Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Anal Surgery posted:

Just finished Kill List on this thread's recommendation...

:stare:

Can someone give their take on it? I mean, I get that it's essentially a hitman movie filmed like a horror movie. Very clever, very well made, very unsettling... Can someone walk me thru their interpretation of what the titular list was all about and what they think the ending meant? The film obviously dealt heavily with themes of religion and class, I sort of took the list to be an "initiation" of sorts. As in, the main character had to put a bullet in his country's Religion, in its Vices, in its Elite, and finally in his own family to be crowned some sort of Neitzchean ubermensch. I'm just curious as to what everyone else got out of it, besides it being just a very well crafted thriller.

"Well crafted thriller" pretty much sums up my take on it, but there's a few specific instances that really blew me away. The scene early on with the sword fight between the main character and his wife/son is just unbelievably perfect on the second watch. Also, the way the film essentially changes genres halfway through really sold me on Ben Wheatley's directing abilities. I got to meet him at Fantastic Fest a month ago and he was incredibly warm and receptive, more than happy to chat with a passing fan. I more or less fanboyed the heck out, but I could tell he really appreciated it. His new film, A Field in England is worth a watch as well, despite being quite a far toss from Kill List - denser dialogue, minimalistic plotting, more visually-engaging, but overall still an entertaining film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

tenniseveryone posted:

Throwing in a third recommendation for House Of The Devil, and basically anything Ti West does. I just watched his latest, The Sacrament, and really enjoyed it. It's filmed as a VICE documentary - with authentically obnoxious presenters - going to investigate a Jonestown-style cult. The tension and atmosphere build really well and, of course, the ending is totally traumatising.

I saw The Sacrament last year at Fantastic Fest and was completely underwhelmed. I'm typically a huge fan of cult-related fiction like this but it was just so predictable that I couldn't get into it. There was little to no mystery aside from the cult leader, who ultimately ends up being a very generic villain. For reference, though, I went absolutely bonkers for Kill List which, in my opinion, works the cult angle much more skillfully and with significant, heavy suspense.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

monkey posted:

Just watched Coherence and thought it was worth mentioning in this thread. It's not a horror, but if you liked Triangle you'll like this one too.

I saw this one at Fantastic Fest last year as well and really enjoyed it. Apparently most of the dialogue was improvised, they just sort of let the actors jump into their characters for each scene which is fairly unheard of in science fiction. For most of the running time I was afraid of how it would end - with a film as complex as it is it would be easy for them to gently caress it up. Thankfully it sticks the landing and wraps up with a very character-focused conclusion that makes sense within the boundaries of the metaphysical fuckery instead of just more metaphysical fuckery.

The Clap fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 26, 2014

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

I'll take any opportunity to talk about Kill List. Christ, what a fantastic movie. One of the main things that I think makes it so visceral and raw is the cinematography and editing.

Lighting-wise the film clearly uses a lot of natural light and is just realistically lit in pretty much every scene. That means most shots are fairly dark, the lighting uneven across faces and figures, but man does it feel textured. The constant shoulder rig-heavy handheld cinematography helps toward this feeling as well, removing "cleanliness" from each shot and producing a feeling of uneasiness, tension and immense pressure.

The editing is phenomenal as well. First of all, the film is relatively short for a feature but this is by no means a bad thing. It's just so dense and the story moves along at a perfect speed. The many, many jump cuts and generally broken rhythm of the edit gives the film this feeling of ephemerality, stress and tension.

I could keep going about every aspect of the movie. loving love Kill List

• Locked thread