Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

...Holy gently caress that's a lot of puppy. That's what Amy weighed in at 11 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BroccoliIntolerant posted:

I'm sat reading this lot whilst my girl is undergoing emergency surgery, looking at the giant is helping...
So, I think it's about time I shared all my puppies (past and present)
PHOTO HEAVY
My boy Rock AKA Sir Ponsonby Grafton, who's had to put up with all the girls, he's a 4yo Neapolitan X Great Dane

Here's Scarlet, she left me several years ago now, she was a Presa Canario and a whole serious lot of dog

This exquisite specimin is Deedee, she was a rescue Neapolitan Mastiff, with the BIGGEST personality as you can tell by her 'I shall take my tea on the dirt track Jeeves' expression

She died of heartfailure in May we miss her and her jowly humps every, single, day
Here she is surveying her land (she owned the Lake District I'll have you know)

And finally our latest girl who needs thoughts as she's been rushed in for emergency surgery for Bloat tonight (out of surgey and doing ok) the Doodle or Bitch Flaps as we call her, a resuce Neapolitan

Sorry about the size, I'm at work and it won't let me edit them

:smith: I hope things work out for her. Bloat is awful to deal with.

You've got/had some gorgeous pups, though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yeah, when the dogs go to the vet, they get a cheeseburger from burger king for being good and putting up with everything. Just, you know, plain and all. It's like $2 and it makes them so happy.

Balen takes it in one bite and looks up at me like 'hm, that's all, is it?'. At least Amy has to chew a couple of times.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Like my new bling?

I just like your dog and his goofy face. But that is a nice bit of bling.

E: Rule 1 about owning (and consoling) great danes. They are lapdogs. "But surely you jest, Fluffy Bunnies!" you say to yourself. "A dog that size couldn't possibly fit in your lap!"

They don't. They do after they adjust you, however.

She was absolutely crushed that her kimono robe thing didn't fit. Kaydee was still prancing around in hers. I took Amy's off. She crawled into my lap and laid there for like fifteen minutes, occasionally burying her face against me when Kaydee came near. It's not my fault you're so big Amy. :(

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 5, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Every stupid rear end dane puppy I've ever known hates water unless they're bathed religiously when they're tiny or an oddball. but I'm glad she's learned! :3:

E: For the record, we just took Amy out to the ocean and threw her rear end in it. Husband waded out with her. She learned to swim a little. Then she dove into his arms and clung to him for dear life. He laughed like a maniac and carried her 120 pound rear end back to shore. It was something out of loving Scooby Doo, I swear. She's an 'okay' swimmer now. Balen got knocked over by some waves and he won't go within 25 feet of the ocean anymore either.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Does anyone else's Danes/other big dogs CONSTANTLY use their paws like they are hands? Sunday uses her paws for EVERYTHING, which means that usually she is punching me in the face, bitch slapping little Cooper or the cat, or just generally smacking poo poo around. I've never seen a dog use its paws so much. She does it when she's investigating something, when she wants attention, when she's playing, when she's cuddling... just all the time. How can I get her to stop?? It hurts like a motherfucker when a 100lb puppy slams its enormous foot in your face but I can't seem to get her to not do it.

Danes do that. v:shobon:v . If there's something Balen wants or he's trying to get my attention, he reaches a paw out and gently paws at me. Amy does the same. Amy though, god, she's ten times worse about it than Balen. Before she got so heavy you could throw the ball to her and she'd smack it away then go chase it.

The punching in the face thing really does lower as they get older. I imagine you could train it out like any other unwanted behavior but I just trained the danes to do things with it (shake/high five/dancing/etc) and deal with the rare, accidental punch to the face.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

No walks, keep her inside away from any males, crate her when you're away, etc. How's her goofy run doing?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Give a dane a pizzle. Watch a dane take five minutes to figure out what the gently caress it is (it's been a while), then take two minutes to utterly destroy it.

Great danes, best danes.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Must Love Dogs posted:

Dear God please say you have video of this, or at least photos.

I do not. But have some 'dane beach pictures to tide ( :haw: ) you over:

Balen going out with husband.

"Oh man is this how we swim? This is the best thing ever!"

rear end, wet.

Balen in

Amy out

The ground disappears beneath her paws

Human buoy

Good girl! You can do it!

...Er.

Well, sorta like that!

Okay maybe you really do suck at swimming.

At this point husband was laughing so hard it was ridiculous. There was practically noone out there, but a couple of the older women on the beach were giggling.

Coming back in

Mocking Amy. Such a dick :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ah, the 'what the gently caress puppy, did you sprout another 10 inches overnight?' phase. They eat everything. Wood is the best tasting stuff ever. Our brand new furniture has gnaw marks from Amy's puppyhood stupidity.

Buy lots of chew toys, find out what he likes, then stock up a shitload of those. Amy was all about stuffed animals with the lamby/wooly type fleece on the fronts.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:sigh: Amythest broke her tail. She was wagging so gleefully and then WHACK, right into the side of the kennel. Happy tail blood flew all over the drat hotel room. It's just the tip and it's healing fine. The local vet thinks it's no big deal and I'm inclined to agree.

But god it's awful scrubbing your dog's blood off the walls.

E: On a happier note, we got Papa John's and husband is seeing if the dogs are into peppers. The green jalapenos you get. They are giving him the filthiest looks.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Your floors are the ideal example of what happens when you mix wood and big dogs :3: Clementine is such a pretty girl.

Thank god we've got (gorgeous) tile this time.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tell him to get a goldfish. Newfies are not a 'I work full time and have no room' kind of dog.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I started to type "Dobermans aren't -giant- doggies :colbert:"

Then I noticed she was the size of the saint behind her. That's a big girl. And that saint is everything a saint should be. :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Almost definitely. I hope somebody experienced with deaf dogs picks her up, because she's a lovely girl.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yeah, what's she look like, first?

Secondly, Super has an awesome recipe for satin balls that fattens Amy's dumb rear end right up when she decides she wants to give Balen half her food. Lemme go find it.

E: There we go. Huge post:

Superconsndar posted:

It's got a really high iodine content, calcium content, and has tons of trace minerals. It's amazing for conditioning coats and will help make your doggy pretty and shiny. :3:

So today I made Satin Balls. My recipe gets thrown around a lot in PI because it's a modification of the traditional recipe that I'd settled on after several years of trial and error with different variations of the base recipe.

Satin Balls were originally created by show ladies to condition dog's coats before shows. They're also commonly used as supplements for nursing mothers, and for weight gain. They're great for keeping weight on senior dogs and for bulking up dogs that are a little too lean.

For the average dog, you don't want to use them too often as meal replacements, because they're insanely calorie dense and put weight on like just about nothing else. In my case, I give my low-energy Boston one small one twice a week as a general supplement because it keeps his coat looking amazing. My pit bull gets them as meals a few times a week because he's verrrrry active- between being biked several miles a day and being worked on a springpole for about an hour a day (more on weekends) hiking, swimming- he needs a lot of protein and a lot of calories to keep his weight up and build muscle. In that respect, they're GREAT as a general supplement and meal replacement for performance dogs.

This is the standard, "base" recipe that most variations are derived from:

10 pounds ground beef (highest fat content available)
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil
1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

It's alright, and it does work, but over the years I modified mine until it became the following:
10 pounds ground beef (highest fat percentage available)
10 eggs with shells
1 big huge box of Total cereal, crushed
1 pound of ground flax
1 pound of coconut oil (I heat it a bit since it's usually too solid to mix at room temperature)
1 pound wheat germ
1 container of Solid Gold Seameal. (If you can't find this, or if it's too expensive, you can substitute with about a pound of kelp powder.)
1 jar of blackstrap molasses (or just plain unsulfured molasses, if you can't find blackstrap)
10 packets of Knox unflavored gelatin

Flax for omega 3's- even ground flax is not digested or absorbed well by dogs, but I tried it with fish oil once and the smell was just too much, so settled on flax anyway. It seems to work fine, and as an added bonus, it works really well as a binder to help hold everything together.

Seameal added again as a coat conditioner- its basically overpriced kelp with a few ground fruits mixed in, but for some reason, it just worked better than plain kelp. I dunno. Just does. :geno:

Coconut oil I add because again, I noticed a huge boost in coat condition when I did. It's a "good" fat and blah blah blah it makes dogs pretty, feed it to them. I also add it because the recipe is too dry without it and if I need something to wet it down a bit, it might as well be moisture in the form of delicious, nutritious fats.

