Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
After playing GTA IV, I really hoped that the next game would be about Packie in Vice City. I think I still hope that. I think his character would strike a nice balance where you could accept him committing mass murder, but also involve him in emotional character driven stuff.

I also really, really hope that this game incorporates the poker from Red Dead Redemption. In fact, I actually hope they don't entirely remove the friend system from GTA IV. It definitely added a lot of depth to the game. It would have been fine if they made the mini-games more fun. I just like having diversions that flesh out the world of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Really everything from GTA IV besides the actual driving and the friends system was refined in Red Dead Redemption.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Himuro posted:

Yep. But I wonder if they can carry over that same sense of lawlessness to modern times. Half the reason I think RDR worked was due to the setting because the random elements fell in line with the old western frontier feeling.
I don't think you can and really shouldn't bring that sense of lawlessness to GTA. In fact, I think part of the appeal to RDR is how threatening the environment is to Marston. In GTA games, outside of missions, you're usually the most dangerous thing currently in the environment.

I still think it would be cool to have some random events. For example, it would be cool if bad neighborhoods spawned muggers that tried to rob the player, have brawls spawn near bars, the occasional person being attacked in an alley, some gang battles, and so on. You would have to make them much rarer than the random events in RDR, but I still think they could add some life to things.

Gang hideouts would be pretty easy to adapt. Instead of following the structure of just running across one and meeting some stranger that tells you what's going on, they could have their own mission boss that just gives you a list of people/gangs that he wants whacked. Then have the hideouts replenish after certain amounts of time, allowing the player to go on another spree.

I think the occasional campfire you could come across in RDR would be really fun to adapt to GTA. You just replace them with general conversation points like an old man on a stoop, a lady on a park bench, a drunk at a bar. Don't have them work the same way in RDR where the person waves you over to talk--that only makes sense in RDR because you assume the campers haven't seen another person for some time--but have it show up on the mini-map.

Then there's stranger missions that were already being improved in Gay Tony and could be perfected if they all felt fun, interactive, and possessing a sense of consequence.

EDIT: Alternatively, just set GTA V in 1970s New York/Liberty City and you would actually have to increase the sense of lawlessness from RDR.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 15, 2011

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

You would only be able to tell if it was New York or LA if you saw a famous landmark.
That's not true. I know Chicago and New York well enough that I could mostly tell which city it is from a random photo. There are little things about architecture, signs, roads that you get to know pretty well if you live in a place for a bit. For example, there are a few generic parts of Broker in GTA IV that just feel like Brooklyn to me.

Manhattan and LA in particular are cities that are very overrepresented in popular media. I have no doubt that someone who's never been to New York could pick up some of the subtle cues from watching Law & Order.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

First off, anyone who knows anywhere well enough can tell whatever city it is from a random photo. Amazing.
I'm not saying it's amazing. I'm saying that there is more character and nuance to certain locations than just well-known landmarks.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Spalec posted:

Was there any controversy over the Stubbs :dong: scene? I would have thought Fox news would be all over that, especially after the hot coffee fiasco.
Red Dead Redemption actually had a pretty graphic sex scene that ended with full frontal nudity. I don't think much of an issue was made over it. The media might just be over video game controversies.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 21, 2011

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
At the very least "Jail Break" was the most perfect song for running from the cops.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

In fact the team, Rockstar Vancouver, has apparently never worked on a Rockstar game before or since. The game was well-received, so I don't know why... but there you go. That's why it feels so different than other Rockstar games.
I know this from the last page, but just wanted to correct this. Vancouver has actually been the lead developer on Max Payne 3 in association with other Rockstar Studios.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I also hope they do away with respawning outside of hospitals when you fail a mission. Just do what RDR did, cut out the middle-man, and have a screen that asks you if you want to retry or not.

Keep visits to hospital and jail outside of missions.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Cage posted:

It is kinda weird that the GTA games never had a difficulty setting.
GTA IV kinda does in that you can turn auto-aim off.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

Although I admit that I'd love it if there were an unlockable mode in GTA V where it mimics the style of the old games like GTA 1 and 2. You get the wacky announcer guy, Elvis impersonators, rampages and all that.
Rockstar should do some variant of Undead Nightmare for every game from now on.

