Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
I'll check if I have some video of her, but here's some pictures:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Okay, I don't know how helpful this is, and it's from May, but I found a video of Sunny playing with her toys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ume-b6QY5Pc

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Bernese puppies. :3: One of the trainers at Petsmart has a Bernese pup. Already bigger than Shadow. And FB is right, OMG THOSE PAWS. :3:

I hope Sunday just has a harmless case of Goofy Legs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So, how much would it cost you for a quick x-ray of those hips, Veruca? Because if we're not talking high prices, I'd get it done. It might be simple puppy dumbassery, but that second picture with both hocks turned so tightly inward doesn't look quite kosher.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So, how much would it cost you for a quick x-ray of those hips, Veruca? Because if we're not talking high prices, I'd get it done. It might be simple puppy dumbassery, but that second picture with both hocks turned so tightly inward doesn't look quite kosher.

That's what I'm thinking, too. I happen to be excruciatingly broke at the moment, but within the next week or two that should change, so I'm thinking x-rays. If it does look like early development of hip dysplasia, is there anything we could do to alter its course at this point since she's so young, or is it going to happen no matter what and all we can do is make her more comfortable?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

That's what I'm thinking, too. I happen to be excruciatingly broke at the moment, but within the next week or two that should change, so I'm thinking x-rays. If it does look like early development of hip dysplasia, is there anything we could do to alter its course at this point since she's so young, or is it going to happen no matter what and all we can do is make her more comfortable?

Oh gosh, yeah, there's tons of options for mild hip dysplasia in young dogs in most cases. Most of them involve orthopedic surgery, but there's lots of stuff. And hey, maybe she's just being a doof. That's what I'll cross my fingers for. :)

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
That was my thought too, just looking at the pics without having read your concerns - there's cow hocks, and then there's feet literally pointing east and west :ohdear:. Her loin is roached up too, which could indicate pain or discomfort even if she isn't giving off anything other than durfy happy puppy signals - that combined with the odd gait you mentioned would definitely make the vet trip high on my list of priorities, if she were in my care. She's cute as heck, btw, I LOVE blue merles :3:. Keep us updated, yeah?

Edit: also, largely for :spergin: reasons, I'd be really interested to see video of her moving at a trot if it weren't too much trouble for you guys, no worries if not though - I'd be reccin' vet either way

notsoape fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 3, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
He's not super big but he photographs quite large. His name is Butters.

e: A few more low quality shots:

I really love this thread. Haven't aww'd so much in a long time.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 3, 2011

Knerd
May 19, 2008

Grandpa fucking spaceshuttle!
Pupsplosion! Our little Clementine just turned 12 weeks, and is currently weighing in at 27 pounds.

Don't be fooled by the sleep cuteness, that is just the only time we can capture pictures that aren't just big-footed apricot blurs.

Hedgepillow. This is after her first day at doggy daycare. She was so tired, I couldn't even get her seatbelt on her before she passed out.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Knerd posted:

Pupsplosion! Our little Clementine just turned 12 weeks, and is currently weighing in at 27 pounds.

Don't be fooled by the sleep cuteness, that is just the only time we can capture pictures that aren't just big-footed apricot blurs.

Hedgepillow. This is after her first day at doggy daycare. She was so tired, I couldn't even get her seatbelt on her before she passed out.

:neckbeard: Dang, she's adorable! I love her li'l face!

Knerd
May 19, 2008

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

:neckbeard: Dang, she's adorable! I love her li'l face!

She is the best puppy ever. First giant breed I have owned, and I'll never go back! Her giant feet and little face make me smile all day.

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Does anybody else ride them like a pony when playing tug? It drives Ephy crazy because I'll be tugging under her chest or to the side and she always tries to skedaddle when I "sit" on her back. Very much fun.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Okay I finally got a video of Sunday running around in our parking garage (as well as Cooper). Please ignore my boyfriend being an idiot, and also Sunday being a stubborn brat and refusing to listen to my command. For what it's worth, when I was reviewing the video, she heard me say "sit" on it and immediately sat down. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlhKkWSexYg

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Good lord, the puppy bunny hopping.

It looks as if she's keeping her weight off that left hind leg a bit more than the right to me. And when she's walking it's very.. she looks sore to me, honestly. Notsoape?

"BUT I DON'T WANNA SIT, I WANNA PLAAAYYYYY :haw: "

:3: Your boyfriend is doofy.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
My wife took a bunch of pictures of Neuman doing his 2 favorite things (that don't involve eating):

1) Laying on his couch:

2) Swimming and half assed retrieving of sticks to chew on them:

"mmmmmmm....wood"

The command "BRING THE STICK IN" means "go running in and swim out to the stick, bring it most of the way in, stop to chew on it, get distracted by anything, forget about stick leave it in 3 feet of water, then come and shake out water on humans".

Dog is not quite a retriever...

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Good lord, the puppy bunny hopping.

It looks as if she's keeping her weight off that left hind leg a bit more than the right to me. And when she's walking it's very.. she looks sore to me, honestly. Notsoape?

"BUT I DON'T WANNA SIT, I WANNA PLAAAYYYYY :haw: "

:3: Your boyfriend is doofy.

You think so? I don't know, she never seems to be in pain, she's never hesitant to jump up and play or run around. Don't get me wrong, we're definitely going to get her x-rayed hopefully by next week, I've just never seen any indication of discomfort or pain. It would kill me if she is hurting and I haven't known. :(

And yes, my boyfriend is definitely doofy, haha. And so is my dog. They're perfect for each other, but I don't know how I wound up with the two of them. ;)

EDIT: Also, Neuman looks like the softest, most comfy pillow ever. :3:

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Yeah, her movement looks off to me - I don't have experience with large breed puppies, so I don't know how much laxity of the hock joint is expected at this age, but I'd be surprised if her rear/movement would be considered typical.

When she's galloping she's doing the half-bound/bunny hop - ok, it's a limited space, but in general she seems off balance and much more tentative on her rear than her front. She has very little drive (push off from the hind foot) either at the gallop or at the trot; her hocks are wobbling all over the place and she isn't opening out easily at the stifle or in her loin (which is staying roached up, which again could indicate pain or discomfort)

I also noticed she paces occasionally (moves the legs on the right side together, then those on the left side - as opposed to the diagonal trot) - that's a gait that can be associated with both poor conformation and painful joint problems, but it's also seen in perfectly healthy, regular dogs all the time (especially longer legged breeds, and especially when they're changing speed and direction as she is) so that doesn't say too much on its own.

In any case, she doesn't trot for very long (and keeps changing direction :3:) so it's hard to read too much into any one component - but the overall picture, IMO, is of a worryingly weak rear which should definitely see a vet asap.

Look at the hocks (back feet and ankle) of this guy coming and going, and see that they still have some laxity, but don't wobble from side to side on impact

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8rd43F53aY

Did the breeder talk to you about Dane joint and mobility issues at all? Had she done health testing on the parents? If she's a show breeder who health tests, it might be worth getting back in touch with her and letting her know what's up with Sunday, and what the vet says at the check-up :).

Also, I can't decide who is durfier; Sunday or the bf :3:

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I have to agree, she seem to slightly favor her right hind leg over her left, almost like the left might be bothering her but not enough to make her actually want to stop playing. She's adorable!

Saveremreve
Dec 30, 2004

I was going to say that I see what looks like somewhat tentative, painful movement but at this point its really hard because the pump had been primed.

Insignificunt
Jul 1, 2010

by I Ozma Myself
All of these monstrosities of critters have made me excited about getting a second dog. My boyfriend has been showing me all sorts of dogs that I just want to hug.

I have my heart set on a male doberman, while he wants something ugly, which equates mostly to him as smaller dogs. :( I must convince him or find something ugly and mean for him to fall in love with.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

One thing to remember is what the person in the Animal Questions thread learned-- having a restricted breed like a Doberman can make it REALLY hard to find a place to rent. :( We're having a hard time renting with a Dane as well.

Insignificunt
Jul 1, 2010

by I Ozma Myself

Veruca Salt posted:

One thing to remember is what the person in the Animal Questions thread learned-- having a restricted breed like a Doberman can make it REALLY hard to find a place to rent. :( We're having a hard time renting with a Dane as well.

I already have one, what the hell worse can two do me. And when she passes, I will have another, and another, and another. This is America, I want a loyal loving dog that can also injure someone who tries to touch me or my things. Mine may be a pansy, but she sure looks the role. She is also becoming territorial and would have eaten the idiot neighbor had I released her. I'm proud, ever since I was picked up in a squad she has been more protective.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Nierbo posted:

He's not super big but he photographs quite large. His name is Butters.

e: A few more low quality shots:

I really love this thread. Haven't aww'd so much in a long time.

Is he Pit/Dane? Cuz that would be awesome :swoon:

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
Meet Ridley: he's very big.

Also, he spends all day like this:

Six month old rescue Great Dane, 80lb on his way to 200!

Dumped at the wife's work because he had an infection his PO didn't want to pay to get treated, so he ended up here, in the shelter of unwanted animals.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

cstine posted:

Meet Ridley: he's very big.

Also, he spends all day like this:

Six month old rescue Great Dane, 80lb on his way to 200!

Dumped at the wife's work because he had an infection his PO didn't want to pay to get treated, so he ended up here, in the shelter of unwanted animals.

He's purty :3: Good on you for rescuing him...poor li'l feller. What kind of infection did he have, and how's it doing? :ohdear:

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

He's purty :3: Good on you for rescuing him...poor li'l feller. What kind of infection did he have, and how's it doing? :ohdear:

The bad kind - something similar to parvo, and something that involved transfusions, even. (He was originally rescued by one of her coworkers, then rehomed here as she couldn't keep him). And it was several months ago, and he's doing fine.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That's freaking awful, but I'm glad he came into good hands. :3: I'm a sucker for a white tail tip like that.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Awwww he's beautiful! And I love his name.

Knerd
May 19, 2008

Clem decided she had had enough shopping for the day. She just turned 13 weeks old and is 31 pounds!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Those are some adorable concerned forehead wrinkles :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tendai posted:

Those are some adorable concerned forehead wrinkles :3:

:3: It's because she's realizing at 13 weeks she's already too big for standard pet beds.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:3: It's because she's realizing at 13 weeks she's already too big for standard pet beds.

She's starting into the "dammit, who shrank the entire world" phase. Ozzie still gets confused and pissed off every time he tries to fit under my desk at work :buddy:

Insignificunt
Jul 1, 2010

by I Ozma Myself
I got a big desk attached to a bookshelf that essentially serves as a stable for my dog. She's not right, I am sure of it.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
While my husband and I were in Petsmart this weekend we walked past all of the crates and I kept exclaiming, "Look honey, we're going to need that one for the leonberger!" while pointing to the largest crates they carry. He kinda got a :stare: expression. I don't think he believed me.

Insignificunt
Jul 1, 2010

by I Ozma Myself

rear end Crackers! posted:

While my husband and I were in Petsmart this weekend we walked past all of the crates and I kept exclaiming, "Look honey, we're going to need that one for the leonberger!" while pointing to the largest crates they carry. He kinda got a :stare: expression. I don't think he believed me.

When the the tries to sneak off with food and stuff I follow her rear end right into her crate and take it. It's huge, the size of a piece of furniture. We both fit in there rather comfortably though. I've had talks about moving the boyfriend in there.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

rear end Crackers! posted:

You should get a magical crate like we got... from 3 to 4 months old, we'd put the dog in there at night, and in the morning a bigger dog would come out.

Salis
Jul 5, 2007
This is just a quick snap from my camera phone, but this loveable polar bear is Zora, a Kuvasz.

He is 9 years old and my friends rescued him when he was 7. Not long after he managed to tear both of his ACL's in his back legs. They contemplated putting him down but they forked the thousands over to get them repaired. He's still very nervous about stairs and has to give himself pep talks before he'll go up or down them.

However he's always sat like he is in this picture, with his back legs straight. I've never seen another dog sit like he does!

If we ever forget he's a big dog, we just take him out somewhere and we will get reminded that he is, in fact, large by anyone who sees him.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Aww, what a cutie. Not trying to start an argument here, but I thought that Kuvasz dogs made terrible indoor pets and had snippy temperaments?

Salis
Jul 5, 2007
No offense taken :)

He's always been an indoor dog. His previous owners had to give him up because their child was too rough with the dog and he snapped at him.

However he is one of the chillest dogs I've ever seen. They have 1 cat that he doesn't like 50% of the time and will bark at sometimes, but other than that he'll just lay on the floor, occasionally walk up to you for butt scratching or to beg for whatever you're eating.

They walk him everyday and sometimes he will get to visit one of the owner's parents who lives on a farm and try to herd their 1 sheep. He's pretty low-key other than that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Luckily it sounds like your parents got a less drivey dog. The snapping at the kid is hardly surprising. Glad he's in a good understanding home now. :)