Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Gastropexy is kind of a sensitive topic. Some people get it done, some don't, but it seems unecessary to me to do surgery on the dog just for that purpose unless the vet's recommending it be done. Still, I'd ask your vet and see what they think about it. And Sunday's breeder. See what her history is like, see if it's ever happened to any of their dogs/their line and see what their opinion is on it.

I know at my school, they recommend that a gastropexy be done at the time of spaying/neutering for high-risk breeds. Yes, it involves an extra/longer incision, but the opinion there is that it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Veruca Salt posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel either way. I'll talk to my vet about it, who specializes in Great Danes. We haven't had Sunday spayed yet, since my vet recommended that we do it after her first heat cycle. Have you guys heard of this? Also I've only had little dogs before Sunny... what is a Dane cycle like? :ohdear:

There does seem to be one paper that's commonly cited on the topic of breed and GDV rate. It says:

quote:

However, certain breeds, such as the Great Dane, had a higher lifetime risk of developing GDV (42.4%) or dying of GDV (12.6%). These estimates are conservative, because the mean (± SD) age of the dogs at the start of this 5-year prospective study was only 3.2 ± 2.5 years, and the incidence of GDV increased with age.

It's fairly old (2000), and I didn't read it over with a fine-toothed comb so maybe there's something flawed with the methodology despite it surviving peer review, but if you assume those numbers are correct I think a gastropexy would be a good idea given those odds. She's young, and she'll be under for her spay anyway. Although the risk from anaesthesia is never 0, her risk of developing complications from the anaesthesia is low, whereas the risk of her having GDV sometime in her life seems alarmingly high.