Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

Misanthrope posted:

I just made embarassing squeee noises and my co-worker in the next cube asked if I was looking at Pet Island pics. I've been caught! drat you and your adorable giant dog/bear!

Is he as soft as he looks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Mr Kapu posted:

The first thing we did when we got Sam was get her fixed.

She was not pleased.

Sam's beautiful :3: How old is she?

Misanthrope posted:

MHe's so low energy inside the house that I don't really see the difference between Neuman and having a medium sized dog. Hell, when we babysit higher energy dogs we always say how much easier Neuman is, but we're kind of biased. ;) I'm sure you Great Dane owners can relate.

Yep, Danes are great as pups. Sleep for 4-6 hours, poop, eat, poop again, then play for 30-45 minutes, then sleep for another 4-6 hours. When Ozzie's in a growth spurt, he'll go to work and not leave the couch from 8am to 4:30pm or so (excepting meals, treats, and trips outside), then get up and want to wrassle everyone in the building for about an hour, then go home and sleep some more. They're really low maintenance, and they not super demanding.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 29, 2011

Mr Kapu
Jul 6, 2009

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Sam's beautiful :3: How old is she?

Thank you! She's nearly three. She's the sweetest, happiest dog I've ever met. :3: I love big dogs.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've met very few danes that don't get along with cats, so at least you've chosen an easy breed to integrate from the dog side.

Honey the Great Dane's blog has some valuable posts about the process of integrating their new kitten with their dane. This is a great one, also try browsing the 'Muesli' tag.

And of course there are photos like this. :3:

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Mr Kapu, your St. Bernard is awesome. More pics!

Radio! posted:

What made you guys decide to get a Leonberger bear?

We wanted a big dog that didn't drool and wasn't prone to many health issues. We met a lady with 3 Leo's at the dog park and pretty much fell in love with the breed.

We did some more research and decided to get one, then we talked to a few different breeders and asked some questions... the breeder we went with had been breeding them for 25 years, was an ex RCMP K9 trainer, and when I asked a few questions about the breed in general her response was about 7 pages long.

They're also really good with kids and actually drawn to them. Although I think that's a common trait with all giant breeds as the little humans are perfect licking height. My little nephew has already pulled himself up to a standing position using my dogs fur... Neuman didn't even flinch.

JimmydaFish posted:

Is he as soft as he looks?

My wife is pretty OCD about brushing him so yeah he's ridiculously soft, of course when he's blowing his coat it's hell... I've probably consumed enough dog hair in the last 4 years to build another Leo. Thank god for Dyson vacuums.

nildrohain454
Nov 17, 2006

Conk-a-reeeee!!!

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Yep, Danes are great as pups. Sleep for 4-6 hours, poop, eat, poop again, then play for 30-45 minutes, then sleep for another 4-6 hours. When Ozzie's in a growth spurt, he'll go to work and not leave the couch from 8am to 4:30pm or so (excepting meals, treats, and trips outside), then get up and want to wrassle everyone in the building for about an hour, then go home and sleep some more. They're really low maintenance, and they not super demanding.

This is very true. Most of the time Mason just wants to cuddle. People always talk about how big he is and hard it must be to care for a big dog, but he's just not that big to me anymore. A lot of time I just look at him and go, "Well, he could be bigger".

Here he is in a cuddling mood:

One interesting thing about him that I found out by accident was that he goes absolutely BERSERK when I say the word "comfortable". He also does the same thing with "convertible". I've tried it in different vocal tones, and it's definitely the words that get him excited. I just keep telling him that whatever he thinks I'm saying, I'm not saying it. :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

nildrohain454 posted:

This is very true. Most of the time Mason just wants to cuddle. People always talk about how big he is and hard it must be to care for a big dog, but he's just not that big to me anymore. A lot of time I just look at him and go, "Well, he could be bigger".

Here he is in a cuddling mood:

What a big, sweet, lovin' lug. :3:

Yeah, I always tell people that they're not big, they're regular dog-size, and you just didn't realize how small most dogs really are. When I first had Sage, and my old lab/boxer mutt was alive, after a certain size, she never seemed any bigger to me, but Miles just kept shrinking :raise:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

What a big, sweet, lovin' lug. :3:

Yeah, I always tell people that they're not big, they're regular dog-size, and you just didn't realize how small most dogs really are. When I first had Sage, and my old lab/boxer mutt was alive, after a certain size, she never seemed any bigger to me, but Miles just kept shrinking :raise:

I've noticed this too and it just confuses me. Labs used to be 'larger' dogs. Anything I have to lean over to pet seems.. tiny.

Hell, Kaydee's 20 pounds and most people think she's an 'average' dog. I stare at them because she comes up a little past Balen's hocks.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

This is Bo. Bo thinks it's acceptable to treat me like a couch. I think it's acceptable to take pictures of his face when it's all scrunched up.

EDIT: sorry for breaking tables, it's no longer horrible now.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 30, 2011

Knerd
May 19, 2008

Grandpa fucking spaceshuttle!
This is Clementine. She is a seven week old English Mastiff, and totally my best friend. We just brought her home and she hasn't had any accidents, and is getting along famously with all of the other pets. She weighs 12 pounds and seems bigger every day.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Knerd posted:

This is Clementine. She is a seven week old English Mastiff, and totally my best friend. We just brought her home and she hasn't had any accidents, and is getting along famously with all of the other pets. She weighs 12 pounds and seems bigger every day.

Aww, you woke her up for that second picture, didn't you? :3:

When we no longer have to move every 2-3 years, I want a mastiff. Just.. trying to move with the danes is so hard already.

SpookyLizard posted:

This is Bo. Bo thinks it's acceptable to treat me like a couch. I think it's acceptable to take pictures of his face when it's all scrunched up.

EDIT: sorry for breaking tables, it's no longer horrible now.

:ohdear: What IS Bo? His face is so smooshed...I.. he could be anything.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
He's supposedly also an English Mastiff. :3: I told him on Google+ that he needed to post him.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Skizzles posted:

He's supposedly also an English Mastiff. :3: I told him on Google+ that he needed to post him.

Oh my god is he a brindle? Because.. I want to be sure, here.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Judging by the other pics on his G+ profile, nope. It's just the way the lighting plays on his scrunchiness that gives the brindle impression.

edit: for content, a picture I snatched off a GIS of Irish Wolfhounds. :3: I'd be a filthy liar if I said I didn't want one some day.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 31, 2011

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Knerd posted:

I remember when Bo was that little. I used to be able to hold him in some manner. Now I need both hands to hold up his head. He takes up more space on the couch or bed than your average person does.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Oh my god is he a brindle? Because.. I want to be sure, here.

He's an apricot. He's about two and a half years old.

Here he is circa late 2008:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

He's an apricot. He's about two and a half years old.

Here he is circa late 2008:

:3: Look at that ferocious doggie. Look at hims.

Admit it. You smooshed his face in some ink when he was a pup and his fur just never grew back out. The same as Clementine's owner clearly did. It's like taking off dew claws. It's just done with mastiffs.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:3: Look at that ferocious doggie. Look at hims.

Admit it. You smooshed his face in some ink when he was a pup and his fur just never grew back out. The same as Clementine's owner clearly did. It's like taking off dew claws. It's just done with mastiffs.

Naw, he's all natural. Blow up the smooshed face picture, you can see his fur near the borders of his mask; the mix of orange and black fur is just amazingly perfect. His mask isn't perfect though, there's a small spot on the left side of it where it used to not grow in, and now it only grows in white. That's because Molly (my dog, black lab) showed him that when she doesn't want to play she doesn't want to play.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Skizzles posted:

Judging by the other pics on his G+ profile, nope. It's just the way the lighting plays on his scrunchiness that gives the brindle impression.

edit: for content, a picture I snatched off a GIS of Irish Wolfhounds. :3: I'd be a filthy liar if I said I didn't want one some day.

Oh man, I am so not a dog person but I love Irish Wolfhounds. I wish they lived a bit longer, though :( When I worked at a vet during high school we had one that came in once or twice. Her name is Trish.

Here she is as a puppy.

A year later she got big

We also had a Bouvier that came in a lot. Now those are some loving cute dogs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Your vets are dicks for not putting the bowl up, dude. There's platforms that'd elevate it right beside her in that picture.

But god drat irish wolfhounds are awesome. :3: That boov looks so confused.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Your vets are dicks for not putting the bowl up, dude. There's platforms that'd elevate it right beside her in that picture.

I put it there but thanks~

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You're wrong. There's not enough compelling evidence suggesting that elevated food dishes prevent torsion.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ Experience=nothing, I guess.

Shnooks posted:

I put it there but thanks~

You're welcome. Feeding a giant breed dog from the ground is stressful for them and risks vomiting, bloat and a good few other things. I don't know a single giant breed breeder who feeds at ground height and if I saw a kennel or vet (or anyone who worked for my vet) feeding my dogs at that height, the dogs would be out ASAP and they wouldn't be back.

