Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
...of ginormous goofy lug-ness. Giant breed owners, represent!

This is Ozzie, and he's awesome. He's 16 months old now...

He started out like this.

And his cuteness was ferocious.

Big sister Sage was less than impressed.

He went to work with me, and claimed the couch.

He chilled in the truck.

He still chills in the truck. Just not as comfortably.

Christmas was fun.

But it made him tired, so naps were needed.

Anybody else wanna show the world how awesome your giant buddies are?

edit: why does it say "poo poo post"? I clicked on "Dogs". Sorry bout that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
So how often do people ask you if he's a Dalmation? :downs:

Sorry, I don't have a giant dog, just a large one. :ohdear: But I look forward to seeing giant doggy pics. :allears: I'm sure Fluffy Bunnies will be in here shortly.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Oh man oh man that is really cute puppy face. :3: That spotty nose is too much.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Skizzles posted:

So how often do people ask you if he's a Dalmation? :downs:

Sorry, I don't have a giant dog, just a large one. :ohdear: But I look forward to seeing giant doggy pics. :allears: I'm sure Fluffy Bunnies will be in here shortly.

Constantly. I have even had some BYB of dalmatians ask if they could breed to him :doh:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Wow what a gorgeous dog. I wish I could own a large dog. They're awesome :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Skizzles posted:

I'm sure Fluffy Bunnies will be in here shortly.

I know, I'm horrible, aren't I? I need to get Writer Cath in here too. She's got a giant doof dane girl too that randomly likes to appear in wrestling threads. OP's dog is fuckin' adorable. Both of them. Holy crap, ferocious puppy you are so fierce :3:

Anyway, most of PI knows my danes. Amy is 3, Balen will be 6 at the end of May.

Amy really likes to hang out under my altar. A lot. See all those toys? All her fault. :colbert:

Balen recently made a really good buddy with a tiny, tiny puppy while he was at the vet. :3: And it was adorable. If the weather is nice next weekend, he and I are going off base locally to visit a favorite pet store. I'll take my camera. I never have enough Balen pictures.

A really lousy picture of a phone picture of Amy and Cabo, her best buddy mastiff just before he left the island.

Oh, and a rarity. Here. Have a video of Amy proving she literally has springs in her rear end. Her and Cabo's last play session together (it's a little choppy, forgive me, there was much water breaks and pissing and stuff and that's boring) before he left the island. I really do hope we'll see him again some time. He's a wonderful, wonderful mastiff. His owner is the reason that it's going to be easier for me to get the dogs out of here. I owe her. :)

http://www.viddler.com/explore/safluffybunnies/videos/6/

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 29, 2011

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
:neckbeard: Balen pictures are what keep me searching through PI. I love the BatDane pic!

I'll get some pics of old lady Sage from yesteryear up on here when I get home this evening. She's around 8 1/2 years old, and currently recovering from a case of the lardbutt. I came to realize that the construction guys working on my house last fall were feeding her pizza everyday, and she became a giant gooshy tub of a Dane. She's been on a good diet since then, tho and is getting her girlish figure back now.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
I know at least one PI person owns a leonberger. Hopefully they'll be in here with pictures.

I looooooove newfoundlands and dream of one day owning one. Unfortunately, NYC apartments aren't exactly space friendly for big dogs. So if anyone has one they should post pictures!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

We met a guy with a Great Pyrenees yesterday in our neighborhood. That fuckin dag was HUGE. Freakish huge. Here's a picture to kind of give an idea:

The upper red line is where the dog's back would reach if I was that woman, I'm 5'6". The lower blue line is where my 7-month German shepherd pups' backs reached. HUGE FUCKIN DOG. He is 4 years, and the guy said that last year he weighed 150 lbs! I patted his head and it felt all lumpy and deformed :(

Edit VVVV I'm glad their heads are lumpy phew!

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 29, 2011

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
That's a beautiful Pyrenees. I had one until about 2 years ago. His name was Monkey, and he was also awesome. I'll dig up some pics later. Big ball of fluffy adorableness. I had to let him go, because he finally realized that fences are only a technicality to him, and he kept heading down the road to Bob Evan's. I was afraid he'd get hit, so he went to live with a friends family on a farm a little further out in the country.

They have big lumpy noggins. They're kind've odd dogs, very independant, very intelligent. Lots of personality, and even more light, fluffy, floats-on-every-waft-of-air-and-sticks-to-anything-black-or-fuzzy fur. Their outer coat is unbelievably thick.

Edited for some pics of Monkey I found. He's about 10 months in the older pic.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 29, 2011

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

adventure in the sandbox posted:

We met a guy with a Great Pyrenees yesterday in our neighborhood. That fuckin dag was HUGE. Freakish huge. Here's a picture to kind of give an idea:

The upper red line is where the dog's back would reach if I was that woman, I'm 5'6". The lower blue line is where my 7-month German shepherd pups' backs reached. HUGE FUCKIN DOG. He is 4 years, and the guy said that last year he weighed 150 lbs! I patted his head and it felt all lumpy and deformed :(

Chief was around 110 at his first birthday. :3:

Pyrenees are awesome, but I can't imagine dealing with one inside a house :gonk:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Ahh! Goat buddies! :3: That's where Monkey came from; my uncle had Boer goats and kept Pyrenees with 'em to keep the coyotes away. He absolutely loved to go visit the goats. Odd that even strange goats won't pay a big white fluffy dog any mind, but will go on immediate guard if they saw my Great Dane in the truck.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Eeee so fuzzy! And so clean. The guy I saw yesterday was pretty dingy. I suppose you would need to let a Pyr spend a ton of time outside, and maybe the dog made himself a scrape to cool off. The poor guy was dirty and I don't think it was from hanging out with goats or sheep.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

:neckbeard: Balen pictures are what keep me searching through PI. I love the BatDane pic!

I'll get some pics of old lady Sage from yesteryear up on here when I get home this evening. She's around 8 1/2 years old, and currently recovering from a case of the lardbutt. I came to realize that the construction guys working on my house last fall were feeding her pizza everyday, and she became a giant gooshy tub of a Dane. She's been on a good diet since then, tho and is getting her girlish figure back now.

:3: Aww, batdane will probably always be one of my favorites. I posted that video, but I totally wanna see more of Sage. I've never seen her before. And the gently caress are you talking about? Pizza is a perfect diet for a great dane if you ask my dorks. Actually it's like 2 am they'd probably try to get me to order one right now. They can polish a whole pizza off in less than 45 seconds. One hit the floor once. It was like sharks.

I am basically a giant blob for pyrs but I am so, so glad my parents didn't get one when I wanted one as a kid.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I have trouble remembering the names of all the big breeds. Which one exactly is Ozzie?

My aunt has a thing for dogs like my other aunt has a thing for horses, and aunt #2 has a horse rescue service, so aunt #1 has about 14 dogs at any one time. She's had some in the past who could rival ponies, but the biggest were her Newfoundland Clue and the great dane looking animal (I don't know if he was officially a dane, a mutt, or some relation of the breed) named suitably enough Bigfoot. Clue is no long with her, having found a good home elsewhere, and Bigfoot had to be put down because he was a bit of a sociopath and carried away a ten year old girl in his jaws.

I've always wanted my own big dog. I was one of the few people that Bigfoot liked and I liked him back, and at five 10 at the time he came up to my chest. When I get a place with more room I have every intention of getting a huge galoot.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lotish posted:

So I have trouble remembering the names of all the big breeds. Which one exactly is Ozzie?

My aunt has a thing for dogs like my other aunt has a thing for horses, and aunt #2 has a horse rescue service, so aunt #1 has about 14 dogs at any one time. She's had some in the past who could rival ponies, but the biggest were her Newfoundland Clue and the great dane looking animal (I don't know if he was officially a dane, a mutt, or some relation of the breed) named suitably enough Bigfoot. Clue is no long with her, having found a good home elsewhere, and Bigfoot had to be put down because he was a bit of a sociopath and carried away a ten year old girl in his jaws.

I've always wanted my own big dog. I was one of the few people that Bigfoot liked and I liked him back, and at five 10 at the time he came up to my chest. When I get a place with more room I have every intention of getting a huge galoot.

Ozzie looks like a harlequin great dane to me, though he's undesireable as a breeder/show dog because of the grey patches (unless that's camera flash) for the states, anyway. I'm pretty sure the UK/europe would be fine with that. The same goes with that big pink nose. Those light eyes would be bitched about too. Any one of those things could get him anything from a huge mark off in points to a full disqualification because judges are dicks when it comes to dane coloring.

But he's really pretty and looks so drat happy. Who cares about what they bitch about in the breed if you aren't breeding? He's a healthy, happy big lug of a dane, looks to be well sized for his age with good proportions and a very nice head. His facial expressions are still puppy silly, too. :3:

E: I'm editting this to include, danes getting vicious is a really, really rare thing. the fact that Bigfoot hurt somebody is just.. I mean, there's so few instances of great danes using their mouths to hurt anything it's incredible.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 29, 2011

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ozzie looks like a harlequin great dane to me, though he's undesireable as a breeder/show dog because of the grey patches (unless that's camera flash) for the states, anyway. I'm pretty sure the UK/europe would be fine with that. The same goes with that big pink nose. Those light eyes would be bitched about too. Any one of those things could get him anything from a huge mark off in points to a full disqualification because judges are dicks when it comes to dane coloring.

