Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Cassiope posted:

I actually was hesitant to post them here because I know they are so much smaller than most everyone else's danes and such. But yeah, she's humongous. And she's only just now a year old so she has a little more growing up to do.

I'm so used to Moxie I was almost overwhelmed by the sheer dog mass in that house. Mox is like..50 pounds at her fattest. She comes up to my knee. I couldn't sit on the couch around Avalanche and Greta because the one time I did Avalanche sat on top of me and I was afraid I was going to die.

Aww, couch lovin's are one of the great rewards of giant breed ownership. I was piled on the middle of the couch with a Dane on each end last night. :3:

Also, that Dobie is gorgeous, and she's welcome in this thread anytime. I think I put a "30% bigger than normal" exception for giants, and I'm pretty sure she qualifies :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Oatmeal. Make it in the microwave, throw a pat of butter in it and let it cool a bit, cause they will shovel it down. Mine pester me for theirs every morning now. I mix it with their food and they love it.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Sage hates anything that moves or makes noise. Anything. :colbert: She scoots silently from the room like a streak of shadow if something falls down, too. Ozzie's derp rear end knows no fear. However, vacuum cleaners are the devil and must be battled fiercely. Video of this exists, and needs to be posted later.

Also, much thanks to whatever mod changed the thread title for me :buddy:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
After our recent bout of tornadoes, Sage has decided she does not like thunderstorms. She's gone her whole life and not cared a whit if it's storming. Now she runs and hides under the nearest person when it thunders. Big wimp. :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Well, we made a new addition to the family today. My roommate fostered a dog this afternoon. A patient of mine is a local mail carrier, and is well known for taking in strays and unwanted animals (I live in the sticks and we have no animal shelters for at least 3 counties in any direction), and she had told me recently that there was a Great Dane on her route that was kept on a chain and was starving, and that she had been taking it food and trying to talk the owners into letting her have it. A couple weeks ago, she told me that they had agreed, and wanted to know if I'd be willing to take her or help foster her until a permanent home could be found for her. I agreed, but then we never heard back, and assumed that the shithead rednecks had backed out. Well, yesterday, I got a call wanting to know if I'd still be interested in her, and so today she came to visit. :buddy:

Meet Lana!

Out friendly mail carrier had kept her for a week and had been feeding her, but the poor little thing was wasted away when she got her. Supposedly she's around 2 years old, but I think she's much younger, unless malnutrition has stunted her worse than I think. She was kept on a short chain because the local home health nurse that came to the house refused to keep coming because the dog was "vicious and was going to bite her" <:mad:> The poor thing is just starved for lovin's, and has the biggest, floppiest ears that have ever been put on a head that wasn't a basset hound.

Oh yeah, mean one here. This is after 2 hours of human contact. :3: She has bonded to my roommate like no other. She already howls if he leaves her in another room.

Sage's heart is broken, though :(

The green laser eyes of jealousy.

I wanna go back outside! Life without a chain is amazing! Running is the best thing that ever happened!

Hey, Ozzie, you're kinda cute.

Whose nose smells funny?

She also has the worst scars from happy tail I've ever seen :( I'm assuming this will have to be docked some. It still bleeds a bit, and is only slightly smaller around than a golf ball.

Sage and Lana meet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uluiZlfoT24

Anyone have any advice on getting some weight on her? I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild, is that going to be too rich for her system right now? Should she get a puppy vitamin supplement or anything until she's healthier? She's going to the vet first thing in the morning. The lady that rescued her started her first round of vaccinations and worming, but since we're really not sure what shots she's had, or even how old she is, she's getting the full working over tomorrow. Gonna get fixed as soon as she's healthy enough to do it. It's hard to tell in the pics because of the lighting, but she really is skin and bones. The rescue lady said she's really put on weight in the week she had her. She's well behaved indoors, and very sweet, and not at all timid, so I don't think she's been actively abused so much as terribly, terribly neglected. But, she's on easy street now.

EDIT: Apparently imgur is broken right now, so all the cool pictures of my roomate's new dog don't seem to be showing up, but believe me, they're posted, and she's adorable, and they will hopefully show up later. That is all.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 23, 2012

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: ^^^^ That dog has got the happiest prickly face.

