Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Asphalt Engine posted:

This is really, really NOT a psychological thriller. I have nothing against the movie but you might as well be putting up Shaun of the Dead or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Seventh Arrow posted:

One of my all-time favourite suspense-laden scary movies is The Broken. Without giving too much away, the movie begins with a woman who sees a woman looking identical herself driving a car down the street and decides to follow her to her apartment. From there, a theme about doppelgangers and their intentions develops, although thankfully the film never tries to explain too much. I found that the things that some critics disliked about the film (the slow pacing, the re-use of thematic music) are exactly what I loved about it. It's definitely different, and very creepy.

Eehhhhh.... I wouldn't call this a bad movie at all but I it left me kind of cold. I admit this is mostly because I thought this was going to be a lot more cerebral and more of a "descending into madness" movie than it was. I think that's why it gets a lot of "too slow" from critics; the deliberate pacing contributes to an air of mystery that isn't really earned by the very straight-ahead plot. It becomes very apparent that halfway through the movie this is literally about evil dopplegangers breaking through the mirror and killing/replacing the real-life person and that's not a bad plot at all, but it's just kind of like, if you're going to be so obvious about it then why not just tell us up front instead of taking half the movie to get to "she's not crazy, this poo poo's really happening?" And the twist at the end isn't really surprising either.

All this probably sounds overly harsh. I just had a real specific reason why this didn't hit the spot for me and I wanted to be sure I got the idea across.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Asterie posted:

I can't believe Martyrs hasn't been mentioned here!

Is this a joke? Martyrs is the kind of movie that the thread is specifically NOT about.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
His more straight-ahead horror work is being discussed in the horror thread of course, but keeping in theme with the thread, I think Red Eye and many parts of Scream and A Nightmare on Elm Street show Craven definitely had a knack for more psychological, suspense-oriented work along with his shockers.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The new Poltergiest is a fine flick that has the misfortune of being a Poltergeist remake. To think how EASILY they could have just made it a loose sequel and it'd be free to do its own thing instead of feeling obligated to directly recall the original movie's key moments. It probably would have done better business that way, too.

(Also, the previews tried too hard to make it look like Insidious, they should have embraced that it's less 'chilling' but funner and bigger in scope).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^ Speaking of which, Rings is scheduled for release in two months and we haven't seen so much as a teaser poster for it. I can't imagine it's going to make it out this year, let alone for that release date.

• Locked thread