Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
...of ginormous goofy lug-ness. Giant breed owners, represent!

This is Ozzie, and he's awesome. He's 16 months old now...

He started out like this.

And his cuteness was ferocious.

Big sister Sage was less than impressed.

He went to work with me, and claimed the couch.

He chilled in the truck.

He still chills in the truck. Just not as comfortably.

Christmas was fun.

But it made him tired, so naps were needed.

Anybody else wanna show the world how awesome your giant buddies are?

edit: why does it say "poo poo post"? I clicked on "Dogs". Sorry bout that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Skizzles posted:

So how often do people ask you if he's a Dalmation? :downs:

Sorry, I don't have a giant dog, just a large one. :ohdear: But I look forward to seeing giant doggy pics. :allears: I'm sure Fluffy Bunnies will be in here shortly.

Constantly. I have even had some BYB of dalmatians ask if they could breed to him :doh:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
:neckbeard: Balen pictures are what keep me searching through PI. I love the BatDane pic!

I'll get some pics of old lady Sage from yesteryear up on here when I get home this evening. She's around 8 1/2 years old, and currently recovering from a case of the lardbutt. I came to realize that the construction guys working on my house last fall were feeding her pizza everyday, and she became a giant gooshy tub of a Dane. She's been on a good diet since then, tho and is getting her girlish figure back now.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
That's a beautiful Pyrenees. I had one until about 2 years ago. His name was Monkey, and he was also awesome. I'll dig up some pics later. Big ball of fluffy adorableness. I had to let him go, because he finally realized that fences are only a technicality to him, and he kept heading down the road to Bob Evan's. I was afraid he'd get hit, so he went to live with a friends family on a farm a little further out in the country.

They have big lumpy noggins. They're kind've odd dogs, very independant, very intelligent. Lots of personality, and even more light, fluffy, floats-on-every-waft-of-air-and-sticks-to-anything-black-or-fuzzy fur. Their outer coat is unbelievably thick.

Edited for some pics of Monkey I found. He's about 10 months in the older pic.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 29, 2011

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Ahh! Goat buddies! :3: That's where Monkey came from; my uncle had Boer goats and kept Pyrenees with 'em to keep the coyotes away. He absolutely loved to go visit the goats. Odd that even strange goats won't pay a big white fluffy dog any mind, but will go on immediate guard if they saw my Great Dane in the truck.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ozzie looks like a harlequin great dane to me, though he's undesireable as a breeder/show dog because of the grey patches (unless that's camera flash) for the states, anyway. I'm pretty sure the UK/europe would be fine with that. The same goes with that big pink nose. Those light eyes would be bitched about too. Any one of those things could get him anything from a huge mark off in points to a full disqualification because judges are dicks when it comes to dane coloring.

But he's really pretty and looks so drat happy. Who cares about what they bitch about in the breed if you aren't breeding? He's a healthy, happy big lug of a dane, looks to be well sized for his age with good proportions and a very nice head. His facial expressions are still puppy silly, too. :3:

QFT He's got some gray patches, and a little salt-and-pepper hairs on his hindquarters. And he's got the saddest puppy eyes that may have ever been outside of basset hound land :3:

He's a Harley, and by being non-showy, he's the EconoDane! My older dane came from a local sorta-rescue (a lady the vets and shelters call if they get a Dane in), and the momma was almost due when they found her.

He's looked good on all his vet checkups, and he's not had any joint problems other than a week of ankle pain when he hit his first big growth spurt. A lady I know used to work as a large dog midwife in Texas, and she always checks him over for me when she's around. He's a healthy boy. He's going to be good sized, but not hip-splosionly big. I'm gonna get his hips certified when he's a little older just to make sure.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Quick! Look at the puppy!

He liked his ducky.

Here he was hiding from Sage.

D'oh! Didn't work...

Bathtime was not appreciated at first, but he's totally cool with them now.

Dammit, who keeps shrinking the chairs! Amazing what 5 months growth will do.

Worn out from chasing kids on dirt bikes around the yard.

Caught one! Nom nom nom. Children are delicious.

