Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Ugh. Real bad week this week.

I haven't posted pics of Sage in a while, because she's been just pitiful for a long time. Sage has been steadily declining since December. She'd lost about 40lbs, most of her hair, and has some unidentifiable skin condition that's itched her to death. Multiple vets haven't been able to figure out what's wrong, beyond the obvious "really, really old". We finally got her itching under some control with large doses of steroids, and she got most of her hair back. She's much more comfortable now, but she's still declining quickly, and still losing weight. Found several more tumors on her weekly bath last night, and she's started having problems with her back legs giving out while she's walking some. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, but she's getting weaker by the day, and more confused.

Going to give the poor old lady a great week this week, then a Good Day on Friday to say farewell... :smith:

Planning on multiple car rides and boat trips and woods walks, then I'm taking off work all day Friday to spend the day on the lake making burgers and taking all her friends that I can get to come with us out for a last lake day. I have a good vet that will come to the house to sedate her once she's all tuckered out, then put her down..

Hardest drat thing I've ever contemplated. I'm a goddamn emotional train wreck this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

She's 13? 14?

Man. You did her right. It's never easy, but she had a good, long time with you. Especially as danes are concerned. I'm sorry though. She's a good girl.
Thanks. She's had a good life. She's been a Good Dog.

Yeah, she's pushing 13. Her birthday's in September. She's had a good, long run. She really hasn't had any major health problems until this. She had one small tumor on her eyelid a few years ago, but otherwise she's always been healthy. She's never had arthritis or hip problems. She still wants to run and play even now. She doesn't really act like she's in much pain even now, she's just wasted away to nothing, the poor thing. She's about 75 lbs now, down from 118 at her checkup in December when her rashes started. Her legs are giving out on her occasionally , and she's really shaky when she walks now.

We grilled out last night and had chicken tenders on the deck. Sage got to eat at the table with everybody. She was happy. :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
My condolences on Balen, he was a Good Boy. I lost Sage back the week before Christmas. She had gotten much better after her mystery sickness last summer, and then over about a month just went rapidly downhill. She was almost 12 1/2.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

12 and a half is a hell of a run but I'm still sad about Sage and I'd wondered what'd gone on with that good girl. I'm sorry for you too dude. It's rough. Amy's doing pretty good in terms of Being Amy so at least there's that. How'd(how's?) Ozziedude adjustin?

And all these black danes goin', we're gonna be overrun soon with other colors.

Ozzie's done pretty well. He was lonesome for a bit, then we got a Frenchie in February, and he's been pretty occupied since then. They're big buddies now, and Miss Pickles plagues him to death all day everyday. I'd post some pics, but I'm phone posting this morning. I put some up in the small dog thread a couple months ago.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
I’ve got a tough couple weeks ahead. Ozzie’s 8 1/2 now, and in the last month, he’s gotten really grouchy. He’s having some problems with his hips and low back. He’s starting to lose some control with his back legs at times, and he’s dragging his back feet when he walks. He’s gotten snappy with me once, when I was trying to get him out of bed to go outside last week, so I took him to the vet. He got a steroid shot, which has helped him some, but he’s back to being grouchy when it wears off. Spoke with the vet this week, and we’re going to have him put down the next weekend I’m off work. The next 10 days are gonna be full of car rides, treats, people food, visits to old friends, and some short walks in the woods. Hopefully, he can slip this mortal coil on a high note, with nothing but memories of love and fun for the last part of his life.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

This, entirely, I love seeing pictures of the big rascal. Give him a great sendoff. :smith:

ed: Just went back to pg. 1 for great pics.

I’m trying to. Poor ol’ feller had a real bad night last night. He had a seizure for about 2-3 minutes, and hasn’t been getting around good afterwards. Gave him some Valium last night and this morning to keep him from seizing again and to keep him relaxed and comfortable. The vet is meeting me at the house around 2:00 to put him to sleep. I’m closing the office at lunch so I can go home and grill burgers for him until the vet comes. Had a few old friends come to visit him last night and say goodbye. Going to bury him in the back yard next to Sage. Hard, hard night last night.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Thanks all. I posted a bunch of old pics on Imgur if anybody wants to see them. As of a little while ago,its got nearly 90,000 views.