Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
Do any of your giant dogs have really bizarre fears? I always think it's hilarious when an enormous beast of a dog is terrified of something ridiculous.

For example, Sunday's two biggest fears are guitars and thresholds. We're very musical in our house and there's guitars everywhere and she HATES them. If you start playing a guitar next to her, she jumps up and leaves the room. If you so much as move one around near her, she's out of the room like her tail is on fire. Also she often REFUSES to cross any doorway that has a threshold. She plants all four feet and there is no getting her across unless you physically pick her up. Generally after meeting the same threshold a couple times, she gets over it. It's new ones that she balks at.

My dog can't be the only enormous wuss, what are your dogs afraid of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

We're about to get Sunday spayed (finally) and I was just wondering-- is there a big difference between doing it laprascopically vs. regular? We're going to be doing the gastropexy at the same time. It's about $1100 for the regular way of surgery, and $1500 for the laprascopic... is it worth the extra money?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

laprascopic has smaller holes and generally heals up a little faster. It's really just up to you if you wanna pay $400 extra for that.

Yell at them repeatedly about holding her head up while she's unconcious because Sunday is so drat cute and drat it, don't break her while they fix her. :argh:

But I'm glad to see you're doing gastropexy! :)

Oh I know, I'm super paranoid about that and all the other little things they tell you to look out for like the temperature of the table or whatever... I'm terrified for my baby to go under the knife!

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

I don't know if this is a color or not but I'd call him a Brindle Merle, since he doesn't have the white of a Harlequin, and he'd be a blue merle if his patches were black. He's gorgeous, I love him!

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Is that website really all that marked up? $1000 for a Dane doesn't seem that far off from what most breeders charge.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

How worried should I be about this weird ball thing on Sunday's lip? It looks like it's from where her tooth is rubbing her or something. But it's gross and I've never seen anything like it before.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

What would I do without this thread? Thanks guys. :)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Sunny wanted to show you guys how she suntans at daycare.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Pfft, and people say danes don't like to sun themselves.

Strangely enough I have never seen her do this before, and I was slightly alarmed when the daycare posted this picture on Facebook because my first thought was "OH GOD MY DOG IS DEAD". Then this one was right after it, and I was like "Oh okay"

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Boru posted:

Oh and 3-4 hour naps are like the bottom average nap times for my Dane. :D

Haha I was just thinking that. When Sunday goes to daycare, she sleeps for the ENTIRE next day. It's amazing.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Is it normal for my dog to suddenly be a total biatch? :P I swear since Sunday hit a year old in January she is much less affectionate and cuddly, and a lot more independent and aloof. Is she going through a "teenage" phase or are these new traits here to stay?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Haha so there's a chance she might go back to being my sweet cuddly puppy again? It's like living with a sixteen year old girl. I swear to God she's practically rolling her eyes at me and saying "MOOOOOOOM"

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Sunday is having her spay/gastropexy surgery tomorrow, finally. I feel retarded for being so worried but I am super nervous about it.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Just dropped Sunny off at the vet. Once she figured out I wasn't going to go in the room with her she totally flipped out and fought so hard to come back to me. :( loving dog broke my stupid heart.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I'm sorry Veruca :( Sunday will be fine though :)

I haven't been following this thread a whole lot. Why does Sunday need Gastropexy and what is it?

It's a preventative measure since Danes are so prone to bloat. It's literally tacking her stomach to her ribs so that it can't twist around.

Just got the word that she's under anesthesia now, freaking out a little. :(

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Think about after. Think about how grumpy and sleepy she's going to be tonight and how drat adorable that's going to be. Her lips will be puddles on either side of her head.

I will try and think of these things instead of all the things that could possibly go wrong. :ohdear:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

The vet just called and Sunday is out of surgery. They told me to call back in 2 hours to make sure she's ready to go home. I asked if she was awake and they said yes but her temperature is quite low. I kind of freaked out and they told me it's normal for having been under anesthesia for awhile and not to worry. But of course I'm worried-- am I overreacting or is it actually normal?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

My little princess is on her way home!