That's what I've done for a while, but the inclusion of the Total cereal always bothered me- it's full of indigestible and commonly allergenic grains, and it's got preservatives that would cause me to walk away if I saw them on a dog food ingredient list. It's included in the recipe basically as a multivitamin, binder, and bulker, and I wanted something with better ingredients with the same benefits. So, I changed up the recipe a bit again this time.

THINGS:

Also, beef. Dump your beef in a big container. Big enough to mix 10+ pounds worth of stuff in. A Beef Bin.

Then, put all your stuff in it. Molasses:

Wheat germ. I have tried so, so many times to find a substitute for wheat germ because I hate added wheat to my dog's food. I gave up because leaving it out or substituting it throws the whole recipe off. The entire point of satin balls is to create a sudden coat "bloom," and without wheat germ, it doesn't happen. So, wheat in my dog food. Blah.

In it goes:

Gelatiiineeeeee. Add it. 10 packets.

This is what I decided to try this time as a substitute for total. It does contain wheat, but considerably less, and since it's mostly oatmeal, I decided to leave out my usual carton of oatmeal too.

That takes care of the bulk and fiber, but you want to replace that multivitamin too. Any crushed dog multi would probably work, but I decided to try this stuff:

Gimmicky labeling, whatever, it's basically a bunch of powdered fruits, veggies, and herbs, and some random vitamins and minerals and probiotics. Better than Total Cereal, at any rate.

Coconut oil- I scale the amount I use depending on the batch. Ideally a whole 1lb container, but sometimes that ends up being a bit too much so I cut it back. As long as everything mixes well and isn't too soft, it's all good. It's solid at room temperature so I usually heat it just to the point of becoming liquid before I add it. I'll solidify again once it cools, which will also help bind everything.

Flaaaaaaaaaax

10 eggs with shells. The shells are there in the original recipe to balance the calcium/phosphorus levels but in reality, 1) egg shell in that form is not particularly digestible 2) 10 egg shells really doesn't balance out 10 pounds of meat, plus eggs. You'd be better off adding a powdered calcium supplement. (9-1200 mg of calcium per pound of meat,) however, since this is just for intermittent feeding/supplementation and not a total diet, we don't really give a crap and aren't going to be anal about balancing things. So add calcium, or don't, your call. If you're giving it to puppies I probably would, otherwise eh.

I also left out Seameal, 1) because everyone in town was out of it :mad: and 2) I recently started supplementing daily with kelp on its own so it would have been overkill at this point. In most cases though, you'll want to add either the Solid Gold Seameal or the equivalent amount of kelp.

Now MIX. Mix until you end up with this:

Then form into balls:

Ones about fist size are what I normally do for dogs over about 30 pounds. Scaled up and down according to the size of the dog, just eyeball it.

Now. Locate a pet:

Ball?

to have the ball, you must first Leave The Ball

only then may you become one with the ball

Locate another pet:

:stare: feed it before it infects you with whatever is wrong with it

:gonk:

Don't leave out your relatives horrible, obese chihuahua. He is on a diet because they won't stop feeding him bullshit, and shouldn't be eating satin balls of all things, but he's lost a ton of weight so he can have a small treat I guess It's not my dog so whatever

Smell the Balls

It makes a bunch. I portion and freeze and then take them out and thaw as needed.

From http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439122

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 24, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

rear end Crackers! posted:

Holy gently caress, there are not enough :3:'s enough for this picture!

Don't they just start out as the cutest little potatos? :3: Happy Birthday Sunday. And Abby. I hope she's doing better with her UTI (or was it a kidney infection? bladder infection?)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

All dog food has different calorie measurements, so it's kind of hard to tell if he's getting enough. What're you feeding him?

And a picture will help when you can get a good one.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Riscas posted:

We feed him eagle pack large breed adult which is what the breeder suggested and feeds all her dogs.

Edit: the half a can of wet is a random flavor of alpo. I'll try to get a better picture.

Ugh, I had a huge post typed out to you then I closed the window: :doh:

For starters, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394882 . Eagle Pack isn't the worst food out there but it's definitely not the best. Good breeders usually feed an 'okay' food simply because of how much it costs to feed so many danes. My breeders on both sides feed nutro and I wouldn't touch the stuff these days. If you really want to stay Eagle Pack for dry, maybe consider going to something like Wellness or Blue Buffalo for wet? Alpo is nothing but garbage and you're wasting your money, man. So I won't be including it in the calorie count.

