Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larch Tote
Mar 10, 2007

...in the world.
Malefique - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0309832/

A French film, it features four prisoners sharing a cell. To borrow from the IMDb's plot summary, "After a brick falls from the wall, the men discover the hidden journal of a 'Fountain of Youth'-obsessed serial killer who occupied the cell in the 1920s. Is this journal the secret to their escape? Or is there something much more sinister behind it?"

Tension is built with minimal dialogue, and the dirty stone cell becomes a fifth character (or sixth, if you count Danvers who wrote the diary). To me, Malefique captures the kind of atmosphere that I've only really experienced when watching The Twilight Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The Hole

Trailer here.

Awesome awesome British film about a girl (who's been missing for a few weeks) is found stumbling through the streets dressed in socks and a filthy coat. Once she's cleaned up and on her gradual way to recovery a psychologist tries talking to her to understand what happened. The girl describes how at school she was involved in a little web of normal schoolgirl drama: a crush on the American student, an old guy friend who has a crush on her that she doesn't feel like she can return, and how he has a plan to bring her and the American dude together (because he's nice like that).

Basically, instead of going on the week-long school field trip she, the American, and another couple of her friends are going to camp out in an old World War II bunker in the woods because that poo poo simply sounds awesome. Until a few days later, when they're supposed to get out, they discover that the hatch is locked.

At first it seems like a standard teenage drama story, or a standard teenage horror flick, but as time goes on we see there are gaps in her memory, pieces of her story that don't quite fit. Little by little a story is revealed of madness, isolation, obsession, and decay. Really awesome.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

One of my all-time favourite suspense-laden scary movies is The Broken. Without giving too much away, the movie begins with a woman who sees a woman looking identical herself driving a car down the street and decides to follow her to her apartment. From there, a theme about doppelgangers and their intentions develops, although thankfully the film never tries to explain too much. I found that the things that some critics disliked about the film (the slow pacing, the re-use of thematic music) are exactly what I loved about it. It's definitely different, and very creepy.

Adaptive
May 6, 2011
I just saw Jar City the other day and was blown away by how good it is. It's a fairly straight-up murder mystery, but the pacing, the bleak icelandic scenery, the themes and the overall desolate feel of the film make it seem appropriate to post in the thread. For me, it's one of the few murder-mystery films I've seen that had a totally satisfying ending - no real loose ends despite a very creative and engaging storyline. Also despite some disinterred corpses and preserved body parts, the most disturbing part of the whole film is the main character's dinner (not really a significant spoiler).

Edit to say: I love this thread. This is probably my favourite genre of movie so I'm loving being able to get some new recommendations.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ArtieTSMITW
Mar 23, 2006

Tommy! How's the peeping?
Tommy. How the peeping...

tommmytommytommytommy

Mr.Graves posted:

Maybe I should suggest Cube because I can't remember if it's already been covered here.

Cube is definitely worth watching.

For those who've never seen it, it involves a cast of characters who find themselves trapped in a cubed room. There are exits on all six sides of the room. When they try to explore, they discover that some of the rooms are booby trapped in a variety of ways. Working together, they try to escape the endless rooms and passageways.

The acting is decent, but what makes up for it are the situations and the general mood.

There were two sequels: Cube 2: Hypercube and Cube Zero.

Cube 2: Hypercube was definitely not as good as Cube, but it's still worth a watch. It's like a better-than-average movie you might see on the Sci-Fi channel. Instead of being trapped in a Cube, the characters are trapped in a 4-dimensional hypercube. It's a little out there, but has some genuinely creepy moments.

Cube Zero is okay. It gives some background on the company that is responsible for the cube, and why they do it. If you're curious enough after seeing the first two, this one's not bad.

edit: Also, watched Triangle thanks to this thread. For a direct-to-DVD film, that was a gem.

ArtieTSMITW fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 16, 2011

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

ArtieTSMITW posted:

There were two sequels: Cube 2: Hypercube and Cube Zero.

Cube 2: Hypercube was definitely not as good as Cube, but it's still worth a watch. It's like a better-than-average movie you might see on the Sci-Fi channel. Instead of being trapped in a Cube, the characters are trapped in a 4-dimensional hypercube. It's a little out there, but has some genuinely creepy moments.

Cube Zero is okay. It gives some background on the company that is responsible for the cube, and why they do it. If you're curious enough after seeing the first two, this one's not bad.

edit: Also, watched Triangle thanks to this thread. For a direct-to-DVD film, that was a gem.

no no no no no

Both Cube sequels are completely terrible, especially Zero.

Watched Lady in Black yesterday for the first time. Enjoyed it but I hope they change a ton of stuff up for the remake, including the ending, or it's just not going to be that interesting.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Pandorum

Upon rousing themselves from hyper-sleep, Payton (Dennis Quaid) and Bower (Ben Foster), a pair of crewmen assigned to work on a spacecraft, discover startling gaps in their collective memory -- including who they are and what, exactly, their mission was in the first place. The plot thickens when they realize they're not the only ones on board the ship.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.

weekly font posted:

no no no no no

Watched Lady in Black yesterday for the first time. Enjoyed it but I hope they change a ton of stuff up for the remake, including the ending, or it's just not going to be that interesting.

The first Cube was awful too. The acting and dialogue were terrible.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

weekly font posted:

no no no no no

Cube 2 was one of the only movies after which I literally said, "oh, okay, whatever." It's not that I disliked the film or anything either. I just honestly didn't care enough about any of the characters or plot elements to form an opinion one way or another. I sat through a few of the DVD extras, hoping that something would either salvage the story or at least apologize for it, but I quickly came to the conclusion that there's really nothing about the story that would make me give two tugs of a dead dog's dick about it.

The only thing that struck me was at the end where the woman is being debriefed, and afterwards she gives her superior officer one of the most insincere and possibly mocking salutes ever. Then some other guy shoots her in the head. gently caress, I don't even care enough to remember if that was the original ending or if it was an alternate ending from the DVD release.

The saving grace for the first film was that it at least left me with questions to consider. The only question Cube 2 left me with was, "Seriously?"

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Seventh Arrow posted:

One of my all-time favourite suspense-laden scary movies is The Broken. Without giving too much away, the movie begins with a woman who sees a woman looking identical herself driving a car down the street and decides to follow her to her apartment. From there, a theme about doppelgangers and their intentions develops, although thankfully the film never tries to explain too much. I found that the things that some critics disliked about the film (the slow pacing, the re-use of thematic music) are exactly what I loved about it. It's definitely different, and very creepy.

I can't agree with this more. It is a very slow film but not in the respect that nothing happens - there is actually quite a bit of plot but it's extremely deliberate in how it reveals its scenes. I found myself holding my breath and times just waiting for the next "scare" which were always well done. The tension is held early and often throughout the film.

Of all the after dark films, this was my absolute favorite.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Shane-O-Mac posted:

The first Cube was awful too. The acting and dialogue were terrible.

Especially the villain. He was horrible.

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018

It's been years since I've seen it, so it's difficult to recall the amount of gore, but I think thread readers might be interested in a 1973 Brian DePalma classic, Sisters, starring Margot Kidder. Given its age, I can't imagine it being considered a gore-fest.

According to Trivia at IMDB:

quote:

'Brian De Palma' was inspired to make the film after he read an article about a set of Soviet Union Siamese twins that were successfully separated after an operation. De Palma said he was haunted by a photograph of the twins in which one looked cheerful and healthy, while the other looked surly and disturbed. The article went on to include issues about the twins psychological problems after their separation.

Yep, Margot plays the main character and her surgically separated siamese twin. And, it's directed by Brian DePalma. What else do you need to know to make you see this film?

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
This thread is just the thing I've been looking for! Sadly, the first movie I watched based on your recommendations was Frailty and my god, that movie could've been so much better. I said to my girlfriend around 20 minutes in that I hope the FBI agent isn't on the demon list and getting himself "destroyed" soon - that would be so cliche. The movie seemed quite captivating until the whole "BUT THEY'RE GOD'S WARRIORS AFTER ALL" part :(.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Gropiemon posted:

Pandorum

Upon rousing themselves from hyper-sleep, Payton (Dennis Quaid) and Bower (Ben Foster), a pair of crewmen assigned to work on a spacecraft, discover startling gaps in their collective memory -- including who they are and what, exactly, their mission was in the first place. The plot thickens when they realize they're not the only ones on board the ship.

I watched this last night. Wasn't too impressed, the final twist was pretty unexpected though and I thought the ending was good enough.

It suffered from lacking any kind of interesting horror device; the creatures were transplanted straight out of The Descent and the idea of "Pandorum" wasn't fleshed out enough to carry the story.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.

Evan Montegarde posted:

I watched this last night. Wasn't too impressed, the final twist was pretty unexpected though and I thought the ending was good enough.

It suffered from lacking any kind of interesting horror device; the creatures were transplanted straight out of The Descent and the idea of "Pandorum" wasn't fleshed out enough to carry the story.

Yeah, it was alright for a free streaming movie on Netflix. It also suffered from the only female character being the love interest for the main character and the only Asian character knowing martial arts.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Levantine posted:

Of all the after dark films, this was my absolute favorite.

I really liked The Deaths of Ian Stone. I don't think it fits into this thread, but I'll just say it's at least worth giving a try.

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427582/

El Método (2005 Spain) - "The Method" in English.

I don't think this has been posted yet...

Plot:

Similar to Exam, but vastly superior in my opinion. A major corporation stages a final interview phase in Madrid for seven applicants using an experimental psychometric system called the "Grönholm method".

Simple (the majority of the film takes place in the interview room) and effective. I highly recommend it.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Shane-O-Mac posted:

Yeah, it was alright for a free streaming movie on Netflix. It also suffered from the only female character being the love interest for the main character and the only Asian character knowing martial arts.

I felt that the female part never really had any romantic ties with Ben Foster. It seemed like she was just a female character for the sake of having one. Even at the end, they just seemed more happy to be alive with someone else than that they have fallen in love or anything. While the Asian guy knowing martial arts was a little cliched, the chick also knew some pretty out there moves, so maybe with all that time on your hands, you teach yourself crazy acrobatic martial arts.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Seventh Arrow posted:

Eehhhhh.... I wouldn't call this a bad movie at all but I it left me kind of cold. I admit this is mostly because I thought this was going to be a lot more cerebral and more of a "descending into madness" movie than it was. I think that's why it gets a lot of "too slow" from critics; the deliberate pacing contributes to an air of mystery that isn't really earned by the very straight-ahead plot. It becomes very apparent that halfway through the movie this is literally about evil dopplegangers breaking through the mirror and killing/replacing the real-life person and that's not a bad plot at all, but it's just kind of like, if you're going to be so obvious about it then why not just tell us up front instead of taking half the movie to get to "she's not crazy, this poo poo's really happening?" And the twist at the end isn't really surprising either.

All this probably sounds overly harsh. I just had a real specific reason why this didn't hit the spot for me and I wanted to be sure I got the idea across.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Gropiemon posted:

Pandorum

Gotta concur with everyone else who has said anything about this movie. Frankly the most interesting parts were the (frustratingly brief) back-story on the mission, how the main character decided to become a crewman on the ship, and the twist at the end. The 'space monsters onboard killing people!' plot focus could have been done away with entirely and the movie would have been ten times more interesting.

Although I have to say the one flashback where Bower is outside the Brandenburg gate in Germany wearing an oxygen mask because of a dust storm and is looking up at a billboard advertising the chance to colonize another planet was an incredibly powerful image of the future.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Edit: Upon reflection, not the best thread for this. However, I just watched They Live for the first time yesterday, and hooooly poo poo, that was awesome. Anyone who still hasn't seen it...just watch it. It's on netflix instant streaming and everything!

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 17, 2011

Suurikelmi
Mar 17, 2006
In the spirit of Killing Room, Exam, etc., I recommend Das Experiment.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250258/

German movie about a phychological test in which test subjects are divided into inmates and guards and the prison experiment begins. Of course it doesn't go quite as planned. Based on a true story apparently.
There is an American version, but I haven't seen it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Suurikelmi posted:

In the spirit of Killing Room, Exam, etc., I recommend Das Experiment.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250258/

German movie about a phychological test in which test subjects are divided into inmates and guards and the prison experiment begins. Of course it doesn't go quite as planned. Based on a true story apparently.
There is an American version, but I haven't seen it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

It's a pretty famous psychological test but no one was getting murdered in real life (not spoilers, just assuming).

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
A lot of awesome advice in here, thanks a lot I have plenty of movie to watch now..
I wish I could give some recommendations but sadly I can't yet.

erqa
Jan 20, 2010
Oooo yes, a thread for me.

I'm glad to see Funny Games mentioned. I'll be a turd and say I enjoyed the original more than the remake because of the cast, especially the mother. It's hosed up and definitely not fun to watch, but if you're a fan of the genre, you can't miss it. Two terrifying young guys manipulate a rich family and the audience. A very smart film, and the interview with director Michael Haneke that accompanies the DVD is important to watch.

Also, The Vanishing, but the original Dutch and not whatever lovely Sandra Bullock remake happened in the 90s. A couple are embarking on a summer vacation together but it all goes to hell when she disappears at a rest stop. Her boyfriend, Rex, devotes the next several years to finding out what happened to her. And he does. Wonderfully spooky ambiance and a terrifying ending.

Wait Until Dark, the classic Audrey Hepburn film in which she plays a blind woman unwittingly in possession of a doll supposedly stuffed with heroin. Left alone, she must outmaneuver two conmen out for the doll--and her. I screamed the first time I saw this, which is uncommon given that I watch a loooot of thrillers.

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? is a great Bette Davis/Joan Crawford film about sibling jealousy. One a formerly famous child actress and the other a glamorous Hollywood starlet, they've been shuttered from society for decades following a suspicious car accident. Features alcoholism, mental illness, emotional and physical abuse, eccentricity, and Bette Davis's wonderfully expressive face.

All of that said, I'll agree in short with these since they've been mentioned and they ruled: Polanski's The Tenant and Rosemary's Baby (I could never get into Repulsion?), Solaris, Possession, and Audition (just... disgustingly terrifying).

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 30, 2011

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Might not want to hotlink those images guy.

erqa
Jan 20, 2010

drcru posted:

Might not want to hotlink those images guy.

My bad, this is my first reply and I got a lil excited.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bestericaever posted:

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? is a great Bette Davis/Joan Crawford film about sibling jealousy. One a formerly famous child actress and the other a glamorous Hollywood starlet, they've been shuttered from society for decades following a suspicious car accident. Features alcoholism, mental illness, emotional and physical abuse, eccentricity, and Bette Davis's wonderfully expressive face.

This movie is definitely a must see.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This movie is definitely a must see.

I hated it the first time I saw it because I had such a visceral reaction to Bette Davis's character. Looking back, it's fantastic.

She is the creepiest poo poo. She even manages to be the creepiest part of another movie from that role (her cameo in the new House of Wax)

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

The Hole

Trailer here.

Awesome awesome British film about a girl (who's been missing for a few weeks) is found stumbling through the streets dressed in socks and a filthy coat. Once she's cleaned up and on her gradual way to recovery a psychologist tries talking to her to understand what happened. The girl describes how at school she was involved in a little web of normal schoolgirl drama: a crush on the American student, an old guy friend who has a crush on her that she doesn't feel like she can return, and how he has a plan to bring her and the American dude together (because he's nice like that).

Basically, instead of going on the week-long school field trip she, the American, and another couple of her friends are going to camp out in an old World War II bunker in the woods because that poo poo simply sounds awesome. Until a few days later, when they're supposed to get out, they discover that the hatch is locked.

At first it seems like a standard teenage drama story, or a standard teenage horror flick, but as time goes on we see there are gaps in her memory, pieces of her story that don't quite fit. Little by little a story is revealed of madness, isolation, obsession, and decay. Really awesome.

I saw this years ago on TV randomly....SUPER hosed up. Great film, highly recommend it.

Session 9, also discovered randomly on TV (Thank you TMN), creeped the hell out of me. And gently caress that wheelchair! :gonk:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I hated it the first time I saw it because I had such a visceral reaction to Bette Davis's character. Looking back, it's fantastic.

She is the creepiest poo poo. She even manages to be the creepiest part of another movie from that role (her cameo in the new House of Wax)

I think the lighting is a big part of what makes the movie effective.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I thought the hole was pretty awful. It's one of those movies that the moment they start revealing everything you've got it all figured out and just have to sit through things that should be obvious.

Turada
Jun 17, 2006

On a mission from God

bestericaever posted:

Oooo yes, a thread for me.

I'm glad to see Funny Games mentioned. I'll be a turd and say I enjoyed the original more than the remake because of the cast, especially the mother. It's hosed up and definitely not fun to watch, but if you're a fan of the genre, you can't miss it. Two terrifying young guys manipulate a rich family and the audience. A very smart film, and the interview with director Michael Haneke that accompanies the DVD is important to watch.

Also, The Vanishing, but the original Dutch and not whatever lovely Sandra Bullock remake happened in the 90s. A couple are embarking on a summer vacation together but it all goes to hell when she disappears at a rest stop. Her boyfriend, Rex, devotes the next several years to finding out what happened to her. And he does. Wonderfully spooky ambiance and a terrifying ending.

Nthing Funny Games. Is The Vanishing 'Spoorloos'? If so, I've had a copy here for ages after Eli Roth chose it for some horror marathon a while back and never got round to it, this could be the reason to watch it though.

I seem to remember lots of people hating on The Hole when it came out, I thought it wasn't bad, but I saw it quite a while ago when I thought differently about films in general. Probably worth a rewatch.

erqa
Jan 20, 2010

Turada posted:

Nthing Funny Games. Is The Vanishing 'Spoorloos'? If so, I've had a copy here for ages after Eli Roth chose it for some horror marathon a while back and never got round to it, this could be the reason to watch it though.

Yep, that's it.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The Vanishing is really, seriously fantastic and exactly the kind of movie this thread is about. You should watch it asap!

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!

Riptor posted:

The Vanishing is really, seriously fantastic and exactly the kind of movie this thread is about. You should watch it asap!

I watched it yesterday because of this thread and thought it was fantastic. Another recommendation for it!

JessJezzz
Jul 20, 2005

Pinchin' on the Ritz
Mimic

In Manhattan, cockroaches are spreading a deadly disease that is claiming hundreds of the city's children. Entomologist Susan Tyler (Mira Sorvino) uses genetic engineering to create what she and her colleague (and husband) Peter Mann (Jeremy Northam) call the Judas Breed, a large insect that releases an enzyme that kills off the disease-carrying roaches by speeding up their metabolism. The Judas Breed work spectacularly and the crisis is abated. Since the Judas Breed have also been designed to only produce one male able to breed, and they keep it in their care, the hybrid species should die out in a matter of months. Some years later, people begin to go missing in the subways and tunnels under the city

Although del Toro was unhappy with the film as released, it includes several examples of his most characteristic hallmarks. "I have a sort of a fetish for insects, clockwork, monsters, dark places, and unborn things," said del Toro, and this is evident in Mimic, where at times all are combined in long, brooding shots of dark, cluttered, muddy chaotic spaces.

JessJezzz
Jul 20, 2005

Pinchin' on the Ritz
Also, I was going to post The Relic in this thread, but I haven't seen it in such a long time that I didn't feel confident in recommending it - what do you guys think of the film?

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

JessJezzz posted:

Also, I was going to post The Relic in this thread, but I haven't seen it in such a long time that I didn't feel confident in recommending it - what do you guys think of the film?

I thought it was okay, but nothing special. More of a monster film than a psychological horror film.

A couple more to recommend...

Yellowbrickroad is about a group of people investigating the legend of a small town in New Hampshire, whose inhabitants all picked up and walked up a trail into the woods one day in the 1930s. The team (a psychologist, photographers, cartographers, and a forest ranger) follow the trailhead used by the townsfolk and end up, well, nowhere good. Some people will try to tell you it's a ripoff of The Blair Witch Project, but they are wrong. The only thing it has in common with Blair Witch is the idea of people lost in a possibly-haunted forest. I thought it had more in common with what I'd think a film adaptation of The Navidson Record would be like.

I'd also forgotten about Fallen, a moody, tense supernatural possession film with a great cast (Denzel Washington, John Goodman, James Gandolfini) and a sense of unease and paranoia delivered with minimal gore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I found The Exam and The Killing Room to be pretty boring overall, but if you like that kind of set up, you might want to check out Fermat's Room. I found it pretty entertaining if not entirely logical.

As for The Broken, I really wanted to like it, but the ending left an annoyed taste in my mouth. It seemed to want to be both a psychological horror and an out-and-out horror, and in the end seemed weak overall. I would have preferred if they decided this was taking place in her head or that they were totally real The ending really tried to leave it ambiguous, but it's already shown to be real (the fist-in-mouth scene).

• Locked thread