She's only 91lbs, the vet told us to increase her food by 10%. She eats 8-10 cups of food a day, I guess I have to figure out how to get her to eat more.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Sunday seems to be recovering well, but she is super grumpy.

One plus out of this whole thing is that the pain meds make her so groggy that I get to cuddle and kiss her like I could when she was a puppy before she became an rear end in a top hat. :)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

So I don't know if everyone knows this, but YouTube has like, TV channels now. One of them (which launches today I think?) is Fremantle's, and they have an entirely pet-centric channel called The Pet Collective. One of their shows is a Dogs 101 type of thing, and they chose Sunday to be the face of the Great Dane segment. They sneaked me a screen shot today of my little girl's footage and she's loving adorable:

Once they have the link up to the whole video, I will of course be posting it here :)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:neckbeard: That's so awesome. Sunny gets to be a web tv star. What do they have her do? Is it just a still picture?

They filmed a whole sequence with her on a green screen, and then some shots of her running around outside. It's like a 2-3 minute video I think. They took a screen shot of some of the green screen footage and sent it to me, which I promptly posted here. ;)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

The video has been released!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcZuE8RRdc8

They made her "voice" a male but she's adorable anyway. :)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Who's that person runing with Sunday? Is that you Veruca? For some reason I thought you were a girl...

Haha, yes, I'm female-- it's someone that works on the show, I had flip flops on so I couldn't really run with her. It was funny though, he was running as fast as he could and Sunday was doing her slow run so that he could keep up. :3:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Also make sure they keep him warm. Danes can get hypothermia when under anesthesia since they have such a large body surface to lose heat from. This happened to Sunday when she was spayed. Make sure he's covered in a warm blanket after surgery, even if you have to bring it yourself.

Also, I have a Coda as well! Spelled different and quite a bit smaller, but it's a good name nonetheless. :)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

I thought you guys might enjoy this picture of Sunday looking positively demonic at daycare the other day...

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Oh my God he's SMILING! He is way too loving adorable.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Alulim posted:

Here's a video of my newfie as a pupster eating some ice cream. :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LEuAA2RCcw

So cute. :3: And that E-Z Walk harness is a miracle, isn't it??

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Hey does anyone have any EXTREMELY picky dogs? We're trying to get Sunday to put on a few pounds because you can see the knobs in her spine, but she is the pickiest loving eater EVER. She just does not care about food, she never seems to be hungry. We've tried what feels like everything to get her to put on weight. Currently she's getting two cups of dehydrated raw food (Dried-N-Alive) mixed with either canned food or raw meat depending on what we have available, plus a high calorie liquid supplement (Dyne), and a raw egg mixed in with a little bit of shredded cheese on top (she LOVES cheese). She gets this twice a day and usually only eats half. The biggest problem is that she's only interested in a particular food that she at first seems to adore for about 3 days, then she literally turns her nose up at it and refuses to touch it ever ever again.

Why is my dog being such a bitch :(

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

I've tried the satin balls before, but I've never really noticed a difference? She does love the poo poo out of them though, so maybe I'll just try feeding her more.

Also Siochain, the beef is raw.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah I'll see if we can get her into the vet to get some tests done. It's like impossible to get out of the vet for less than $500 but I want to make sure my baby is okay. :(

She loves to eat the food she loves, if that makes sense. She loves people food, which was probably part of the problem, so we stopped giving her table scraps about two months ago.

The Dried-N-Alive stuff is actually pretty cool, it doesn't turn to mush, it stays solid but soft and she was CRAZY about it at first. When we tried just not putting up with her poo poo and sticking with one thing no matter what, she went days without eating until I gave in. Should I try it again and keep with it? I know you're not supposed to drastically decrease food for a cat, not sure if it's the same for dogs.

We've been trying to pack as many calories into as small of an amount of food as possible, since eating 2-4 cups a day for a 100lb dog seems pretty crazy.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

vacation in merica posted:

Jesus Christ, 500 dollars? Do they stick a golden, diamond-encrusted thermometer up your dog's asses? I had an abscess removed from my dog's head (so she had to go under and stuff) and the surgery cost about 320 total.

Everything is inflated because I'm in Los Angeles, it blows :( I took my cat in last week for them to basically just tell me that he had fleas, and it cost $350.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Thank you SO MUCH for this link. We've seen a decent improvement in just two days. When I took her food away last night after she sniffed it and walked away, she was like, shocked. :lol: She looked like a spoiled little kid who can't believe its mother is finally putting her foot down. She followed me around the house for a few minutes after that just staring at me, it was hilarious. And she was grateful for breakfast this morning, though she only finished maybe 2/3 of it. Still, it's a good first step, and I like your idea of giving her a high value treat like beef or cheese when she finally actually finishes a meal.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Is there some developmental stage just before a dog hits two that manifests as a need to be around the owners or something? Normally Sunday is very independent, and she still is throughout the entire day. She doesn't need to be in the same room with us, doesn't care if we leave, etc. But the past week or so she has been clingy at night-- particularly in the middle of the night. She's always slept on the couch without a problem, but now in the dead middle of the night she's whining and crying to get in the bed with us. We haven't been letting her, but she'll scratch the bedroom door and bark if her heartbreaking whine doesn't work. She doesn't have to go to the bathroom; if you let her out she just stands there. We've considered getting her a bed and setting it up in our bedroom, but I'm not convinced that giving in is the best thing for her in the long run.

Anyone have any idea what this might be? Something like a fear imprint stage or something? She's 21 months old now btw.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Omg he looks like he's in an 80s hair band with all that adorable fluff on his head! :)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Sunday would like you all to meet...

...her new little brother!

This is the little guy currently known only as "Yellow". He was 4 weeks old in this picture, and he's about to be 5 weeks now. We haven't decided on a name for him yet because they haven't picked a litter theme, but we're hoping they do it soon because I really want a name for him. :)

I also took some pictures of he and his littermates (obviously he is the one in the yellow collar):

I also took about a thousand videos while I was there (they were 3.5 weeks at the time), but I managed to cut the best parts of them together into one 2 and a half minute long video. They're not super active yet, but they're getting there! My favorite part of the video is when one of the puppies manages to run for about two seconds before tripping over his little feet and face planting.

Also I can't bear to watch the first scene of the video because I feel so bad for the little puppy! (She was fine though)

Without further ado:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeUSB0cglyQ

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Thought you guys might like an update...

He's the pick of the litter. He should be coming home next weekend, I think. They still haven't decided on a litter theme, which is super annoying, so he still doesn't have a name. Also his ears have been cropped now. :)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

I think his paws are already as big as Sunday's, haha.

One thing I'm curious about though-- he's going to be shown, and from looking at the breed standards, white on the chest and toes are "not desirable". It looks like my puppy has a little white star on his chest (I haven't see him since he was three weeks old). How bad is that?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Few points off here and there. Depends on the judges. Not desirable doesn't mean disqualification by any extent of the imagination.

I'm sad they're not showing him with natural ears though. :(

I know, I pushed for the natural ears. :( She said that her line's ears are so large that they inevitably get infected when not cropped. Plus it was part of the contract of co-ownership. I'm sad too.

She says she's taking suggestions for litter themes, which I really want her to hurry up with because I want his call name to be inspired by his registered name. Maybe you guys can help me brainstorm some suggestions to send to her :D

The mom's call name is Eden; her last litter had a Garden of Eden theme. One of the things she's considering is songs by The Eagles (they had an album called Out Of Eden).

Any ideas so I can name my puppy?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Hahaha if they're going with Eagles we were thinking of Seven, after "Seven Bridges Road." I want it to start with an S so that it matches Sunday and because I'm weird. :D

We were also thinking of just ditching the idea of tying the registered and call names in altogether because we both really like the name Sawyer. If you can think of any way to work that into some kind of Eden related theme, let me know :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If they're using The Eagles you have to call him Desperado. Or that's my vote anyway.

Actually, this would be cute if we called him Desi for short... hmmm...

Veruca Salt fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 5, 2012