This was from back in December. Sage has a devil mask on the back of her head.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
:razz: Yeah, whoever came up with Scooby Doo really did have Danes. They act just like him, and as god is my witness, they do their best to talk. Mine are very vocal, but not terrible barkers. More warbles and whuffs and wookie noises. Sage keeps a running commentary on everything that happens to her. There is never any question as to her opinion at a given time. Also, they can eat literally anything smaller than themselves, and do it faster than you could possibly believe. Oh, and they act like they're stoned a lot.:350:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
They're cluztes when they're young. It's great to watch Ozzie and Sage run together; she's all smooth and sleek with her stride, and Ozzie's like watching an explosion in an elbow factory. :laugh: He's starting to find his stride now, but he still breaks out in puppy goofy when he's not paying attention. My favorite is that he still wags his whole rear end like a puppy when I've been gone. Since he goes to work with me, and sleeps in the bed with me, it's kinda rare for me to be gone, and boy, does he get excited to see me.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

RazorBunny posted:

OP should stipulate a minimum size requirement :colbert:

Let's say a minimum of 110 lbs, with an exception for any dog more than 20% over "normal" size. If it's not a giant breed, then at least a giant of it's breed :chord:

Oh, and a specific exemption for Scionix, because boxers are awesome and I want pictures. Also, even a normal boxer has giant-sized doofiness. They wag their whole bodies, for pete's sake. :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Man, you get up for 10 seconds and they take your warm spot.

Sage likes to ride. This was from 2008, so she would've been about 5 in this picture.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Some great danes are really, really dry mouthed. Amy only gets a tiny bit of water on you if she's just had a drink. Balen, on the other hand, has lips that cascade waterfalls of drooly water for a good 10 seconds after he drinks. It just depends on how their mouths are set up. I imagine Amy probably WILL drool a little more as she gets older, but my danes don't drool at all unless they've just had a drink. Some drool all over the place like mastiffs/newfies.

They did not pay attention to you because they can be pretty aloof (of course as I'm typing that, Amy sits down and puts her paw on my leg like "hey. HEY"). Specifically, my parents were watching them once. Balen had an aloof couple of minutes and my mom was pretty sure he was upset with her. He was just being a dane and exploring the new area. He didn't even wag his tail while he was getting petted. He just kind of turned his head and went back to looking around their house. :) It's not a personal thing. They were just excited about the new place/play/whatever, something had their attention and they could pay attention to the human giving pets later.

Yep. Mine aren't bad droolers, unless it's after a drink, or if you're holding something delicious. Or something that might be delicious. Or something that might not be food, but it's in your hand, so it's worth a shot.

:haw: Ozzie had an aloof spell for a while today, and a couple of my patients were convinced he was mad at them. I told them nope, he just plays hard to get sometimes. The Great Dane is the Prince of Dogs, so they get a little briggity from time to time. He'd come up like he was wanting petted, then would turn broadside to them and put his head in "noble dog" mode, and pose at them. He kept bringing me his Wubba and when I picked it up, he'd look at me like :golfclap:
Sage is always a bit aloof, unless she's in doofus mode.

Pardalis, your giant rabbit is amazing! She's like something out of an Australian horror movie gone incredibly right. Soooo much fluffy bunny adorableness, you'll never escape her cuteness! :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Sleeeeeeepy dogs.

God, why does your ear always stay stupid?

Yes, I'm talking to you!

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Slightly Used Cake posted:

This thread is amazing! Also, Dr Ozziemandius what size is your bed for reference? I wanted to ask if you giant dog owners let your pups sleep on the bed at night but upon seeing the photos clearly that would be impossible with dog all over it. :3:

It's a king size, for reference. Actually, both of mine sleep with me frequently. At least one is there every night, and sometimes both. I sleep on a very small sliver of bed at the edge, with at least one dog head pushing on me.

Both of mine absolutely adore kids. Sage will try and act like she doesn't want to play, but she'll always follow the kids around, and gets upset if anyone gets too rowdy or horseplaying too rough. Meanwhile, Ozzie just wants to get waller'd on.

He goes to work with me every day, and just gets spoiled rotten by patients. I have people that bring their kids in to appointments with them just to see Ozzie. If I leave him at home, I spend the whole day explaining myself. :3:

MORTAL COMBAT!

Actually, they're running after my buddy's kids on their dirt bikes. The slobber's courtesy of a quick trip to the creek.

Pounce!

