Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

jeremy oval office posted:

Yep. "I live in the weak and the wounded."

This was how I read it too. Gordon's under a lot of stress with the job and his new baby - he's prepared to push his crew to the limit before they even start because he's desperate for the work - and it's on that first visit that he hears someone saying "Hello, Gordon." He goes home from work after the first day, intends to celebrate the job with his wife and ends up snapping and killing her instead. It just goes downhill from there.

That bit at the end, where Gordon was talking to his wife, begging her to take him back, on an obviously broken cell phone, that was such a simultaneously heartbreaking and chilling moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

In an effort to keep the thread going on this new page, let me recommend another of the obscure horror titles that you most likely passed by based on the box art and description:

In the middle of World War I, nine British soldiers caught behind enemy lines seek refuge in a complex network of German trenches. What they soon discover is that they aren't alone...and it isn't a German soldier that's hunting them down.

This doesn't do the film justice, it really plays out more like an extended Twilight Zone episode (I could swear that the movie was taken from one.) But it is certainly worth watching. I passed by this movie numerous times in the video store because at the time there was a TON of bad horror movies that were littering the shelves at Blockbuster. It's available on Netflix Instant now which makes watching it much easier. The director Michael J. Bassett has only done a few movies but I recommend most of them (They aren't what I would consider psychological horror though) Wilderness, Solomon Kane and he is the director of the upcoming Silent Hill: Revelation

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Levantine posted:

The atmosphere of Silent Hill was the best part about it.

the Bunt posted:

Coming from a humongous fan of the Silent Hill game (and good horror movies), I pretty much loving loathed the movie...though, even I have to admit, it did get some things (mostly aesthetics) very right.
Again, I've never played any of the games (I watched part of the LP of the first one(?) about a year ago, but that's about it), but I completely agree; the atmosphere of the film was just so purely disturbing, and that's what sold it for me. There aren't many films I can remember that come close to capturing that element of uncertainty, despair, and isolation except The Mist and maybe even Cloverfield. I feel like I Am Legend would do the same but I haven't seen it because I am a bad person.

e: I still haven't tracked down the real-life analogue to the civil defense siren sound effect used in the film, but here's the movie track for your enjoyment

e2: bwoop, it's from France. Apparently it's different in the games, but they're all pretty much terrifying.

the Bunt posted:

When I saw the movie, I figured that Sean Bean was tacked on there to build up to a SH2 adaptation. The protagonist in SH2 is a man searching for his wife, so it would make sense.

But nope, the new SH movie is actually an adaptation of the third game. So, really, none of it makes any sense to me.
This thread is actually the first I've heard of the sequel actually going forward. Last I'd heard it was still in development hell, so I'm amazed they've finally pulled the trigger. Wiki says Bean is still in it, and he and Malcolm McDowell are both awesome (and so is the actress who played Rose in the first film), so as long as they can capture that same kind of psychological aesthetic I'll definitely be there to watch.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 25, 2011

Promethea
May 22, 2010

"The car is on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel.
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides.

And a dark wind blows."
I suggest The Innocents, the 1961 adaptation of The turn of the screw by Henry James.

It's about a Victorian governess who comes to believe the young children she looks after have become possessed by the malevolent spirits of a dead cad and his deceased, wimpy girlfriend (who was also the previous governess).

It's one of the most beautiful looking horror films, full of gorgeous black and white cinematography. But it has more than just good looks - this film is seriously creepy once it gets going. I still get chills from the scene with the little girl down by the lake and in fact got a shiver up my neck just typing this.

One of those films where you can read the whole story in two entirely different ways. Both are equally chilling to me.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Whoever suggested Yellowbrickroad earlier in the thread is now being thanked. As others have said, the ending was unnecessary, but it can't hurt you if you pretend it isn't there.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Saw a very good sci-fi/horror last night from Xavier Gens (Frontiers, Hitman) called The Divide (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535616/). It's got a great, bleak look and a really excellent cast featuring Michael Biehn, Milo Ventimiglia, and Michael Eklund. It's about a group of survivors living in a basement after a nuclear attack. Wonderfully claustrophobic and some fantastic effects that feel really real.

In the Q&A after the film, Gens and the cast said that the film was shot chronologically, and the whole cast was put on a strict 31-day diet during filming in order to portray the characters as wasting away. Definitely put it on your list when it drops in January.

e: oh, there's a trailer on Ain't It Cool here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51569

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 26, 2011

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I'm surprised no one's mentioned The Mothman Prophecies. Lots of people aren't impressed by it, but I've always really liked it. It builds up some good atmosphere, and some scenes are just unnerving. The chapstick scene bugged my girlfriend for a long time. She'd get creeped out whenever she heard strange noises or voices on the phone.

The movie has some nice cinematography, and the score by Tomandandy really enhances the atmosphere.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

haunted sleep posted:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned The Mothman Prophecies. Lots of people aren't impressed by it, but I've always really liked it. It builds up some good atmosphere, and some scenes are just unnerving. The chapstick scene bugged my girlfriend for a long time. She'd get creeped out whenever she heard strange noises or voices on the phone.

The movie has some nice cinematography, and the score by Tomandandy really enhances the atmosphere.

My big problem with this was how it was structured. The last 20 or so minutes of the movie establish, build up to and then resolve a conflict that has nothing to do with the rest of the story. It's as though they couldn't find any conflict in the main mystery so they had to invent one to make the third act have anything resembling resolution.

I did enjoy parts of it, though.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

flashy_mcflash posted:

Saw a very good sci-fi/horror last night from Xavier Gens (Frontiers, Hitman) called The Divide (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535616/). It's got a great, bleak look and a really excellent cast featuring Michael Biehn, Milo Ventimiglia, and Michael Eklund. It's about a group of survivors living in a basement after a nuclear attack. Wonderfully claustrophobic and some fantastic effects that feel really real.

Really looking forward to this after I saw the trailer recently. I likes me some dark and gritty post-apocalyptic fare. Feels like it could've been a prequel to The Road.

I've been wanting to see Michael Biehn get a meaty role in something big for a loooonnnng time. I hope this revitalizes his career somewhat, he's been in such huge iconic movies but I'm not sure what happened that he never quite hung onto his success. How's his performance?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bonk posted:

Really looking forward to this after I saw the trailer recently. I likes me some dark and gritty post-apocalyptic fare. Feels like it could've been a prequel to The Road.

I've been wanting to see Michael Biehn get a meaty role in something big for a loooonnnng time. I hope this revitalizes his career somewhat, he's been in such huge iconic movies but I'm not sure what happened that he never quite hung onto his success. How's his performance?

I can honestly say it's the performance of his career. Unless he's done something more obscure I've never seen, this is easily the best I've seen him.

It's Eklund that steals this movie right out from under everyone though. He is so completely twisted and unhinged. Apparently a lot of the film is improvised, and it all comes off very naturally.

Funnily enough, the version we saw was an edited version (strange for a film festival to get a cut like that) but Anchor Bay will be releasing it theatrically with a 'drectors cut' that has 15 more minutes and some more explicit stuff.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

Crackerman posted:

See also: Pyramid Head.

There was a lot of potential there but fan service was a huge loving problem for that film.

I'm a big Silent Hill fan too, but I actually liked the movie. I admit, I'm definitely in the minority, but I think it was much more true to the 'feel' and mythology of Silent Hill than the last couple games have been. It's also a fairly good horror movie overall, although it focuses way more on visuals and atmosphere than pacing, characters, or story.

Trying to tie elements from the games into the story was indeed one of its weakest elements. Pyramid Head, the child's story, the female cop, none of them really fit in with anything else, and felt really tacked on.

Overall, I wouldn't say it's that good of a movie, but it's nowhere as bad as some people say it is, and it's still the best video game to movie adaptation I know. I give it around 2 stars out of 4.

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

sethsez posted:

My big problem with this was how it was structured. The last 20 or so minutes of the movie establish, build up to and then resolve a conflict that has nothing to do with the rest of the story. It's as though they couldn't find any conflict in the main mystery so they had to invent one to make the third act have anything resembling resolution.

I did enjoy parts of it, though.

In all honesty the Keel book this movie is sourced from does somewhat the same thing. I enjoyed The Mothman Prophecies movie enough to find a copy of the book, and I would say isn't worth the read (maybe the first half or third at most). The book starts off with a decent premise, but lacks any conflict to establish direction. The majority of the book goes along as ... "we went out this night wish such and such person and saw such and such orbs" ... which is okay the first 10 times you read that.

A version of Mothman would be more interesting if the source material was more closely followed with the main character Keel and some of his experiences in the book.

The SciFi T.V. version of this only exists in my opinion to see Jewel Staite in a bikini, then you turn it off.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Grimey posted:

In all honesty the Keel book this movie is sourced from does somewhat the same thing. I enjoyed The Mothman Prophecies movie enough to find a copy of the book, and I would say isn't worth the read (maybe the first half or third at most). The book starts off with a decent premise, but lacks any conflict to establish direction. The majority of the book goes along as ... "we went out this night wish such and such person and saw such and such orbs" ... which is okay the first 10 times you read that.

A version of Mothman would be more interesting if the source material was more closely followed with the main character Keel and some of his experiences in the book.

The SciFi T.V. version of this only exists in my opinion to see Jewel Staite in a bikini, then you turn it off.

The book isn't fiction, it's an investigative book by late paranormal researcher John Keel, who was a real guy. The movie is a fictionalized take on the topics covered in the book.

daccats
Aug 25, 2007

haunted sleep posted:

The book isn't fiction, it's an investigative book by late paranormal researcher John Keel, who was a real guy. The movie is a fictionalized take on the topics covered in the book.

I really enjoyed the movie but the book read like the disjointed ramblings of a conspiracy theorist. I trudged my way through it and wish I hadn't.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

haunted sleep posted:

The book isn't fiction...paranormal researcher

Um. I don't know how to break this to you.

I've always thought the film was okay though, it's just a bit flat. It has some great creepy moments like the aforementioned "chapstick" scene and the great moment where Gere slams a wardrobe door with a mirror and the door bounces back and briefly shows a reflection of someone on the other side of the room. It's worth a watch if you don't expect a classic or anything.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Crackerman posted:

I've always thought the film was okay though, it's just a bit flat. It has some great creepy moments like the aforementioned "chapstick" scene and the great moment where Gere slams a wardrobe door with a mirror and the door bounces back and briefly shows a reflection of someone on the other side of the room. It's worth a watch if you don't expect a classic or anything.

I been looking for this scene for a while. Any idea what I could search for to get a clip? (the spoilered one)

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Crackerman posted:

Yeah, I thought the movie was boring as hell, but that spoilered scene really did freak the poo poo out of me. Stuff like that always really gets to me.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I have no idea, I tried looking for it on youtube but I can't seem to find the specific scene.

The other thing I thought was cool was when they broke down Indred Cold's voice and it turned out it was purely electronic with no human element at all, like it was being created purely from the signal on the phone line.

That film has a lot of wasted potential.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Crackerman posted:

That film has a lot of wasted potential.

Totally true. It has a bunch of creepy elements but the plot just fails to really bring them together in a truly effective way. I understand why many people find it boring. I just happen to like it, despite its faults.

As for the book it's based on, whether or not you believe in the possibility of paranormal phenomena, it's not meant to be a novel, and lots of people are confused when they see the movie and then read the book. The way the publisher re-released it around the time of the movie's release was a really dumb move, using the poster art for the cover and whatnot.

Benicio
Mar 21, 2004

Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay
Early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose
I always thought the part with the voice saying he would "see her in time" was creepy as hell. Though the last 30 minutes aren't unnerving at all, they kind of blow their wad towards the end.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
For District 9 fans, got some insider info on Neill Blomkamp's stuff:

-There likely won't be a D9 sequel. Too many people have rights to it. The director and writer are on board (though both are doing other projects now), but the studios, distributors, production companies, and producers would all have to come to agreements or give up their hold in order to get it done. It's been talked about a lot, but nobody can seem to push it through.

-There's been some buzz about 'Elysium' being renamed 'Baja Dunes'. It seems to be a production cover name though, because people involved are still calling it 'Elysium'.

-Blomkamp's next project "Chappie" is fairly notorious for having very little information about it, but someone said something they shouldn't. Much like District 9 was an adaptation of the world presented in Blomkamp's short 'Alive in Joburg', Chappie is at least tangentially related to his 'Tetra Vaal' short. It's apparently far enough removed that it's not quite the same concept, but it's definitely the project's inspiration.

Edit:vvv The most anyone has said about Elysium is that it's Matt Damon and Jodie Foster, and it's a far-future sociopolitical thriller set on another planet.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 30, 2011

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I think it's best if there is only one District 9 film. The ambiguous ending of the film works fine for the film and any sequel would not live up to the potentials setup by that ending.

It would be good if "Chappie" was also related to "Tempbot". Both "Tetra Vaal" and "Tempbot" could essentially be different aspects of the same technology.

Anything more substantial for "Elysium"? District 9 at least had a website around this time in preproduction.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

:cry:

Not a single drop of blood, and I still refuse to watch this again.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

jazz babies posted:

:cry:

Not a single drop of blood, and I still refuse to watch this again.

Patton ruined this movie for me. I can't take it seriously as a horror movie because I will probably always see George C. Scott as General Patton, and General Patton ain't scared of a wheelchair.

Promethea
May 22, 2010

"The car is on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel.
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides.

And a dark wind blows."
It worked for me. The Changeling is the only horror film I ever just turned off after about twenty minutes because I flat out decided it was going to be too frightening :ohdear:

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!

Ornamented Death posted:

Patton ruined this movie for me. I can't take it seriously as a horror movie because I will probably always see George C. Scott as General Patton, and General Patton ain't scared of a wheelchair.

Also Dr. Strangelove. Scott is a great actor. I saw the recommendation in this thread and gave the film a watch. I can't put my finger on it but it didn't draw me in like I was hoping. I don't know why but it wasn't as good as I was hoping. To be honest, I think it was Scott. He's so famous for his other roles I couldn't take him seriously. He played the character like a normal person and as a result made for a dull horror film. His reactions to the situation were almost too genuine. He was rational and intelligent and that rarely works in a horror film.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Shalkore posted:

He played the character like a normal person and as a result made for a dull horror film. His reactions to the situation were almost too genuine. He was rational and intelligent and that rarely works in a horror film.

So you're the reason our protagonists always run up the stairs instead of going out the door.

Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

The Haunting (1963) is pretty awesome in this department.

You never actually see anything apart from a door bending a little, it's mostly creepy sounds and the creepy house itself but holy poo poo did 13yo me have nightmares that night after watching it. The only other movie to cause me this was Carpenter's "The Thing".

The house were the action takes place in incredibly oppressing and drips with foreboding. Very slow paced by today's standards but I think very effective.
For the love of god ignore the remake with Catherine Zeta-Jones, it's a complete abortion.

The Haunting is my favourite horror film of all time. It's terrifying. You can see a lot of it's influence in Evil Dead II, from certain camera work to direct lines of dialogue.

Promethea posted:

I suggest The Innocents, the 1961 adaptation of The turn of the screw by Henry James.

It's about a Victorian governess who comes to believe the young children she looks after have become possessed by the malevolent spirits of a dead cad and his deceased, wimpy girlfriend (who was also the previous governess).

It's one of the most beautiful looking horror films, full of gorgeous black and white cinematography. But it has more than just good looks - this film is seriously creepy once it gets going. I still get chills from the scene with the little girl down by the lake and in fact got a shiver up my neck just typing this.

One of those films where you can read the whole story in two entirely different ways. Both are equally chilling to me.

Also this. It's a great movie, if you haven't seen it do yourself a favour and pick up both The Haunting and The Innocents. They're brooding and atmospheric horror movies and they are both brilliant.

I'll add The Old Dark House to the pile. Directed by James Whale, the director of Frankenstein, and featuring Boris Karloff. The Old Dark House is another example of how a strong atmosphere is creepier and more disturbing than almost any explicit gore can be. It's also got a streak of humour running through the film that makes it more palatable if you're not used to slow burning movies. The premise is simple, a bunch of strangers get thrown together when a storm forces them to take refuge in a creepy house in rural Wales. The dysfunctional family who live in the house are downright creepy.

Mr_Zombie fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 31, 2011

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

daccats posted:

I really enjoyed the movie but the book read like the disjointed ramblings of a conspiracy theorist. I trudged my way through it and wish I hadn't.

This was my point about the book as well. I understand that Mothman wasn't a fiction book, but that doesn't change my view that reading the book was a waste of time if you don't believe in the paranormal things it attempts to investigate.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

To everyone that recommended The Broken: thank you, it was cool. It got a little silly, sure, but I found it tense as all hell. And lots of not-too predictable mirror scares, which always make my SO terrified.

Since it's Halloween, I guess we'll be watching The Exorcist tonight. Also got YellowBrickRoad to check out, too, since that sounds interesting. Great thread, thanks!

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Crisco Kid posted:

David Fincher's The Game is more about straight-up paranoia. A rich investment banker approaches his 48th birthday, the same age his father committed suicide. What does his younger brother get for the depressed man who has everything? An invitation to play The Game -- a mysterious offering with no rules, no boundaries, and no clues as to who's in on it or not. He finds himself caught in The Game before he even knows it's begun.

Thanks for the recommendation! Just finished watching this and I'm still feeling a little tense.

I really liked the entire film, but (concerning the end) I feel that it was somewhat implausible, and very strange. An experience that would drive him to suicide would most likely have a drastic impact on his psyche. I can't imagine coming out of that and not being hosed in some way, much less being perfectly ok with it like he was.

Overall, though, it was a fantastic film. Surprised to see Fincher's name, further cementing him as one of my favorite directors.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

jeremy oval office posted:

Yep. "I live in the weak and the wounded."

I read that line as evidence that it was not supernatural, and that the potential to do horrible things lives inside all of us and waits only for the right trigger.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Has anyone seen Melancholia yet? I'm debating whether to see it this weekend.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

E the Shaggy posted:

Has anyone seen Melancholia yet? I'm debating whether to see it this weekend.

Saw it not too long ago. The opening and closing are amazing in a way reserved for von Trier, but then it's contrasted with a subdued moodiness that drives the narrative. It's well-shot, well-acted and well-written, for sure, but I felt like most of the human conflict was nullified by the more blatant symbolism of the title's namesake and its philosophical implications (which aren't really explored). Even then, there are some nice touches, like Udo Kier's darkly hilarious role or Dunst's surprising performance.

Pretty much, it's not really a movie that fits in this thread as the sci-fi elements take a back seat to an exploration of depression—but it's definitely worth the price of admission for the first ten minutes alone.

Also, I know Tarkovsky's Stalker has been mentioned in this thread before. Holy poo poo, I don't think a film has ever had such an overwhelming tone of slightly unsettling solitude. The way the Zone is realized is so fantastic, so tranquil. Towards the end, when the characters are sitting in front of the rain, I came to the conclusion that I had found my new favorite movie.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 11, 2011

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Not to dwell on Session 9, but it's worth mentioning this particular piece from the OST. It's one of the more unnerving compositions I've ever heard... and it's used loving EXPERTLY in the film/movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E47Zk8riCO4

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Heavy Petting posted:

Not to dwell on Session 9, but it's worth mentioning this particular piece from the OST. It's one of the more unnerving compositions I've ever heard... and it's used loving EXPERTLY in the film/movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E47Zk8riCO4

Jesus. That sounds like the music playing at the Do Lung bridge in Apocalypse Now. I had to double check to see if it was the same piece.

NilkNarf
Apr 24, 2005

...if you're into the blight.

I caught Jean Rollin's The Iron Rose/La Rose de Fer on TCM last night and it creeped me out. It's a decent, emotionally manipulative psychological horror film with scant, if any, supernatural elements. It's pretty light on plot, never straying from its basic premise: a man and woman decide to stroll through a crumbling provincial cemetery on a date. They lose track of time while getting it on in a crypt, and when they emerge into the night they can't find their way out of the graveyard and they begin to unravel.

It's a very darkly lit movie, with a ton of decay and overgrowth, giving off this feeling of abandonment. And the two characters go from being this attractive young French couple to straight up loathsome monsters in no time at all, forcing you to hate them (I think it was intentional, but I could be mistaken), which is pretty unpleasant.

I wouldn't say it's a great movie, or even a really good representation of the genre, but it's definitely scary and worth a watch.

NilkNarf fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 13, 2011

Asterie
Oct 24, 2010

I can't believe Martyrs hasn't been mentioned here! It's hard to explain the plot without giving too much away, and also it's basically two movies in one in a sense. But it's about a girl who gets kidnapped and severely abused and she seeks revenge years later (I hate putting it like this, since there's so much more to it, but that's the gist of it).

Trailer can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNpDiQimK6U

Honestly, though, I'd just skip the trailer and watch the movie. It's an incredible movie and in retrospect the trailer is just confusing, haha.

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008

Asterie posted:

I can't believe Martyrs hasn't been mentioned here! It's hard to explain the plot without giving too much away, and also it's basically two movies in one in a sense. But it's about a girl who gets kidnapped and severely abused and she seeks revenge years later (I hate putting it like this, since there's so much more to it, but that's the gist of it).

Trailer can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNpDiQimK6U

Honestly, though, I'd just skip the trailer and watch the movie. It's an incredible movie and in retrospect the trailer is just confusing, haha.

While Martyrs is really, really good, I think the reason it's been left out here is the thread is for non-gore. I love Martyrs, but it's pretty gory, not to mention tortury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Asterie posted:

I can't believe Martyrs hasn't been mentioned here!

Is this a joke? Martyrs is the kind of movie that the thread is specifically NOT about.

• Locked thread