Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Does anybody else ride them like a pony when playing tug? It drives Ephy crazy because I'll be tugging under her chest or to the side and she always tries to skedaddle when I "sit" on her back. Very much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

What a pretty puppy. What do you do as a bridge for a deaf dog? I've talked to some pinniped trainers about what they do with a low-vision sea lion but I can't imagine how you'd get a deaf dog to know they did the right behavior unless they're always facing you.

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Oh hey have my BIG OL' DOG :3:

In her battle gear

Expensive new cameras are for taking emotionally expressive pictures of your pets, right?

Everyone I know says she's the biggest dog that they've seen, but after reading this thread she's just not big enough...

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

So good to remember that when my Ridgeback mix gives me this look like being outside is the WORST THING EVER... despite it never going below 45 degrees here, things could always be worse. She looks just like this.

:3: Ridgebacks and their floppy ears

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

vacation in merica posted:

Well I stopped taking him to the dog park and started to just take them on hikes, but we were camping a few weeks and I took our dogs on a 4 1/2 mile hike around a lake. As I'm coming back to the campsite an offleash Labrador just strolls on up and tries biting Flash on the face :doh:

He's been to a few shows already and done fine, other than the actual showing part. When the judges go to examine his grapes he just sits on their hands. When I was in Denver a couple of people commented on the fact that he was just sitting down calmly next to me surrounded by dogs, and how their Ridgeback would have been freaking out at that age.

We've worked on the obedience stuff a little, and he's not 18 months yet and we were advised not to start any sort of lure coursing or other strenuous physical activity before then.
I got my Ridgeback mix when she was 18 months and I fear that it was too late to ever properly socialize her. I feel ya on the inability to go to dog parks/beaches, but after a while it no longer becomes all that big a deal. There's a good amount of remote beaches and quiet times of the day to take her out without running into other dogs. She mostly loves other dogs, but if one decides to bit her in the face she has no hesitation in biting them back. From what people have said, it's partially that Ridgebacks just aren't that friendly of a breed in general.

Here's some lovely camera phone photos of her being a big sulky baby.

Cow bones are soooo boring.

And this crib mattress (Thanks big dog thread people for the idea!!) is a perfect platform for dramatic sighs.

Gonktastic fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

It's pretty common for large dogs to have knee/leg issues as they age, right? Our Ephy has limped after runs for a while now, so we've stopped running, but is now starting to limp even after lengthy walks. She's about 4.5 years old now, and hovers between 85 and 90 lbs, so she's juust on the threshold of "whoa that's a big dog". Our best bet is Rhodesian Ridgeback/??/Dane mix, or maybe some kind of large shepherd. I always thought mutts were less susceptible to specific genetic disorders due to hybrid vigor, and the vet seems to agree it's general wear on the joints.

I'm scheduling another vet appointment, but just want to know what other people have experienced and if it's pretty normal. Also, what do you do to accommodate a sore leg on an otherwise perfectly energetic and happy dog? She's mostly thrilled to snore on her heating pad all day, chew on a bone, and go for a walk but she definitely loooves to run and then pays for it later.

We also have stairs into our apartment that are unavoidable that she won't climb when sore. She is heavy. :(