Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Stalker (1979).

I love Tarkovsky in the same way I love Dmitri Shostakovich. His works might not be particularly accessible (or even pleasant) but they have an emotional impact that goes beyond that of contemporary films.

For example, the "car ride through a futuristic city" scene from Solaris is really almost too long for its own good, but it fits in with the theme of the film so well that you don't really have much of a choice but to watch it intently. And I'd say that the final scene where Kris looks through a window into his father's house and sees it raining inside (to demonstrate that he has gone "home" only by landing on Solaris itself) is one of the most bizarre and yet poignant moments from any sci-fi film.

That said, I'd kill to see a version of Solaris based more closely on Lem's book, such that the emphasis was placed more strongly on the alien intelligence that makes up Solaris rather than the psychologies of the humans involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

weekly font posted:

no no no no no

Both Cube sequels are completely terrible, especially Zero.

Cube 2 was one of the only movies after which I literally said, "oh, okay, whatever." It's not that I disliked the film or anything either. I just honestly didn't care enough about any of the characters or plot elements to form an opinion one way or another. I sat through a few of the DVD extras, hoping that something would either salvage the story or at least apologize for it, but I quickly came to the conclusion that there's really nothing about the story that would make me give two tugs of a dead dog's dick about it.

The only thing that struck me was at the end where the woman is being debriefed, and afterwards she gives her superior officer one of the most insincere and possibly mocking salutes ever. Then some other guy shoots her in the head. gently caress, I don't even care enough to remember if that was the original ending or if it was an alternate ending from the DVD release.

The saving grace for the first film was that it at least left me with questions to consider. The only question Cube 2 left me with was, "Seriously?"

• Locked thread