Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Himuro posted:

The character descriptions sound like GTA3 trilogy-esque.

I'm expecting it to be the total opposite of IV.

I hope the result is better than what Gay Tony did, though. Gay Tony was weird for me. It tried to be funny and cartoony, but it never really clicked. It felt like a bunch of random dudes doing stupid poo poo, while containing the "realism" of IV.

Luis co-owns the biggest nightclub in Liberty City. Unlike other GTA main characters he's not poor, he's not in desperate need for cash, he starts off with a high end apartment in GTAIV's Manhattan equivalent and yet he's pushing drugs for people, stealing diamonds for his gay boss and jacking army helicopters for his rich middle eastern friends. It just made no sense.

This makes me wonder how they're planning on handling GTAV as far as the storyline; injecting too much realism into the plotline sort of takes away from the ridiculousness that's inherent in sandbox games.

You had a sort of "test-run" in GTA3 with a silent protagonist and cartoonish, fairly simplistic personalities in the supporting characters. Makes sense, since 3 was the first move to the 3D, street-level sandbox world. Vice City paid homage to movies like Scarface and Carlito's Way, which are fairly over-the-top to begin with. San Andreas had some pretty great mechanics (your mileage may vary on maintaining CJ's physiology) but the attempt to veer CJ into "reluctant hero" territory didn't work so well. As has been said over and over again, what did Tenpenny really have to hang over CJ's head? You can't frame the protagonist for the death of a single officer when he's blown away multitudes of gangbangers, cops, and SWAT teams over the course of his missions.

GTAIV was a pretty bold move at trying to go deeper with the story, but a lot of backlash came from the somewhat glacial pace of the narrative in comparison with the insanity inherent in such a detailed game world. Want to go start a massive gunfight with the police? Sounds like fun, but hopefully your reputation with Jacob isn't too low, otherwise he won't sell you guns out of the trunk of his car anymore. Time to call him up and go shoot pool. In that context, going on a rampage just doesn't seem like it makes sense in the atmosphere of the game.

Since the Saints' Row games were mentioned, Saints' Row 2 exists in such an over-the-top universe and the Boss is such a remorseless psychopath that jumping into the game and obliterating everything in your path wearing a Borat-style swimsuit, top hat, stripper stilettos and sunglasses is actually par for the course.

GTA:Chinatown Stories got back to the lackadaisical ridiculousness of the old GTA games and was that much better for it. The protagonist provides constant commentary on how absolutely ridiculous the people around him are and it sounds like a bit of a self-aware burn on attempts at more serious narrative. We'll see if 5 will take itself a little less seriously.

vv It really is an awesome game, moreso because my first GTA was II. I give huge credit to Nintendo for breaking outside of their usual mold and taking a chance with it.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread