Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Ballad of the Ancients from FreeSpace 1. This tells you a lot about how intelligent the two games were and are probably even more enjoyable when looking back after playing FS2 a lot - it really gives you a sense of how hosed humanity probably is. Ancient galactic empire overreaches and gets genocided by the Shivans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVjk8bWG7E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PuEVj1-R5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSYwXhp-bVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N497VsMt-ss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr2REZis-x4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Androc posted:

People in this thread, as it turns out, aren't the only ones who would like a sequel. Although, really, that just makes the fact that it probably won't happen that much more depressing. Also, the OP really needs to include the intro movie, that thing still sends chills down my spine.

I really do feel that consoles are a perfect market for a new space sim. Obviously heavy on space, light on sim due to the lack of complex control apparatus but a gamepad is probably more suited to spaceflight than loving FPS, and that genre has flourished on consoles.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
gently caress yes this thread has perfect timing. I actually picked up a Logitech Extreme 3D pro last week just so I could go through these two games again, halfway through Freespace 1 using the graphics pack and it is glorious.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I like how Mass Effect has tried to give us these incredibly powerful, unknowable, seemingly unkillable mechanical monsters, and I can't dredge up any amount of fucks to give for them.

To this day, I'm still scared by the Shivans, thanks to Freespace 2's unceasing efforts to pound in how screwed you are. By the final mission, everything is so far gone to hell it makes for an incredible finale.

I do have to say, the intro to Freespace 2 is nowhere near as good at setting the tone as the intro to Freespace 1.

"OH GOD THEY'RE FOLLOWING ME! Mayday! This is Lt. Ash, Terran Patrol, Wing Gamma, Three-Niner reporting...taken heavy damage... requesting immediate fighter cover and rescue...*sobbing* COME IN, ANYONE!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ-xcgBL1mY

Goddamnit, I might need to reinstall this onto Windows 7 and hope it works.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ammanas posted:

I really do feel that consoles are a perfect market for a new space sim. Obviously heavy on space, light on sim due to the lack of complex control apparatus but a gamepad is probably more suited to spaceflight than loving FPS, and that genre has flourished on consoles.
Hell, as it stands now you can fit almost every control you need for FS2 on a 360 pad. The only important things that I can think of that you would need to drop is power management and some of the targeting controls.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
A -lot- of ships have some of their guns disabled in the FS2 campaign, especially Deimos class corvettes. If those things have all their poo poo on they can murder drat near everything :gonk:

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Pulled the trigger on this after (I think) owning it like 10 years ago. Was there a BS:G mod for it? Something about a Red Line?

Anyway, this updater is taking forever. :emo:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

fivegears4reverse posted:

Goddamnit, I might need to reinstall this onto Windows 7 and hope it works.

Oh, it definitely does. Even if your retail FS1 doesn't work, six bucks nets you both FS1 and 2: buy 2, install FS Open, download the original game, and then some.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

-Troika- posted:

A -lot- of ships have some of their guns disabled in the FS2 campaign, especially Deimos class corvettes. If those things have all their poo poo on they can murder drat near everything :gonk:

I have a modded mission somewhere where you can drive a Deimos with a BFRed stuck on the front. The laser charge-up dot takes up the whole screen.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

doctorfrog posted:

I haven't heard anything about either of those issues before, though a search of the GOG forums indicates that the latest NVidia drivers fixes the NVidia issue.

According to this thread: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/independence_war_series/new_nvidia_beta_drivers_with_possible_fix_for_iw2_rendering_problems/?search=nvidia

the same issues also affect "Gothic, Gothic II, Falcon 4.0: Allied Force, Links 2003, Independence War II - Edge of Chaos, and X2: Wolverine's Revenge."

Not to come off as an IWar2 apologist, but I've run into zero issues and would hate to have the game have a bad name from one disgruntled player. It's still awesome to me. (And this is my last IWar2 post, as I don't want to derail further.)

You know what? I'm going to give it another go. It came so close to being amazing for me, and I don't want to be that guy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

robotsinmyhead posted:

Pulled the trigger on this after (I think) owning it like 10 years ago. Was there a BS:G mod for it? Something about a Red Line?

Beyond the Red Line, yeah. I don't remember if they ever did anything besides the 'Scar' demo, though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Beyond the Red Line, yeah. I don't remember if they ever did anything besides the 'Scar' demo, though.

As far as I'm aware, they imploded in a dramastorm a few months after that. The new BSG mod is Diaspora and, in my opinion, it seems much better than Beyond the Red Line.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

robotsinmyhead posted:

Yeah it took me like two hours but it's totally worth it.

Also yeah a few of the mods let you fly the big rear end ships, I seem to remember a sathanas mod that you pretty much just one shot everything with the triple front beam cannons.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

It was a throwback to WC2/TIE Fighter I guess. It took one mission to blow up the fighter cover and then you went out in bombers and blew it to hell.

I didn't make a lot of sense as previous WC had no problems with you swatting capital ships down in one mission. Man the Longbow in WC3 was great.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Insert name here posted:

Hell, as it stands now you can fit almost every control you need for FS2 on a 360 pad. The only important things that I can think of that you would need to drop is power management and some of the targeting controls.

