Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
So at almost nine months, Sunday just started her first heat cycle... oh goody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

No walks, keep her inside away from any males, crate her when you're away, etc. How's her goofy run doing?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

No walks, keep her inside away from any males, crate her when you're away, etc. How's her goofy run doing?

Oh yes, she is definitely segregated. She's been passed out for a few hours because apparently bleeding every loving where is exhausting.

I finally got a job just this past week, so I'll be able to afford the x-rays for her hips. And luckily, my pet insurance will reimburse me 90% for it, so that'll be awesome. She still doesn't seem to be in any pain, can get up and down just fine, and loves to run, but I want to catch it early.

Also just got bitched the gently caress out on my Facebook by a fellow Dane owner/vet student for letting Sunday come into season. :( Jesus people are passionate about things that have nothing to do with them... it's not like I made an uninformed or lazy choice, I just decided to go with my vet's advice. Back off people. :argh:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Give a dane a pizzle. Watch a dane take five minutes to figure out what the gently caress it is (it's been a while), then take two minutes to utterly destroy it.

Great danes, best danes.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Dear God please say you have video of this, or at least photos.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Must Love Dogs posted:

Dear God please say you have video of this, or at least photos.

I do not. But have some 'dane beach pictures to tide ( :haw: ) you over:

Balen going out with husband.

"Oh man is this how we swim? This is the best thing ever!"

rear end, wet.

Balen in

Amy out

The ground disappears beneath her paws

Human buoy

Good girl! You can do it!

...Er.

Well, sorta like that!

Okay maybe you really do suck at swimming.

At this point husband was laughing so hard it was ridiculous. There was practically noone out there, but a couple of the older women on the beach were giggling.

Coming back in

Mocking Amy. Such a dick :3:

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What a huge tongue! :3:

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Guys, I think Ridley was bitten by a radioactive...elephant. He's huge, has laser eyes, and has completely destroyed my deck and everything on it.

...Help?

IMAG0059 by dangermouth, on Flickr

Sorry for the blur. I was running for my life (and haven't figured out how to use my cellphone camera yet).

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ah, the 'what the gently caress puppy, did you sprout another 10 inches overnight?' phase. They eat everything. Wood is the best tasting stuff ever. Our brand new furniture has gnaw marks from Amy's puppyhood stupidity.

Buy lots of chew toys, find out what he likes, then stock up a shitload of those. Amy was all about stuffed animals with the lamby/wooly type fleece on the fronts.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ah, the 'what the gently caress puppy, did you sprout another 10 inches overnight?' phase. They eat everything. Wood is the best tasting stuff ever. Our brand new furniture has gnaw marks from Amy's puppyhood stupidity.

Buy lots of chew toys, find out what he likes, then stock up a shitload of those. Amy was all about stuffed animals with the lamby/wooly type fleece on the fronts.

Chewtoys? He gives no fucks for chew toys. He keeps pulling firewood out from under the deck and decimating it. I wasn't worried about it til he had an accident in his crate and half of it was sawdust!

Please please please don't give yourself an obstruction, dog! (But for everything else, there's CareCredit).

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:sigh: Amythest broke her tail. She was wagging so gleefully and then WHACK, right into the side of the kennel. Happy tail blood flew all over the drat hotel room. It's just the tip and it's healing fine. The local vet thinks it's no big deal and I'm inclined to agree.

But god it's awful scrubbing your dog's blood off the walls.

E: On a happier note, we got Papa John's and husband is seeing if the dogs are into peppers. The green jalapenos you get. They are giving him the filthiest looks.

Knerd
May 19, 2008

Grandpa fucking spaceshuttle!
Our little Clementine, an English Mastiff, turned 6 months old last week! What was previously a little fluffy ball of love is now a gangly bedhog.

She loves stealing all of the toys from her big brother, our 4 year old shepherd.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Your floors are the ideal example of what happens when you mix wood and big dogs :3: Clementine is such a pretty girl.

Thank god we've got (gorgeous) tile this time.

Knerd
May 19, 2008

Grandpa fucking spaceshuttle!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Your floors are the ideal example of what happens when you mix wood and big dogs :3: Clementine is such a pretty girl.

Thank god we've got (gorgeous) tile this time.

It's awful. That is mostly from the previous owners, we've built gates around the floors to prevent it, but haven't gotten them refinished yet. If they weren't 200 years old, I would rip them out and put something else down.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Ozzie and Christmas Monkey say Happy New Year!:toot:

Sage is locked on target; somebody's eating something.