In the pics Lana looks good, but I know it's hard to tell with black dogs sometimes. As always, I always, always, always super's satin balls. And it never hurts to supplement a dane. I'll edit this with the recipe and some :words: about dane talk because holy god, I was squirming all day wanting to say something. :neckbeard:

Which TOTW do you feed? If it's wetlands/sierra mountain/pacific I'd probably say it'll be pretty mild for her, but the high prairie formula is a heavier formula. Depends on what she's been eating, too.

E: Satin balls recipe is http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3408341&userid=145839&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post399901458 and with Amythest being Amythest, it's always worked good with her. And yeah, that is the worst happytail I've seen.

As for dane genetics, the general opinion is that mastiffs and other dogs of that general build (from that era) were crossed with deerhounds/elkhounds/wolfhounds/greyhounds and so on and so forth until boom, we get the great dane. Some danes, like that one pictured, tend to end up heavier. Then there's lightly built danes that tend to act like lunatics and bounce around at the speed of light. They have slimmer faces, smaller ribcages, etc from what I've seen. I've ended up with one of each.

Thanks for the link to the satin balls, I was hoping that would come up. I've got wetlands formula TOTW.

She's had about a cup and a half so far, fed in small increments to see how she handled it, and all the water she wants. I didn't know what she'd be able to keep down, so I figured it'd be better to err on the side of caution until she gets to the vet in the morning. She's in a deep, coma-like sleep right now.

I got a bit more information about the lady that rescued her. She's only had her since Tuesday evening, she had made contact with the owners a week ago. I'm not sure what she was feeding, she's not with an official rescue, she's just an animal lover in an area without shelters.

Due to her job, she sees a lot of strays, and networks with a lot of other dog people that can take fosters. She has 4 dogs that stay at her home, and a few kennels for short term fosters, and then she tries to arrange homes for animals that she sees on her routes. She'll try to guilt trip people out of their starving, chained up dogs, or just straight up offer some pillheads $50 for them if she can find a foster home for the poor guys. She said she's found homes for 3 Danes this year, and like 8 or 9 in the last two years. :( I blame the Marmaduke movie.

She's just recently become a patient of mine and met Ozzie at the office. I told her that if she needs any more Danes fostered, to let me know. I'll get in touch with her tomorrow and find out what she's been feeding.

After a good bath, Lana looks much better. I'm not sure what her situation has been. She's definitely been starving, and doesn't seem to have been spayed. I'm not sure how old she is, we were told around two years, but she absolutely does not look much over a year at most, just based on her puppy mannerisms and clumsiness.

Her coat is actually pretty thick and healthy looking, and she isn't timid and doesn't shy away from noises or movements like a dog that's been abused. She's not been on the defensive, she's been really calm and relaxed and happy. She's been confident with Ozzie and Sage once she got settled in, and she's already picked her spot on the rug in front of the TV and established her area of the dog couch. She's been curious about everyone and hasn't been timid around any people yet, either.

Once she calmed down, she's been sitting when she saw milk bones and has put a paw up to shake unprompted when she saw the treats coming out. She had one accident when she first came inside, but other than that, she's gone out in the yard every time she's been taken outside, and actually wouldn't come back in once until she had left playing on the porch to go out in the yard and poop. I think she's been an inside dog and cared for at one point, then either there's been a split up or she's run away or been stolen and ended up neglected, but not beaten and actively abused. We'll find out if she's chipped when she gets to the vet in the morning. Who knows, there may be a reunion thread in the works :3:

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 23, 2012

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

civilian.d posted:

Here's my last Dane w/ my mom, big silly brindle named Felix. This photo is from about 2003 (maybe 2 weeks before he died :cry: )

I'll dig around and see if I can find more pictures - but wow, was he a wonderful dog. He was the first male Dane my family had, (3 females prior, all fawns) and he was by far the goofiest. His personality was just ridiculous - miss him so much!

Nowadays I have a more long-lived breed - this is Duncan! He's not a giant dog persay, but he's quite big for a lab - 70ish lbs and he's got the giant block-head I love so much... (can you believe he's 15? no grey except his chin, and he still plays like a puppy)

ridin' in the car

posing next to his little lab statue

bathtime!

and pretending he's my lapdog @ christmas last year

Felix is awesome, and Duncan is smoove as hell! Ozzie is my male Dane, and is by far the goofiest creature I've ever been around. Big giant loveable lug. He just turned 2 in December, and until this winter went to work in my family practice clinic with me every day.