Speaking of, I'm curious. Why are you mixing wet and dry for him?

And are you sure you're measuring the food out right? According to your post you're feeding him sixteen cups of food per day. That's over 6000 kcal. Your dog should be the size of a cow, puppy or not, unless he's running 10-20 miles a day. Puppies need more but my adult danes get between 1500 and 2000kcal a day to give you an idea.

In any case, yeah puppies are usually ribby and gangly and made of goofy looking points. Sunday, a few posts back, can easily show off her rib cage outline in most of those pictures and she's a couple pounds heavy for my taste in danes. She's 12 months old. I can easily see one or two points of my dogs' spines and the outlines of their ribcage/waist. The vets I've used are happy about proper weight danes because a dane overweight can really, really put stress on joints and bones that really don't need it. You know?

But I know you're having some issues getting pictures to upload. Here's a comparison-

This dog is really thin, going on emaciated. You can see the ribs clearly, the spine, the hip points without really trying:

This, on the other hand, is generally the shape you're going to want to start seeing now or very soon with your dane, and this looks like a younger dog. You can see a slight rib or two, there's a visible waistline, the body is well fleshed and the dog looks as if it could go all day:

This is the typical great dane you see running around. It is overweight, though not obese or anything like that. It's also an older dane, but it's the only one I could really find. Losing 5-10 pounds wouldn't hurt this dog at all:

E: :gonk: Tables! Sorry!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: Sunday is just so happy to see that guy.

How tall is she now to the withers?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

400 pounds of speckled blue and black couch potato. Guarantee it. And it'll be awesome. Though at about a year they tend to slow down growing a ton. She's probably just about adult sized right now. She might fill out a little bit more, but I think she looks great.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

What kind of dog is that! That isn't a horse! Get that thing out of here! :3: Cooper's so cute.

I think it was a further back picture that I was basing it off of. She looks really good right now. Looking back, I think it's just the angling with her on the bed and sprawly. She looks almost identicle to the ideal picture I posted, actually:

And that's awesome. I think the above picture might have a little more muscle, but it's a dog, not a bitch, too. Sunday looks awesome. I wanna rub her ears.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Oh I wasn't offended by what you said or anything, I just literally have to force myself to not shove food down Sunday's throat when I can see her last couple ribs and remind myself that she's not starving, that's how she's supposed to look!

Also I do all kinds of ridiculous things with Sunday's ears. Like tie them in a knot over her face when she's trying to sleep... she loves me. :3:

Yeah, I pretty much continously have to do the same thing with Balen. He's got an old man ribcage rockin' these days and every now and again I want to compulsively stuff him full of treats. Not that he'd mind.

I think I need proof that Sunday's ears tie in a knot. :colbert:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

I want a Dane. :(

ETA Also I want a greyhound. Abby is the most beautiful creature.

Danes are pretty much heavier oversized dumber greyhounds that are slower. So in other words they are nothing like a greyhound and I have no idea what I'm typing.

Balen's ears are pretty long, but Amy's are bizarro ears (like everything else about Amy) and they'll actually stand straight up if you tug them the right way, and stay like that. I don't think she was a crop job gone horribly bad or anything. She's just got really retarded ears.

She also likes to put them over an eye.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

They're much lighter built than some people expect though. More on the greyhound end of the big dawg spectrum than the mastiff end.

They SHOULD be much lighter built than some people expect but a bunch of assholes are pretty stubborn about making danes 200 pounds or some stupidity and I hate them. :colbert:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Balen is not and has never been fond of doorways. But that's probably because he got his tail crushed as a tiny puppy in his breeder's door. He goes if I asked him to, but he always looks back at me to make sure it's safe the first time he goes through a door. He also hauls rear end away from kitchen sink spray hoses as soon as they're lifted out, not necessarily because of fear, but because he totally knows I'm going to spray him.

Amy still approaches people with her head down, ears back and tail tip wriggling madly between her legs, but at least she approaches them now. She is also absolutely horrified of loud things happening behind her. She'll knock something over with her rear end and go tearing away from it because oh god, scary.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

laprascopic has smaller holes and generally heals up a little faster. It's really just up to you if you wanna pay $400 extra for that.

