Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Factor Mystic posted:

Huh, not bad, but not mind blowing. I can't tell if it would've been better if they didn't tell us what was going on right off the bat.

By the way, do you (or anyone) know what song is playing about the 25m mark? As he's driving around?
The thing about Special though, is that there keep being hints that something else may actually be going on.. Such as the scene where he's chasing a guy - suddenly Rappaport's character is on top of a building and has a lead on the guy, then leaps off the roof and tackles him without much harm.

There were a few spots where, the second time I watched the movie - I did a double-take and had to stop and go, "hey wait, there'es no loving way any human could have done that! What is going on?"

Rhyno posted:

Other than Groundhog Day I'm stressing to think of another movie where the entire timeline cycles.

Oh poo poo, mentioning GD was bannable at one point.
I can't recall any actual movies offhand although I'd swear there have been some. Many if not most serial supernatural drama shows have a "Groundhog Day episode" though, where one or both of the main characters has to spend a mini-eternity repeating something until it's done right. It's sort of a common thing in shows which have a lot of "monster of the week" filler. I'm pretty sure Eureka had one, and maybe Supernatural pr Torchwood.

Then again, the "oh no I'm a ghost and stuck in the real world where nobody can see me and I can barely touch anything or communicate" comes remarkably close to the same overall storyline ie man versus the world, where the character has to divine the limitations of their circumstances and then use it.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I love this movie so much.
I have to say I gained a larger appreciation for it after finding out about its limitations - until that point, I'd thought it was just another M Night Shyamalayan w/ Mark Wahlberg "The happening" without being as completely boring/stupid/pointless.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Strontosaurus posted:

I hate that another movie called The Signal came out because this is one of my most-recommended films of all-time.
I doubt you have much to be concerned about as to whether or not anyone will confuse the two - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2910814/

"On a road trip, Nic and two friends are drawn to an isolated area by a computer genius"

:argh: damned computer geniuses luring innocent people into isolated areas! Those bastards how dare they!?"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Toad Road. I really liked it. I'm bad at describing things but I don't feel like it needs a whole lot of explaining. It's a hybrid documentary/horror movie. There's a lot of (real) drugs. I think it'll probably be more poignant for people who have a history with drugs. But I think it's worth watching for everyone else. I have never seen anything quite like it.
Weird trivia, one of the actresses died from an overdose shortly after the movie was completed and premiered.

Also, I really liked Shrooms.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Skyscraper posted:

Odd Thomas is aggressively terrible. I dislike Dean Koontz but I'm usually of the opinion that he can hit one or two decent horror notes per book, but Odd Thomas is utterly without merit. I have to imagine the book was better than that to actually get funding for a movie.
The book wasn't really much better, it just had a lot less of Thomas magically stopping blatant mall-terrorists by himself, and a lot more sad creepy epilogue where he spends a whole lot of time having sex with the ghost of his girlfriend. For some reason Koontz really seemed to like the character or had a contract so he kept making GBS threads out more books with puns involving the word "Odd," iirc.

The idea behind Odd Thomas the book was kind of solid however, once you've read a few Koontz' books, you realize that they're all just fluff pre-written to be put onto a movie script. Although I thought Hideaway was a great book (when I was 14 or so) he movie was kind of a great example of what happens when Koontz gets (another) film treatment.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 2, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Snak posted:

The no adults thing is pretty clever. The person I watched the movie with didn't even realize the whole thing was a metaphor for sex, and the physical and emotional dangers that are associated with it, until we talked about it the next day. The fact that the movie is about teenagers trying to allay their fears by having sex with each other even though they don't fully understand the rules or potential consequences, and they have no role models to turn to, is genius.

edit: added spoiler tags because it's a mild spoiler for people going in blind.
My problem with It Follows is largely that I already was aware that pretty much every horror/slasher film is about sex, and how anyone who breaks the list of social niceties (don't have sex, don't drink, don't misbehave) ends up dead by the usually-supernatural force which is after them for some (usually) inexplicable reason.