"need" by what definition, because I certainly use most of the ~80 command keys it has. I admit, I'm probably not in the majority on that one.

-Troika- posted:

Yeah there are a LOT of missions where weapons are either disabled, stupid, switched to a weaker version, all kinds of things. And then there's the mission where you have to take out a Sobek corvette, which has beams that ignore your shields :mad:

oops!

It's pretty cool how the game is so flexible on that kind of thing, though - the FS2 campaign is littered with small details that show the amount of effort that went into crafting it. And it shows, because it's awesome.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 15, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

fivegears4reverse posted:

I like how Mass Effect has tried to give us these incredibly powerful, unknowable, seemingly unkillable mechanical monsters, and I can't dredge up any amount of fucks to give for them.

To this day, I'm still scared by the Shivans, thanks to Freespace 2's unceasing efforts to pound in how screwed you are. By the final mission, everything is so far gone to hell it makes for an incredible finale.

The writers for Mass Effect completely failed at making the antagonist legitimately enigmatic. FS2 is one of the only games where there's an alien race that has truly inscrutable motives and seems actually mysterious.

I went on a big FS2 kick over my winter break, and the problem I found with the custom campaigns is that any amount of dialogue whatsoever is really hard to handle without voice acting (even lovely voice acting helps). The best mods pace it so that you get a text dump while there's nothing going on, but that really limits what you can do with storytelling.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

I didn't make a lot of sense as previous WC had no problems with you swatting capital ships down in one mission. Man the Longbow in WC3 was great.

I know, which made it seem even dumber when in later missions (both in WC2 and TIE Fighter) you're sent in alone to blow up entire fleets.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Nthing the recommendation for Derelict. Although it's mostly good for following a new story, it doesn't really take the gameplay anywhere. Imagine Clash of The Titans II from FS2 (the second to last mission), that's basically Derelict. You can't really go anywhere with the difficulty from there.

Has anyone tried The Blue Planet campaigns, Age of Aquarius and War in Heaven? They seem as equally well-made as Derelict, set 18 years after FS2 and detailing the GTVAs attempt to re-establish contact with earth. Or something.

Here's the into for Age of Aquarius:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seORm2SR5oc

Oh, and here's a list of user-made campaigns :words::
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/User-made_Campaigns

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The first Blue Planet campaign is really good, even though I don't like the direction the story takes. It's fully voice acted and the actors aren't too grating.

The second one I haven't played through because it's text-heavy and doesn't have VO yet (which they're working on).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Do the MediaVPs include the super high poly-count models of the ships now? I remember downloading a 50,000-poly Fenris model that took my FPS down to 10 every time it was on screen.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Psion posted:

"need" by what definition, because I certainly use most of the ~80 command keys it has. I admit, I'm probably not in the majority on that one.

Yeah there are a LOT of missions where weapons are either disabled, stupid, switched to a weaker version, all kinds of things. And then there's the mission where you have to take out a Sobek corvette, which has beams that ignore your shields :mad:

oops!

It's pretty cool how the game is so flexible on that kind of thing, though - the FS2 campaign is littered with small details that show the amount of effort that went into crafting it. And it shows, because it's awesome.

Uh all beams ignore your shields.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

-Troika- posted:

I don't think this is necessarily true. The scripting for beam weapons has factors for determining the proportion of damage to shields, hull, and subsystems.

Although I haven't played in a little while, I think the case in FS2 isn't that beams ignore your shields, it's that they kill your shield immediately.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 15, 2011

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

-Troika- posted:

No, it's a flag you can set in FRED2 and most enemy capital ships don't have it set. There's one mission which is a notable exception.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Hoo boy, choosing to install the whole package of this graphics mod was not the best idea. Hopefully this game looks badass when its done.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Dumb question, but I really like playing with Mouse+Keyboard, but I can't figure out how to lock Roll controls so I can flatten out my ship.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Megafunk posted:

Hoo boy, choosing to install the whole package of this graphics mod was not the best idea. Hopefully this game looks badass when its done.

It's totally worth it.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

I just got finished installing the game, having never played it before (well, my dad owned it and I dicked with it for a few minutes, but I was just a kid the time). I know a few people in here use the Xbox 360 wired controller to play the game, and that's what I'm interested in doing. It defaults to a few controls, but it picks some wonky assignments (like that there's no throttle controls, just afterburner) for stuff. Does anyone have any recommendations for which button should go to where?

There's so many controls that it's hard to figure out which ones are important enough to assign. Afterburner and guns are obvious picks, but do I need Increase Throttle if I already have Max Throttle assigned? Should I have one over the other? Should I have Match Speed assigned? Is it better to have Target Nearest Hostile or Target Ship in Crosshairs? If anyone could help me out, that would be awesome!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Megafunk posted:

If you're downloading "the works," you're probably more than doubling the amount of stuff you have to download if you just want the base Freespace 2 campaign with all the improvements. The downloader also includes the entire Freespace 1 campaign, plus movies and expansion pack, and around a dozen fan-made campaigns that you probably won't/shouldn't get to until after you finish Freespace 2. "The minimum, plus shiny," is what you may really want.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Androc posted:

People in this thread, as it turns out, aren't the only ones who would like a sequel. Although, really, that just makes the fact that it probably won't happen that much more depressing. Also, the OP really needs to include the intro movie, that thing still sends chills down my spine.

