Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

adventure in the sandbox posted:

We met a guy with a Great Pyrenees yesterday in our neighborhood. That fuckin dag was HUGE. Freakish huge. Here's a picture to kind of give an idea:

The upper red line is where the dog's back would reach if I was that woman, I'm 5'6". The lower blue line is where my 7-month German shepherd pups' backs reached. HUGE FUCKIN DOG. He is 4 years, and the guy said that last year he weighed 150 lbs! I patted his head and it felt all lumpy and deformed :(

Chief was around 110 at his first birthday. :3:

Pyrenees are awesome, but I can't imagine dealing with one inside a house :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Danes are on my fantasy list of dogs to own someday. I've never met one I didn't get along with. Their short lifespans bother me, but their awesomeness makes up for it.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If a great dane breeder isn't asking you if you can deal with your dog dead at 4 due to undiscovered heart failure or your dog only living to 6 or 7 just.. due to genetics and luck of the draw, and constantly reminding you how short lived the breed is, I would dislike that breeder. :colbert:

No. Oh god no. No no noooooooooooo. I thought their lifespans were 7-10, and that was bad enough. 4-6 because of heart failure? gently caress no, I'd pretty much die. I think I'll leave Danes to people who can handle that, because oh my god I certainly couldn't. :(

Edit: I am super grateful that my breed is so long lived now. 16+ with minimal health problems for a medium sized dog? Yes, thank you.

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 30, 2011

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Hello big dog thread (I keep forgetting there is a big dog thread)

Here is my Pyrenees. He guards my goats and pigs. His name is Boot.

In July, we got a Pyr/Anatolian cross to raise as his partner. Her name is Belle.

She just turned 16 weeks (and is in an awkward phase) but she is already bigger than my pit bulls.

She's bigger than Boot was at the same age, and he is A Big Dog. She gonna be Big Belle. :3:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Is it okay for him to play with the goats like that

:)

go to your crate

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

Who let you adopt a bear?

They're easy enough to trap; just leave some fish or berries in a very large dog crate and slam the door shut when they're not looking. Stockholm syndrome sets in quickly after.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Those show pyrs are making me vomit

They cant loving function in a working environment with that coat just no

If mine had coats like that I'd euth myself over the amount of effort they require to not be horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

My beautiful, wonderful boy Balen just passed away this evening at the age of 11 years and 347 days. He would have been 12 on the 25th. There will never be another like him. I've been posting about that dog for over 8 years in this forum, PI. I'll miss it.

I'll miss him.

I'm having my house renovated to sell and lived with Fluffy Bunnies and this Good Dog for just shy of 6 months, from November of last year to April of this year. It breaks my heart that I was not there when he left. I can not begin to articulate to you guys the lengths she went to for this dog. He's been falling apart for a good while now and she absolutely wore herself out keeping him happy and comfortable. He's been incontinent for a while, she just carefully cleaned him up and helped him get out to potty when his back end failed, she spent so many sleepless nights cooking giant pots of food for him on the off chance that it would buy him some more time, ya'll just have no idea. Him making it this long is 10000000% because of Fluffy Bunnies.

I've known ten zillion dogs in my life. There never has been and never will be another Balen. He was just One Of Those Dogs.