Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The guy who voiced Yusef is the bloke in the Mummy who gets a beetle in his brain and smashes his head into a wall. He was in Gladiator too I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Rockstar is usually pretty quiet about games aren't they? I mean trailers for GTA IV weren't coming out until like 6 months before release and they put out about 4 trailers for that total. Same with RDR, maybe this game is going to be out in the next 6-9 months?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

csidle posted:

No, the marketing for GTA 4 was intensely focused over 13 months. First trailer was released March 2007, the game was released April 2008.

So it was, huh. Felt like less time between the first trailer and release than that I guess.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 25, 2011

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I like the Breaking Bad idea, especially if the opening mission is a ten minute day in the life of type thing with the credits on the screen while you do your humdrum stuff before it all comes crashing down and you do something crazy.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

I wonder if they GTAIV storyline is axed as well. Back to the drawing board?

The storyline wouldn't be axed, it was finished in GTAIV. Could see it being similar to the 3, VC and SA thing where side characters and stuff would show up from the other games or they might just start anew. I wouldn't be suprised if Brucie or Packie showed up if they did the shared universe thing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I don't think any one of the first parties is going to be in any position to force Rockstar to put anything in a new GTA game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Shindragon posted:

And then they have the nerve bitch I was an hour late. I was driving thru traffic you gently caress!

Or they'd call you up, demand you hang out, demand you come pick them up and drive them round and do things and then take them back home. Niko knew a lot of dickheads didn't he.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Knightmare posted:

It's funny because in the GTAIV hype thread a ton of people were clamoring for a more realistic GTA.

Yeah I remember people were looking at pictures from the bank mission out of context and saying that the dufflebag meant you could carry one big weapon and then a pistol or a small machinegun and being excited for that feature.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

davebo posted:

Seems like sidewalks and parking lots would be places gangs would want to control to sell drugs I guess.

Yeah but to start a fight for control of them you'd have to luck into finding a group of 3 on that tiny little sliver of territory, kill them and then survive waves of dudes coming in an open area with no cover.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Or drove into that explosive goddam swingset on the first island. I hope there's some sort of cliffside road you can have chases on in GTA V, with some really jagged rocks at the bottom so you can get some really mangled cars.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Poodlebear posted:

I've had GTAIV for a while on PS3 but I never bothered to buy those expansions. Are they worth it for 20$ each on PSN? Is there a cheaper way to get a hold of them? I'd like to get all caught up before GTAV comes out.

You can get them on Amazon for $16 for both on disc, it's called "Episodes from Liberty City".

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Bland posted:

Isn't the golf course/country club in San Fierro?

Well it's not going to be exactly the same as SA Los Santos, they could easily have put a golf club in LS. Some of the buildings like the one with the foreclosure sign did seem in the San Fierro style though so who knows at this point.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Spalec posted:

They can, just probably don't want the fuss associated with it.

Although Red dead redemption had uncensored boobs at least once, as did LA Noire.

And The lost and dammed had fully exposed :dong: in it, so who knows?

Pretty sure RDR had a guy loving a girl like right on screen while Marston was getting a mission intro. It didn't really add much but it was there.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ChuckDHead posted:

And for "normal people" like you who just like to wreck stuff, didn't you notice that you couldn't even have much fun rampaging because you never got any interesting weapons or vehicles anyway? No chainsaw, no minigun, no flamethrower, very little RPG ammo available and only at a terrible spawning location, no combine harvester, no tanks, no jetpack: no fun rampages. Still, you can push people down stairs now, right?

This was sorta fixed in the expansions at least so I'd expect more crazy weapons in this. Stuff like the satchel charges, explosive rapid fire shotgun and the shotgun you could use on a bike were pretty fun. Even basic stuff like the grenade launcher in TLAD had a really fun feel and sound.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Metrication posted:

The Burnout Paradise map looks wildly out of scale compared to everything else here, I can't believe it's that big (certainly didn't feel like it). Compare the size of a city block to SA and it's completely out of proportion.

Anyway GTA V looks pretty promising, but I would have preferred Vice City really.

If you slow down in Paradise everything is out of proportion, city blocks were way bigger than they should have been because you go so fast.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ChuckDHead posted:

Actually, do LATD and Gay Tony have new additions to the soundtrack as well? That'd be nice.