But he's really pretty and looks so drat happy. Who cares about what they bitch about in the breed if you aren't breeding? He's a healthy, happy big lug of a dane, looks to be well sized for his age with good proportions and a very nice head. His facial expressions are still puppy silly, too. :3:

QFT He's got some gray patches, and a little salt-and-pepper hairs on his hindquarters. And he's got the saddest puppy eyes that may have ever been outside of basset hound land :3:

He's a Harley, and by being non-showy, he's the EconoDane! My older dane came from a local sorta-rescue (a lady the vets and shelters call if they get a Dane in), and the momma was almost due when they found her.

He's looked good on all his vet checkups, and he's not had any joint problems other than a week of ankle pain when he hit his first big growth spurt. A lady I know used to work as a large dog midwife in Texas, and she always checks him over for me when she's around. He's a healthy boy. He's going to be good sized, but not hip-splosionly big. I'm gonna get his hips certified when he's a little older just to make sure.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: I'm editting this to include, danes getting vicious is a really, really rare thing. the fact that Bigfoot hurt somebody is just.. I mean, there's so few instances of great danes using their mouths to hurt anything it's incredible.

I know this to be fact, and it's part of why Danes are my #1 favorite breed and have been since I was 5 and I WILL own one some day, but it's also why I died inside when I met a harlequin dane several years ago when I was teching that truly wanted to eat my head off. He was SO beautiful, and actually looked like he came from decent lines. He was unneutered and had a ton of weird dominance issues and "this is MY territory" type behavior, and his owner was clueless and just giggled at him. We had to muzzle and sedate him just to do vaccines and an exam. I went home that night feeling extremely depressed at having had my very first encounter with a not nice dane, and also wondering what he might have been through in his life to cause him to act so off :(

I'm sad now! I need more doofy dane pics!

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Quick! Look at the puppy!

He liked his ducky.

Here he was hiding from Sage.

D'oh! Didn't work...

Bathtime was not appreciated at first, but he's totally cool with them now.

Dammit, who keeps shrinking the chairs! Amazing what 5 months growth will do.

Worn out from chasing kids on dirt bikes around the yard.

Caught one! Nom nom nom. Children are delicious.

This was from back in December. Sage has a devil mask on the back of her head.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

yawnie posted:

I'm sad now! I need more doofy dane pics!

Is another video acceptable? That's from about a year back at the same ball park as the other video:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/safluffybunnies/videos/7/

And the danes have that EXACT DUCK. They eat them. Pieces go loving everywhere. They love those drat things.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I'm just now understanding Scooby Doo's resemblance to a great dane, thanks to the last picture 2 posts above.

(Still working on Snoopy/beagle)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Danes are on my fantasy list of dogs to own someday. I've never met one I didn't get along with. Their short lifespans bother me, but their awesomeness makes up for it.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
:razz: Yeah, whoever came up with Scooby Doo really did have Danes. They act just like him, and as god is my witness, they do their best to talk. Mine are very vocal, but not terrible barkers. More warbles and whuffs and wookie noises. Sage keeps a running commentary on everything that happens to her. There is never any question as to her opinion at a given time. Also, they can eat literally anything smaller than themselves, and do it faster than you could possibly believe. Oh, and they act like they're stoned a lot.:350:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

Danes are on my fantasy list of dogs to own someday. I've never met one I didn't get along with. Their short lifespans bother me, but their awesomeness makes up for it.

The whole lifespan thing just breaks me, man. Both of my guys' parents and grandparents have 10-14 year lifespans in their bloodlines, but who knows if my two will get that lucky? The idea of losing Balen any time soon just.. I can't fathom it.

Danes have never been a long-lived dog, but all the bullshit breeding that happens doesn't help their hearts at all. And it drives me crazy to hear 'Oh yeah, my dane died at 6' or younger of heart failure.

Kaydee will likely outlive both Amy and Balen. Who knows if Balen will survive the flight back to the states or if he'll move with us again? He'll be pushing 10 the next time we move.

poo poo like that is stuff that Amy's breeder pounded into my head. Balen's breeder's the same way. If a great dane breeder isn't asking you if you can deal with your dog dead at 4 due to undiscovered heart failure or your dog only living to 6 or 7 just.. due to genetics and luck of the draw, and constantly reminding you how short lived the breed is, I would dislike that breeder. :colbert:

On a happier note, yeah, I agree. Whoever came up with Scooby Doo either had danes or had experience with them. Marmaduke on the other hand, not so much. He doesn't feel like a dane like Scooby Doo does.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If a great dane breeder isn't asking you if you can deal with your dog dead at 4 due to undiscovered heart failure or your dog only living to 6 or 7 just.. due to genetics and luck of the draw, and constantly reminding you how short lived the breed is, I would dislike that breeder. :colbert:

No. Oh god no. No no noooooooooooo. I thought their lifespans were 7-10, and that was bad enough. 4-6 because of heart failure? gently caress no, I'd pretty much die. I think I'll leave Danes to people who can handle that, because oh my god I certainly couldn't. :(

Edit: I am super grateful that my breed is so long lived now. 16+ with minimal health problems for a medium sized dog? Yes, thank you.