It Follows is literally just stripping everything else away form every teen fright film over the last like 30-40 years. When I'm watching the movie and thinking that it's a frame without form, I'm bored.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Got a few more blind watches lined up, next up will be Unfriended. Blind watches are the best watches. gently caress trailers. If more than a few people seem to like it on IMDB and the one sentence synopsis seems remotely interesting, that's good enough for me.
I will never be able to watch Unfriended because the cover art and the title make me erupt in laughter. Not even Human Centipede style laughter but, "this was literally made for people who're into recent urban legends."

Picture of a 13 year-old girl crying, under "UNFRIENDED". I think that I've seen enough

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Coffeehitler posted:

Watched this and, what the hell. So (entire movie summation/spoiler) He's Lucifer, the town is full of absolutely terrible people/psychopaths, she's a bit nutty from being kidnapped and raped a bunch as a kid and they fall in love at the end?

Not bad, but the end is just like "Well, we couldn't think of any other way to end this so here you go". It does have a bit of gore, but nothing too bad.
You could think of it like The Last Starfighter, except with a lot more child abuse and a longer payoff.

I'm just happy to see Davos get a happy ending.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Basebf555 posted:

Yea when someone says they're getting a group of friends together for a double feature of psychological horror, I assume they're into it enough that they've already seen The Shining.

What about Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer?
This movie made me have nightmares about Michael Rooker. Good choice.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I watched The Collectorand The Collection the other day and I'm glad I got to see them side by side. They were both completely ludicrously over the top to the point I broke into laughter a few times (my defensive reaction to my own discomfort at some body-horror scenes, and because it was super ridiculous). I'd recommend doing them back to back though to keep continuity between them.

I'm still trying to figure out how the gently caress that guy snuck into the house and set up all that poo poo in the space of like, one long evening after the contracting crew left their job site, in the first movie though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Came across a new movie called The Survivalist, about a man scraping to survive in a never-described apocalyptic setting. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2580382/ I'm not sure why it's rated so low on IMDB, possibly because it's a lot like The Road in that there's almost no dialogue, and a lot of harsh, ugly poo poo happens.

The main plot is about the man meeting two women, and all three of them trying to figure out how to survive, and what hard choices they have to make. None of them ever really trust each other for most of the movie and once they do begin to trust, it gets worse.

It's not really horror although there are some really hard to watch scenes and some of your standard post-apoc stuff comes up here and there which definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat, and it's super bleak. I would strongly recommend it, even the coathanger abortion scene was really well done, because they relieved a lot of the tension and discomfort by cutting back and forth to a hare about to take the bait from a bear trap.

A lot better than The Road, imho (largely because the road was a badly televised version of the novel with a bunch of dumb poo poo added in), I hadn't realized how long I'd been tensed up and holding my breath until the movie was over.

Nominated for a BAFTA for outstanding directorial debut, and also won three different film awards as well.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 21, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
What if I saved you the trouble and just revealed that it's The Stepford Wives except with a couple black people

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'd say Hard Times was a massively horrifying movie but it is probably because the crazed ex marine in that movie was basically my old best friend except without a dog and with less strip clubs

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
oops, yeah.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Man it must be really rough to be a fragile white person these days and flip out every time you feel *personally attacked* by an allegorical piece of media about racism - especially when you would "otherwise have loved" something. Where were you guys when Elvis' (black-inspired) haircut was being shorn off? Oh yeah you were literally writing letters to the president about how it was an atrocity..!

Where were all of these butt-hurt defensive people up in arms for blind people and morlocks, when Plato was talking about people chained up inside of a cave and unable to look toward the light? Oh yeah they were too advantaged to give a drat

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ulio posted:

Is The Game with Michael Douglas with this category? I don't know if I should watch it but I am a fan of Fincher.

Also are there any other movies like TimeCrimes?
The only good thing about The Game with Michael Douglas is that there's some Janis Joplin in the soundtrack.

But seriously just go watch The Cable Guy, it's got a better soundtrack, and is smarter.

• Locked thread