Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Is that a found footage film? I don't remember the trailer...

If you enjoy found footage films on any level you MUST see As Above, So Below as soon as possible. Its the best use of that format I've ever seen for a bunch of different reasons. Its claustrophobic in a way that only found footage can be, it puts you in the shoes of a kick-rear end Indiana Jones type protagonist, and the premise even sets things up in a way that explains why nobody just drops the camera when poo poo goes south. It doesn't use the format as an excuse to keep the really interesting stuff just out of frame, and the acting is pretty drat solid, especially for the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Factor Mystic posted:

It's not a bad movie, but the beginning (after the opening Iran scene, which was neat) is kind of eye rollingly goofy and the unspooling of events didn't quite all fit together.

For example why is are only some characters "sins" thrown back at them while other people are left alone (third wheel guy at the end) while other people are straight up murdered (spelunking chick & the documentary guy) while some people are actually killed by their haunting (main spelunker guy with the burning car).

I did like that the stone ghouls could basically be pushed out of the way. I guess when you venture through the paranormal, bring a baseball bat :)

Another question: Why did her dad (I guess) appear hanged in the cave in Iran? We were told it was a suicide and presumably he didn't kill himself IN the excavation site where all the soldiers were going around who would have seen him? And there was no paranormal occurrence in that location or at that time, so not an apparition.

There's several cool moments with a lot of eye rolling in between. I did like the ending though. Versus miscellaneous things I've watched also mentioned in this thread, marginally better than Time Lapse, not quite as tight as Coherence in terms of how it holds up after viewing.

The version of hell presented in AASB isn't really supposed to be fully comprehensible to the point that you can just lay out a set of rules that will make sense of everything. For instance, at the beginning when she sees her father hanging, I interpret that as hell/her sins/her obsession reaching out; showing themselves despite the fact that she hadn't literally entered hell yet. Its almost as if hell is calling to her. But you don't have to necessarily interpret it that way, that's the point. I believe that scene is there so that we will have this exact conversation. We're meant to leave the theatre with those things on our mind, and it encourages and rewards re-watching the movie multiple times.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

The idea behind Odd Thomas the book was kind of solid however, once you've read a few Koontz' books, you realize that they're all just fluff pre-written to be put onto a movie script. Although I thought Hideaway was a great book (when I was 14 or so) he movie was kind of a great example of what happens when Koontz gets (another) film treatment.

He's written so many books and a bunch of them have some really creative and interesting ideas so I'm actually surprised more of them haven't been made into films. Lightning for instance stands out to me as a novel that was just begging to be made into a movie but its never been adapted at all in any form.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

rvm posted:

Re-watched The Changeling (1980). Still the best haunted house movie I've seen. Tight script, great atmosphere and suspense and pretty good acting to boot.

I saw The Changeling just recently because I found it for $5 at Barnes & Noble, I couldn't pass up that price. Anyway it instantly earned a place in my yearly Halloween movie marathon, its great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uroboros posted:

Kind of got burned by It Follows...I don't mind movies going for a slow burn to buildup tension, but this movie held almost zero suspense for me. Sadly, I went in excited that a horror could garner such high viewer ratings and bought it on iTunes. While it wasn't "bad" I wouldn't of paid money for it. Heck, I found the Babadook more suspenseful and even that was a but of a let down.

Just curious, what are some of your favorite horror films from the past ten years or so?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uroboros posted:

Well strictly going by the last decade I've been a tad disappointed, but movies like: Cabin in the woods, the mist, let the right one in, and Insidious were all pretty decent, but aside from Cabin which is easily amongst my top 5, everything has kind of been bland to me. The Conjuring was a huge let down for example, and I had heard nothing but good things.

Movies like Event Horizon, The Thing, and In The Mouth of Madness occupy my favorites list. Horror that has structure is usually my favorite, and honestly this is why It Follow's failure to capture my attention annoys me. The rules are established early on, there is no bullshit changing of the rules for the sake of scaring the crowd or shoehorning in a dumb cliffhanger ending. Perhaps there just isn't enough encounters with the monster to keep the dread going, and to much focus on teen angst(which I get confusion over sex is the metaphor) but I feel they were just to heavy with it.

Well you're taste is fairly similar to mine, I don't think Cabin in the Woods is an all-time great like you do, even so the movies you list are some of my recent favorites too. I was pretty disappointed by The Conjuring as well.

