Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Man, you get up for 10 seconds and they take your warm spot.

Sage likes to ride. This was from 2008, so she would've been about 5 in this picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Medium giant breed, June was an 18 pound Flemish Giant:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Good lord, that's a giant bunny. Are they potty trained? Because I can't imagine a non-potty trained bunny on the bed :gonk:

Tamgerine
Jul 11, 2006

Fatty Fat Failure!
How is your muffin top, fatty?
Hope those cheetos were worth it.
Are all giant breed dogs slobbery? I saw two great danes for the first time at the beach the other day. They were huge and getting slobber everywhere and didn't pay any attention to my pettings!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tamgerine posted:

Are all giant breed dogs slobbery? I saw two great danes for the first time at the beach the other day. They were huge and getting slobber everywhere and didn't pay any attention to my pettings!

Some great danes are really, really dry mouthed. Amy only gets a tiny bit of water on you if she's just had a drink. Balen, on the other hand, has lips that cascade waterfalls of drooly water for a good 10 seconds after he drinks. It just depends on how their mouths are set up. I imagine Amy probably WILL drool a little more as she gets older, but my danes don't drool at all unless they've just had a drink. Some drool all over the place like mastiffs/newfies.

They did not pay attention to you because they can be pretty aloof (of course as I'm typing that, Amy sits down and puts her paw on my leg like "hey. HEY"). Specifically, my parents were watching them once. Balen had an aloof couple of minutes and my mom was pretty sure he was upset with her. He was just being a dane and exploring the new area. He didn't even wag his tail while he was getting petted. He just kind of turned his head and went back to looking around their house. :) It's not a personal thing. They were just excited about the new place/play/whatever, something had their attention and they could pay attention to the human giving pets later.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

Good lord, that's a giant bunny. Are they potty trained? Because I can't imagine a non-potty trained bunny on the bed :gonk:

Rabbits pretty much litter train themselves. June had perfect litter habits from day one and never had an accident and didn't even leave territorial pellets around.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Some great danes are really, really dry mouthed. Amy only gets a tiny bit of water on you if she's just had a drink. Balen, on the other hand, has lips that cascade waterfalls of drooly water for a good 10 seconds after he drinks. It just depends on how their mouths are set up. I imagine Amy probably WILL drool a little more as she gets older, but my danes don't drool at all unless they've just had a drink. Some drool all over the place like mastiffs/newfies.

They did not pay attention to you because they can be pretty aloof (of course as I'm typing that, Amy sits down and puts her paw on my leg like "hey. HEY"). Specifically, my parents were watching them once. Balen had an aloof couple of minutes and my mom was pretty sure he was upset with her. He was just being a dane and exploring the new area. He didn't even wag his tail while he was getting petted. He just kind of turned his head and went back to looking around their house. :) It's not a personal thing. They were just excited about the new place/play/whatever, something had their attention and they could pay attention to the human giving pets later.

Yep. Mine aren't bad droolers, unless it's after a drink, or if you're holding something delicious. Or something that might be delicious. Or something that might not be food, but it's in your hand, so it's worth a shot.

:haw: Ozzie had an aloof spell for a while today, and a couple of my patients were convinced he was mad at them. I told them nope, he just plays hard to get sometimes. The Great Dane is the Prince of Dogs, so they get a little briggity from time to time. He'd come up like he was wanting petted, then would turn broadside to them and put his head in "noble dog" mode, and pose at them. He kept bringing me his Wubba and when I picked it up, he'd look at me like :golfclap:
Sage is always a bit aloof, unless she's in doofus mode.

Pardalis, your giant rabbit is amazing! She's like something out of an Australian horror movie gone incredibly right. Soooo much fluffy bunny adorableness, you'll never escape her cuteness! :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Topoisomerase posted:

:iamafag:

Masey
Aug 22, 2006
Pancakes.

Pardalis posted:

Medium giant breed, June was an 18 pound Flemish Giant:
This thing would eat all 3 of my cats. Dear lord.

Some should do a write up on all the big breeds because I just don't even know how to start googling that shiz. :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Sleeeeeeepy dogs.

God, why does your ear always stay stupid?

Yes, I'm talking to you!

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane.
Riley at 3 months:

4.5 months:

7 months:

15 months:

Sinsi at 5 weeks:

3 months (with big sister Riley):

Riley at 2 years (left), Sinsi at 1 year (right). The 2 Skyes are 9 months old:

nildrohain454
Nov 17, 2006

Conk-a-reeeee!!!
Yay, harlequins!!!! :neckbeard:

Mason been with us since he was 6 months old, and he's three now. Big dogs are the best, there's nothing like a big dog hug. :3: Have a photo dump. :D

Mason on my bed. This is a queen size bed by the way:

Scritching his face.

Long dog is long...

It's amazing how small such a big dog can curl up. :3:

I ARE DISTINGUISHED!!