This was from Christmas 2010, the horns were too small to wear this year :(

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Poor little Lana. At best guess I'd say she's a young dog, under two years, but trying to pinpoint a dane's age without any information is usually pointless once they get past having rounded paws and being an armful of dumb, "normal" sized dog/puppy. If it turns out she's a youngster, though, they eat like horses (as you well know) so that's probably not helping her skinnyness at all. I hope if this ends up being a reunion that she was an accidental runaway, not that they just got rid of her or something. :smith:

Felix had that wonderful regal look old danes get. Such a gorgeous brindley boy.

And bullshit that lab is pretending anything.

Yeah, she's going to start getting fed properly tomorrow, she's only been here a few hours today, and we didn't know what she'd been fed, but I knew she'd been basically starved before and I was afraid I'd make her sick by overloading her system right off the bat with rich food.

When she first came home, I took Sage and Ozzie out for a while so she could explore and get used to the smells find some safey-safes, then Rex fed her a little and she got stuck in a drinking loop. Once I introduced Sage, she wasn't interested in food for a while, and got a couple treats (they're dried duck breast strips) for being good with Sage.

She had eaten this morning before being brought to my office, and was fed Tuesday evening and yesterday, but who knows when or what before then. She had some more dog food and then a milk bone this evening before slipping into puppy coma. She's not come up from that since :3:

As for reunions, it's really common for people to steal dogs around here, too, so I really wouldn't be surprised to find a chip in her and a happy owner somewhere. If not, she's gonna be happy with my roommate. He's like Dances With Dogs. My friends call him the Dog Cuckolder, because he'll spend ten minutes at your house, and your dog will like him better than you. <:mad:>

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Boru posted:

I'm psyched the pup has a good home now! What a heartwarming way to start the day. :3:

Mustache toy! It held up remarkably well, I think we almost got 9 months of play out of that one

Man, I've been meaning to get Ozzie one of those forever now, and that pic clinches it. I gotta find one now.

Got the first vet update on Lana. She's got no microchip, and he thinks she's 6 months to a year old. She weighs 68 lbs, and has definitely had a litter, but either miscarried or lost all the pups before having nursed them much, as she has essentially no mammary development. He says if she got pregnant during her first heat, then this is about as tall as she'll get, but if it was later than that, she may still grow, but no way of telling until she's had some time to get taller (or some xrays, I guess). She's got intestinal worms, but no heartworms, nice clean healthy teeth, and is pretty healthy overall (other than needing food). She's getting spayed Monday morning, as she is going into heat right now, and they're going to discuss what to do about her tail at the time. It's stopped bleeding for the moment, but is obviously very sensitive. If it's going to have to be docked some, then he needs to decide if it's better to do it while she's already sedated for the spaying, or wait until she's got a little better nutritional status and do a second surgery. :ohdear:

The vet's recommending basically around the clock feeding for now, but in very small portions every half hour or so to keep her from foundering or giving herself a torsion from wolfing it down. We're also going to put an small upside-down bowl in her food bowl to act as an obstacle until she slows down her eating.

Otherwise, she's been happy as hell, enjoying her new ropey-bone, and taking rides in the car. She also has been the first Dane in the family to realize that she is capable of sticking her head out the sunroof :3:

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 24, 2012

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
That's a great happy tail solution! You'll have to let us know how it works out. Lana's still got a huge knot on the end of hers, but it's no longer actively bleeding, just stays a bit pink looking.

She's doing very well, by the way. She never stops moving long enough to get a clear picture of here. She went from 58lbs to 78lbs in the 2 weeks from the day of her spaying to her 2 week follow up, and that was a couple weeks ago. She's filled out quite a bit, especially in her face, and her coat is really getting pretty. She's such a sweetheart. :3:

Here's a photodump from a week or so ago.

Best buds.

Checking out bugs.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 5, 2012

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Oh goodness. She's got those big silly puppy ears :3:

She's got the largest ear-to-head ratio of any Dane I've seen. :haw: I wasn't sure if it was because of the way she'd been so starved and just didn't really have any subcutaneous fat in her face, or if she's just got hyooooooge ears. Her poor little eyes and face were so sunken when she first came here. :(

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Incoming Ozzie playtime photodump! :snoop:

Yes, this is my rear end. What of it?

You can't see me!

Talking to me.

Grumbling at the neighbors for having the temerity to get out of their cars at him when he's wanting to wrassle.

Whyyyyy are you not chasing me? Put the camera dowwwwwwn!

Can't touch this.

I see you. Play with me more.

What? You talking to me?

I'll kick your rear end, man!

I'm tired now, lemme inside.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
It was Sage's 9th birthday this month, so we went camping and hiking to celebrate. :toot:

Happy birthday, old lady dog!

Where's the trails, dammit!

She's blurry, but she's sweet.

We hiked along the trail to the top of the rocks off in the distance on the right, there.

Tired? Me? I'm not tired.

I'm just resting my face. I don't know why you think I need a nap.

It's kinda bright out, I'm just gonna rest my eyelids a little too...

Dead to the world. :colbert: I have a series of pics of this that scroll like a stop-action video of Ozzie fighting sleep. It's adorable. You can watch his head bob and slowly sink, as his eyes drift shut and his face melts into the armrest :3:

Dirt road time is exciting time! :derp:

Potty break?

POTTY BREAK?!?!?!

Anyway, it was a great weekend, and the dogs had a hoot. They always love to go camping, and Sage is still as spry as she ever was, as long as she's had her morning aspirin. I love my old girl. :allears:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

mattfl posted:

And this is Gracie being silly

I could seriously post images of them all day, they love having their pictures taken and I probably have hundreds of them!

It's amazing how much she looks like my Sage in this picture, facial expression and all. She's out on the porch in the unseasonable sunshine doing this right now, wanting more tummy rubs. Gonna hafta go love that belly some more. :3:

Also, there's no excuse for not posting more pics, mister. :colbert:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Mr.Drf posted:

So what counts as a giant breed? I googled it and found wildly varying measurements. I have two dobermans. One is a runt because she was an abuse case I got from a
rescue, but the other is a AKC certified show dog that was given to me as a gift from my sister and he is a beast of a dog. The last time I had him weighed (that word looks strange) he came in at nearly a hundred pounds.

Also do any of your dogs suffer from compulsive paw licking? My rescue just licks and licks one of her paws until its almost raw. My vet is puzzled, and all he could do is give me a anti inflammatory steroid because she licks it so raw it swells up really bad.

A hundred pound dobie is definitely a big ol' dog. :colbert: Plus, I like Dobermans, so feel free to post 'em up. :buddy:

I don't know about the foot thing; have you examined her nails really closely? Sage was doing something similar for a while, and I eventually noticed that she had a very small flake (like barely visible sliver sized) sticking out from the side of one of her nails, far back from the tip, that was rubbing the toe next to it and irritating her. I trimmed it off with some nail clippers and filed it smooth, and she stopped.

I hope you can find what's causing it. :ohdear:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Snow day picture dump! :buddy:

SSSSSNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!

snowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnow :derp:

Sage pretends that she doesn't like to play in the snow.

But she's not fooling anyone.

Ozzie makes an attempt at looking dignified.

D'oh. Almost there, buddy. :doh:

Headin' down the hill.

But tired coming back up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsZZDEJUuJo

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

I miss my Pyrenees. They're great dogs. If only Monkey would have learned to respect the idea of fences. :(

DrClownsHappyHand posted:

She's bigger, but he knows how to show her he's boss:

Maggie is awesome, and I'm afraid we're going to require more pics, thankyouverymuch. :colbert:

uptown posted:

Shanti is going to be a year old on the 14th!

Happy late birthday, Shanti. You continue to be amazing! :neckbeard:

I don't have any new dog pics uploaded right now, so here's an old camping pic of Ozzie and the late, great Piper, one of my buddy's pibbles. Possibly the smartest, sweetest dog I've ever known. Rest in peace, old girl. She was put to sleep this past winter after 15 great years and a long battle with cancer. She's about 12 in this pic, and was still the boss dog of the pack. :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
BOAT!

Ozzie went for his first pontoon boat ride today, and had a blast. :haw: He liked it best if I held speed to where his ears would wing out like parachutes, but not start flapping. If they flap, he lays down out of the wind and pouts until I slow down, then he heads right back up front.

This what he looks like right now.

He just wouldn't swim with me today. :( He's been swimming before, on several canoe and camping trips, but it's been about two years since we've gone, due to a ruptured ACL and repair I went through. Maybe he's forgotten that he used to like to swim with me. He'll still ride in the canoe like a champ, and will wade and splash around all day without hesitation, but he's not going in further than his feet will touch anymore. Would getting him a bouyancy vest thingy help? Where can I find one in Shetland pony size? :ohdear:

I left Sage at home today. Many years of canoe trips have taught me that Sage is highly annoyed by water, and is deeply concerned about anyone that will subject themselves to it. She doesn't like the swim and canoe trips, so I haven't tried her on the pontoon, yet. She gets all torn up when people are swimming, but she refuses to get her dainty princess feet wet. :mad: So, she just stands at the edge of the water and squeaks and wails until everybody's on land. :rolleyes:

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 1, 2013

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
MOAR BOAT!

Ozzie was all about it, and surprisingly, Sage took right to it and loved it! She's normally quite disparaging of all watery activities, but I think she decided that getting in the boat was a variation on going for a ride, of which she is an enthusiastic supporter.

Smug Sage.

Now that's one happy old dog.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Sage just got back from a trip to a new vet for a checkup and an exam for a rash on her tummy. (Just a minor skin infection) I just thought it was great that the vet kept questioning her birthdate, 'cause he said he just couldn't believe how good her health was for an almost 10 year old Dane. He spent over a half hour in the room checking her out and loving on her. :3: Final verdict: keep doing whatever I've been doing, and bring her back for playtime visits, 'cause she's such an awesome dog. :buddy: She did have a small growth behind her ear I was worried about, but he reassured me it was just a benign cyst, which I was pretty sure it was to begin with, but it's nice to have it checked out anyway.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Merry Christmas from Sage! She promptly claimed the spot by the tree when we started putting it up last week. :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

rebounded posted:

Where's all the santa hat-shaming? Kipp won't even pretend to like it.

I don't have a Santa hat, but here's Ozzie in some reindeer horns from a couple years ago. Need to update this so I can see how much bigger his head is in comparison.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
ERMAHGERD!!!!!! SNERRR! :derp:

He's kinda scary looking in this :ohdear:

Snow brings out Ozzie's maximum derpiness. :3:

Sage is unimpressed, as usual.

...and always slightly out of focus. :argh:

Ozzie trying to look cool and composed.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

kalstrams posted:

I hope this is right place to ask such questions. :ohdear:

Which bear breed is that ?

Maybe Tibetan Mastiff? Whatever it is, hoooooly poo poo, the floof. :3: I just wanna roll on it till I sneeze myself to death.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Ironsolid posted:

Ozzie, I demand adventures with your dogs and photos of said adventures.

We haven't had many adventures this summer so far, thanks to work being super busy. :(

Both dogs are going under for minor procedures tomorrow morning. :ohdear:

Sage has a small tumor on the underside of her left eyelid, that I found last week. It's not started causing damage to her cornea yet, but it's keeping her from closing her eye all the way, and it's going to cause problems eventually. This is the only major-ish health problem she's ever had, and the old lady turns 11 on her birthday in September this year. She's getting a full-bore tooth cleaning while she's under, too.

Ozzie has had a weird long nipple for a long time; when he was about a year old, he had a scratch across one, and it got infected, and that one's been bigger than the others ever since. The vet's always told me to keep an eye on it, and recently it started having some odd looking tissue growing from the end that looks like it comes out from the inside, almost like ductal tissue. Plus, it suddenly got a bit bigger and kinda lumpy on the end in the last week or so, and that's pretty weird, so the vet wants to take it off just to be safe.

Here he is looking exceptionally goofy.

We went for a nice long ride around town, and shared some dinner before the food and water got put up tonight.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 15, 2014

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

rebounded posted:

Somewhat related - I've been trying to figure out what vehicle seats 2 + great dane + husky + bully mix. Would just give it up and get a molester cargo van, but we like to play offroad in the desert, and up in the mountains in the snow. 4wd and clearance a must.

Not like this (back of a Chevy Malibu).

Maybe a 4x4 Econovan...