Give me my serious game about an undercover cop losing his sense of morality and identity in the Los Santos drug trade. Then give me a silly DLC where I fly around in a jetpack setting Vinewood ablaze with my flamethrower and every other ridiculous idea they came up with during development.

I also don't really want the same level of customization as Saints Row. Still, I really hope they drop the preset outfits idea that they've been running with since Ballad of Gay Tony. I like playing dress-up.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Whalley posted:

I don't like the idea of killing someone's pet, even if it's in a videogame. Nobody should like the idea of killing someone's pet.
I wouldn't mind having birds. It would've added something to have some pigeons fly out of your way during a car chase.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the story loses a sense of purpose at one point. The stuff in Broker is a really nice build-up with Niko and Roman finding themselves further and further in trouble from the Albanians to Ivan to Faustin and finally having to get the hell out of Broker. It all comes with this nice subtext that neither Niko and Roman want to be involved in this stuff and their goals seem to be to live peaceful lives.

The stuff in Bohan works for a little bit off the strength of having to leave Broker. You get that sense of Niko being in hiding, having to find new ways to make money, and restart Roman's business.

Then Roman does have his business back and Dimitri doesn't seem like much of a threat. So, there's a chunk of the game where I feel a little unclear in what Niko's working for. You kind of get the sense that Roman still has debt because of his gambling problems and that you're helping support the new car service, but that's never really explicit.

There's still Niko seeking revenge, but honestly that never was as compelling to me as Niko just trying to escape his past and settle into a peaceful life. Honestly, the whole revenge thing seemed unnecessary and ultimately existed as a cheap way to get Niko to work with people that he otherwise wouldn't. Hell, you basically have to make the choice of getting revenge or letting go with Dimitri even though that doesn't work out well.

EDIT: Also, as much as "Hello cuzin!" is mocked, I think Roman is a really fun character and his interactions with Niko are awesome. I think he really adds a lot of soul to the first act or so of the game. There isn't enough Roman later on.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 3, 2011

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurchibles posted:

The cover system in GTA IV was and still is pretty good. It's not overly complex, it just does the job. I like that if you aim when in cover but not shooting your character pokes their head out, that was a really nice little touch.

Out of all the complaints I've head about that game, never known anyone to have an issue with the gunplay. It's hard but it's a lot of fun. 99% of the complaints I've heard have been made about the driving mechanics.
Honestly, I don't think any game mechanics in GTA IV are particularly bad outside of the lack of checkpoints. There's definitely stuff I think could have been done differently, added, or changed, but even the melee--which I don't like very much--is perfectly functional. Beyond that, I think it controls a hell a lot better than Vice City and San Andreas.

I get why people find realistic cars, cover shooting, and man-dates boring and unfitting of the game. I still don't think those things are actually bad.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
One of the most disappointing things about GTAIV is how the majority of your buddies have no real role in the game's ending. It's especially jarring since Packie has a personal reason to be involved in the revenge ending. I wish Brucie was the one flying the copter at the end, or something. Brucie should have been in the ending in some way.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Apparently Rockstar has been working on another DS title.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It kind of makes sense to (end-game spoiler) make a deal with Dimitri considering what Niko learns about the nature of revenge. What annoys me about that ending is Kate dumping you for making the deal. It makes no sense.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Did you see the cars in the video? Most of them looked like they were on comically floppy springs with the body nearly rolling off the frame whenever they turned.
I do see what you mean in the video, but it never seemed to be a problem in GTA IV.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Supeerme posted:

Killing Dwayne was the hardest thing I could ever do. I just wanted to leave and kill Playboy but I didn't want to fail the mission (I think you can fail it by sparing him.)
You really chose wrong. It's up to you if you kill Playboy or Dwayne. Killing Playboy earns you a penthouse and Dwayne as a friend which leads to the ability to call in bodyguards.

The only downside is that Dwayne gets really passive aggressive if you tell him that you don't want to hangout. It is funny when Niko eventually chews him out for being so self-centered.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really did like Rockstar's attempt to push a more serious story and hope it continues with GTAIV. That's not to say that GTAIV doesn't have issues. It floats around themes of corruption and the futility of the American Dream without actually making any real statement. Red Dead Redemption surpassed it in actually having some sort of thesis.

I'm pretty content with having Saints Row be my crazy crime sandbox and GTA being my more serious crime drama with satirical elements. With that said, one thing Rockstar really needs to work on is their gender politics. As great a character as Tony was, Bernie stands in direct opposition to him. GTAIV also really over-relied on the humor in conservative men being closeted homosexuals. We see it with Bernie's boyfriend, the Republican Space Rangers, and Brucie. It would also be nice to see women that are not either girlfriends or crazy. GTAIV's one was not enough.

Someone made a great point in the Saint's Row thread about how Saint's Row might be a bit juvenile in it's humor, you can play the game as a transexual and hangout with female, African American, and Hispanic characters that do not fall into cheap stereotypes. If Rockstar really wants to set the bar of video game storytelling higher then I think they really need to make more thoughtful considerations for how they depict people.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Himuro posted:

I'm liking GTAIV a lot more on my replay. I mean, I liked it a lot before, but was more conflicted towards it. I'm doing the Playboy/Dwayne set, just finished the Elizabeta set, and now I've unlocked Packie and Francis. I think this is the part where GTAIV is at its best, when the missions really open up and offer up constantly unique set pieces.
For me, GTAIV doesn't start to drag until it almost exclusively becomes about the mafia. Last time I played, I maintained every friendship, dated every girlfriend, did every side-quest. Once I was spending most of my time in Alderny, the game became a chore. I just found the mafia characters incredibly boring.

I also found Alderny really boring. I understand that it might be weird to not have a New Jersey analogue and it helped set up a rough three act structure. Still, I'd rather that they had just made Bohan, Broker, and Dukes a bit bigger.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Himuro posted:

Personally, I felt that GTAIV started to dip a little into Packie's mission set. I couldn't stand the McReary's.
I like Packie, but I'm a bit biased in the fact that I love Three Leaf Clover and he reminds me of people I knew growing up.

gently caress Derrick though. He only has one cool mission and he's obnoxious. You're a really lovely character when I actually have to put some thought into if I want to kill Francis McReary over you.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I don't think CJ and Tommy are in the video. Still, it would be interesting if they rebooted the characters in this game as the three playable characters with Catalina as the apparently rumored third female character.

Either way, I really hope that the narrator is at least one of the playable characters. It would be nice to have a guy who seems to be on top even if he's temporarily left his criminal ways behind.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think GTAIV also had this underlying critique of the badass mass murder video game protagonist. Niko starts the game as an incredible rugged badass, but he's miserable and emotionally damaged beyond repair. It's hard to kill fake people when you're presented a realistic representation of what that actually means.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, one of the things I hated the most about GTA4 was that there were times when you wanted a taxi but simply couldn't find one.
To be fair, that does capture the NYC experience. Although, if they're going to be realistic, Los Santos should have no cabs.

Personally, I was fine with the cab system in GTA4. If I ever really needed one, I just called Roman. The only thing that I'd really love for them to adapt is the system in LA Noire where you could just let the other person drive and have the in-car conversation happen as a cut scene.

I'd also like if they copied LA Noire's system of larger guns being stored in your trunk and grabbing them when you needed them.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the RPG elements and weight gain sound like bullshit. In fact, I'd actually be surprised if we get to buy/customize specific clothing items. I'm expecting the multiple preset outfits that we saw in Gay Tony and RDR.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
GTAIV's gameplay and story would have meshed much better if there had been some sort of business management aspect to it. Just subtracting money to settle Roman's gambling debts would have been stupid, but if you were actively investing money into different business ventures then it would have been pretty awesome.

Honestly, when I first played the game, I assumed the story was going to be about Roman and Niko's rise to the top. I was excited when Roman talked about wanting to open his own restaurant. I even thought that the relationship between Faustin and Dimitri was foreshadowing where Niko and Roman's relationship would eventually lead.

EDIT:

ChuckDHead posted:

To be fair, his friends are all horribly annoying and force him to do boring poo poo all the time. They should be paying him to spend time with them.
Brucie invites Niko to fly a helicopter around the Statue of Liberty with two attractive ladies and then leaves him a complimentary SUV when they're done. He's the greatest friend ever.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 6, 2011

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

simosimo posted:

I wonder if reg dates still give you forum cred. I've got an account from 2002 on there, perhaps I should post a leak?

- You are able to open your trunk and transport items, this was planned for GTA:SA, but technology at the time wasn't able to do this. See below for an SA screenshot of this feature.

Apparently OXM reported that Niko actually had the option to open trunks in the demo that they played. Who knows if they were just doing "Have a Heart" or something like that.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Is it too off-topic to throw Bully 2 speculation in here? Because that's what I'm going to do. It's actually kind of a bummer. There was a leak from Shawn Lee, the original game's composer, two years ago, saying that he would be doing Bully 2 shortly. This recent interview sadly makes it sound like any movement on a sequel will only be discussed now that Max Payne 3 is done with.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I have a feeling that the lack of news and hype for GTA V is for the sake of Max Payne 3. Starting the eventual media blitz now might overshadow the less sure success. We probably won't hear much till around E3. I just hope that it's a holiday release and we're not waiting till next year.

Hopefully the GTAForums will stop trying to interpret random numbers in the first trailer to figure out when news is going to come about.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Billy Grey is the best antagonist of any of the GTA IV games, if not all of GTA. Just throwing that out there.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So, I'm actually replaying the GTA IV games co-currently and in chronological order, mostly doings things so they match up. I'm using this timeline. It's mostly the best timeline that exists, but you still have to do some mental gymnastics since the bulk of the Lost Elizabeta missions have to happen after a point where it's implied that she went to prison in GTA IV. There's also stuff in her missions clearly intended to crossover with events in GTAIV that you now have to pretend don't.

I really hope the rumored multiple protagonists thing doesn't happen in GTA V. It will only trigger the worst part of my gaming tendencies.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 19, 2012

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'll be honest, when I first played GTA IV, I think I must have attempted Three Leaf Clover about a dozen times in one evening. I had to turn it off because hearing the McReary dialogue on the way over was making me physically sick.

I still loving love the mission. I think I do like the shooting mechanics of GTA IV. They're flawed, and RDR is heads and shoulders above, but I still enjoyed them. It was like playing a gritty 70s crime movie. The main problem is that the settings are often so loving boring. Most of the shootouts you have are in generic warehouses. Projects tend to be the most interesting locations, and they're inspired by places designed to be generic and cookie cutter. Shooting cops from the front door of a bank, running through fake Manhattan, going through alleys, eventually going through the subway tunnels, it's all very interesting in a way that the rest of the game isn't. It's actually utilizing the space and Liberty City as a location.

It sucks that there aren't checkpoints, but I do enjoy the rigor of the mission compared to others. If it had checkpoints, it would be perfect in my view, although I do wish the actual robbery wasn't essentially a cutscene. It would have been fun to actually do crowd control.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I just hope there are no toll booths. They made driving from Bohan to East Island really annoying. I hope for GTAV, Rockstar just make some dick pun on FasTrak and assume every car has one.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I originally sucked at Snow Storm because I tried to take on the cops and would eventually be swamped. You really just need to haul rear end and kill sparingly. It's a mission that tricked me into thinking it was harder than it actually was.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Himuro posted:

Another reason why GTA needs Saints Row's garage system.
They already added a pretty good system in Gay Tony where you could call Henrique to bring you a new car, and the list changed depending on what mission reward vehicles you had already received.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jigoku San posted:

Whats the point of rare or special cars when 90% of GTA missions say gently caress the time it took to find a Sabre GT or Sultan RS etc, please drive this POS slow junker to the mission.
GTA IV was a bit better about this in that they would have the mission car, but you could usually drive your own car. The larger problem was when the mission ended up having you leaving you car by some great distance and/or getting in another vehicle. You car would vanish.

Lost and the Damned fixed this in a couple of ways. In a lot of missions, it's specified that your bike is brought somewhere else. Johnny's Hexer also respawns. The latter only works since it makes sense for Johnny to already have a favorite bike that he likes to ride. The former doesn't even always happen.

