Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Large breed folks, are any of you familiar with Developmental Orthopedic Disease (knuckling over) in large breed puppies? There's a poster in the Small Animal Questions megathread with a boxer pup that looks to have the condition. Obviously the pertinent advice is 'go to the vet asap', but if you have any additional experience or advice to offer, I'm sure it would be welcomed. Link to the post here;

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=242#post394539689

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
That was my thought too, just looking at the pics without having read your concerns - there's cow hocks, and then there's feet literally pointing east and west :ohdear:. Her loin is roached up too, which could indicate pain or discomfort even if she isn't giving off anything other than durfy happy puppy signals - that combined with the odd gait you mentioned would definitely make the vet trip high on my list of priorities, if she were in my care. She's cute as heck, btw, I LOVE blue merles :3:. Keep us updated, yeah?

Edit: also, largely for :spergin: reasons, I'd be really interested to see video of her moving at a trot if it weren't too much trouble for you guys, no worries if not though - I'd be reccin' vet either way

notsoape fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 3, 2011

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Yeah, her movement looks off to me - I don't have experience with large breed puppies, so I don't know how much laxity of the hock joint is expected at this age, but I'd be surprised if her rear/movement would be considered typical.

When she's galloping she's doing the half-bound/bunny hop - ok, it's a limited space, but in general she seems off balance and much more tentative on her rear than her front. She has very little drive (push off from the hind foot) either at the gallop or at the trot; her hocks are wobbling all over the place and she isn't opening out easily at the stifle or in her loin (which is staying roached up, which again could indicate pain or discomfort)

I also noticed she paces occasionally (moves the legs on the right side together, then those on the left side - as opposed to the diagonal trot) - that's a gait that can be associated with both poor conformation and painful joint problems, but it's also seen in perfectly healthy, regular dogs all the time (especially longer legged breeds, and especially when they're changing speed and direction as she is) so that doesn't say too much on its own.

In any case, she doesn't trot for very long (and keeps changing direction :3:) so it's hard to read too much into any one component - but the overall picture, IMO, is of a worryingly weak rear which should definitely see a vet asap.

Look at the hocks (back feet and ankle) of this guy coming and going, and see that they still have some laxity, but don't wobble from side to side on impact

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8rd43F53aY

Did the breeder talk to you about Dane joint and mobility issues at all? Had she done health testing on the parents? If she's a show breeder who health tests, it might be worth getting back in touch with her and letting her know what's up with Sunday, and what the vet says at the check-up :).

Also, I can't decide who is durfier; Sunday or the bf :3: