Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Saw this on youtube this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpesu-5izLE

I don't have a giant dog, I have a cocker spaniel who recently had a nasty tangle with the dreaded Bloat. She eventually managed to vomit and went back to normal, but that was a scary couple of hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Clarabelle, I'm glad your pup got through it alright.

It was worse because I'm living in England and she's with my parents in Ireland (she's the family dog, but my brothers and I all moved out, so she's really my parents' dog now). She got the bloat one evening and stopped being able to walk properly (all the gas in her stomach was pushing on an artery and it messed with the blood supply to her brain), she was panting and in an awful state. My mother got down on the floor and just held her for hours. They thought she wouldn't make it through the night, and that if she did, they might have to put her to sleep if she was still suffering. If it'd come to that, they and my brothers would've been able to say their goodbyes, while I'd be stuck here. It's the worst part of emigration, no amount of video chat lets you hug your loved ones for the last time (and given that she's 15, she could go at any time).

As I said, she managed to vomit and was fine again straight away, was able to walk immediately, but it was scary as gently caress. I miss her

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
My brother wants to get a newfie. He works full time and his garden's pretty small. How likely is it that this is going to be an unmitigated disaster?

(He also wants a shiba inu, but given how he spoiled our family dog rotten, I can't see him coping well with a breed that needs serious disciplining. This could be interesting)

clarabelle fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 17, 2012

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Skizzles posted:

I dropped by my shelter today to deliver delicious donuts to the employees (if you ever have a spare moment to do this, do it, it makes their day).

I bake when I'm stressed. Normally I just bring stuff in to share with my classmates. I think I know what I'll be doing with the products of my next stress-baking extravaganza

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Boru posted:

My Dane had something similar when he was a puppy. They looked almost exactly like that and just ended up being somewhat similar to canker sores. Real gross looking, but they just faded away after awhile. It is always best practice to at least mention it to the vet though!

My dog had that too. Canker sores is what we were told. The vet said it's common enough in pure-bred dogs. They went away after about a year

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Great Dane trying and failing to deal with a slippery floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDTiId-RuS4

I love how this giant of a dog is considered a puppy by dane standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Hempuli posted:

Anyway, I just started wondering if there are people here with similar experiences; is diabetes a common disease in large dogs (or perhaps just tibetan mastiffs)? What did you do in a situation like this, and did your dog do well despite losing his/her eyesight?

I didn't have a big dog, but our spaniel started developing cataracts at (I think) 10 years old. At one point she temporarily went completely blind, which was awful because she was bumping into things all the time (we made her a doggy crash helmet so she wouldn't get hurt), but then her sight came back. It's not so bad when it comes on gradually. For a while, she could still get around fine, it just meant things were fuzzy, then later she wouldn't recognise us until we were right up close to her. When her sight went completely, she identified us by smell (she also went deaf). The thing with it happening gradually was that she learned to navigate around the house without good eyesight, so when her sight went completely, she could get around without too much trouble. We'd often see her following a scent trail to find someone. It was only at the very end of her life when her mind was pretty much gone that she started not knowing where she was, which was heartbreaking, we couldn't leave her alone in a room in case she got lost and panicked. But the fact remains, she lived another 5 years, and was (for the most part) perfectly happy

One recommendation I've seen is to put differently scented sachets at the entrances to rooms, so that the dog can identify their location by smell. Best to do that while your dog still has some vision though, it helps them get used to it