Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snak posted:

My horror-movie-watching buddy

I miss the time when my friends cared about movies. Now they just play Magic the Gathering all the god drat time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ulio posted:

I was actually hoping this to be some sort of dark comedy but it seems to be taking itself too serious.

The best dark comedies take themselves seriously. That's like half the battle, coming off as sincere.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ulio posted:

But a dark comedy ultimately has a meaningful premise or message it wants to deliver. What is this movie about? Racism? Cults? If it is on racism that has to be the most cartoonish look on racism ever. Basically white people want to enslave black people. I don't think racism today has anything to do with that and more about class divide in some states.

Well I am no expert on modern day Racism issues in US but this movie doesn't seem good at all. If it was suppose to be a suspenseful/thriller type movie they ruined all the plot in the trailer. Imagine Se7en's trailer showing the box scene and Kevin Spacey as the bad guy basically the trailer for this movie ruined what this type of movie was going for.

Not really trying to pick a fight here, because if you don't think the movie looks good that's whatever, but this post doesn't contradict anything I said in response to your initial complaint that the movie is "too serious".

For the actual movie itself, it appears to me that movie is more about "domesticating" black people. A rich white suburb hypnotizing black people into being the "good ones". Which is a major component of American racism, imo. Subservience is definitely part of it, it's why the trailer shows a gardener and a maid* that were hypnotized. It's not just a matter of making someone work for you, it's getting them to think that they want to work for you. You strip them of their culture, their identity, and install one that is compatible with your oppression.

*There does appear to be class divides at play with the friend at the beginning telling the protagonist to "not come back all bougie." A gardener and maid are also specifically "low class" labor positions which in the modern era of capitalism is pretty drat close to slavery. Upper Class white society vs any class of black society. I say any class here because the trailer doesn't make it explicit which class the protagonist is from, and while I can infer "somewhat middle class" that's an assumption on my part and not necessarily a safe one.

• Locked thread