We had snow today, and Oz thinks it's the greatest. It was too dark for video outside, but here he is running around like :derp: after he came in from playing in the yard. :3:

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 4, 2012

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

I am using that video as evidence to show my boyfriend that we absolutely require a Harlequin Dane to keep Sunday company. It's indisputable, really.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
It's the only reasonable thing to do. Having a Dane obligates you to get a Harlequin, for contrast, and so you can have the fun of explaining that no, it's not a really big Dalmatian. :colbert:

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Did somebody say Bernese Mountain Dog puppy?

It's been a long time since these photos were taken. She must have been a few months old.

"Only" 80-90 pounds fully grown, which I understand is pretty tiny for a Berner. She's still strong enough to pull anything you try to tie her to that's not stuck in the ground, of course.

Angel is now eight years old and still healthy despite a close call two years back...knock on wood. Big ol' goof probably saved her own life back then by eating too many socks, lucky girl.

Despite being such a small Berner, she still gets compared to a black bear cub from time to time.

nildrohain454
Nov 17, 2006

Conk-a-reeeee!!!

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

It's the only reasonable thing to do. Having a Dane obligates you to get a Harlequin, for contrast, and so you can have the fun of explaining that no, it's not a really big Dalmatian. :colbert:

Man, the number of time I've gotten that question. The best ones are from the little kids, "IT'S A FIREDOG!!!". I don't have the heart to tell them that he isn't one. :3:

Also good to know I'm not the only one with a dog that does the "I'm inside and empty so I must run around like crazy right NOW!". The best is when he gets tired of running at the end,so he lays down, rolls on his side, and turns into a big snoring puddle of dog in about 15 seconds flat.

(I like playing tug of war with him in the kitchen because he can't get any purchase and just slides everywhere. Makes me feel invincible, since he can usually pull my rear end clear across the carpet. Your video when he goes onto the wood floor reminded me of that. You should be thankful he didn't slide too badly and take out something expensive, like a gigantic dog bowling ball.)

Riscas
Feb 11, 2008

This goofy gently caress is remy

Zerouac
Sep 15, 2004

ARF
Grimey Drawer
Awww I'm loving the big doggies :3:

I don't have the space *yet* for a large breed but luckily my boss has a bull mastiff that hangs around my office and farts all day! He's one of the top ten bull mastiffs in the country (retiring this year) but is a huge clown and still thinks he's a little puppy who fits in my lap.

I can't wait to get my own big dog though.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
My brother wants to get a newfie. He works full time and his garden's pretty small. How likely is it that this is going to be an unmitigated disaster?

(He also wants a shiba inu, but given how he spoiled our family dog rotten, I can't see him coping well with a breed that needs serious disciplining. This could be interesting)

clarabelle fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 17, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tell him to get a goldfish. Newfies are not a 'I work full time and have no room' kind of dog.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
Here is a neat article a friend on facebook posted about Leonberger genetics. Thought this thread might enjoy it.

http://www.astraean.com/borderwars/2012/01/unexpected-leonberger-diversity.html

Also here are the two giants I dog-sat last weekend :)

Avalanche is the big doofy Saint Bernard. He is about 11 or 12 and has skin issues and ear issues and drool issues but he is a giant huggable bear dog.

Greta is the doberman. She's a huge hyper puppy and loves to bound around like a deer, play tug, and chew on Avalanche's face. She really loves to chew on his face.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I started to type "Dobermans aren't -giant- doggies :colbert:"

Then I noticed she was the size of the saint behind her. That's a big girl. And that saint is everything a saint should be. :3:

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
I actually was hesitant to post them here because I know they are so much smaller than most everyone else's danes and such. But yeah, she's humongous. And she's only just now a year old so she has a little more growing up to do.

I'm so used to Moxie I was almost overwhelmed by the sheer dog mass in that house. Mox is like..50 pounds at her fattest. She comes up to my knee. I couldn't sit on the couch around Avalanche and Greta because the one time I did Avalanche sat on top of me and I was afraid I was going to die.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Cassiope posted:

I actually was hesitant to post them here because I know they are so much smaller than most everyone else's danes and such. But yeah, she's humongous. And she's only just now a year old so she has a little more growing up to do.

I'm so used to Moxie I was almost overwhelmed by the sheer dog mass in that house. Mox is like..50 pounds at her fattest. She comes up to my knee. I couldn't sit on the couch around Avalanche and Greta because the one time I did Avalanche sat on top of me and I was afraid I was going to die.

Aww, couch lovin's are one of the great rewards of giant breed ownership. I was piled on the middle of the couch with a Dane on each end last night. :3:

Also, that Dobie is gorgeous, and she's welcome in this thread anytime. I think I put a "30% bigger than normal" exception for giants, and I'm pretty sure she qualifies :allears:

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
HEY GUYS IT SNOWED! SNOW SNOW SNOW I LOVE SNOW

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I dropped by my shelter today to deliver delicious donuts to the employees (if you ever have a spare moment to do this, do it, it makes their day). Of course I perused the dog kennels, and I came upon this dog:

She's a white Dane, and she's deaf. Poor girl, if only I had the time/space/money for a big, deaf dog. :smith:

edit: vvv Awesome. :3:

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 21, 2012

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Skizzles posted:

I dropped by my shelter today to deliver delicious donuts to the employees (if you ever have a spare moment to do this, do it, it makes their day).

I bake when I'm stressed. Normally I just bring stuff in to share with my classmates. I think I know what I'll be doing with the products of my next stress-baking extravaganza

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Skizzles posted:

I dropped by my shelter today to deliver delicious donuts to the employees (if you ever have a spare moment to do this, do it, it makes their day). Of course I perused the dog kennels, and I came upon this dog:

She's a white Dane, and she's deaf. Poor girl, if only I had the time/space/money for a big, deaf dog. :smith:

edit: vvv Awesome. :3:

Aww, she's gorgeous. Given her appearance and her deafness she's probably a double merle.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Almost definitely. I hope somebody experienced with deaf dogs picks her up, because she's a lovely girl.

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

What a pretty puppy. What do you do as a bridge for a deaf dog? I've talked to some pinniped trainers about what they do with a low-vision sea lion but I can't imagine how you'd get a deaf dog to know they did the right behavior unless they're always facing you.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Some people use a vibration collar to get their attention, and then rely on hand signals.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Aww, couch lovin's are one of the great rewards of giant breed ownership. I was piled on the middle of the couch with a Dane on each end last night. :3:

Also, that Dobie is gorgeous, and she's welcome in this thread anytime. I think I put a "30% bigger than normal" exception for giants, and I'm pretty sure she qualifies :allears:

In that case here are a couple pictures (shamelessly stolen from Facebook) of Greta's favorite activity: sitting on Avalanche.

These dogs are awesome :)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Any tips on getting a Dane to gain weight? Sunday went to the vet and they said she could probably put on ten pounds or so. She's been eating 8 cups a day for the past several months but I can't seem to get her to eat any more than that.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Oatmeal. Make it in the microwave, throw a pat of butter in it and let it cool a bit, cause they will shovel it down. Mine pester me for theirs every morning now. I mix it with their food and they love it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yeah, what's she look like, first?

Secondly, Super has an awesome recipe for satin balls that fattens Amy's dumb rear end right up when she decides she wants to give Balen half her food. Lemme go find it.

E: There we go. Huge post:

Superconsndar posted:

It's got a really high iodine content, calcium content, and has tons of trace minerals. It's amazing for conditioning coats and will help make your doggy pretty and shiny. :3:

So today I made Satin Balls. My recipe gets thrown around a lot in PI because it's a modification of the traditional recipe that I'd settled on after several years of trial and error with different variations of the base recipe.

Satin Balls were originally created by show ladies to condition dog's coats before shows. They're also commonly used as supplements for nursing mothers, and for weight gain. They're great for keeping weight on senior dogs and for bulking up dogs that are a little too lean.

For the average dog, you don't want to use them too often as meal replacements, because they're insanely calorie dense and put weight on like just about nothing else. In my case, I give my low-energy Boston one small one twice a week as a general supplement because it keeps his coat looking amazing. My pit bull gets them as meals a few times a week because he's verrrrry active- between being biked several miles a day and being worked on a springpole for about an hour a day (more on weekends) hiking, swimming- he needs a lot of protein and a lot of calories to keep his weight up and build muscle. In that respect, they're GREAT as a general supplement and meal replacement for performance dogs.

This is the standard, "base" recipe that most variations are derived from:

10 pounds ground beef (highest fat content available)
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil
1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

It's alright, and it does work, but over the years I modified mine until it became the following:
10 pounds ground beef (highest fat percentage available)
10 eggs with shells
1 big huge box of Total cereal, crushed
1 pound of ground flax
1 pound of coconut oil (I heat it a bit since it's usually too solid to mix at room temperature)
1 pound wheat germ
1 container of Solid Gold Seameal. (If you can't find this, or if it's too expensive, you can substitute with about a pound of kelp powder.)
1 jar of blackstrap molasses (or just plain unsulfured molasses, if you can't find blackstrap)
10 packets of Knox unflavored gelatin

Flax for omega 3's- even ground flax is not digested or absorbed well by dogs, but I tried it with fish oil once and the smell was just too much, so settled on flax anyway. It seems to work fine, and as an added bonus, it works really well as a binder to help hold everything together.

Seameal added again as a coat conditioner- its basically overpriced kelp with a few ground fruits mixed in, but for some reason, it just worked better than plain kelp. I dunno. Just does. :geno:

Coconut oil I add because again, I noticed a huge boost in coat condition when I did. It's a "good" fat and blah blah blah it makes dogs pretty, feed it to them. I also add it because the recipe is too dry without it and if I need something to wet it down a bit, it might as well be moisture in the form of delicious, nutritious fats.

That's what I've done for a while, but the inclusion of the Total cereal always bothered me- it's full of indigestible and commonly allergenic grains, and it's got preservatives that would cause me to walk away if I saw them on a dog food ingredient list. It's included in the recipe basically as a multivitamin, binder, and bulker, and I wanted something with better ingredients with the same benefits. So, I changed up the recipe a bit again this time.

THINGS:

Also, beef. Dump your beef in a big container. Big enough to mix 10+ pounds worth of stuff in. A Beef Bin.

Then, put all your stuff in it. Molasses:

Wheat germ. I have tried so, so many times to find a substitute for wheat germ because I hate added wheat to my dog's food. I gave up because leaving it out or substituting it throws the whole recipe off. The entire point of satin balls is to create a sudden coat "bloom," and without wheat germ, it doesn't happen. So, wheat in my dog food. Blah.

In it goes:

Gelatiiineeeeee. Add it. 10 packets.

This is what I decided to try this time as a substitute for total. It does contain wheat, but considerably less, and since it's mostly oatmeal, I decided to leave out my usual carton of oatmeal too.

That takes care of the bulk and fiber, but you want to replace that multivitamin too. Any crushed dog multi would probably work, but I decided to try this stuff:

Gimmicky labeling, whatever, it's basically a bunch of powdered fruits, veggies, and herbs, and some random vitamins and minerals and probiotics. Better than Total Cereal, at any rate.

Coconut oil- I scale the amount I use depending on the batch. Ideally a whole 1lb container, but sometimes that ends up being a bit too much so I cut it back. As long as everything mixes well and isn't too soft, it's all good. It's solid at room temperature so I usually heat it just to the point of becoming liquid before I add it. I'll solidify again once it cools, which will also help bind everything.

Flaaaaaaaaaax

10 eggs with shells. The shells are there in the original recipe to balance the calcium/phosphorus levels but in reality, 1) egg shell in that form is not particularly digestible 2) 10 egg shells really doesn't balance out 10 pounds of meat, plus eggs. You'd be better off adding a powdered calcium supplement. (9-1200 mg of calcium per pound of meat,) however, since this is just for intermittent feeding/supplementation and not a total diet, we don't really give a crap and aren't going to be anal about balancing things. So add calcium, or don't, your call. If you're giving it to puppies I probably would, otherwise eh.

I also left out Seameal, 1) because everyone in town was out of it :mad: and 2) I recently started supplementing daily with kelp on its own so it would have been overkill at this point. In most cases though, you'll want to add either the Solid Gold Seameal or the equivalent amount of kelp.

Now MIX. Mix until you end up with this:

Then form into balls:

Ones about fist size are what I normally do for dogs over about 30 pounds. Scaled up and down according to the size of the dog, just eyeball it.

Now. Locate a pet:

Ball?

to have the ball, you must first Leave The Ball

only then may you become one with the ball

Locate another pet:

:stare: feed it before it infects you with whatever is wrong with it

:gonk:

Don't leave out your relatives horrible, obese chihuahua. He is on a diet because they won't stop feeding him bullshit, and shouldn't be eating satin balls of all things, but he's lost a ton of weight so he can have a small treat I guess It's not my dog so whatever

Smell the Balls

It makes a bunch. I portion and freeze and then take them out and thaw as needed.

From http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439122

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 24, 2012

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUNDAY!!!!!!!

I can't believe my baby is a year old... I feel like we just brought her home yesterday. She was the cutest loving puppy I've ever seen in my life. She was 8lbs when we brought her home.

And now she's a giant beast who still thinks she's 8lbs. This is her this morning... I wanted to take a picture of her in the same pose as the one of her sitting on the red couch (our living room couch in the first picture, but now officially Sunday's personal couch), but she is absolutely not a "morning dog" and was groggy and annoyed that I wanted to take her picture. I could not get her to sit pretty for the life of me.

Happy birthday little girl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Holy gently caress, there are not enough :3:'s enough for this picture!