Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Castle
May 19, 2006

Yo Ton', you see these two guys?

Tumble posted:

My major issue with the GTA series is how the player characters make themselves out to be these moral people while the person controlling the game is always going to make those characters commit the most heinous acts of violence imaginable.

This never bothers me nearly as much as it seems to bother everyone else. I think I kind of prefer it. To me it's like two different game modes.
I like having the semi-serious narrative (as heavy-handed as it comes out sometimes). When I do the psychotic rampage thing I don't really feel like I'm playing the same character, or any character really. I'm just playing some arcade-style game for fun. When I get bored with that I'll go back to the main story and pick up where I left off.
The two separate, co-existing styles is a lot of what makes the GTA formula (and the sandbox formula in general) work for me. I suppose if anything had to change, maybe a less rigid story path would work; more branching paths or ways to change the world in a meaningful way. Though really I'm happy with the current style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Castle
May 19, 2006

Yo Ton', you see these two guys?

Himuro posted:

The sandbox genre works not because you have a playground but because you're rewarded for seeking out new stuff and getting new toys throughout the story.

This isn't really true for me, though I think there's room for both. When I do the 'run around and blow stuff up' thing I make my own goals (or not, sometimes the goal is just chaos).
Rewards for a series of optional missions like the ambulance stuff is a good addition but it doesn't come in to play for me when I'm doing my own thing in the sandbox.

• Locked thread