Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Craig Spradlin posted:

Cthulhu

A really well-done contemporary take on Lovecraft. It gets rid of all of the lurid, feverish aspects of his stories (as seen in, say, Dagon) to concentrate on the ideas of family, tradition, and inescapable destiny in the modern-day Pacific Northwest. The protagonist is a young man living in Seattle, who is called home to a small town in Oregon for his mother's funeral. Here we find out that he's estranged from his father, who is some kind of local religious figure. His family has expectations of him that he can't or doesn't want to fulfill, which is why he moved to Seattle in the first place. What follows is his slow entanglement in the problems of the town and the conflict with his family and tradition, against a backdrop of increasing global strife and rising oceans. The whole movie is pervaded with a dreamlike feeling of wrongness that reminds me of Roman Polanski's movies, complete with a segment reminiscent of Mia Farrow's rape scene in Rosemary's Baby.

Don't be deceived, this isn't a Lovecraft story at all. Its just named Cthulhu to trick fans into watching it. Just watch the trailer, and you will see it has nothing to do with Lovecraft's works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

PateraOctopus posted:

This would not in any way preclude it from being a good movie regardless.

True, but it bugs me how many movies claim themselves to be based on Lovecraft's work, but the only similarities are some names, maybe some plot elements, and that they are horror films. There still hasn't been any halfway decent adaptation of any of Lovecraft's works.

Also, I heard the film is pretty bad, with a heavy-handed message, bad acting and incomprehensible plot. Although, I didn't see the film myself for the aforementioned reasons, so I can't confirm that is a valid opinion.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Rhyno posted:

What happened at the end of source code?

The protagonist travels back in time, and manages to stop a bomb from going off and killing everybody on a train. Except he had to posses someone to go back in time, and he just permanently takes over their body. The protagonist never tells the guy's girlfriend what happened, and just continues the relationship. The movie never acknowledges this.

• Locked thread