So it's just a heads up in case you get to deal with them again in the future. I guess you didn't know or something.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: ^^^^ Experience=nothing, I guess.

You're welcome. Feeding a giant breed dog from the ground is stressful for them and risks vomiting, bloat and a good few other things. I don't know a single giant breed breeder who feeds at ground height and if I saw a kennel or vet (or anyone who worked for my vet) feeding my dogs at that height, the dogs would be out ASAP and they wouldn't be back.

So it's just a heads up in case you get to deal with them again in the future. I guess you didn't know or something.

There are actually studies suggesting that raised food INCREASES the risk of GVD. But since you have all the "experience" you must be right. Carry on.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hood Ornament posted:

There are actually studies suggesting that raised food INCREASES the risk of GVD. But since you have all the "experience" you must be right. Carry on.

Actually, it was more like one inconclusive study that everyone started getting in an uproar about and concluding their own stuff from. Prior to that, the people that decided that elevated dog bowls were awful (Purdue) preached them to the masses.

The majority of large breed dog owners use elevated dog bowls because it is largely veterinarian recommended and it is thought to be safer for large and giant breed dogs in general. There is no study that is widely accepted for or against elevated bowls, period. It is LARGELY an opinion call and my opinion leans with the majority in that the bowls need to be up.

And it's not just my experience. Both of the giant breed vets I used for the danes agreed with me and encouraged me. Their breeders agree with me and encouraged me. Several people I know in giant breed rescues agree with elevated feeders. Look at any respected giant breed breeder. Ask them how they feed.

E: Y'know, I don't know if this is a derail or not, but I'm gonna stop here. If you (either of you two) wanna continue to debate me on it I've got PMs and AIM. This is a happy thread. I am going to make it happy.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 2, 2011

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
That's an awesome happy ol' Dane picture. He's smiling like :razz:

Grey Danes are the best Danes.

This butt scratchin' is entirely unsatisfactory!

The chin treatment's a little better.

Oh! There's the spot.

Sage is still unimpressed.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 2, 2011

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
I hate this thread. It reminds me of how much I love and want a giant dog. :mad:

...please post more pictures :3:

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Hood Ornament posted:

But since you have all the "experience" you must be right. Carry on.

So you read one study and then discount any "experience" actual giant breed owners/breeders have?

.... carry on.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga

Mr Kapu posted:

The first thing we did when we got Sam was get her fixed.

She was not pleased.

would you be happy if someone fixed you?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'd be thrilled. I do not want cancer and/or kids. :stare:

More dane pics! :allears: This thread is making me want to cave and get one some day. A dane and an Irish wolfhound. Yeesss...

nildrohain454
Nov 17, 2006

Conk-a-reeeee!!!

Skizzles posted:

More dane pics! :allears:

Ask and ye shall receive!!!

STERETCHHHHHHH.

My first year down here, we had a HUGE snowstorm. Made walking the dog quite interesting...

My rear end is cold...

What's with all the cold white stuff?

The best part was how he would bunny hop through the snow, until he hit a big snow drift and get buried to his shoulders. Poor thing. :3:

And have a couple of my sister with the Moo-Cow Dog!!!

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Cow dog buddy! :buddy::respek::buddy:

Harley's are awesome. Ozzie didn't know what to think about snow this year, but he sure does disappear in snow-covered woods quickly. It's like one of those paintings where you just see trees and snow, then notice all the horses and wolves in the picture. Only time a giant white polka-dot dog can hide.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
Meet Sunday, my blue merle Great Dane pup :)

This was her at 6 weeks old, when we picked her out at the breeder's:

Then the day we brought her home, at 8 weeks old:

When she was very little, she had two distinctly different colored eyes, but now it's not so pronounced:

About 10 weeks old, very concerned over whether or not she would get a french fry (she didn't):

She hit a huge growth spurt at 11 weeks old; it was like she doubled in size overnight... mostly in the ears :)

She was very sad the day she no longer fit on our laps in the front seat, and was banished to the back:

This is the image on my credit card, haha. Her big doggie smile, at about 14 weeks:

This is one of my favorite pictures because it pretty much sums up our little family. My boyfriend is harassing Sunday who is harassing Cooper, who is just way above all this hullabaloo. At least I have one well-behaved child.