Heck, the FJ works pretty good. With the back seats down, they've both got plenty of room to lay down and move around. There's room for another dog back there with 'em.

mattfl posted:

Gracie is getting up there in age as well. A few weeks ago she was having trouble laying down and sleeping and kind of breathing in really shorts breaths. A vet visit showed a slightly enlarged heart and some swelling in her abdomen. She'll be 9 or 10 this year so some of these issues are expected so she's on 3 different meds now and is thankfully back to her normal goofy self. She is starting to have issues with her hind legs again so we've got her on some arthritis vitamins to hopefully help with that. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, just sometimes her rear end kinda gives out on her, she still tries and run around like she's a puppy still so we have to watch her with that so she doesn't hurt herself more. Dam old age :(

Gracie looks so much like Sage in the face, it's just ridiculous. :allears:

edit: ooooh. We're at 999 replies :toot:

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 15, 2014

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Aww, man. Sorry about Gracie. She looks so happy in the Jeep. :unsmith:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Doctor O, how did Sage and Ozzy make out with their surgeries?

They both did well. Sage ended up having a type of slow growing, non-invasive cancer, which may return, but can just be removed again. Ozzie just had some benign hyperplastic lesion that wasn't anything to worry about. Sage turned 11 last month, and we celebrated by going on a boat ride.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Writer Cath posted:

I cannot imagine trying to get Bella on to a boat. The second it starts to drizzle outside she immediately gets all :nyd: She probably wouldn't take kindly to a large body of water.

They both love the boat. It's like going for the best ride ever, since their heads are outside no matter where they go. They always end up at the front, with their ears flying up like wings. It's so ridiculous looking. Ozzie's mouth usually blows up like batwings, too.

The water, on the other hand, is the enemy and not to be trusted. They'll both get in up to about belly deep if they have to, but no more than that. Ozzie swam once when he was about 10 months old, but I've never gotten him to try again. I think they're not really all that buoyant. Maybe with a life jacket I could get him in, but there's no way Sage would tolerate such an affront to her dignity.

They've both spent enough time on the boat now that they recognize the drive out there and start getting massively excited when they realize that's where we're going. They absolutely love boat rides. :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Quezacotl posted:

Since I became a contributing adult of society and moved out of my parents home, they have adopted two rescued Great Pyranees. The first time I was home, one of them was rather shy around me but everytime since then, they've remembered me and been relatively relaxed.

Here's photos from when one of them turned five last month, and everyone in the household got a hot dog treat.

Aww, man. I love Pyr's. :3: I miss mine. I can only imagine the amount of hair in the house with two of them. They're fantastic dogs though.

My roommate and I picked up a rescue Great Dane about 2 weeks ago, he wandered into the neighborhood with no collar or microchip, and we haven't been able to find anyone looking for a Dane. He was absolutely starved to death when we found him, and has been doing very well since the worming (tapeworms and round). The vet thinks he's about 10 months, and he was 98lbs while skin-and-bones. For comparison, Ozzie was a healthy 90 lbs at the same age. He's gonna be huge if the starvation didn't stunt his growth. He's a big, dumb, goofy sweetheart. After a couple weeks with no responses, I'm kinda feeling better about hanging on to him. He picked a good house to wander up to. I'll try and get some pics up later; they're mostly on my phone and I've been having trouble uploading them.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

mattfl posted:

So a Great Dane basically walked into your life?! That's pretty freakin amazing! What color is he? If he's a harlequin I'm going to come steal him!

Yup, little feller just wandered up. He was really easily spooked at first and wouldn't come to anyone; in fact he ran if you tried to talk to him. I could tell he was starved, so I tried putting some food out for him, but he wouldn't come to it. My roommate and his son decided to take Ozzie and Sage and some Milk-Bones and see if they could coax him in. He started running from Ozzie, which meant the chase was on. Ozzie ran him around the car lot below my house, and then he ran straight to my roommate and wouldn't leave. He let us put a leash on him and came up to the house for a bowl of food, now he won't leave. :haw: He's black with a white blaze on his chest and belly; basically a younger male version of Sage.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm gonna have to stop you right there. He's still a puppy, and you have not posted pictures? That's not food in his tummy and worms coming out of his butt, it's the onset of Puppy Exploding Syndrome! We need photos.

Also, it is communicable, so we need recent snaps of the Oz too.

