Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PateraOctopus posted:

I've heard good things about this film, though I have yet to see it. I'm curious--does it distance itself from Man Bites Dog or does it acknowledges it in any way? Given the very similar premises and this movie's film-aware nature it'd seem almost suspicious not to address it in some way.

It never directly addresses it, but while the plot is similar, it's way different in tone than Man Bites Dog. Honestly, it has more in common with the Scream movies; it's riffing more on the tropes of the Slasher genre than on actual real-life serial killers.

It's pretty okay, but apart from maybe one 30 second sequence about halfway through the movie, it's never even close to scary. I mean, I don't really even think it's trying to be. It's a comedy above all else, I don't think it really belongs in this thread. The lead actor owns, though, and it's worth a watch if you're a horror fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dalai Lamacide posted:

I've never seen "The Thing" or "Prince of Darkness" but I've heard very good things about "The Thing", and the other one pretty much has to be good.

I'd rank Prince of Darkness as being decent-to-good, but The Thing is really loving amazing. Like, up there with the original Alien. Definitely see it.

I gotta say, though, I feel like the only dude on the internet who wasn't into In the Mouth of Madness. It had a neat premise and its hard to go wrong with Sam Neill/Jurgen Prochnow, but it also just had, like, way too many jump scares to be effective as a horror movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Strange Days is a scifi crime thriller that is almost literally psychological: the story is facilitated by a small device that, when placed on the head, records the wearer's experiences and allows others to relive them in full five-senses immersion, as if the memories are their own.

"Set in the year 1999 during the last days of the old millenium, the movie tells the story of Lenny Nero, an ex-cop who now deals with data-discs containing recorded memories and emotions. One day he receives a disc which contains the memories of a murderer killing a prostitute. Lenny investigates and is pulled deeper and deeper in a whirl of blackmail, murder and rape. Will he survive and solve the case?"

It's set in Los Angeles and weaves through themes of voyeurism, police brutality, sadism and racism that feels more grounded and authentic than a lot of regular crime dramas I've seen.

This movie is great. But if the OP is still asking for no movies with violence against women, then this is the worst movie you could possibly suggest. The rape/murder scene in this is loving brutal.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Old Boot posted:

EDIT: What makes it more unnerving in general is what the director ended up doing none too long ago. Not quite as comparable to the Jeepers Creepers poo poo, but there's a rather long article about what he did, and his films show an incredibly distinct pattern. After the two counts of vehicular manslaughter, I'm honestly shocked that he's still allowed to make films.

This is a really fascinating and sad story that I had never heard despite being a huge fan of The Hitcher and Near Dark. Thanks for sharing it.

edit: i just crossposted it over in Gen Chat, great article.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 24, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

I mentioned it in the recommend me thread last week, glad someone else has seen it.

Hands down one of the best movies i've seen recently. Saw it with no reviews or trailers, and glad of it

Yeah I saw it at a sci-fi movie marathon last February completely cold and I really dug it. I keep waiting for it to pop up on Netflix so I can rewatch it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Admiral Goodenough posted:

For what it's worth, the IMDb page claims that the dialogue was largely improvised.

Yeah I saw it with one of the actors doing a Q&A afterwards and he said they didn't have a script so much as a rough outline.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah Horns adds some additional hosed up pacing issues to a book that was already riddled with pacing issues. very disappointing to see something that shoddy come out of an Alexandre Aja/Joe Hill collab.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Radcliffe was actually surprisingly good. weird example of a movie that's way less than the sum of its parts.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ehud posted:

I have no idea where else to post this, so uh, is anyone else surprised at the positive reception that The Gift is getting? It's at 91% on RT, "The Gift is wickedly smart and playfully subversive, challenging the audience's expectations while leaving them leaning on the edges of their seats."

The trailers on TV look kind of cheesy, but the positive reviews have made me curious, so I'm gonna go see it this weekend.

i haven't seen any previews but i like Joel Edgerton on the basis of Animal Kingdom and The Rover so i'm glad that it sounds to be good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Periodiko posted:

As a kid, I saw Lord of Illusions on TV twice and it really affected me, to the extent that despite having really fond memories of the movie I almost don't want to watch it again because I have a feeling it won't live up to that memory. I remember it as a very strange, bleak, unpredictable film, and it enkindled in me a love of dark occultism and urban fantasy-horror in fiction.

edit: hey whats the best version of this movie, the theatrical cut or the director's cut?

director's cut, no question. the theatrical cut is borderline incomprehensible and cuts a couple of the best scenes in the movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

I thought The Conjuring was total garbage. Like it was one cliche after another until it finally ended. The only thing that wasn't cliche about it was that it had kind of a happy ending, I think?

the plot's nothing new, but it shares Insidious' biggest strength: an unusually well-written, well-acted cast of intelligent adults. plus the John Leonetti cinematography is real good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

All very good points. I also thought it was funny how much time they spend sitting around, being bored as hell. I kept thinking, no wonder all they think about is loving eachother.

young people in a nutshell.

i love the ending, although like a lot of horror movies, the way they "defeat" the monster is vague and doesn't make a lot of sense, and i can see how that would bug somebody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Session 9 is great. i really love Brad Anderson's directorial style, he's got a few extremely solid films under his belt, lotta good TV work too (including one of the best Wire episodes)

• Locked thread