Interesting then that you didn't like It Follows, but this stuff can be unpredictable. I definitely disagree with you about the tension in the movie, for me that was one of the biggest positives. Because of the nature of the monster and the rules that they set up, the tension was there in literally every single scene, regardless of how "safe" the location seemed to be.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 5, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Were't they trying to prove their father's innocence, or something? It's been awhile, so I don't remember all the finer details of the premise.

Yea Gillan's character wanted to prove that the mirror killed her parents, but proving it to the world wasn't as important as proving it to herself and her brother. She thought that was the only way for them to really move on with their lives and put the mirror behind them. If she had just smashed the mirror right away she'd never truly know that she was right.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coffeehitler posted:

Wouldn't the first reveal that the mirror's effects were real (the first "ring" of plants dying) have been sufficient to indicate, if not prove, that the mirror was affecting other things and supported the idea that the mirror corrupts living things in the buildings around it? That, along with the history of deaths following it, should have proven at least to herself (and at least allowed the brother to allow for) the mirror's involvement in the murder suicide.

My feelings on 'Oculus' were that it was let down by the ending, though it made sense with the context of the misery following the mirror. And holy poo poo, is Starbuck hot with red hair :heysexy:.

This is a person who lives in the same world we live in, the real world, and she's been living her entire adult life not knowing if she's crazy or not. She's an intelligent, rational person who has this memory from her past that her adult mind can't justify.

What would it take for you to believe that a mirror was sentient, evil, and trying to kill you? What kind of evidence would satisfy you? And I'm talking about the real-world you that actually exists, not movie-character you.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coffeehitler posted:

I must have missed the "Based on a True Story" part of the credits.

That said, there was nothing else to indicate that it was a "realistic" horror. If it was shakey-cam or body-cam for everything but the flashbacks, I'd base my analysis in reality. As it is, you have to base any discussion on the film's mythos, as you would with the Halloween/Elm Street/Evil Dead series'. Or do you say that those are in the real world also?

You're being pedantic.

What you're describing is the entire gimmick of the film. There are plenty of stories and films about cursed objects, the draw of Oculus is that the main characters are taking a "realistic" approach to observing and documenting the supernatural events. They do stuff that other horror movie characters don't do in their preparations, and they go into it with all the background that most films only let their characters find out when its already too late.

This discussion isn't about the film's mythos, which is just as far from reality as anything in Elm Street or Evil Dead. We're talking about the actions of the characters, which is what separates Oculus from a lot of other horror films and is what attracted a lot of people to the trailer when it was first released.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MagnumOpus posted:

Please watch Berberian Sound Studio and report back. I am really curious to hear what you think, but I don't want to say why for fear of giving you too much information.

Is there some sort of twist to that movie that I didn't understand? Its certainly not a straightforward film but not really the kind of film that's meant to be "solved" like a puzzle either.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you're a big horror fan then Insidious is great because its a mix that you rarely see. Haunted house/possession movies usually start low-key and stay that way throughout, maybe with an intense scene or two thrown in to spice things up. You don't see them just go completely off the rails the way Insidious does, its very surprising and refreshing, especially for American horror.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's extremely good. There's nothing in the first half that doesn't set up the second half, there's no grim, realistic tone that it abandons.

Its not a tonal thing, its that Insidious goes further(no pun intended I swear) with its ideas than people are used to. In most movies this whole shadow world would be hinted at and referenced but you wouldn't actually see it or get to watch the characters go into it and explore it. Kinda like Poltergeist.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You find out everything you need to know about It in the when her boyfriend ties her to a chair and explains what's happening. Any other specific details would ruin it. I like the scene where they track him down, thinking that they'll force him to give them more information about It. He pretty much tells them what they already know because he, like them, has no clue what It really is or what its motivations are.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skyscraper posted:

Would people consider Kill List a psychological horror movie?

There's no way I'd show Kill List to a decent sized group of friends, at least a few are pretty much guaranteed to hate it. Its really not for everyone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea when someone says they're getting a group of friends together for a double feature of psychological horror, I assume they're into it enough that they've already seen The Shining.

What about Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skyscraper posted:

If your friends didn't like Kill List, get new friends.

Its surprisingly tough to maintain an entire group of friends who all like Kill List.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Just looked up this movie since I hadn't heard of it. Sounds pretty interesting. At first I thought you were talking about Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon but that's got a slightly comedic tone to it. The one you mentioned seems much darker.

Yea definitely don't go into Henry thinking its going to be anything like The Rise of Leslie Vernon. Its legit one of the most disturbing movies ever made.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Perhaps a hamster posted:

FWIW, I hated Kill List, but Session 9 is one of my favourites and I like it just as much on every rewatch.

I think it's less about it being a slow burn and more about if the characters and atmosphere click with you. I could buy Session 9 characters as real people and thought atmosphere was top notch and haunting, Kill List just seemed disjointed and there was something about the writing/acting that reminded me more of a student film. Probably doesn't help that I live in England and half the cast sounded like they're from Coronation Street.

Yea I don't think Kill List and Session 9 are very similar at all. Session 9 has a fairly straightforward narrative, so you don't feel like you have to constantly be figuring out what's going on. Kill List is a lot more demanding, I think "disjointed" is a good way to put it. There's a lot in it that you have to piece together yourself, and some people aren't into that kind of thing or even if they are a movie night with friends may not be the best atmosphere for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

I've gotta watch Session 9. I've seen you guys talk about it for years and somehow I've just never watched it.

Its got David Caruso doing his usual thing, but David Caruso is like the cilantro of acting. If he's a turn off then he's going to ruin Session 9 for you.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If a horror movie is good then 20 minutes of character development isn't pointless at all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

9 times out of 10 its just to establish that one character has a crush on another character, and possibly a third character is jealous. And then they all die anyway.

I said a good horror movie. Not a by-the-numbers slasher.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I suppose maybe he's referencing AvP: Requiem as a movie where everybody dies, therefore the 10-15 minutes of character poo poo at the beginning is pointless.

Except everybody doesn't die, and the backstories at the beginning of the movie explain why certain characters act the way they do, and survive. So its not really pointless at all...

Its a mediocre movie, but the character scenes(like the kid delivering the pizza)aren't the problem. Its enough of a live action comic book as it is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Hey, I have a question for all of you who've seen Under the Skin. Specifically, a question about 1:32 in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5auc-EIUtk.

There is something special about that moment. I've seen some hosed up poo poo in movies, and I'm guessing you all have too. Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Ichi the Killer, that moment in Bone Tomahawk where that guy gets split in two (gently caress that movie btw). The faces of the dead kids in Ring hosed me up too. But nothing has made me feel the kind of terror that Under the Skin did. It hits me in the chest, like someone taking a battering ram to my heart.

I hope I'm not alone in this, because my question is: what do you think makes that moment so uniquely terrifying? It's a fairly mild scene, all things considered. It's just a couple dudes floating in water until 1:32. It's not even that graphic.

Sorry if this is a dumb post, but this is something I've been thinking about for a while. I can't come up with an answer, and you all seem to be smart people, so I thought I'd ask.

Not dumb at all, I love discussing Under the Skin and that moment in particular is absolute genius. Probably the most viscerally disturbing scene I've seen for a long time.

I think a lot of it is about how it builds and builds, as you slowly realize that something is not right with this guy's body, and then BAM right as you're processing that you get clobbered over the head. Technically speaking, there's a musical sting that happens that I think adds a lot to the scene and helps make you completely leap out of your chair. I'd technically call it a jump scare, and one of the all-time great ones at that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

sticklefifer posted:

"Why don't they just leave" seemed to be addressed pretty naturally to me. People tend to act irrationally tolerant of awkward situations when it's a social event and they want to avoid having a falling out or making a social faux pas by skipping out on hosts and friends they haven't seen in a long time. Most of the characters had reasons for wanting to stay, or weren't completely freaked out, or wanted to be there for people other than the hosts. When people did try to leave, there were either consequences or people there to talk them out of it, and only once did someone want to leave badly enough that they couldn't be talked down.

Yea I agree with this. It seemed like the movie went out of its way to explain the motivations for each individual character and why they'd end up staying at the party, and even threw in one guest who did get uncomfortable enough to get up and leave. I'm not sure what else could have been done.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Game is extremely well shot and just great looking overall, as is typical for Fincher, but I agree that it doesn't hold together very well as an actual movie. I might be due for a rewatch though, my opinion of Fincher has evolved somewhat since the last time I saw it(basically I saw Zodiac, a stone-cold masterpiece).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I saw The Conjuring 2 for the first time last week and I really just don't get what makes these movies so popular. They're competently made, and entertaining enough for a lazy Sunday, sure. But how they ended up making hundreds of millions is baffling to me, they're just so average. I guess one of the biggest things is Wilson and Farminga, the chemistry they have is very good.

• Locked thread