Getting ready to go home.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 19, 2011

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Here's a video of me and him being stupid. I have no video editing capability, so you have to endure my goofy-speak. Sorry bout that. :downs:

http://youtu.be/0Y_uvlBziqo

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Ozzie got to go riding on real trails for the first time this weekend. We went to Ride Royal Blue in TN. Took him in my RZR, he did great. Through the judicious application of beef jerky, he had a great time, and learned to watch the trail and anticipate rough patches.

We got rained on a little.

Lazer eyes!

On Top of the World.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Balen doesn't understand rivers either:

Or why dog ice cream comes in such tiny servings:

:3: Dog servings are so tiny.

Gettin' brave!

Oh gawd! Faster faster!:ohdear:

Whew, safe by dad. Trying to figure out what that crazy bastard's doing in the deep water.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
He's freakin awesome! :buddy: I've never really seen one before. How much does he weigh now? Gorgeous pup.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Mr Kapu posted:

The first thing we did when we got Sam was get her fixed.

She was not pleased.

Sam's beautiful :3: How old is she?

Misanthrope posted:

MHe's so low energy inside the house that I don't really see the difference between Neuman and having a medium sized dog. Hell, when we babysit higher energy dogs we always say how much easier Neuman is, but we're kind of biased. ;) I'm sure you Great Dane owners can relate.

Yep, Danes are great as pups. Sleep for 4-6 hours, poop, eat, poop again, then play for 30-45 minutes, then sleep for another 4-6 hours. When Ozzie's in a growth spurt, he'll go to work and not leave the couch from 8am to 4:30pm or so (excepting meals, treats, and trips outside), then get up and want to wrassle everyone in the building for about an hour, then go home and sleep some more. They're really low maintenance, and they not super demanding.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 29, 2011

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

nildrohain454 posted:

This is very true. Most of the time Mason just wants to cuddle. People always talk about how big he is and hard it must be to care for a big dog, but he's just not that big to me anymore. A lot of time I just look at him and go, "Well, he could be bigger".

Here he is in a cuddling mood:

What a big, sweet, lovin' lug. :3:

Yeah, I always tell people that they're not big, they're regular dog-size, and you just didn't realize how small most dogs really are. When I first had Sage, and my old lab/boxer mutt was alive, after a certain size, she never seemed any bigger to me, but Miles just kept shrinking :raise:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
That's an awesome happy ol' Dane picture. He's smiling like :razz:

Grey Danes are the best Danes.

This butt scratchin' is entirely unsatisfactory!

The chin treatment's a little better.

Oh! There's the spot.

Sage is still unimpressed.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 2, 2011

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Cow dog buddy! :buddy::respek::buddy:

Harley's are awesome. Ozzie didn't know what to think about snow this year, but he sure does disappear in snow-covered woods quickly. It's like one of those paintings where you just see trees and snow, then notice all the horses and wolves in the picture. Only time a giant white polka-dot dog can hide.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
:3: Welcome to the big doggie thread! Sunday sits so pretty. Great pics. I constantly get asked if Ozzie is a Dalmation. I even had some BYB dalmation breeders ask me to let them breed him. :doh:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

vstheworld posted:

Big dogs ROCK. I'd never have anything but a giant dog. My guy is 1.5 years old and stands at 33". super skinny though. He's a Borzoi named Hyperion. We call him Hyper for short. He's a hellion.

Standoff with my Silken Windhound!

d'awwww

Ahhhh! It's Slenderdog!:supaburn: Somebody start photoshopping.

Seriously, he's beautiful. I've never seen one in person, and I had no idea that they were that tall. :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
:rolleyes: Gawd, Sage, you're such a brown nose.

I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT!.....now what?

Pleeeeeease can I have that single piece of dog food you've got? I neeeeeeed it more than anything ever ever ever!

Click to see live, slow tail-chasing action

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 9, 2011

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Doll House Ghost posted:

Hanging out with my niece. Thanks to growing up with Väinö around she's positively not scared of any animal. Väinö is the sweetest dog.

He's gorgeous! Please post more pics of your sisters dogs.

Also, I'd totally be down with a thread title change to something indicating giant breeds, if a mod should feel so inclined. I honestly never thought the thread would stick around this long, or I'd've put more effort into the name :buddy:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Daneloaf, anyone?

