Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Ok, I normally post in Yappy Rats, so it feels kind of weird to cross to the 'other side' as it were....

This is my wife's departed Pyr, Bay. He was named "Beethoven" by his idiot first owners, was adopted by my wife's family when he was 11 mos old and lived with them until just before he turned 14. He was not from a reputable source and had a lot of chronic health issues. In the picture, you can see he was in the middle of another eye infection.

Bay's nickname was "Oof" because he was a fluffy oaf of a dog who welcomed most strangers but really only got excited when he saw Erica or children. When he was first adopted he out-weighed her by 20lbs and was an inch taller on his hind legs but she was the ONLY person in the family who could walk him without losing an arm.

Eventually, Bay developed a tumor on his thyroid, and given his compromised breathing and age the vets didn't think surgery was a good option so sadly, they had to say goodbye. But, 13 is a decent old age for a dog that size and he had a very very good life once he left his first owners.

Also, this was taken while her aunt was dog-sitting....he managed to get so far entangled in a bramble on her property that the groomers opted to just shave him instead of trying to brush them out. Hence his slightly shameful expression. He had the saddest rat-tail when she picked him up :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Daneloaf, anyone?

Laser death-eye to protect his new plushie. He loves this thing.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
Hahaha I've been dying to get Sunday an Angry Bird! Let me know how long it lasts before he guts it ;)

fnif
Apr 21, 2007
xDm

Misanthrope posted:

My wife and I always joke around that if you have to bend down even slightly to pet it, it's not a giant breed.

That 2nd pic, you must have been cleaning up sand in your house for days.

Hah, I've also joked that it ain't a dog if you have to bend down to pet it. I've always preferred the bigger breeds.

Actually it came off rather nicely after it dried. Couple of head shakes and that's it.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Oh god, I love giant schnauzers (and schnauzers in general). The farm I used to take horseback riding lessons at had a couple of them. How do you deal with that coat?

Coat is quite easy in my opinion. Twice a year strip the top coat and cut rest down with a machine. Maybe using some furminator and/or coat king in between.

Kerfuffle posted:

Aw geez I love the shape of their face flooff. :3: I'll be immensely impressed if you handstrip a dog that large yourself.

Actually my wife does the trimming, but yeah she does handstrip it. Actually she does it also for her parents and her sisters dogs. They are giant schnauzers too.

Here's our boy in his show coat.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Misanthrope posted:

Speaking of that, I should post more pictures of mine...

Goodness yes, this please! :3: I've always wanted a large breed dog, and had my heart set on a dane for years until I saw pictures of Neuman. I might still get a dane someday, but now my heart is set on a leonberger. I won't be able to get one for several years yet as I'm still in school, but in the meantime I intend on reading every piece of breed information I can get my hands on.

For now I'll have to live vicariously through you and your pictures! :)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Dear people who own giant dogs,
Did you know the leading cause of spontaneous Petsplosion is lack of furms pictures? You didn't? Well you better get on that quick! Precious seconds are ticking away, you could be sitting there, reading the forums, minding your own business, and wham! Petsplosion! Solution? Adorable photos! Bonus points if you have any of small people riding your giant dogs.
Sincerely,
The goons who only own animals smaller than horses...or horses.

Insignificunt
Jul 1, 2010

by I Ozma Myself
This is Molotov, better known as Moli

When she was precious.

She just looks precious, it's all a lie.

Oh, and if you were to break into my house, she would pee on your shoes then hide in the bedroom.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Insignificunt posted:

This is Molotov, better known as Moli

When she was precious.

She just looks precious, it's all a lie.

Oh, and if you were to break into my house, she would pee on your shoes then hide in the bedroom.

Clearly she is the most ferocious hunter/protector. Just like this one:

So. loving. Bored. I'm just gonna flop my chin on this duck. Duckpillow.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
One of my customers found a big girly great dane, black lab, pointer mix running near my store a few days ago and I got to hang out with her at work until her owners retrieved her. She was such a sweet, intelligent dog. Her name is Mia and I slapped that awesome wide pink collar on her since she only had a thin bark collar. Her owners ended up really liking it and bought it for her before leaving.

I love giant breed dogs.

Chewing an antler.

Knerd
May 19, 2008

Grandpa fucking spaceshuttle!
Here is Clementine at about 9 weeks, then again at 10. We were so excited when she was big enough to use her raised bowls! She was way little for them when we first brought her home. We definitely have noticed that since she has been using the raised bowls she has less hiccups and food choking.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Those are the same bowls we have for the danes, only in the biggest size they make. And they're fantastic.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

I'm just curious, does anyone here NOT use raised bowls for their giant dogs? I don't want to turn this into a big debate about which is better, I'm just curious if anyone doesn't.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Veruca Salt posted:

I'm just curious, does anyone here NOT use raised bowls for their giant dogs? I don't want to turn this into a big debate about which is better, I'm just curious if anyone doesn't.

I'm curious about this for my greyhound. I initially read it was a good idea, but then heard arguments the other way too. I just bought a regular bowl but can raise it if that's better.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Knerd posted:

I made a ridiculous noise upon seeing this picture :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

re: elevated dishes, this article says that greyhounds at least don't use them during their racing careers, so it's probably okay. I will probably ask other owners and see what they say. I've actually heard raised bowls can increase the risk of bloat, which is mentioned here. I think the real key though is to make sure they don't do any strenuous exercise soon before or after eating.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

actionjackson posted:

re: elevated dishes, this article says that greyhounds at least don't use them during their racing careers, so it's probably okay. I will probably ask other owners and see what they say. I've actually heard raised bowls can increase the risk of bloat, which is mentioned here. I think the real key though is to make sure they don't do any strenuous exercise soon before or after eating.

Racing greyhounds also eat in their crates, almost always lying down. The real way the tracks prevent bloat is by fasting the dogs on race day.

I don't use a raised feeder because of the risk of bloat, I do it because my dog's legs start to shake when he has to eat something on the ground for any extended period of time. As they get older, eating from a bowl on the ground can become painful for their joints.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My lady is pretty young, but I'll keep an eye out and adjust if she's having any problems. Thanks.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
I've found mine make less of a mess when they eat from raised bowls.

Muddin' is fun!

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Whenever we don't feed Neuman from a raised bowl, he seems to almost cough on his food - when the bowl is raised that goes away... plus he's got a ridiculously long giraffe neck so it just makes sense to feed from a raised position - I built him one and he took to it right away.

rear end Crackers! posted:

Goodness yes, this please! :3: I've always wanted a large breed dog, and had my heart set on a dane for years until I saw pictures of Neuman. I might still get a dane someday, but now my heart is set on a leonberger. I won't be able to get one for several years yet as I'm still in school, but in the meantime I intend on reading every piece of breed information I can get my hands on.

For now I'll have to live vicariously through you and your pictures! :)

Hey I'm happy to oblige - if you have any questions about the breed I can probably lend a hand.

This nice leather couch is now pretty much the dogs.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

actionjackson posted:

My lady is pretty young, but I'll keep an eye out and adjust if she's having any problems. Thanks.

Husker was 3 when we adopted him, and he's always had issues bending down to eat if it was on a slick floor (like in the kitchen). Then again, he's quite large for a greyhound, and his balance isn't the best. A more petite dog would probably have fewer issues.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

We brought Sunday to doggy daycare today, and while she was there she got bitten in the face:

(This looks a MILLION times better than it did when we picked her up, when it was three big open gashes on her face)

Sorry for the crappy camera phone pics.

We had to bring her to the vet (which the daycare paid for) and she glued her up and gave us some pain meds and antibiotics. They would have done staples but Sunday was freaking out too much and they would have had to put her under, so they said the glue would work just as well. It's awesome that the daycare paid for it, but I was a little upset because a) they never called me to tell me it happened; b) I didn't notice it at first and they were about to let me walk out the door without saying anything about it-- luckily another customer said to Sunday, "Aww, did you get a boo-boo?"; and c) then they tried to tell me it was just a scratch not a bite. The vet said it was definitely a bite, and that it was pretty deep.

Sunday is passed out and Cooper is concerned:

Something else I've noticed is that Sunday's been sneezing a lot the past couple days. I didn't really think much of it until tonight, when I noticed that she's spraying all over my comforter, and it's brown. What does that mean?? (Besides a trip to the vet tomorrow of course) Also her nose is running and her eyes are very red and a little gooey.

Poor Sunny Bunny :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You think she could've gotten an injury in her snout when she got bit?

Never use that daycare again.

E: Wait, does the sneezing pre-date doggy daycare?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You think she could've gotten an injury in her snout when she got bit?

Never use that daycare again.

E: Wait, does the sneezing pre-date doggy daycare?

Yup, sneezing has been the past several days, but I believe the actual runny nose is new, as well as it being brown.

EDIT: How worried should I be, because I'm starting to freak out a little

Veruca Salt fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 26, 2011

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

Husker was 3 when we adopted him, and he's always had issues bending down to eat if it was on a slick floor (like in the kitchen). Then again, he's quite large for a greyhound, and his balance isn't the best. A more petite dog would probably have fewer issues.

I'm going to put the dish on a 6" tall container just to help her out a bit.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Misanthrope posted:

Whenever we don't feed Neuman from a raised bowl, he seems to almost cough on his food - when the bowl is raised that goes away... plus he's got a ridiculously long giraffe neck so it just makes sense to feed from a raised position - I built him one and he took to it right away.

Hey I'm happy to oblige - if you have any questions about the breed I can probably lend a hand.

This nice leather couch is now pretty much the dogs.

Good lord I want one! Are they good with other animals?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Veruca Salt posted:

It's awesome that the daycare paid for it, but I was a little upset because a) they never called me to tell me it happened; b) I didn't notice it at first and they were about to let me walk out the door without saying anything about it-- luckily another customer said to Sunday, "Aww, did you get a boo-boo?"; and c) then they tried to tell me it was just a scratch not a bite. The vet said it was definitely a bite, and that it was pretty deep.

Wow that is super lovely of the daycare not to even mention what happened to you. Never go there again.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Ya that daycare is pretty lovely, the place I go to calls me if my dog's poop is runny. They certainly should have contacted you about a bite, to me this means either they saw it and tried to lie to you to cover it up or your dog was with others and unsupervised for a period of time.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

DenialTwist posted:

Ya that daycare is pretty lovely, the place I go to calls me if my dog's poop is runny. They certainly should have contacted you about a bite, to me this means either they saw it and tried to lie to you to cover it up or your dog was with others and unsupervised for a period of time.

This is what I'm thinking. Plus the manager was trying to say it was just a scratch, then when another attendant there said, "No, that's definitely a bite, and it's really deep" he started in with, "Well you know, Sunday does play pretty rough..." Okay, blame it on my 6 month old puppy. I'm positive she didn't bite anybody else's face open.

Also, she was there for about 12 hours. I wonder when the bite happened, because I hate to think of her having been in pain the entire day. :(

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Misanthrope posted:

:swoon: All of those pictures are gorgeous, but this one has me sold! Part of my mind tells me it's just the angle making his head look so huge, but the rest of me knows better. I can't really think of any questions in particular that aren't obvious like temperament, trainability, etc, and that information is pretty readily available from what I can tell. I would still love any anecdotes or experiences you'd like to share though!

fnif
Apr 21, 2007
xDm
Couple of videos of our gang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gMxJpXINfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCFuy0slvKY

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

DenialTwist posted:

We went to the dog park:

This looks a ton like the dog park near me, like I'm pretty sure I've stood right where the dogs are in those shots. Is this Fleet Peeples on Lake Baldwin?

Misanthrope posted:

I know what breed my next dog will be :allears:

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Traxus IV posted:

This looks a ton like the dog park near me, like I'm pretty sure I've stood right where the dogs are in those shots. Is this Fleet Peeples on Lake Baldwin?

I know what breed my next dog will be :allears:

Yup I love Fleet Peeples but, I only go on weekday mornings when it isn't so crowded, it's a super nice park!

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Batdane!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Batdane!

:3: Holy crap, his eyes make him the most ridiculous dog.

tronik
Oct 21, 2008

All this Leonberger talk and no one has mentioned the Bernese Mountain Dog? Get ready to Berner this poo poo up..

Meet Rigley, weighing in at 110lbs and 2.5 years of age.

Berner urine, the very best there is for killing grass and landscape. Accept no substitutes if you're looking for a dog to pee-bomb your lawn to oblivion.

They make great bio-rugs for your fireplace. Rigley is a natural.

Feel free to ask me questions about the breed. I'll post some more pics soon.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

tronik posted:

Berner urine, the very best there is for killing grass and landscape. Accept no substitutes if you're looking for a dog to pee-bomb your lawn to oblivion.

He looks so :smugdog: about it too.

Do you have puppy pictures? I think giant breeds make the cutest puppies, particularly when they're at the awkward teenage phase :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

tronik posted:

Feel free to ask me questions about the breed. I'll post some more pics soon.
He just looks pround as poo poo. "Look what I made for you!":smugdog:

I love Bernese Mountain Dogs! They're gorgeous. Were they originally draft dogs? I've seen people on TV with little pull-cart setups for them. Do yours like to drag things around?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: Every time I meet a berner I sit and play with their paws because dear lord, their paws are ridiculous. So much bigger than dane paws.

That drat face is "HEH, your lawn"

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Sunday is almost 7 months old, and we've noticed that her back feet are turned outwards, and when she runs, she keeps her back legs together like a bunny. Does this mean she's developing hip dysplasia? She doesn't seem to be in any pain-- she loves to run and play and jump, she takes stairs 5-6 at a time, and her food has the proper amount of protein and fat. Should I be worried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Sunday is almost 7 months old, and we've noticed that her back feet are turned outwards, and when she runs, she keeps her back legs together like a bunny. Does this mean she's developing hip dysplasia? She doesn't seem to be in any pain-- she loves to run and play and jump, she takes stairs 5-6 at a time, and her food has the proper amount of protein and fat. Should I be worried?

Do you have a video by any chance?