Wut?

Hellooooooo...

Pet...me...

YAWN

Wearing my Dad's XL sweatshirt. He needed to hold the bone so I could get a good picture.

Mason decided he wanted to be with Daddy in the papasan chair. My Dad's 6'1'', for the curious.

Dad was sitting cross-legged on the floor for this one, when Mason wanted a hug.

I posted these two in the "Post pictures of your pet on your keyboard" thread. Uberdog was a little big for it. :downs:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Oh my god I've always wanted a giant dog. :3:

There's just something about a dog looking like a horse/polar bear. :allears:

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
This thread is amazing! Also, Dr Ozziemandius what size is your bed for reference? I wanted to ask if you giant dog owners let your pups sleep on the bed at night but upon seeing the photos clearly that would be impossible with dog all over it. :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

For Balen's 6th birthday (5/25) I took him out shopping and socializing. He got treated like a celebrity. And he loving loved it.:

:3: I love their store's logo.

Straight inside the door and we had like eight people converge on him (and a dachshund). My broken rear end Japanese came in handy. ...Everyone wanted pictures. So many hugs.

"Now look kid, one day you're gonna be a big dog like me, lemme give you a few tips-"

"Hey, you smell just like one of my toys at home :haw: "

I ever mention Balen loves kids? Yeah. Around this point he was getting kinda thirsty. So I took him to some water.

"But there's a food stand right over there, dude. Come on. That's not funny."

"There we go". And then I was like "Hey, Balen? You want a hot dog?" since there was a hot dog stand nearby.

And he was like "gently caress yes, HOT DOG"

"Mine?"

:3: So gentle. By the way, that's my friend's kid (friend is the cleavage pictured on the other side of the table) who's 4. And she loves Balen like crazy. Apparently she asks to come over and play with him.

Takin' up the entire walkway, but that hot dog was delicious. Slorp.

Blonde american kids also draw locals like crazy. So enormous dog + little blonde kid = even more pictures and attention for both of them. Friend and I just sort of sat back and laughed. There was a crowd of like 15 playing with them at one point.

"Okay, it's hot, can we go somewhere cold?"

He takes up the entire back seat of my van. I drive the US equivelent of a honda odyssey. Three human asses can fit on that seat.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/safluffybunnies/videos/9/

I let Balen, Amy and even Kaydee sleep with me if they want when my husband's gone, but we've got a queen sized bed and I end up sandwiched between these two enormous dogs.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
:3: Oh my god that dog is to die for. I want one. I want HIM.

Tangent: Isn't the US equivalent of a Honda Odyssey a Honda Odyssey? They're fully available in the US.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm guessing she meant the Japanese equivalent. :buddy:

Fuckin' Balen. :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

InEscape posted:

:3: Oh my god that dog is to die for. I want one. I want HIM.

Tangent: Isn't the US equivalent of a Honda Odyssey a Honda Odyssey? They're fully available in the US.

I will trade 1 hour of playtime with Balen for 6 hours of playtime with your continous stream of kittens. :colbert:

Derp. Yesss. Skizzles has it right. The Japanese equivalent. I'm dumb.

What I drive is this:

Which is a toyota estima emina. But it is literally toyota's take on a honda odyssey. Same van. We got a van over here to haul these guys around in. Everything else was too small.

And he belly flops like that against the back seat. Actually, Balen gets the back seat, Amy gets the footwells and Kaydee usually sits in the passenger front seat when we all go somewhere. If husband's with me, Kaydee goes and curls up with Amy.

And yes, it is the cutest thing.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Slightly Used Cake posted:

This thread is amazing! Also, Dr Ozziemandius what size is your bed for reference? I wanted to ask if you giant dog owners let your pups sleep on the bed at night but upon seeing the photos clearly that would be impossible with dog all over it. :3:

It's a king size, for reference. Actually, both of mine sleep with me frequently. At least one is there every night, and sometimes both. I sleep on a very small sliver of bed at the edge, with at least one dog head pushing on me.

Both of mine absolutely adore kids. Sage will try and act like she doesn't want to play, but she'll always follow the kids around, and gets upset if anyone gets too rowdy or horseplaying too rough. Meanwhile, Ozzie just wants to get waller'd on.

He goes to work with me every day, and just gets spoiled rotten by patients. I have people that bring their kids in to appointments with them just to see Ozzie. If I leave him at home, I spend the whole day explaining myself. :3:

MORTAL COMBAT!

Actually, they're running after my buddy's kids on their dirt bikes. The slobber's courtesy of a quick trip to the creek.

Pounce!