Oh lord, I'll have to see what I can do when I get home. :ohdear: I've got a bunch of phone pics, but I couldn't get them to upload to imgur. I've got a nice video of him and Ozzie playing from the day he came to us. The two of them wear each other out all day. New dog (Loki) isn't fixed yet, so he was really, really interested in trying to mount Ozzie. Ozzie didn't take kindly to it, and is now the Boss Dog. Except for Sage, who is really The Boss.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Well, here he is.

He has no concept of personal space. All affection must be administered with his head under your chin.

Sage continues to not be impressed.

Here's a few pics from the day he showed up.

This was after he'd been with us a few days. He was so skinny. :ohdear:

He has no idea that he has a back half. He also thinks if his head and front feet fit somewhere, then all of him can fit there.

This was from earlier this evening. He's had about 2 weeks of good feeding.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Suspect Bucket posted:

We might need the hawgdawg xpert to weigh in, but his muzzle and build do seem purpose built. He looks boofier in the bone structure to my untrained eye. It might be the puppiness, but he looks a lot stockier then Oz and Sage (who I apologize to for forgetting her name).

Yeah, his frame is massive. I really don't know how big he'll get, since at his super skinny size right now he outweighed Ozzie at that age by a bunch. His feet are bigger than Oz's already, and his head stand higher, even though his back is still lower. I guess it depends on whether or not the starvation was enough to effect his growth. His head is just ridiculous, and his jowls are super jowly.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

kinmik posted:

Ozziemandius, may I ask whereabouts you are? In early February I saw a small dane running around that resembles your new pup greatly. We pulled over and tried to get him to come closer but he was super spooky and ran off into the woods. I'd love to get some kind of closure.

I'm in the eastern part of KY.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Hay guys! Guess who just got to go to the vet to get tutored?

It's Loki, that's who :iamafag:

Plus some bonus cuteness from yesterday.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

kitten posted:

And because this is the big dog thread, this is how she looked before the cone.

Ohmygod. She's awesome and I love her giant smooshy face. :3: Gonna hafta request more pics, STAT.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Happy birfday Balen! Sage welcomes you to old doggy land. :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

The Polish Pirate posted:

So we picked up our 8 week old brown Newfoundland pup on Friday. His name is Barnacles and unsurprisingly, he loves everyone. Will be posting a variety of pics here as he grows from his current 20lb weight to his full size of ~140lbs.

The floof! Oh, dear god, the floof! He's adorable. :3:

Ozzie had an adventure this weekend. I had him and Sage out on the boat with some friends, and we decided to help Ozzie learn to swim. This is a problem, since Great Danes are the opposite of buoyant and sink like big dog-shaped rocks. I put my lifejacket on him, which fit pretty well, then coaxed him into the water Okay, so we pushed him in :haw:

He did great once he stopped freaking out and realized that he can float. Once that set in, he would just float around and slowly dog-paddle around. He had fun, and started wagging his tail after a few minutes. After getting him up on the shore, he walked back in for some more water fun when everybody else started swimming, too. :razz:

I'll post up some pics when I can get the Imgur app to work again.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Hey Amy maybe next time you should stay in the crate that you've been using for literally nearly all of your life instead of deciding to make an escape through the side of it: (possibly :nms: because her face is a little hamburgered right now) http://i.imgur.com/ibW28hq.jpg

She ate most of dinner last night and unsurprisingly drank a shitload of water. She's got a good little lump where I'm pretty sure she got hung up and stuck in the hole she chewed. She's a great big pathetic pile of sore and disillusioned with the world right now. These crates made it through -two airline flights- literally across the world and yesterday she just decided it was time to bust out after nearly 7 years of having the drat thing. We weren't home when it happened, but there was a brush fire near-ish to the house yesterday and apparently lots of artillery booms so one of those things probably spooked her bad enough to decide she was done with the crate thing. That's alright dog. I have alternatives in mind.

She's walking and running around perfectly fine when she gets up to do it. But her head is a little swollen (and when I say a little, I really do mean just a little), she's breathing and swallowing fine, her teeth are sore, but she wanted to play with stuffed animals this morning so I'll watch her a little longer but eh.

I'm about 80% sure she's fine, just dumb as a brick.

:ohdear: Poor lil Amy! Hope she's alright in a day or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Omigod he's awesome. :3: He reminds me of Monkey when he was just a wee pup. Pyr's are such great adorable floofballs when they're little. Monkey always loved going to visit my dad's goats.