Sunbathing:

4 months old:

A couple weeks ago at the beach, now 5 months old:

And I'm sure by now everyone has seen a million pictures of her and Pippa, but I'll post a few again anyway, because it while it still hurts my heart, I do love the pictures:

One thing I still don't understand is that I get asked on almost a daily basis if Sunday is a Dalmation. First of all, Sunday is about 27" tall at the shoulder, much taller than a Dalmation, and over 70lbs. But most of all, when have you ever seen a grey Dalmation???

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
:3: Welcome to the big doggie thread! Sunday sits so pretty. Great pics. I constantly get asked if Ozzie is a Dalmation. I even had some BYB dalmation breeders ask me to let them breed him. :doh:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Haha that is definitely not Sunday's normal sit. I must have had a really amazing piece of food in my hand to get her to sit like that. Normally she does that lazy Dane thing, where she literally sits right on her butt, her legs splayed everywhere. It's pretty adorable.

I will never understand the Dalmatian thing. At least Ozzie is a Harlequin and is white and black. I can see how people might be a little confused, at least when he was a puppy. But I would really like to meet a grey Dalmatian.

nildrohain454
Nov 17, 2006

Conk-a-reeeee!!!
You guys aren't the only people who get the dalmatian thing. Every time I take Mason out I get the "He's a dalmatian, right?". The best though are the little kids who insist on running up to him going, "It's a firedog!!!". :3:

Mr Kapu
Jul 6, 2009
A friend of mine and I took our dogs to the dogpark a week or two ago.

Sam spent the entire drive sitting on her friend.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

What do you guys think of gastropexy as a preventative measure? I've had two people tell me now that I should have it done before Sunday has a problem when they saw me preventing her from chugging water at the dog park. I was under the impression that vets only did it after the dog bloats, but I don't know that much about it.

Also, I'm becoming increasingly paranoid about Wobbler's. Sunday is my first Dane and I've been convinced at some point or another that she's had about every condition Danes are prone to, so I might just be crazy. What exactly should I be looking for? I feel like her hind legs are kind of wide set when she walks, but I've never been around another Dane so maybe it's normal. Also her legs are kind of shaky sometimes, and very occasionally she loses her balance altogether, but maybe just because she's a pup and growing quickly? We're very picky about her food, she gets Innova Large Breed Puppy which has all the right protein and fat levels.

Any advice?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

What do you guys think of gastropexy as a preventative measure? I've had two people tell me now that I should have it done before Sunday has a problem when they saw me preventing her from chugging water at the dog park. I was under the impression that vets only did it after the dog bloats, but I don't know that much about it.

Also, I'm becoming increasingly paranoid about Wobbler's. Sunday is my first Dane and I've been convinced at some point or another that she's had about every condition Danes are prone to, so I might just be crazy. What exactly should I be looking for? I feel like her hind legs are kind of wide set when she walks, but I've never been around another Dane so maybe it's normal. Also her legs are kind of shaky sometimes, and very occasionally she loses her balance altogether, but maybe just because she's a pup and growing quickly? We're very picky about her food, she gets Innova Large Breed Puppy which has all the right protein and fat levels.

Any advice?

Gastropexy is kind of a sensitive topic. Some people get it done, some don't, but it seems unecessary to me to do surgery on the dog just for that purpose unless the vet's recommending it be done. Still, I'd ask your vet and see what they think about it. And Sunday's breeder. See what her history is like, see if it's ever happened to any of their dogs/their line and see what their opinion is on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8piNrhIGic That's a really good video depicting Wobbler's (especially in the first few seconds). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cKYXuot0Vo&feature=related This one seems to be made specifically to show off Wobbler's.

Shaky doesn't necessarily mean Wobbler's, she might just be being a doofus. Pups lose their balance because they're all paws and legs and ridiculousness. If she's not displaying like those videos, I'd just ask at the vet for their opinion the next time you go in for shots/a check up/her spay? I don't know if she's already spayed.

the tits
Mar 17, 2011

mophymophymophy
Meet Slobbermachine #1 and Slobbermachine #2 aka Cujo and Gorgeous.

the tits fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Gastropexy is kind of a sensitive topic. Some people get it done, some don't, but it seems unecessary to me to do surgery on the dog just for that purpose unless the vet's recommending it be done. Still, I'd ask your vet and see what they think about it. And Sunday's breeder. See what her history is like, see if it's ever happened to any of their dogs/their line and see what their opinion is on it.

I know at my school, they recommend that a gastropexy be done at the time of spaying/neutering for high-risk breeds. Yes, it involves an extra/longer incision, but the opinion there is that it's worth it.