Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Scionix posted:

Does a chunky boxer count? He's about 75 pounds, and I'd love to photo dump :3:

(he's not fat, he's just goddamn huge)

OP should stipulate a minimum size requirement :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

re: elevated dishes, this article says that greyhounds at least don't use them during their racing careers, so it's probably okay. I will probably ask other owners and see what they say. I've actually heard raised bowls can increase the risk of bloat, which is mentioned here. I think the real key though is to make sure they don't do any strenuous exercise soon before or after eating.

Racing greyhounds also eat in their crates, almost always lying down. The real way the tracks prevent bloat is by fasting the dogs on race day.

I don't use a raised feeder because of the risk of bloat, I do it because my dog's legs start to shake when he has to eat something on the ground for any extended period of time. As they get older, eating from a bowl on the ground can become painful for their joints.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

My lady is pretty young, but I'll keep an eye out and adjust if she's having any problems. Thanks.

Husker was 3 when we adopted him, and he's always had issues bending down to eat if it was on a slick floor (like in the kitchen). Then again, he's quite large for a greyhound, and his balance isn't the best. A more petite dog would probably have fewer issues.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Abby now officially weighs more than Husker, by the way ;)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I think Abby is the biggest female our group has adopted out in quite a while. They had an 80 pounder once.

Husker was 79.5ish before his surgery. Our group had an 80-lb female at one point as well, but the biggest grey they've ever adopted was a male who raced at 90.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Not a Dane, but Husker is kind of quietly/gently jealous too. All our friends' dogs are small, too, so you have to bend down or kneel to pet them, and he comes over and uses his size to melt his way in.

I'm wondering what he'll do when Aslan the 3-month-old GSD puppy gets tall and can't be smooshed out of the way as easily :allears:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

uptown posted:

He's got really great teeth for a Greyhound, wow. Do you brush?

I'm always jealous of her teeth when actionjackson posts pictures that show them. Husker's are permanently stained and have been since before I got him, so even if I take really good care of them they look kind of gross. The vet suspects he may have been a bar chewer at the track, since they're extremely worn for a dog his age.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Ramps were mentioned - I bought one for Husker after his amputation, and he refused to even attempt it. I've still got it lying around the house. I'm out of the country for a while, but when I get back, I would love to pass it along to someone whose dog might use it.

Should I post again in here when I'm back in the States and have access to it?

It's rated for up to 200 lbs and folds up to about the size of a carry-on suitcase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How wide is it? Though I'm sure someone would be happy to have it.

Husband just flat out built one for the danes. Whenever the carpet gets tacked down on it I'll get a picture of them using it.

20" wide by 70" long. A little bit of the width is a raised plastic lip, but most of it is usable surface with a grit-type traction material.