Honestly, I don't like the SR garage system for dumb immersion reasons. They already have a system for easily accessing good cars. I think they just need to incorporate a system for keeping better track of your car. Also, I'd appreciate you actually being able to buy cars.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

See, I loved the aspects of buying up parts of Vice City, and taking over turf in San Andreas (though that was clumsier and more annoying overall), but the lack of any side business is a big missing gap in GTA IV. It's like they thought the STORY would be compelling enough and didn't want to distract from it.
I think it had more to do with their philosophy for GTA IV being stripping things down to the basics and reinventing what was left.

It would have been nice for Lost and the Damned to have some drug dealing game since that's apparently how they were making their money.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think I mentioned this before, but there is one little sliver of gang stuff in GTA IV. If you were the Albanian Biker Jacket in Hove Beach, you'll get jumped. It's such a weird little detail to have for one article of clothing that you probably won't wear after its specific mission in a part of the map that you probably no longer visit that often.

Personally I don't really care about having gangs, but it would be cool to have a bounty system where hits can be placed on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
From a narrative perspective, the biggest issue with GTA IV is that it really lacks both stakes and focus. The strongest part of the game is probably the first act in Broker. We get why things are happening. Niko is trying to protect Roman, he works for Little Jacob because he likes him, and then he ends up working for the Russians because he has to. We're always aware of the reason that the character is doing what he's doing. The fact that the game mechanics all feel new and varied also helps.

Once we go to Bohan, the characters now have the goal of restarting their lives, but we never experience that in real way. A business mechanic would have worked really well here. Use the Bank of Liberty website to by businesses, and have Roman manage them. Instead, we're just told that Niko is investing in the car service and giving Roman money to cover his debts. We don't actually feel those stakes, so Niko working for anyone pass Three Leaf Clover seems forced.

Besides supporting Roman, Niko's other main goal is revenge. The problem is that we're only told through one monologue why Niko cares so much about getting his revenge. Compare this to the first act of Red Dead Redemption that is centered on capturing an outlaw in a fort. The very first mission involves John Marston standing outside of the fort, asking for surrender, and being effortlessly shot. Our stakes are automatically set and the player is put in the position where they want to take down the bastard.

Then we have Dimitri as the game's antagonist and I can't understand why. What actual stake does he have in taking down Niko? The initial attack only occurs because Dimitri was selling Niko out to Bulgarin. Is he still trying to do that? Is he only antagonist by proxy? Is he mad because Niko got away? Is he afraid Niko will tell the Russians about how Dimitri double-crossed Faustin? Who the gently caress knows?

The Lost and the Damned has its faults, but the thing that puts it over the base game is that we always understand why Johnny does what he does. What's funny is that his story is not too dissimilar to Niko's. He does certain things to protect Ashley. He does certain things out of revenge. He does certain things for money. The thing is that when we see Johnny go to sleep on a dirty mattress, we really believe why he has to do filler missions for Elizibeta.

I think the other thing that Johny has that is missing from the other two protagonists in the GTA IV trilogy is some joy in what he does. The first Jim mission is done because it just seems like a fun ride. Of course he'll go steal some bikes, this is a GTA game about a biker.

Ballad of Gay Tony suffers from a lot of the same problems as the base game. Why does Luis help his friends? All they do is make fun of him, and he's operating a nightclub. He doesn't seem like he wants to be a drug kingpin. Everything centered around Tony is defined by some ambiguous financial issues. At least the missions are a little bit more clear in how they would solve those debts.

Where it lacks in story, it makes up in chaotic gameplay and just more side missions. My favorite part of the game is just operating the nightclub. GTA IV really really lives and dies on the core gameplay and the main storyline. I do think the core mechanics of GTA IV are fun, but if you find them underwhelming, the game really offers you nothing different after Three Leaf Clover. I also do enjoy the mini-arcs in the game with the different mission bosses, but if you dislike the McRearys then you're not going to enjoy the game.

Anyway,for me, the faults of the trilogy have nothing to do with realism or silliness.

• Locked thread