they show a cutscene of an environment lifted straight from GTA3 but with better graphics.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I imagine so. I took that ratty area with the hot woman to be San Fierro for some reason.

That said, if Rockstar is sticking to 'San Andreas,' we could have some of those smaller cities as well. If they're making this vast, why just stick to the big three cities? Who knows how big this thing is?

If they ever make a game on a bigger scale than GTA:SA, it'll probably be the best game ever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

marktheando posted:

About the map sizes- here's a cool image comparing the sizes of the game worlds in various games-

But I would be really shocked if they have all of San Andreas in there. As much as I would love it. San Andreas is still probably my favourite game ever. I'm glad they are at least revisiting Los Santos.

What the gently caress? San Andreas is one of the smallest? :psyduck:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Los Santos looks loving huge. Bigger than it did in GTA:SA.

Does this imply that it's the whole map or only part of a larger map? I'm hoping for the latter :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Crappy Jack posted:

I think that's more than enough map. I loved how dense Liberty City was, I don't want them cutting down on the details for the sake of just making a bigger city.

You'd rather them only do 1/3 of the map from SA and have it be super detailed rather than a recreation of the entire map (hell, maybe even more based on the locations in Los Santos not appearing in SA (at least, I don't think they did)) that's just detailed?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Crappy Jack posted:

Correct. Yes. A huge sandbox does not always equal a fun sandbox if there's not as many things to do in it.

Well if there's a huge map (like in SA) with as many things to do as there were in SA (hopefully more / different things so it's not a total rehash), it'll be fun as hell (like SA was).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zedd posted:

If they would make a full ps2-SA sized map with the detail that went into 4 you would need immense manpower or immense dev time to get it done.

Do they not have that?

I guess I'd be satisfied if it was just Los Santos and Los Santos was a ton more detailed than SA's Los Santos was. But if they really went all out and made all 3 loving counties like SA had but with that level of detail across the board, it'll probably be the best 360 game of all.

poo poo, put a bunch of load times in the game. I don't care. I just want to see the scale of SA's map with the amount of detail in that trailer released a couple days ago.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Install Gentoo posted:

I'm pretty sure this one city alone will be both more detailed and larger (in area) than all of SA was. IV's Liberty was already more detailed than all of SA, albeit only 2/3 the area.

Yeah.

Yeah, that's fine. I just hope all the detail makes Los Santos a more fun place to play. Parts of SA's Los Santos were really amazing and then other parts were boring as hell. Same thing with San Fierro and Las Venturas, too, really.

If all the most interesting parts of the three main cities from SA are combined into one (or something different is done that's equivalent to that happening) for GTA5, I'll be content.

It looked like that's what was going on in the trailer, though, so I'm not worried.

Install Gentoo posted:

GTA 1 Liberty City

GTA 1 San Andreas (San Fierro really)

GTA 1 Vice City

Jeez, I haven't played GTA1 in ages. Forgot all about its maps.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

simosimo posted:

Not that LA Noire was the most invigorating game to free-roam in, I found the map to be rather dull. Then again, I wasn't going on murderous rampages. I'm sure Los Santos will be 20x more fun!

Wasn't the game redone in some ways and then rushed near the end of its development cycle? From what I've heard, they put all their time and energy into getting the main story to be awesome and didn't focus on polishing up the city or giving people an excuse to free roam at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FetusOvaries posted:

Someone posted this picture too

:stare:

Well poo poo. It's either all fake or they're doing the entire map.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The hope is that it'll resemble SA pretty closely, maybe even do some things much better.

At least, that's my hope :3:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wandle Cax posted:

I never played GTAIV, is it worth just getting the episodes standalone disc, does that have enough content/replay value or should I really play the main game if I want to experience GTAIV? Really I want to know if the main game is worth bothering with, because i've heard positive things about the DLC.

Get the complete collection (main game + DLC packs). The main game deserves to be played through at least once, and after you get through it, you'll be familiar with the layout for the DLC packs, which are better than the main game.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GTAIV had & Down by Boys Noize and Sebastian's remix of Testarossa Autodrive by Kavinsky on its electro station, and they're pretty great to drive to, but they aren't as memorable as most of the tracks on 3 / Vice City / San Andreas.

GTAIV also had that neat ambient station, but it wasn't something I could listen to all the time. It was only enjoyable to listen to every so often.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GTA3's soundtrack loving ruled :colbert:

I still to this day get songs from Head Radio, Lips 106, RISE FM and MSX FM get stuck in my head from time to time, and that game came out 10 years ago.