If you buy them both together on disc they apparently have 3 new radio stations, I might do that even though I bought TLAD when it came out. Think you can get them both now for less than 20 quid.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Could easily do something like female main character borrows money from loan shark, business goes to poo poo and she can't pay it back. Starts working for the loan shark or another bigger gangster to get the money and then at some point halfway through realises "wait why am I working for this guy? I'm smarter than him and I've got contacts now, gently caress it I'm gonna kill him and take over". That could be the big half way through mission like killing Diaz in VC and then you start going up in the world.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They'll probably have both the taxi system and the "gently caress it, I can't be arsed. You drive instead" system when you're on a mission from L.A Noire as well and you'll be able to skip those journeys too so hopefully everyone will be happy.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

Saints Row makes things fast and convenient. Red Dead Redemption makes things fast and convenient. Just Cause 2 makes things fast and convenient.

So...you're saying GTA games should continue to exist in a little bubble?

Wasn't Red Dead pretty much the same with regards to fast travel? You could whistle for a horse in RDR or call a dude to bring you a car in SR3 (Edit:Saints Row 2). How is that different from calling a Taxi or Roman in GTA?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 5, 2011

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I loved GTAIV and RDR when it was pissing it down with rain or there was a massive storm. It was very atmospheric when it coincided with a big chase mission or a shootout. Hopefully we'll get similar stuff up in the mountains in V.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Speaking of something broken, I can't seem to get the high end clothing store in SA to work :(. CJ pops in the dressing room and doesn't come out at all. What?

Maybe that's where Bigfoot was all along, in the dressing room of Didier Sachs. Man how weird/sad is it that I remember clothing store names in GTA games better than I do real life ones?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

What I would really want is for them to admit that the writing in The Saboteur sucked, give up on being serious

When was the Saboteur serious? The tutorial has you following your German race car rival to a factory where you find out he is is also a Nazi scientist who tortures you and your brother. Later on in the game you fight him on a burning zeppelin.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah and Rockstar releasing a new GTA game is going to be a big deal even if the consoles are winding down. We'll probably get a new console announcement this E3 right? They can release GTA between that announcement and the consoles coming out and trumpet it as the 360 and PS3s last big hurrah.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's not entirely true. There was one casting sheet leaked last year that is most likely for the game although there is another casting sheet that is confirmed to be false. There are also some domain names that Rockstar has purchased that sound like they most likely have to do with the in-game internet. We know multiplayer is making a return. We know that they're hiring testers and have licensed out the guide book. So, you know, besides the trailer we know next to nothing, with a fraction of what we know still not being confirmed and wrapped up in bullshit.

Ah the Rockstar promotional campaign, makes me feel all nostalgic.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

I've done that before, interrupting the hands up animation to shoot the cops. Isn't it a core part of gameplay?

I think he means like waiting beyond the point where you can get away and then the cop gets killed like what happened in his example.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
To me that sounds great but it also doesn't really sound like a GTA game, sounds more like the crime sim equivalant of those hardcore military sims.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
In Vice City it was pretty much every dude from a "rival" open world crime game wasn't it? Think there were thinly veiled True Crime and Getaway characters you had to kill as well as the Driver.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Mander Char Char posted:

If you flip over, it's possible to save the car by holding both the back button and a left or right button. It takes time to figure out which way to turn to unroll, but it's a good feeling to unflip an upside down car.

I think I did this on the ambulance missions in Vice City the time I actually finished them. That was a tense moment. That was probably the first game I completed 100% that measured it and gave you a reward, totally worth it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm assuming GTAV isn't coming out until sometime next year due to the lack of anything at E3, correct?

Rockstar almost never does anything at E3, it might even be actually never rather than almost never. They probably think they can announce GTAV whenever the hell they want and it'll work out fine.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Looks like a fan thing to me, like an attempt to put all the PS2 era GTA cities onto a map with soundalike names for made up places in between.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I seem to recall having that happen to me twice but this was at release so you'll forgive me if I don't remember exactly how I dealt with it. Probably just did it and it randomly decided not to dick me over that time. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I bought the complete GTA pack on the Steam sale a few weeks back like some of you people did it seems, if I'm playing the episodes does that mean I get the full, full soundtrack or just the cut down versions you would get if you were playing the disc based versions on consoles?

• Locked thread