Getting ready to go home.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 19, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Holy poo poo, Ozzie's doof face on that second picture. :3: It's like you can just hear him screaming YAR-AAAYY.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Here's a video of me and him being stupid. I have no video editing capability, so you have to endure my goofy-speak. Sorry bout that. :downs:

http://youtu.be/0Y_uvlBziqo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tamgerine posted:

Some huge dog breeds don't have those drool jowls. The Bernese Mountain Dog comes to mind but the body type there is more girthy than tall. Kinda like owning a black bear who loves getting cancer.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Ozzie got to go riding on real trails for the first time this weekend. We went to Ride Royal Blue in TN. Took him in my RZR, he did great. Through the judicious application of beef jerky, he had a great time, and learned to watch the trail and anticipate rough patches.

We got rained on a little.

Lazer eyes!

On Top of the World.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I am not a dog person. I am not a dog person. I. Am. Not. A. Dog. Person.

...gently caress it, these dogs rock. Good work you guys :unsmith:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Lazer eyes!

Balen doesn't understand rivers either:

Or why dog ice cream comes in such tiny servings:

And I was looking through my old pictures and found one of Balen's mother, not long after she whelped him and his litter mates:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Balen doesn't understand rivers either:

Or why dog ice cream comes in such tiny servings:

:3: Dog servings are so tiny.

Gettin' brave!

Oh gawd! Faster faster!:ohdear:

Whew, safe by dad. Trying to figure out what that crazy bastard's doing in the deep water.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Here's a video of me and him being stupid. I have no video editing capability, so you have to endure my goofy-speak. Sorry bout that. :downs:

http://youtu.be/0Y_uvlBziqo

I love how his one leg is mostly black - like he's wearing a leg warmer.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well
I now want a Great Dane. drat you, drat you all.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I hope the goon with the Leonberger comes and posts pics. I love those dogs so much.

I only have lovely facebook pics of Neuman right now, but here's a bunch:

Neuman as a puppy.

Not a very bashful puppy.

On Mom's lap.

2 months later crushing Mom's legs.

Random cat in the yard that Neuman made friends with.

PLAY!?!?

The latest pic we have, he's almost 4 years old now - my how the time flies.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Daaaaamn that dog is beautiful.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Daaaaamn that dog is beautiful.

Bear. Its a bear :P That's too big to be a dog hahah.
Seriously, loving AWESOME looking dog, drat he's pimp.
No way the old lady would let me get a dog that big :( Also, what do you use to clean up his poop, hefty-hefty-hefty brand garbage bags? :P

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
He's freakin awesome! :buddy: I've never really seen one before. How much does he weigh now? Gorgeous pup.

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2006

FUCK YOU SAY?

Siochain posted:

Bear. Its a bear :P That's too big to be a dog hahah.
Seriously, loving AWESOME looking dog, drat he's pimp.
No way the old lady would let me get a dog that big :( Also, what do you use to clean up his poop, hefty-hefty-hefty brand garbage bags? :P

I was going to guess a forklift, but drat that is a gorgeous dog. Do you ride him to work?

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
He's 130 pounds and we try and keep him around there... everyone who meets him guesses that he's more around 150-160 but most people don't realize the ridiculous amounts of fur he's wearing.

No, no riding him to work, maybe in the winter we'll hook up a sled to him but he's really lazy in the summer... fortunately for him we only get like 2 months of summer.

My wife and I always say that you get used to the size pretty quick. He's so low energy inside the house that I don't really see the difference between Neuman and having a medium sized dog. Hell, when we babysit higher energy dogs we always say how much easier Neuman is, but we're kind of biased. ;) I'm sure you Great Dane owners can relate.

Since I enjoy pimping my furry child, here are a couple of vids, I love this first video, he still does a happy dance today when he gets something he likes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSsN6C0ISYA

and some bouncy cam work from my wife who apparently throws like a girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ5O2-_VZsY

Mr Kapu
Jul 6, 2009
The first thing we did when we got Sam was get her fixed.

She was not pleased.

She started feeling better after awhile.

We went for drives.

Went to the beach.

Actually, we went to the beach a lot.

Sammy tried fishing

She likes fish.

My fiancee deployed to Kuwait a year ago and Sam sent him lots of love whenever she could.

Eventually it got cold

And we played at dog sledding.

She's a silly pooch.

Mr Kapu fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 28, 2011

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

That happy dance is so adorable!

What made you guys decide to get a Leonberger bear?

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Oh god I want a giant breed dog :3:

I have three cats so would have to do lots of planning. My new partner's on board with the idea of a great dane so its not impossible anymore

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Zenithbliss posted:

I have three cats so would have to do lots of planning.

Plan 1: Teach cats to ride dog

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Misanthrope posted:

lots of pics

And now I want a pet bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Skizzles posted:

Plan 1: Teach cats to ride dog

Once upon a time, Gabriel was not pleased that I figured out how to teach him 'sit' and 'stay'.

However, Balen thought being a cat pony was the best thing.

I've met very few danes that don't get along with cats, so at least you've chosen an easy breed to integrate from the dog side.