Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
aha! wxLauncher works with an earlier build, thanks for the help guys.

might play the original campaigns before aftermath though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

by.a.teammate posted:

aha! wxLauncher works with an earlier build, thanks for the help guys.

might play the original campaigns before aftermath though...

I do not think it would be a good idea to launch into Aftermath, no.

Play FS1's campaign in FS2 if you want, but it's really nothing special and hasn't aged nearly as well as FS2. I played FS2 first and it's easy enough to follow. From there, you've got dozens of custom campaigns. Some of them are old classics - Derelict, Homesick, Transcend - and some of them, like the Blue Planet series, are almost full release games in their own right. Not even touching the total conversions, either.

Enjoy!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

If you like references, he's got references.

This man is not a liar. Aftermath is kind of incredible. There's Star Trek references, Tron references, Star Wars references. Some of them are just ship names, others are weirdly inexplicable (did beams need to be changed to phaser sounds, did Terran turrets need to be turned into turbolasers?)

I've just started it. I'm about six missions in. This thing is like if Tommy Wisseau wanted to make a Freespace 2 campaign instead of The Room. You can feel the effort and the earnest love for Freespace (and a lot of other sci-fi properties, but mostly Star Trek)... and yet it's impossible to describe with mere words. It's not to say there's no talent in it - a lot of the backgrounds are quite nice, even if the author loves having at least one planet in every mission, and so are the command briefing animations - but... it's just a grab bag of ships and ideas, all shoved into a blender and pureed into a weird mass where you have no idea what you're going to get. Like, it includes both the Erebus and the Raynor.

There are actually some cool mission ideas in it, though. It reminds me of X-Wing Alliance in parts.

At the same time, it is a campaign where you join the "GTVA Police", kill the Shivan Emperor to put an end to the "Shivan Consortium" and engage in absurdly ridiculous Battle of Endors that Admiral Ackbar could only dream of, or have terrifying nightmares about.

It's also an incredibly colorful campaign, about as far from Freespace 2's dark and grim aesthetic as you can get. From briefings to ship textures, everything is colorful.

Like, I never know whether to rag on it or admire it. Don't get me wrong, the writing is absolutely terrible and the concepts aren't amazing and a lot of it is cribbed from other sources and the mission design is a bit bland and the balance isn't there at all, but at the same time... it really is something that makes me want to just sit there and say this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, I got inspired to try out FS2 for the first time and got everything installed with FSO. I seem to be all good but when I load up the first training mission there isn't any HUD. I googled and saw that Shift-O should toggle it, but there's nothing. Everything looks gorgeous, though.

Where would I begin to root this out? Everything is fairly standard in my launcher, I have tried it with the fs2_open_3_7_4.exe as well as the AVX. No difference in the HUD. I wasn't sure which one of the four choices I should pick from regardless. I'm using MediaVPs 3.6.12.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

edit: I may have fixed it, I picked the mediaVPS 2014 instead of 3612 like the OP says and it's there now!

edit2: So, now I'm ready to dive in fully. I don't have a joystick, but looking to pick up the budget Logitech 3d. In the interim, is there a way to remap the 360 controller as it seems the default options are less than ideal. Really would like to get some sort of speed control on it, as the right thumbstick is virtually useless (L/R does nothing) that may be an option. Hard to picture dogfighting effectively right now with the controller as it stands. The Trigger buttons don't work at all.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 26, 2017

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Unfortunately FSO doesn't yet handle controllers super well.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Milky Moor posted:

I do not think it would be a good idea to launch into Aftermath, no.

Play FS1's campaign in FS2 if you want, but it's really nothing special and hasn't aged nearly as well as FS2. I played FS2 first and it's easy enough to follow. From there, you've got dozens of custom campaigns. Some of them are old classics - Derelict, Homesick, Transcend - and some of them, like the Blue Planet series, are almost full release games in their own right. Not even touching the total conversions, either.

Enjoy!
How faithful are the missions in the FS1 campaign in FS2? Like are they just direct translations or did they take liberties with them? I remember playing through it a long time ago and wanted to go through it again possibly. Also it's been a good while since I last messed with FS2, I just install the game, download FSO installer and go right? I pretty much have to reinstall the game from scratch.

Oh, and I recall someone made a standalone mod that changed the lead indicator into a trailing pipper, anyone got a link to that?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

They're direct ports with bug fixes and prettier graphics. They haven't aged as well as FS2, especially Silent Threat which still sucks.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
They are direct ports, FS2 used the same engine as FS1, more or less.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Asking here because the Hardlight forums appear to be down:

wxLauncher is giving me an "Unhandled error in setting HKLM key in registry! Access is denied." message whenever I try to start the game from it, regardless of active executable or mod.

The only thing of consequence I've done since I last played is install the W10 Creators Update, so I'm guessing it might be related to that somehow? The game starts just fine if I load the fs2_open exe directly from the root folder.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Try launching it in administrator mode. I noticed the new Win 10 update does some weird stuff with security.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Tried that, still no luck. Also gave uninstalling and reinstalling the launcher a shot, but to no avail.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I don't have any specific knowledge about the error; but based on the fact that it's looking for a registry key that no longer exists, I'd guess that reinstalling might solve the issue, since registry keys are generally created at install.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Managed to find a cached page detailing the problem in question and got it fixed via a registry edit. Weird stuff.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Haven't played this in forever. Managed to get FSport running in full ultra wide at 120 fps with all graphics bells and whistles. Playing on my saitek x 52 as well. I fully expected this game to be old, slow, and janky. But drat does this game still hold up! Can't wait to burn thru the classic campaigns and try some of the newer stuff like Blue Planet.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Would love to see Volition get another crack at Freespace, but I don't know how many people from the FS2 era still work there.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

aniviron posted:

Would love to see Volition get another crack at Freespace, but I don't know how many people from the FS2 era still work there.

I'd like to see an updated re-release of iwar-2 honestly; while we're wishing :)

Edit: holy poo poo, speaking of which: I-war2 works near flawlessly out of the box with an xbox controller!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 11, 2017

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

aniviron posted:

The people who make Overload (Descent in all but name) have strongly hinted that remaking FreeSpace might be next in the pipeline.

quote:

Q. What about FreeSpace?

A. Interesting that you asked – we’ve been asking ourselves the same question. Good game, FreeSpace. It sure would be nice to see an awesome spiritual successor to FreeSpace.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I'd like to see an updated re-release of iwar-2 honestly; while we're wishing :)

Edit: holy poo poo, speaking of which: I-war2 works near flawlessly out of the box with an xbox controller!

considering how the controls were redesigned for dreamcast (although I think I might be confusing this with Starlancer) it better.

makes me want to try it out though

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If it's Jason Scott on story I'm there.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

The people who make Overload (Descent in all but name) have strongly hinted that remaking FreeSpace might be next in the pipeline.
I'm not sure I'm in favour of the 'spiritual successor to FreeSpace', because, like General Battuta, I want an actual continuation and finishing of the story as much as I want the mechanics of FreeSpace.

On the other hand though, let's not pretend for a moment that I won't buy any FreeSpace-like game when it's finished and play the poo poo out of it, because that's definitely something that'll happen.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Where's blue planet 3 anyway

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone got a rundown of the best mods/mission packs/total conversions/whatever that have decent voice acting? I see the Blue Planet release heavily pimped in the OP so I will be checking that out as well.

I played through a few without voice acting back in the day and they were enjoyable, but it is kind of a pain to try and read text dialogue up top while poo poo hits the fan.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Good voice acting? It's basically Diaspora and Blue Planet for that. Derelict has voice acting, I wouldn't call it good but it's passable and not too distracting.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Captain Beans posted:

Anyone got a rundown of the best mods/mission packs/total conversions/whatever that have decent voice acting? I see the Blue Planet release heavily pimped in the OP so I will be checking that out as well.

I played through a few without voice acting back in the day and they were enjoyable, but it is kind of a pain to try and read text dialogue up top while poo poo hits the fan.
the anime ones sometimes speak to you in animese

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

D. Ebdrup posted:

I'm not sure I'm in favour of the 'spiritual successor to FreeSpace', because, like General Battuta, I want an actual continuation and finishing of the story as much as I want the mechanics of FreeSpace.

On the other hand though, let's not pretend for a moment that I won't buy any FreeSpace-like game when it's finished and play the poo poo out of it, because that's definitely something that'll happen.

I'm in a weird place about a FreeSpace 3, because with almost every story featuring a "great and mysterious" villain I find that the entire magic of the universe is lost as that mystery is slowly unraveled to the player. FreeSpace 2 took the mystery of the shivans and kept playing with us as we went along. Rather than peeling back the layers, they added more and more every time humanity achieved any kind of victory or mastery over them. It's that craving for knowledge "what makes these things tick?" "what are the limits of their technology?" "what are their motives for mass destruction?" "where do they come from?" that has me still in awe of the setting so many years later.

I think back to how it felt when the reapers were first revealed in Mass Effect 1, followed by the progression of even weirder revelations in Mass Effect 2, followed by the dumbest of the dumb "big dumb endings" in Mass Effect 3 that writers almost always resort to in order to wrap up big ideas and big stories. Would love to be proven wrong in a well done FreeSpace 3 of some kind, but I'm honestly at a loss trying to think of an example game/movie/story where a great and mysterious villain's arc was actually concluded in a way that provided satisfying answers while still preserving the magic of the setting. I sometimes wonder if the two are inevitably mutually exclusive.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's self-aggrandizing but I honestly believe Blue Planet 2 managed to reveal a lot more about the Shivans while still enhancing their menace and scope.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

On that note Blindsight had an excellent reveal on its mystery aliens

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

General Battuta posted:

On that note Blindsight had an excellent reveal on its mystery aliens

On that note, I learned of Blindsight by sourcing your avtext. Thank you!

(Blindsight is really good, everybody!)

As far as the mystery of the Shivans, I think I'm at peace assuming they're some offshoot of Zinyak's forces that are acting without direction.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

It's self-aggrandizing but I honestly believe Blue Planet 2 managed to reveal a lot more about the Shivans while still enhancing their menace and scope.

BP2's handling of the Shivans is extremely good, though. Laporte's Universal Truth mission is really something.

Siets posted:

I'm in a weird place about a FreeSpace 3, because with almost every story featuring a "great and mysterious" villain I find that the entire magic of the universe is lost as that mystery is slowly unraveled to the player. FreeSpace 2 took the mystery of the shivans and kept playing with us as we went along. Rather than peeling back the layers, they added more and more every time humanity achieved any kind of victory or mastery over them. It's that craving for knowledge "what makes these things tick?" "what are the limits of their technology?" "what are their motives for mass destruction?" "where do they come from?" that has me still in awe of the setting so many years later.

I think back to how it felt when the reapers were first revealed in Mass Effect 1, followed by the progression of even weirder revelations in Mass Effect 2, followed by the dumbest of the dumb "big dumb endings" in Mass Effect 3 that writers almost always resort to in order to wrap up big ideas and big stories. Would love to be proven wrong in a well done FreeSpace 3 of some kind, but I'm honestly at a loss trying to think of an example game/movie/story where a great and mysterious villain's arc was actually concluded in a way that provided satisfying answers while still preserving the magic of the setting. I sometimes wonder if the two are inevitably mutually exclusive.

I think Volition once did an interview where they provided some rough ideas for Freespace 3 and the Shivans and, while not nearly as bad as the Reapers, I'm not sure a FS3 would do anything but tarnish FS2.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I should really check out Blue Planet...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fuzz posted:

I should really check out Blue Planet...
Same...

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It's actually hard to imagine a well-voice-acted version of Laporte's Universal Truth. I understand that voicework for WiH is slowly finishing but if they've gotten that far... that's something of a challenge for whoever cast that character.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

If you do go for BP remember it was made over many years! Don't be put off by the lovably earnest Samuel Bei and his cosmic adventures :sun:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

TheDemon posted:

It's actually hard to imagine a well-voice-acted version of Laporte's Universal Truth. I understand that voicework for WiH is slowly finishing but if they've gotten that far... that's something of a challenge for whoever cast that character.

Well we VAd everything up to Sunglare. Even with the time to push further I couldn't afford to bring back the cast for Act 3 right now :(

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

There any high quality Freespace 2 cockpit mods? I'd love for something with the quality of Diaspora's but iirc the way you have to do cockpits in FS2 is pretty bad?

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Bolow posted:

There any high quality Freespace 2 cockpit mods? I'd love for something with the quality of Diaspora's but iirc the way you have to do cockpits in FS2 is pretty bad?

I played through FS2 and FSPort with this:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84459.0

it's not as nice as the Diaspora cockpit, but it was good enough to play comfortably with TrackIR. I do recall having to tweak some scripts to fix the position of a few HUD elements in FSPort

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

General Battuta posted:

Having just finished Tenebra, I need to second this. You folks did an incredible job of handling the Shivans, among much else. I refused to play Blue Planet for years and years, thinking it would be a lackluster fan-project with a lot of heart and not much execution, over-hyped by people desperate for Freespace content - holy poo poo was I ever wrong. Hats off to you and your team.

People, if you have not played Blue Planet yet: do it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Kestral posted:

Having just finished Tenebra, I need to second this. You folks did an incredible job of handling the Shivans, among much else. I refused to play Blue Planet for years and years, thinking it would be a lackluster fan-project with a lot of heart and not much execution, over-hyped by people desperate for Freespace content - holy poo poo was I ever wrong. Hats off to you and your team.

People, if you have not played Blue Planet yet: do it.

Out of curiosity, how'd you find AoA going into WiH and then Tenebra? AFAIK, there's been some changes made to AoA make it flow a bit better with the later parts, and to make some narrative elements more obvious.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Milky Moor posted:

Out of curiosity, how'd you find AoA going into WiH and then Tenebra? AFAIK, there's been some changes made to AoA make it flow a bit better with the later parts, and to make some narrative elements more obvious.

I played all of Freespace 1, 2, AoA, WiH, and Tenebra back to back, albeit slowly since I don't have a ton of time to spare. I thought it worked quite well. AoA is certainly the weak link, narratively, what with the seemingly unambiguously nice and helpful Not-Vorlons, which flies in the face of Freespace's themes of a cold and uncaring universe haunted by powers beyond human understanding. But the shock of the transition into WiH made up for it, and Noemi Laporte was such a well-drawn character that it more than made up for my initial annoyance at having a personality attached to the pilot, when being nameless and faceless and small was such a huge part of what made FS1/2 effective. By the end of Tenebra the thematic issues had been sufficiently revisited and reexamined, and I was retroactively sold on it all.

Now you've gotten me curious about this AoA changes. Anything particularly notable that got altered?

And General Battuta, Blindsight is an amazing book, and if that's where you're drawing inspiration for the aliens in Blue Planet, you are doing god's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Kestral posted:

Now you've gotten me curious about this AoA changes. Anything particularly notable that got altered?

Battuta can probably explain better than me, being part of the team and all (all I did was voice the Ranvir's doomed captain), but here's what I think was added to AoA.

A few more hints that Sam is being manipulated by the Vishnans, and maybe had been his entire life. Some things you can scan in some of the missions that hint at things Noemi is told in WiH. In one of the missions with the Lucifer, Sam comments on it trying to communicate with him and displays unsettling image flashes like in Noemi's Universal Truth. I think some things like MORPHEUS are also namedropped.

Up until Tenebra, I was also on the not-so-hot-on-the-Vishnans train.

• Locked thread