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 30, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

No. Oh god no. No no noooooooooooo. I thought their lifespans were 7-10, and that was bad enough. 4-6 because of heart failure? gently caress no, I'd pretty much die. I think I'll leave Danes to people who can handle that, because oh my god I certainly couldn't. :(

The 'official' average is 7-10 via the great dane club of america, but you see a lot of them going down younger than that to hips and heart problems. Remember that a 7-10 average means there's dogs that live to be 16 and ones that die at 3 running around the yard. You know all that poo poo about mastiffs just running around then all of a sudden, they fall over dead? That happens with danes just as much.

So while it's not going to be the majority, your dane could still just drop at young/middle age for most dogs due to their heart kicking it. You can say that about any breed, but it's getting more common than I'm comfortable with in danes.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Quick! Look at the puppy!

Oh poo poo I love harlequin danes! :neckbeard:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

When I was pretty young, 4-6 or so (and I was a pretty teensy kid), our neighbors across the street had a great dane who I would say hi to one time. Apparently this individual great dane was one of the biggest (or the biggest?) in the States (at the time, maybe, and I'm just going off what my mom told me). Anyway, I went to say hi to him with my mom one time and he took my head in his mouth. Like a ball. His owner kept say "Sai! Drop it! Drop the ball, Sai!". He did and we were still friends :3:

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Great danes are gorgeous :3: I'll have to get some pictures of Ranger, our Great Pyrenees, to put up. This is the only one I have on my computer:

Frozen eyelashes :3:

sheids
Jul 1, 2007
I could catch a monkey...

Topoisomerase posted:

Wanna cuddle that dog! :3

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Does someone here have Newfies? If there are Newfies I need pics right now.

If I could handle the drool, I would so have one. But...drool.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Does a chunky boxer count? He's about 75 pounds, and I'd love to photo dump :3:

(he's not fat, he's just goddamn huge)

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
Ozzie is ridiculously cute :3:

I love the awkward teenage phase that giant breeds go through! Giant breeds are the best :colbert:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
They're cluztes when they're young. It's great to watch Ozzie and Sage run together; she's all smooth and sleek with her stride, and Ozzie's like watching an explosion in an elbow factory. :laugh: He's starting to find his stride now, but he still breaks out in puppy goofy when he's not paying attention. My favorite is that he still wags his whole rear end like a puppy when I've been gone. Since he goes to work with me, and sleeps in the bed with me, it's kinda rare for me to be gone, and boy, does he get excited to see me.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I hope the goon with the Leonberger comes and posts pics. I love those dogs so much.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Scionix posted:

Does a chunky boxer count? He's about 75 pounds, and I'd love to photo dump :3:

(he's not fat, he's just goddamn huge)

OP should stipulate a minimum size requirement :colbert:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

RazorBunny posted:

OP should stipulate a minimum size requirement :colbert:

Let's say a minimum of 110 lbs, with an exception for any dog more than 20% over "normal" size. If it's not a giant breed, then at least a giant of it's breed :chord:

Oh, and a specific exemption for Scionix, because boxers are awesome and I want pictures. Also, even a normal boxer has giant-sized doofiness. They wag their whole bodies, for pete's sake. :3:

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Let's say a minimum of 110 lbs, with an exception for any dog more than 20% over "normal" size. If it's not a giant breed, then at least a giant of it's breed :chord:

Oh, and a specific exemption for Scionix, because boxers are awesome and I want pictures. Also, even a normal boxer has giant-sized doofiness. They wag their whole bodies, for pete's sake. :3:

So this is Lucy. She seems like a pretty normal sized boxer, only around 50 pounds. (those fukken bat ears :3:)

A (blurry) Winsto appears!

Oh, he's pretty big...

It's like you could fit two of her in him! :haw:

Bonus "daww" shot:

You know, now that I think about it, I haven't seen many boxers on PI...

(hopefully they don't suffer from super cellphone camera blur like mine do :ohdear:)

Scionix fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I hope the goon with the Leonberger comes and posts pics. I love those dogs so much.

This, that dog was amazing!

e; not that these dogs aren't also very awesome.. :)