Oh god, this is so true.

Interplay must be one of the biggest clusterfucks ever in the gaming world. Not only did they get bankrupt, they did this owning the IP for Fallout and Freespace, effectively ceasing development on those games for over a decade. Of course, this may have been some lucrative planning, because apparently Interplay's back in business using the money they earned selling the IP for Fallout.

Anyways, I'm keeping my hope up. Volition Inc. isn't dead and are actually doing tremendously well so who knows.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Doomsayer posted:

There's so many controls that it's hard to figure out which ones are important enough to assign. Afterburner and guns are obvious picks, but do I need Increase Throttle if I already have Max Throttle assigned? Should I have one over the other? Should I have Match Speed assigned? Is it better to have Target Nearest Hostile or Target Ship in Crosshairs? If anyone could help me out, that would be awesome!

I used to use a DualShock 2, so I bet the principle is largely the same.
I remember using:
  • left stick for main movement
  • right stick forward and back for relative throttle (so that pushing it forward would increase speed)
  • right stick left and right for rotating around the "forwards axis" (I almost never used this).
  • A face button (triangle?) for "target thing in reticle".
  • Start and select for toggling auto-speed and auto-targeting. (Although early on I left this to be a keyboard thing, I think.)
  • A shoulder button for afterburners.
  • A shoulder button for counter measures.
  • Left and right D-pad buttons for switching primary and secondary weapons.
  • Up and down D-pad for diverting shield power forwards/backwards?
  • Two face buttons for firing primary and secondary weapons?
  • I don't remember what the other face button and other two shoulder buttons were for.

I definitely used keyboard a lot (communicating with squadmates, targeting subsystems maybe, etc.) in conjunction with it though.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Prophecy wasn't a bad game so much that it paled in comparison to Wing Commander 4 and was a huge step backwards for the series in terms of the dynamic campaign and production values, but I don't know where you would have gone after WC4 anyway. The FMV genre was dead (thank god) and the WC storyline was pretty much wrapped up.

Plus there was no Hobbes. gently caress that.

Also XWA owns gently caress this gently caress you :mad:
Agreed, though the 3D engine that Prophecy used felt pretty good and the sound effects were quite good too.

XWA was indeed awesome from the very start. Maybe he meant XvT because that was truly an abomination of a space sim.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I suppose I should drop by. I love these games and I have since childhood, hence my username.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So here's something that looks kind of hilariously awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HpaWcDX0f4&feature=related

Almost like the opening cinematic except more *farts in 3 cruisers*.

Still kind of amazing thought, I'll probably play it :v:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

I think this is exactly what everyone always wanted to do the moment they fired up FRED2 for the first time.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

That video was just a gigantic blast into the face of ominous laser charging rape sounds.

What I remember most about the opening cinematic was
1. orion with gigantic beam hole in it
2. medusas getting killed and herc pilot being chased by manticores
3. herc pilot down on the planet dead with a crashed GTD hades in the background

Although I do remember awesomeness of the first time figuring out how to put 5 BFred onto a cruiser.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

Haha it crashed my flash plugin

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MeruFM posted:

That video was just a gigantic blast into the face of ominous laser charging rape sounds.

What I remember most about the opening cinematic was
1. orion with gigantic beam hole in it
2. medusas getting killed and herc pilot being chased by manticores
3. herc pilot down on the planet dead with a crashed GTD hades in the background

Although I do remember awesomeness of the first time figuring out how to put 5 BFred onto a cruiser.

Freespace 2 was a great game when it came to showing you just how screwed you were, but still managed to keep a sliver of hope enough to not make you wanna slip your wrists between missions.

It helped of course that the scarier missions actually were a blast to explore and fight through. Reminds me though that I have to find that one extremely awesome campaign someone posted a while back (might be a part of the original download pack).

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Daaaamn, I remember trying this game years ago when I was a middle school squirt and had my first computer. And I'm such a youngun that was when it was considered abandonware!

I never really got into the game though, I got through a few missions but it had a lot of problems with skipping over dialog and I was frequently confused about what I should be doing.

But gently caress it, I /know/ the shooty bits were exactly what I've wanted in every space-based video game ever, I need to suck it up and learn since I've got a sicknasty joystick anyway.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What joysticks do you guys use? I still keep my ancient Force Feedback 2 around for pretty much this (also Descent 3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

-Troika- posted:

What joysticks do you guys use? I still keep my ancient Force Feedback 2 around for pretty much this (also Descent 3).

I still have my incredibly old... Logitech Wingman Warrior, I believe it's called. It doesn't work so well (it no longer springs back into position if you hold it forward or backwards) but I can't really think of replacing it since I barely ever use a joystick anymore. I only ever really use it when I get the urge to reinstall Freespace 2, like this thread is doing.

• Locked thread