Laser death-eye to protect his new plushie. He loves this thing.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
I've found mine make less of a mess when they eat from raised bowls.

Muddin' is fun!

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Batdane!

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

tronik posted:

Berner urine, the very best there is for killing grass and landscape. Accept no substitutes if you're looking for a dog to pee-bomb your lawn to oblivion.

Feel free to ask me questions about the breed. I'll post some more pics soon.
He just looks pround as poo poo. "Look what I made for you!":smugdog:

I love Bernese Mountain Dogs! They're gorgeous. Were they originally draft dogs? I've seen people on TV with little pull-cart setups for them. Do yours like to drag things around?

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Knerd posted:

Pupsplosion! Our little Clementine just turned 12 weeks, and is currently weighing in at 27 pounds.

Don't be fooled by the sleep cuteness, that is just the only time we can capture pictures that aren't just big-footed apricot blurs.

Hedgepillow. This is after her first day at doggy daycare. She was so tired, I couldn't even get her seatbelt on her before she passed out.

:neckbeard: Dang, she's adorable! I love her li'l face!

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

cstine posted:

Meet Ridley: he's very big.

Also, he spends all day like this:

Six month old rescue Great Dane, 80lb on his way to 200!

Dumped at the wife's work because he had an infection his PO didn't want to pay to get treated, so he ended up here, in the shelter of unwanted animals.

He's purty :3: Good on you for rescuing him...poor li'l feller. What kind of infection did he have, and how's it doing? :ohdear:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:3: It's because she's realizing at 13 weeks she's already too big for standard pet beds.

She's starting into the "dammit, who shrank the entire world" phase. Ozzie still gets confused and pissed off every time he tries to fit under my desk at work :buddy:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Like my new bling?

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Ozzie got to go riding with me again this weekend. He loved it, and had random groups of riders going by yelling "OZZIE!!" all weekend. He's such a ham. Even the rangers from the parks department wanted a picture of him when they were checking permits on the trails.

We found some caves to explore, and poked around in a creek or two, but mostly he just rode in the RZR with me.

He can't quite figure out how we got up there.

Bigger shot of one of the caves.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

ChaoticSeven posted:

Is that Arkansas?

Nope, near Jellico, TN, in the Sundquist WMA offroading area. I'm gonna be back there next weekend for a Halloween ride :haw: Beautiful area, and some great riding trails.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Ozzie got his Doggles in this week. Still getting used to them, but I feel better taking him riding with them on.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Mine do it all the time. With Sage, she just stopped as she grew up. With Ozzie, I've been discouraging it when I can, because he's much huger and goofier than Sage, and he's around more people since he comes to work with me.

Mostly, I just try and intercept his paw as it comes off the floor...just kind of get my open hand and put it where the upper part of his foreleg will run into it. That, and i stop talking and loving on him until he puts it down. I don't call him out or scold him or anthing, just make it a non-event so he doesn't get an emotional reward for doing it. After a couple tries, he gets frustrated and quits, then it's back to lovin's :3: A week or so of being pretty diligent with it greatly decreased his pawing. Now, he'll still bump you with his paw if he wants your attention, but he's not punched anyone lately.

On a down side, Sage got her second case of Happy Tail yesterday. I was lucky to see it happen, so I caught her fast and got it bandaged. Ozzie still looked like an axe murderer from coming through the front door with her. :doh: She smacked the tip of it against the fence gate as she came in from her morning constitutional. I immediately saw blood-flecks popping up on Ozzie as they came to me. I modified the sock trick (I put a knee-sized bandaid over her tail tip, then put it down the sock and stuffed the sock with cotton balls while her tail was in it, then taped the sock down), and it's not bled any more since yesterday afternoon. Hopefully, I won't have the 3 month ordeal her first case was...

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Ozzie and Christmas Monkey say Happy New Year!:toot:

Sage is locked on target; somebody's eating something.

We had snow today, and Oz thinks it's the greatest. It was too dark for video outside, but here he is running around like :derp: after he came in from playing in the yard. :3:

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
It's the only reasonable thing to do. Having a Dane obligates you to get a Harlequin, for contrast, and so you can have the fun of explaining that no, it's not a really big Dalmatian. :colbert: