Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

gorgeous brindle scythetail snugglepuppin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: I have a 12 year old great dane now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Inspector 34 posted:

Good for you! No sarcasm, that's awesome and I love to hear when danes get to lead long lives.

Our GD is 4.5 years old now and I've discovered that this is the age where everybody starts mentioning how short their life expectancy is whenever you tell them your dog's age. It's kind of hosed up to be honest. Like I know they have good intentions but it gets a little old to have this conversation:

Oh he's so handsome! How old is he?
He'll be 5 in May :-)
Oh, wow you better make the best of the next year or two huh?

Like jesus christ we don't need to discuss my dog's impending death. He's in as good of health as he can be (for a big dog with IBD) but I know his life expectancy is probably lower than most other dogs and probably many other danes. I already know that! Thanks for reminding me. Obviously instead of saying that I just let them know that yes many big dogs and pure breeds have shorter lives, but with improvements in veterinary care and practices and blah blah blah we can can hope for a fair bit more than 6 years of loving our dog, Egon.

People did this to Balen when he was 7. He was just 9 days away from his 12th birthday when he passed.

Amy, the one who turned 12 today (and is on the 1st page of this thread as a 3 year old), has been hearing that kind of stunned language for years now, too.

Given that Lu, the new dane/kid on the block, is 24% related to Amy (according to Embark), I hope to see similar numbers from him, too. Meri, the newfie, has grandparents and great-grandparents reaching 11-13 in his background. His grandparents are still robust in that age range, too.

mattfl posted:

Archer just turned 9 a few months ago

Sure his hips are starting to bother him a little more and he doesn't get zoomies quite as often as he used to, but he's still a big goofy giant 115 pound good doggo whose going to live forever and I'll hear none of this short life span crap!

Archer is going to be 90 when he goes. Because you keep him fit, trim, and awesome as gently caress.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Also don't @ me about the ears. They weren't my choice. My parents did it, I literally wasn't there when they made the choice.

cropped ears are fine

He looks like he was a joy. And don't feel too weird about it. Balen's been dead almost 3 years and it still blows.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

you post a small dragon in the big ol dogs thread. wow, reported.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

he's definitely not a Big Ol Dog but you know what? The thread can definitely have a little brother who is clearly just a growing baby.

I like that dog.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Unfortunately, only the one on the left is mine, but walking them together makes me want more.
It's also interesting to see how she interacts completely different with Danes, compared to other breeds.

On a slightly different note, Hana's is recovering from a toe injury and the doc has suggested using a boot for more difficult terrain.
Anyone here got experience boots for Danes?.

The only ones I trust are muttluks but they cost a fortune. ...but they also last literally forever, too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:smith: sorry about Archer. He was a good lad.

But I do very much like your new little speckly friend :unsmith:

Amythest will be 13 in January if she makes it. She's still able to jump on the bed unassisted, so here's hoping. She's slowed way down over the past few months, but she's like 110 in dog years.

Merinath is a baby at almost 3. All he care about is his favorite toy duck and his best buddy.

Said friend is Luthin, who will be 2 in February. He runs at the speed of light and it's terrifying. He also can jump Meri from a standing start, like a goddamn hurdle. I've never met such an athletic dog and I think he'd have a ton of fun with agility or flyball if I could find somewhere to do it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Amythest is still doddering along. She can still run, though she doesn't do that too much anymore. She hops up on my bed with absolutely no problem and she yells at the other dogs to keep them in line. She's 12 years, 9 months, and 20 days old today. I see some loss of muscle and a little loss of coordination. Sometimes she doesn't wake up when I first gently poke her to get her up to go potty, but she eats her dinner like a champ and she still come over and slings toys in my face when she thinks I've worked too much. She happily goes on the occasional car ride, too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I wouldn't think a golden/poodle/lab mix would be that big. dang.

Moo is still kicking around at 13+ now! She's snoring super loud over here by my desk and kicks both Lu and Meri's asses daily. I hope she lives to be 90.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mattfl posted:

He's 5 months old and just weighed in at 50 pounds. His father was the golden doodle and was pretty big and his mother was the lab. He has far more golden and lab in him than poodle lol

yeah that's my point: the biggest lab I've ever met was 79 pounds. 'He's gonna be a hell of a huge mutt. I like him already.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Happy Birthday Watson!.
I cannot imagine handling an unneutered Dane near a dog in heat.

Meanwhile, Hana turned 7!

you start early and train young. also, vicks under their chin works pretty good.

13 year old Moo is staggering along but I think she'll be headed off to give Balen a good report on the things he's missed out on pretty soon. She's thin, won't gain weight, and her blood work is starting to look rough. She woke me up panting last night because she wanted to go out but I wouldn't get up. But hey, I woke up and we went potty and she thoroughly slurped my arms as a thank you.

She needs a little Mylanta now and then to keep her guts happy, some cbd oil to keep her moving, but she's... I think "okay" is probably a good word for it.

I'd be really surprised if she lasts the summer because she's failing in the heat pretty bad. She reminds me a lot of Balen a couple of months before he went, but I don't know. We'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully I can be there for her the same way I was for him.

IE: Please don't loving die because I went to the grocery store, my sweet dane of chaos.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Erev posted:

I'm currently dogless and may be leaning cats next due to my lifestyle, but here's an old buddy of mine. He was medically problematic and wound up a permanent foster, but the dude just kept on ticking to become our second oldest newf.

Edit: Photos courtesy of family, not my own.

Newfs are just a whole special thing on their own and I love this big lad's big blocky head almost as I love my own. My fluffinator is just over three and a half and I don't see myself without one of these in the future at this point. But Danes still get top billing for me.

Speaking of, Amythest is still trucking. She's got 22 days until she's 13 and a half. Mobility has fallen steeply in the past month and while she can walk on her own, she's in a sling when she goes out for safety reasons and often needs help getting up to a stand. She is very, very delicate at this point and considered to be a terminal pet by the vet (there's nothing left to do for her). She eats like a horse and drinks like a fish. She's still very much herself, but almost all day every day is nap time. The other dane and the newfie love on her, but they keep their distance to play and roughhouse. She's not really up for it anymore, but she's content to get neck scratches and sleep.

She outlived her perennial rival, Kaydasemar'e, as of June 11th. KD got acute kidney failure and passed very, very quickly. Vet said it was genetic and she was incredibly lucky to have lived as long as she did, stating that she was a ticking time bomb from the moment she was born. She was diagnosed on the 20th of May and was surrounded by her dog pals, in her favorite bed, and she was gone in a second flat. I cannot believe this crippled old hellbitch of a dane outlived a 30 pound dog she tried to murder almost 8 years ago, but she sure fuckin did.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 25, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Amythest has been down since Wednesday. She's eating, she's drinking (with assistance) but she's spent the past 24 hours or so doing that pre-death deep sleep. I've been on the floor with her ever since she went down. I don't think she'll make 13.5, but less than a week away is a hell of an accomplishment for a very big girl with murder in her heart.

KD's been gone a month. Maybe Amythest is going for beating her by a month exactly. I don't know.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

She just passed. It was over in about a minute. It wasn't as painless as I could have hoped, but there's only so much you can do about that. There will never be another Amy. And given all the excitement and management she required over her wonderful lifetime, maybe that's sort of a good thing on some level.

And this concludes every single dog on the front page of this thread.

13 years, 5 months, 26 days old. I owned her for 13 years, 4 months, 1 day. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Inspector 34 posted:

Tragic. Sorry for your loss. I know it doesn't help but 13 years of life is a drat blessing for any dog and I hope they were mostly happy days.

Mostly. She was chaos and mayhem and just, one of the best dogs I've ever met. It's weird to take the cloth out of the doors around the house tonight (she'd lock herself in rooms if we weren't home and destroy them if there was thunder, so we started putting rags in the doors so she couldn't close them).