Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

There is a great tradition of ghost stories on Christmas Eve on British television, and although you have to appreciate the limited budget and outdated special effects, these made-for-TV movies have moments of genuine terror.

You are my hero. I'm going to track down The Signalman because I loving LOVE Vintage British Train Horror, which is a genre not exactly overpopulated in ANY medium, except lovely ghost story books which seem like high art when you're 14.

Something about the foggy atmosphere, the huge iron machines of the era and that slightly nihilistic regard for life makes for an excellent horror setting.

e: it's on youtube - of course - and ooh, it's a perfect thing. It looks exactly how I'd hoped, all single-pane glass and foggy indistinctness. And Elliott is the business, obviously.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Yeah, I saw it when I was about 7, and the scene where he calls out "hello below!" still sends shivers up my spine. If you're into that kind of spooky British TV horror, check out the stuff Nigel Kneale wrote in the 70's like "Beasts" (a collection of short tales) and "The Stone Tape".

Ta for those links, I'll check them out.

The Woman In Black is up in reasonable quality on youtube (make sure you select 480p) starting here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpl9pVHh8LA&feature=related

She is a genuinely chilling screen presence. Wow.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Wow, The Keep was on that list. There's an odd, odd film.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
That's the one. It's on youtube if you're curious.

It's a pretty terrible film but I wanted to see it when I saw some stills. It's one of those films that looks very mysterious and atmospheric in the promo stills and trailers, but it's shot to bits when you realise it's just another cheesey 80s horror. The look of the film is quite interesting, but that's buried under c-grade acting and editing and the normally dependable Ian McKellan going "nooooooo" a lot. I never watch these lovely horrors for the gore or kills, but for the tiny sparks of inventivness.

Someone posted the cover of the Sorcerer soundtrack they had on vinyl, which was this image:

That's an incredibly captivating, intriguing image. I imagine the film is probably rubbish. But it's that bait-and-switch that got me watching a lot of terrible films (like The Keep).

I saw Prince Of Darkness waaaaay too young. I'd just learned to believe that there was no such thing as ghosts and then I saw that, alone, in a new house we'd just moved into and I was "aw poo poo, no, they're real."

Probably would have been ok if I knew who Alice Cooper was.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

penismightier posted:

It's almost as good as Wages of Fear, and it uses the setting much better. That image is actually a really accurate look at what it's like.

The Keep isn't a terrible film, man! It's, like, half of a terrible film. But the first hour or so is pretty good... :(

I'll give it a go, then, if that's a reccomendation.

There's not really any legs in it as a thread but it would be cool to do a collection of good promo/publicity stills from films (as opposed to screencaps) because I quite often find them really evocative and they tend to capture the best part of a film. I can't find the ones from The Keep that made me want to watch it now, drat.

edit: here we go. Was hard to ignore that once I'd seen it.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 4, 2011

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Kolchak posted:

So anyway, seeing it mentioned in the same post, I tracked down The Woman In Black. Thank you thank you thank you. It's a bit of a slow start but it becomes everything I love in a good ghost story.

Yeah, just that screencap gives me a bit of a shiver. I guess it's the shape of her shilloutte but it's brilliantly effective. Actually horrible.

For years I thought the appearing in the bedroom scare was the ending, so the lake scene was a good surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

By Ghostwatch are you guys talking about the BBC 90s TV special? Because that and Incident at Lake County scared the hell out of me as a kid

I know the art director who did Ghostwatch - need to get some stories out of him about that.

• Locked thread