Yell at them repeatedly about holding her head up while she's unconcious because Sunday is so drat cute and drat it, don't break her while they fix her. :argh:

But I'm glad to see you're doing gastropexy! :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

"Why do I put up with her :smith: "

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Boru posted:

He is technically "brindle-quin" in color: one parent was brindle and the other harlequin.

That doesn't have anything to do with what he is. Otherwise, danes from blue/black breedings would be bluacks, harlequin/blue breedings would be bluelequins or what have you. Brindle-quin is just a way of saying the pup is a mismark, but who gives a poo poo if you aren't going to show and breed? He looks like an awesome dog.

He's a really cute blue merle with crazy mismark brindle patterns on some of his splotches (could I see more of that? I've only ever seen one pup from a brindle/harlequin breeding and there was no marking like that). But drat, that puppy face is freakin' adorable. :3: And he looks so happy about his frisbee.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The problem with advertising mismarked dogs is the same problem with advertising dogs like jackachis or labradoodles. For instance, this person intentionally breeds mismarked dogs and what does she do? http://kissmycocoa.com/Prices.html She jacks up the price. That's where I have a problem with it. These people aren't trying to breed "chocolate" danes to get them color pure so they can produce a new strain and get the registries to accept it (like folks did with the mantle coloration, for instance). They're doing it for profit, selling mismarked dogs with god knows what genetics as "rare" and laughing all the way to the bank because they've found a way to make "mismarked dog" sound cutesy.

Even the great dane club of colorado has this on their faq page:

"3) There are several unethical breeders that charge a higher fee for “unusual” or “rare” colors – rest assured, a “Fawnequin, “ or a “Red Merle,” or a “Piebald” is NOT something desirable in a Great Dane. In fact, it is a clear demonstration that the breeder disregards the breed standard, and should be a MAJOR red flag for you as a consumer."

Basically, it's the sign of an unethical breeder because they're laughing off color code breeding, they're laughing at the dog's standards and they're more worried about cash from the litter than the dog breed improving. On the other hand if you're not looking for a conformation show pup, a mismarked pup is just as good as a "properly" marked pup because you aren't looking for a judge to stare at your dog and declare him or her pretty enough to compete anyway. Just, even if they have full registration through AKC (or your local kennel club) you shouldn't be paying full price for them. Same with merles, too. A brindle pup and a brindle pup with white splotches all over the place shouldn't be sold for the same price from the same litter if the breeder is an ethical breeder. You also probably won't see a full registration on the brindle pup with the white splotches, but the pup could do agility or obedience competition or hunting dog competitions or whatever.

:ohdear: I worry I sound spergy or mean or something with all this. As a disclaimer, can I say I really love merle dogs and think they're gorgeous and wish there was a way to reproduce that blue and black pattern without the genetics issue or the historical cullings or all that terrible stuff? Because really, I really do like the pattern, and a lot of the mismarked patterns (I'd love to see a breeding between harlequins, mantles and brindles to the point of making zebra-y looking danes, for instance) but it's irresponsible to breed them intentionally. And I worry that fancy names for mismarked patterns just kinda encourages it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Is that website really all that marked up? $1000 for a Dane doesn't seem that far off from what most breeders charge.

If you'll notice, she charges more for the "rare" colors. It's not so much the price, but the markup from breed standard colors to the "rare" mismarks that makes it seem kinda labradoodle-ish to me. $1000 for a dane isn't high at all. I was looking at some gorgeous, responsibly bred mantle and harlequin pups (I stumbled across the site while looking for support for that post and :neckbeard: puppies!) that were $1550 with a s/n registration, $1850 for full registration.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That could be a bunch of things. She's going in for her spay sometime very soon, right? You could get that looked at while she's there.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Sunny wanted to show you guys how she suntans at daycare.

Pfft, and people say danes don't like to sun themselves.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: Yeah, that pup is a merle. That black dane may or may not be old (though I suspect he's probably around 5 or so). Some go premature gray, some stay black until the day they die practically. And yeah, a neo mastiff.

Those harlequins are awesome, especially the boy with the giant splotch on his back.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ That dog has got the happiest prickly face.