In fact, I think GTA3's soundtrack was just as memorable as Vice City's or San Andreas', if not moreso.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I feel like that will be an absolute bitch to play on my iPhone with the on-screen joysticks, like Chinatown Wars was for me. It's pretty neat that it'll be available on there, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ElwoodCuse posted:

To go with GTA 3 mobile, Lips 106 and Head Radio have 7-song collections on itunes for $3

Now THIS I will absolutely throw money at!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I had already played through / beaten Chinatown Wars on DS before I got my first iPhone, so that when I got the game on iPhone, I didn't really care enough to play it all over again with terrible controls.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I had never played the Stories games either, but I got a pack of both of them on PS2 last year and tried to play them. They didn't grab me that much at all. I don't know what it was, but I just couldn't get into either one of them. But I will say that Liberty City Stories had motorcycles, and riding through the streets of GTA3's Liberty City on a motorcycle was loving awesome.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Install Gentoo posted:

They really need to bring the Stories games to the PC/modern consoles. The PS2 versions of Liberty City and Vice City stories actually look worse than the PSP version! More fog, lower detail and all that.

I think that's a big part of why I couldn't get into them. They looked less-advanced than GTA3 which came out several years before them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Himuro posted:

So they announce GTAV and then...nothing. What the gently caress.

Was new info about the game supposed to be coming out today or something?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GAY RETARD posted:

That was the single worst moment of saints row three. I hate sublime.

But if your character had the zombie voice, it was loving phenomenal listening to a version of What I've Got done entirely in groans and screams.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Corzaa posted:

I remember back in San Andreas I was loving around and went AFC (away from controller) and when I came back CJ was rapping some lines from Nuttin but a G Thang.

Didn't he do this even if you weren't listening to it on the in-game radio? Because I barely ever listened to the hip-hop station back when I used to play San Andreas, and I'm pretty sure he would sing a line or two from it if you were away from the controller, no matter where you were.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

err posted:

Can someone tell me the download size of GTA3 on the Android Market?

I know it's like a 18mb initial download, how much is after?

On iOS, it's ~500mb. Not sure if it's the same amount on Android, but I'm not sure why it would be different.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pablo Gigante posted:

No new GTAV news but the ESRB just re-rated GTAIII and Vice City for PS3 which probably means they'll be released as PS2 Classics.

gently caress yes :rock: Day one purchase for me.

There's no chance they'd get HD remakes instead of just getting re-released as PS2 classics, huh? That would be incredible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pablo Gigante posted:

It's possible! Nobody really knows right now. That would be awesome if they did a GTAIII, Vice City and San Andreas HD pack. Hell, toss in the Stories games too! Can't be that much extra work.

Best case scenario, for sure. That would be so awesome and would keep me occupied for quite some time.

But

The Dave posted:

If the original assets weren't made at a high res I know I wouldn't want to spend time retexturing everything.

this makes sense so I don't know how likely it is :smith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Driver mission in VC was frustrating as loving hell the first time I played VC (when I was like 13). I think I finally ended up finishing it by ramming the opponent into a wall or traffic or something early on so I could get ahead and not have to worry about him catching up easily.

The other mission that frustrated me to no end was the one where you have to jump all the rooftops on a motorcycle to activate the spotlight. I remember I tried over and over again, and every time, I'd get to this one spot but miss the next loving jump and I'd have to start from a location that was several rooftops behind where I had gotten to. The time limit would always expire as a result of this.

I ended up giving up on the game altogether for something like 6 months. Then when I came back to it, I passed that mission on the first try :suicide:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Spalec posted:

:ssh: Try using a helicopter next time, you just need to land at each checkpoint.

Haha well that was many years ago. I've beaten the game a few times since then, and I think I used a helicopter for that mission on at least one of my subsequent playthroughs.

I guess I just wasn't thinking out of the box the first time I did it, and the route they presented you with wasn't a very easy one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Espresso 2 Go was pretty aggravating for me the first few times until I was able to really formulate a route around all the different areas of the city. Then it became awesome.

Similarly, the mission where you have to get Ray to the airport with a very short time limit without taking the Shoreside Vale bridge was super frustrating. Was there even another way you could do it besides taking the underground tunnel? I would always take the tunnel for that mission, and my car would get beat to hell because I'd be weaving in and out of traffic in narrow spaces and I kept hitting other cars. By the time I got Ray to the airport, my car was one hit away from catching on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The first time I played through GTA3, I got in this big shootout with the cops right after I got in the bulletproof Patriot for the first time to test out whether or not it was really bulletproof. I got out of the car for some reason and was shot to death by an Army guy with an M4 or whatever that assault rifle was with the lightning fast fire rate. So I died, and when I respawned and went to go grab the car again, it was gone. I guess because I had taken it out of the garage.

Oops! :suicide:

• Locked thread