Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate

Braki posted:

I know at my school, they recommend that a gastropexy be done at the time of spaying/neutering for high-risk breeds. Yes, it involves an extra/longer incision, but the opinion there is that it's worth it.

Is it super expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ Depends on your vet. I know the vet I used to use before we moved here would do it for an extra $150 onto your spay. I don't know if that's high, low, whatever, though.

Braki posted:

I know at my school, they recommend that a gastropexy be done at the time of spaying/neutering for high-risk breeds. Yes, it involves an extra/longer incision, but the opinion there is that it's worth it.

Yep, this is the best option I know of if you're going to get it done. If the dog is already down, you might as well go ahead and do it. I'm definately not trying to talk her out of it. Just.. anesthia is risky, bloat is risky, everything is risky. v:shobon:v

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: ^^^^ Depends on your vet. I know the vet I used to use before we moved here would do it for an extra $150 onto your spay. I don't know if that's high, low, whatever, though.

Yep, this is the best option I know of if you're going to get it done. If the dog is already down, you might as well go ahead and do it. I'm definately not trying to talk her out of it. Just.. anesthia is risky, bloat is risky, everything is risky. v:shobon:v

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel either way. I'll talk to my vet about it, who specializes in Great Danes. We haven't had Sunday spayed yet, since my vet recommended that we do it after her first heat cycle. Have you guys heard of this? Also I've only had little dogs before Sunny... what is a Dane cycle like? :ohdear:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel either way. I'll talk to my vet about it, who specializes in Great Danes. We haven't had Sunday spayed yet, since my vet recommended that we do it after her first heat cycle. Have you guys heard of this? Also I've only had little dogs before Sunny... what is a Dane cycle like? :ohdear:

You know that fence that keeps her so nicely contained right now? Yeah, she might try to jump that. Or slip her collar. Danes aren't too different from any other bitch in heat and they're a pain in the rear end. You might see a dot of blood here or there on the floor, she might get more emotional about things. Amythest pretty much turns into a giant leech and shoves her face into my legs every time I sit down. But YMMV.

Many large breed owners don't spay/neuter until after 1 year (first cycle through, maybe even a second for some bitches) because of the role hormones have in growth and muscle and all that good stuff. You -can- do it, but large breed specific vets usually suggest you don't if you're willing to deal with an intact dog.

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html is a good thing to read, as is http://www.littleriverlabs.com/neuter.htm . They're relevant for dog athletes, but danes rely so much on their body fitting together right that it's just as relevant for them. And likely what your vet is talking about.

E: http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/140518-living-with-a-bitch-on-heat/ Alenkit's post on that thread is pretty accurate. Strict out and in toilet breaks, don't go for a walk since there might be strays running about and you never know if they're going to be human-friendly strays or not, keep her away from males (intact or not), etc.

E2: VVVV Those percentages look about right to me.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 7, 2011

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Veruca Salt posted:

There does seem to be one paper that's commonly cited on the topic of breed and GDV rate. It says:

quote:

However, certain breeds, such as the Great Dane, had a higher lifetime risk of developing GDV (42.4%) or dying of GDV (12.6%). These estimates are conservative, because the mean (± SD) age of the dogs at the start of this 5-year prospective study was only 3.2 ± 2.5 years, and the incidence of GDV increased with age.

It's fairly old (2000), and I didn't read it over with a fine-toothed comb so maybe there's something flawed with the methodology despite it surviving peer review, but if you assume those numbers are correct I think a gastropexy would be a good idea given those odds. She's young, and she'll be under for her spay anyway. Although the risk from anaesthesia is never 0, her risk of developing complications from the anaesthesia is low, whereas the risk of her having GDV sometime in her life seems alarmingly high.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Braki posted:

Coming in a bit late, but yeah I would do the gastropexy with the spay if I had a Dane.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

I have a neutered male English Mastiff named Thor (He was named before that awful movie) and lately he's been fairly territorial. When someone comes to the door he'll just bark and bark even when they get inside the house. When my dad comes over he just kind of growls at him and stays in the other room. Is this a breed trait or just his own personal issues?

Veruca Salt posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel either way. I'll talk to my vet about it, who specializes in Great Danes. We haven't had Sunday spayed yet, since my vet recommended that we do it after her first heat cycle. Have you guys heard of this? Also I've only had little dogs before Sunny... what is a Dane cycle like?

When I had a Dane, they made me wait too. It's was like any other heat cycle from what I've heard but we had to keep her on a tile floor because she was just pouring blood. I don't know if that's a big dog thing or not but it freaked me out at first.

hypoallergenic cat breed fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 7, 2011

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Besides the anesthesia, is there any significant reason to NOT do the surgery? I mean, could it possibly hurt them in some other way later on or something? If there's no downside to doing the surgery if she has to be under anyway, then I guess I don't see why not to do it, but I have a feeling it can't be that cut and dry.

Disco Nixon posted:

When I had a Dane, they made me wait too. It's was like any other heat cycle from what I've heard but we had to keep her on a tile floor because she was just pouring blood. I don't know if that's a big dog thing or not but it freaked me out at first.

This is what freaks me out a little.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

They sell doggie diapers at most pet stores, though maybe not in Great Dane size, if you only have carpet in your house. Though I don't know how I'd stop myself from laughing if I ever saw a huge dog in diapers.

vstheworld
Jan 8, 2007
i want to ride my bicycle. :(
Big dogs ROCK. I'd never have anything but a giant dog. My guy is 1.5 years old and stands at 33". super skinny though. He's a Borzoi named Hyperion. We call him Hyper for short. He's a hellion.

Standoff with my Silken Windhound!

d'awwww

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Disco Nixon posted:

They sell doggie diapers at most pet stores, though maybe not in Great Dane size, if you only have carpet in your house. Though I don't know how I'd stop myself from laughing if I ever saw a huge dog in diapers.

You can get great dane sized ones at one or two websites, but they're overpriced. If you're worried about splashing, use little boy's underwear. Amy is around a size 10-12. Turn them around backwards (so you can pull the tail through the little crotch hole) and put a pad on it to catch anything. But Amy's never poured. Just a few dots here and there for a few days and then it largely stops. It just means I mop a bit more for a while.

Beyond the general 'it is a surgery' drawbacks, I don't know of any drawbacks to gastropexy. And looking through google I didn't see anything, but I may have missed something.

I met a borzoi all of once and I was STUNNED by it, because I was like 10. I made best friends with him in seconds and rubbed that ridiculously long nose forever. They are the flattest dogs I have ever seen. And they are loving awesome. Your borzoi is awesome. But god the one I met shed like a sheep. How's Hyperion's grooming?

vstheworld
Jan 8, 2007
i want to ride my bicycle. :(

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I met a borzoi all of once and I was STUNNED by it, because I was like 10. I made best friends with him in seconds and rubbed that ridiculously long nose forever. They are the flattest dogs I have ever seen. And they are loving awesome. Your borzoi is awesome. But god the one I met shed like a sheep. How's Hyperion's grooming?

I swear to god he's 2D.I lose him sometimes when he's sleeping flat on my white down comforter. Seriously. And he sheds like mad. All the time. You are not allowed to wear black in my house. :bang:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Wanna hug that Borzoi. :3: Huskyjackal kept saying she sees some Borzoi-ish (or some kinda sighthound) looks in Shadow's face/head. I can see it too, but then I look at an actual Borzoi and I'm like, "...haha no."

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

vstheworld posted:

Borzoi

Silken Windhound

:stare: Why have I never before seen pictures of your beautiful skinnydogs?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Serella posted:

:stare: Why have I never before seen pictures of your beautiful skinnydogs?

Every time vstheworld posts I cry a little inside that I can't have all the hounds.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

vstheworld posted:

Big dogs ROCK. I'd never have anything but a giant dog. My guy is 1.5 years old and stands at 33". super skinny though. He's a Borzoi named Hyperion. We call him Hyper for short. He's a hellion.

Standoff with my Silken Windhound!

d'awwww

Ahhhh! It's Slenderdog!:supaburn: Somebody start photoshopping.

Seriously, he's beautiful. I've never seen one in person, and I had no idea that they were that tall. :3:

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Oh gosh Borzoi. I love Borzoi. :3:

More flatdogs please.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
:rolleyes: Gawd, Sage, you're such a brown nose.

I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT!.....now what?

Pleeeeeease can I have that single piece of dog food you've got? I neeeeeeed it more than anything ever ever ever!

Click to see live, slow tail-chasing action

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 9, 2011

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Large breed folks, are any of you familiar with Developmental Orthopedic Disease (knuckling over) in large breed puppies? There's a poster in the Small Animal Questions megathread with a boxer pup that looks to have the condition. Obviously the pertinent advice is 'go to the vet asap', but if you have any additional experience or advice to offer, I'm sure it would be welcomed. Link to the post here;

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=242#post394539689

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

notsoape posted:

Large breed folks, are any of you familiar with Developmental Orthopedic Disease (knuckling over) in large breed puppies? There's a poster in the Small Animal Questions megathread with a boxer pup that looks to have the condition. Obviously the pertinent advice is 'go to the vet asap', but if you have any additional experience or advice to offer, I'm sure it would be welcomed. Link to the post here;

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=242#post394539689

"Go to the vet ASAP" is pretty much what I'd say, because it's hard to offer extra help without knowing the vet's diagnosis. But that's loving awful. Like 6 said, some grow out of it and some don't. I hope that little guy is one of the ones who does, or the vet they're going to is a good vet (or they send them to an orthopedic vet) that can help out.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Saw this on youtube this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpesu-5izLE

I don't have a giant dog, I have a cocker spaniel who recently had a nasty tangle with the dreaded Bloat. She eventually managed to vomit and went back to normal, but that was a scary couple of hours

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: Balen pretty much dove into husband's arms when he got back.

He knocked him over like six times whimpering like a girl the whole time, then sat on him for a while and wouldn't let him up. Amy was still well behaved and sat and waited for ear scritches while beating her sides with her tail. Every time he comes home from something longer than a week, the dogs are all over him.

Clarabelle, I'm glad your pup got through it alright.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Clarabelle, I'm glad your pup got through it alright.

It was worse because I'm living in England and she's with my parents in Ireland (she's the family dog, but my brothers and I all moved out, so she's really my parents' dog now). She got the bloat one evening and stopped being able to walk properly (all the gas in her stomach was pushing on an artery and it messed with the blood supply to her brain), she was panting and in an awful state. My mother got down on the floor and just held her for hours. They thought she wouldn't make it through the night, and that if she did, they might have to put her to sleep if she was still suffering. If it'd come to that, they and my brothers would've been able to say their goodbyes, while I'd be stuck here. It's the worst part of emigration, no amount of video chat lets you hug your loved ones for the last time (and given that she's 15, she could go at any time).

As I said, she managed to vomit and was fine again straight away, was able to walk immediately, but it was scary as gently caress. I miss her

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I changed the thread tag to "horses".

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

bamzilla posted:

I thought it was the Sirius thread for a minute. :doh:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

bamzilla posted:

That's hilarious. I wish we could put "Giant Breed" in the thread title somewhere so we could get even more people and pictures in here :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Balen got a bath today.

He was very, very unimpressed. So he went and had a little dig in the dirt afterward. Thanks, dog. It only took 45 minutes to get you showered.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 18, 2011

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Doll House Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 17, 2021

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Doll House Ghost posted:

:swoon: Where was this picture taken? It's gorgeous!

The dogs are pretty awesome too, Väinö with the baby...completely :3:

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

That's either from our cottage or near my sister's house. The picture above it is from my sister's backyard at least. It's a frozen lake. She lives on a hill in the middle of forest with a lake as her backyard.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Judging from the trees and moss - and also the dog's name being "Väinö" - I'd say it's in the northern half of Finland.

I'm curious what the other half of Vilma is though.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Yeah forgot to mention the actual place. :blush: But yes, Finland.

And I asked my sister and Vilma was dane/boxer mix.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yeah, I can see the boxer in that body. And the dane on that face. :3:

He is one hell of a big rear end eurodane. Look at that broad chest!

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Doll House Ghost posted:

Hanging out with my niece. Thanks to growing up with Väinö around she's positively not scared of any animal. Väinö is the sweetest dog.

He's gorgeous! Please post more pics of your sisters dogs.

Also, I'd totally be down with a thread title change to something indicating giant breeds, if a mod should feel so inclined. I honestly never thought the thread would stick around this long, or I'd've put more effort into the name :buddy:

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I pretty much visit this forum daily now in hopes that someone has posted more pictures of their giants.

Speaking of that, I should post more pictures of mine...

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

I got to dog sit a few weeks ago but haven't had time to post any pictures!

From leftt to right you have Nemo, Maverick, and Soma.

I only dog sat Soma and Maverick is mine. The weekend started a litttle tense as Maverick was unsure why I allowed such a beast to reside in our living room.

Then things relaxed and were blurry:

Then there were the naps:

We went to the dog park:

And some videos, best advice turn sound way down as I am :saddowns: and didn't turn the TV off. Also my house is ghetto and why I haven't posted pictures yet were getting out of POS rental and buying a house.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBk9jyUktiE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOffEqphzN0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOz8_exiFS8&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiwYfgt0oL4&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/user/DenialTwist64?feature=mhee#p/u/5/bmvBc-zLLsM
http://www.youtube.com/user/DenialTwist64?feature=mhee#p/u/4/yS4P3ga0TIU

fnif
Apr 21, 2007
xDm
The great dane look absolutely fabulous.

What is the limit of giant breed?

Our giant schnauzers are quite small compared to danes, but often hear kids telling how big the dog is (I still see them as small puppies disregarding their age)

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

fnif posted:

My wife and I always joke around that if you have to bend down even slightly to pet it, it's not a giant breed.

That 2nd pic, you must have been cleaning up sand in your house for days.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oh god, I love giant schnauzers (and schnauzers in general). The farm I used to take horseback riding lessons at had a couple of them. How do you deal with that coat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

fnif posted:

The great dane look absolutely fabulous.

Our giant schnauzers are quite small compared to danes, but often hear kids telling how big the dog is (I still see them as small puppies disregarding their age)

Aw geez I love the shape of their face flooff. :3: I'll be immensely impressed if you handstrip a dog that large yourself.

And yes more leonberger and borzoi pics in here oh please oh please. As an unrelated sidenote I always wholesomely approve of mythology-based names for pets. <3