Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

PateraOctopus posted:

The conceptual similarities are there, but the thematic ones aren't. Both involve space voyages taking a turn for the horrific, but they're both about very, very different things.

Yeah, a lot of the danger the crew of the Icarus 2 faces is that space around them is openly hostile to human life and their ship is so very, very fragile. Even before they get to the movie takes a turn, they've already lost half the crew do to irreparable damage to the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

penismightier posted:

It's almost as good as Wages of Fear, and it uses the setting much better. That image is actually a really accurate look at what it's like.

Wasn't there a thread here that compared the two and found Sorcerer to be superior?

I'm not sure if I agree, but I did watch Wages of Fear a while back and found the Las Piedras to be a rustic paradise filled with comical characters (gently caress, the names of the Mario Brothers come from here) and beautiful women, compared to the Venezuelan shithole where people on the run go to slowly die of Sorcerer. A place where there's only one woman for a 100 men and you would do anything to get out of, like drive a truck full of sweating dynamite through the jungle.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I think it's best if there is only one District 9 film. The ambiguous ending of the film works fine for the film and any sequel would not live up to the potentials setup by that ending.

It would be good if "Chappie" was also related to "Tempbot". Both "Tetra Vaal" and "Tempbot" could essentially be different aspects of the same technology.

Anything more substantial for "Elysium"? District 9 at least had a website around this time in preproduction.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Heavy Petting posted:

Not to dwell on Session 9, but it's worth mentioning this particular piece from the OST. It's one of the more unnerving compositions I've ever heard... and it's used loving EXPERTLY in the film/movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E47Zk8riCO4

Jesus. That sounds like the music playing at the Do Lung bridge in Apocalypse Now. I had to double check to see if it was the same piece.

• Locked thread