In the pics Lana looks good, but I know it's hard to tell with black dogs sometimes. As always, I always, always, always super's satin balls. And it never hurts to supplement a dane. I'll edit this with the recipe and some :words: about dane talk because holy god, I was squirming all day wanting to say something. :neckbeard:

Which TOTW do you feed? If it's wetlands/sierra mountain/pacific I'd probably say it'll be pretty mild for her, but the high prairie formula is a heavier formula. Depends on what she's been eating, too.

E: Satin balls recipe is http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3408341&userid=145839&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post399901458 and with Amythest being Amythest, it's always worked good with her. And yeah, that is the worst happytail I've seen.

As for dane genetics, the general opinion is that mastiffs and other dogs of that general build (from that era) were crossed with deerhounds/elkhounds/wolfhounds/greyhounds and so on and so forth until boom, we get the great dane. Some danes, like that one pictured, tend to end up heavier. Then there's lightly built danes that tend to act like lunatics and bounce around at the speed of light. They have slimmer faces, smaller ribcages, etc from what I've seen. I've ended up with one of each. And yeah, as someone else said. Eurodanes and American danes look a bit different too.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 23, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Poor little Lana. At best guess I'd say she's a young dog, under two years, but trying to pinpoint a dane's age without any information is usually pointless once they get past having rounded paws and being an armful of dumb, "normal" sized dog/puppy. If it turns out she's a youngster, though, they eat like horses (as you well know) so that's probably not helping her skinnyness at all. I hope if this ends up being a reunion that she was an accidental runaway, not that they just got rid of her or something. :smith:

civilian.d posted:

Here's my last Dane w/ my mom, big silly brindle named Felix. This photo is from about 2003 (maybe 2 weeks before he died :cry: )

I'll dig around and see if I can find more pictures - but wow, was he a wonderful dog. He was the first male Dane my family had, (3 females prior, all fawns) and he was by far the goofiest. His personality was just ridiculous - miss him so much!

Nowadays I have a more long-lived breed - this is Duncan! He's not a giant dog persay, but he's quite big for a lab - over 70 lbs and he's got the giant block-head I love so much... (can you believe he's 15? no grey except his chin, and he still plays like a puppy)

ridin' in the car

posing next to his little lab statue

bathtime!

and pretending he's my lapdog @ christmas last year

(hope that wasn't a derail, figured my dane legitimized my post ;)

Felix had that wonderful regal look old danes get. Such a gorgeous brindley boy.

And bullshit that lab is pretending anything.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Is it normal for my dog to suddenly be a total biatch? :P I swear since Sunday hit a year old in January she is much less affectionate and cuddly, and a lot more independent and aloof. Is she going through a "teenage" phase or are these new traits here to stay?

She's a year old now so she's doing whatever she wants, gently caress you you aren't the police.

Yeah, it's a teen thing. Just wait until she starts acting like she's 4 months old again and being a total rear end in a top hat.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Haha so there's a chance she might go back to being my sweet cuddly puppy again? It's like living with a sixteen year old girl. I swear to God she's practically rolling her eyes at me and saying "MOOOOOOOM"

She might or she might not. They're called bitches for a reason. Amy is the most overly emotional thing ever about everything. But she had the "MOMMMMM :rolleyes: " phase and it only lasted until she was about 3. Then she got crazy emotional about everything.

The day she tore up her favorite stuffed duck ended with her curling up around it in a ball, ears flopped back, occasionally whimpering.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yeah, these are pictures (stolen from video) from the danes at the pool in Okinawa last year:

Yeah, he's underwater. Poor Balen. He was only under for a second.

Amy is a goddamned retard about water sometimes and likes to use other living creatures as buoys. Then she'll randomly start swimming and everything will be fine. It's like a little switch has to flip from 'retard' to 'sensible dog'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The only danger in that video is cuteness overload.

And I totally remember the day Balen saw husband after he'd been gone for a straight freaking year in Iraq. He broke the screen door, dove off the porch and flew straight at his head. Knocked him over, laid on him and wriggled like a puppy for about five minutes. Amy was just an armful of pup. She found a clump of grass and went and hid in it. Took us like 20 minutes to actually find her dumb rear end and as soon as husband picked her up, she peed on him.